The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

jokerman 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-26-05, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jokerman Click to send private message to jokerman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
Bunching rendered the first 3/4 of the show immaterial. The entire outcome of the show was based on how well the roadblock was executed. Running everyone up to a location that didn't open until mid morning the next day hurts the show. They really need to find a way to make all tasks in an eposide meaningful.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Welcome realitybites 01-26-05 1
   RE: Welcome Misty Twist 01-26-05 2
       Bunching mjames1229 01-26-05 3
           RE: Bunching ARnutz 01-27-05 8
       Welcome All Esbea 01-27-05 11
       RE: Welcome kgswifty 01-31-05 32
 RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Tahj 01-26-05 4
 RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Cleveland Guy 01-26-05 5
   RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Smooth23 01-26-05 6
       RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... ARnutz 01-27-05 9
       RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Esbea 01-27-05 12
           RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Cleveland Guy 01-27-05 15
               RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Esbea 01-28-05 18
           RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... dragonflies 01-28-05 19
               you disagree? Esbea 01-28-05 22
                   RE: you disagree? FreshlySqueezed 01-28-05 26
 RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Karragh 01-26-05 7
 RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Draco Malfoy 01-27-05 10
   RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... ginger 01-27-05 13
       RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... kgswifty 01-27-05 14
           RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Tahj 01-27-05 16
 RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... samiam 01-27-05 17
   RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Furious_George 01-28-05 20
       RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... seahorse 01-28-05 21
       RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Esbea 01-28-05 23
           RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... KMan 01-28-05 24
               RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... Misty Twist 01-28-05 25
                   RE: Bunching is destroying the cred... kgswifty 01-31-05 31
 Bunching done for a reason survivorscott 01-28-05 27
   Phil & the pit stop mavsfan 01-28-05 28
   RACE run differently, eliminates n... fandemonia 01-29-05 29
       RE: RACE run differently, eliminat... gerk 01-30-05 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-26-05, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Welcome"
Welcome to the boards. And welcome to the club. I've been complaining about the bunching since, oh, TAR3, and noted it since even before then. It is, to some extent, unavoidable, but it's getting out of hand now. I'm glad more people are noticing because we might actually get something done about it if enough people complain in enough places.

No horses were harmed in the creation of this post.

Misty Twist 33 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-26-05, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Misty%20Twist Click to send private message to Misty%20Twist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Welcome"
The bunching last night was by far the worst. Didn't Kris say something like it stinks to work so hard to do well just to have the teams catch up with you? I don't remember the exact qoute but it was right after they climbed the trees and were waiting for the bus.
She's right it does stink,it's unfair and not entertaining at all.

mjames1229 47 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mjames1229 Click to send private message to mjames1229 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Bunching"
As Kendra was throwing up early in the episode, then when we found out that they had to run the relay, my first thought was that she should just walk her leg.

Why? Bunching, of course. It was too early in the episode to not have two or three more bunches. There was at least one airport (Ethiopia), probably another (which we found out was in Dubai), and probably a bunch waiting for a train or bus.

Once the episode is 45 minutes in, then you can be pretty sure that they are done bunching for the leg.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-27-05, 07:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Bunching"
Welcome to the boards; jokerman, Misty Twist, mjames and to the others out there.

I agree, Kendra could've took it pretty easy in that relay race. The show made it seem like they just made the plane in time, however there was anothe inevitable bunching point later on.

This show is getting to the point where you can just watch the last 10 - 15 minutes and see the outcome. The only thing that makes me keep watching the entire episode is the interesting places they visit and the tasks.

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 08:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. " Welcome All"
I completely agree. This episode was nothing BUT bunching. This entire race so far has been a huge disappointment to me on many fronts.....the excessive bunching, the lack of any challenges that require a brain, and terrible casting. Without question, this has been the worst. race. ever.

Ive said it before, Ill say it again, anyone who is a "model" or "actor" should be immediately disqualified. They may look pretty, but they arent interesting or entertaining in the least. Give me the "Average Joe" teams any day of the week.

kgswifty 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-31-05, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kgswifty Click to send private message to kgswifty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Welcome"
LAST EDITED ON 01-31-05 AT 01:15 PM (EST)

At this point the producers should just give in to the monster they created.

I propose that TAR 8 should be the Celebrity Edition.

Bobby/Cindy vs. Peter/Jan vs. Greg/Marcia vs. Alice/Carol

They can save themselves time and appease Sherwood Schwartz by just re-titling the show "The Brady Bunch".

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-26-05, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
LAST EDITED ON 01-26-05 AT 02:45 PM (EST)

It really does take a lot of the excitement out it and it's not fair to the racers or viewers. The show should be renamed to "The Amazing Bunching" or "Bunching Around the World."

Cleveland Guy 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-26-05, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleveland%20Guy Click to send private message to Cleveland%20Guy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
No more than 1 bunching per show!

I don't mind the occasional bump, but having them go to that place, just to wait till 8:30 in the morning to get a clue and leave?

What the ???

Smooth23 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-26-05, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Smooth23 Click to send private message to Smooth23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I know, picking a place for a clue with supposed hours closed from 4pm to 8:30am? thats over 2/3 of the time!

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 07:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I agree with Cleveland & Smooth.

The hours of operation are ridiculous! They send the racers off from the pitstop at, say 11pm for example, then the place they need to go opens at 9 am or so!

What the heck? Anybody who has a lead has never had any advantage by having that lead. Even worse, when these places finally open, everyone is there!

The competition gives nobody any advantage and the last place team, who messed up on the previous leg or task, catches up! This is why some weaker teams stayed in longer than expected.

01-27-05, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
To be fair, whoever sets that up has no idea how the race will flesh out. A person could reasonably expect that some teams would make it there during operating hours, and some would have to wait....which could make the race more interesting. They really need to find a better way of calculating these things though. Im waiting to see an episode where they have to do a task some place that is closed on Monday....and have everyone show up on a Monday.

Religion is for people afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.

Cleveland Guy 153 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cleveland%20Guy Click to send private message to Cleveland%20Guy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I disagree.

There have been posts that state where they minpulate hours of operation, the Internet Cafe was a big one.

They have a good idea of what times the teams will be able to arrive, and make it so they will all be bunched.

The one time this backfired, it backfired bad, in TAR - the original, the Festers and Guidos were a full 24 hours behind, and every place they were supposed to catch up, they made sure they stayed 24 hours behind.

01-28-05, 09:09 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"

>There have been posts that state where they minpulate hours of
>operation, the Internet Cafe was a big one.

Where? Is this speculation, or from the advance team for the show?

>They have a good idea of what times the teams will
>be able to arrive, and make it so they will all be bunched.

How can they have a "good idea"? There are too many variables for that to be sensible. For example, there was no way the anyone could have predicted that half of the teams would have filled their tanks with the wrong type of gas wasting hours of time. There is no way to reasonably predict how long people will take with tasks, or even estimate the amount of time that these idiots will wander around lost.

Bunching is unavoidable. Id like to see them try a little harder to emliminate what they can. There are many places that have night "haunted tours", Id like to see them incorporate some places that are only open at NIGHT, since we often see the racers leave late in the day. At least it would make the bunching more creative.

Religion is for people afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I disagree. A good example was with the task that Kris & Jon completed. They rocked through it, completely the tree climb in probably a record time, and still didn't get to the shop while it was still open. I don't think there would have been any possible way to run a faster portion of that leg.

01-28-05, 11:45 AM (EST)
22. "you disagree?"
but you illustrated my point so well! They ripped through it...other teams it seemed to take an inordinate amount of time. There is no way to accurately predict how long each leg will take due to that variable (some would argue that you couldnt even get an "average time"). For instance, had they taken LESS time on a challenge in the previous leg, they would have made it to the pitstop soone, thus, left the pitstop sooner, and possibly made it to the shop before it closed.

The only semi-reliable gauge they have are flight schedules, and even those are subject to changes.

FreshlySqueezed 100 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FreshlySqueezed Click to send private message to FreshlySqueezed Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: you disagree?"
not at all! Take this last leg for example. They had set charter flight times. Then it didn't matter how fast or slow they ran the relay because there was only ONE flight out that day. All racers land and take a taxi to the train station. The 7:30 train (which Adam & Rebecca just missed) was the first possible train they could have taken. They were met with a detour which we know Kris & Jon sped through without any difficulty. Even with the other teams having problems, they still caught up with Kris & Jon at the bus stop waiting for the bus. therefore, that bus was the first possible bus they could have taken. They got to the Kandyan Art Association after it was closed. Kris & Jon ran a flawless race yet were unable to get there before it closed.

They know all too well before hand what places the racers can and cannot get to! Sure, there are unpredictable things like Adam & Rebecca not finding a taxi, thus missing the train, but that's why they put that closure time on the Art Association to allow those that bobbled and missed the train to catch up!

Personally, I think they should have one bunching about 20-30 mintues into the episode. Teams depart the pit stop and don't immediately run into a bunching point. This way, it allows those who worked their tail off to come in first at the pit stop, to feel that it was worth the effort! Then comes the bunching point where everyone's together. From that point on, there is no bunching through the detour and roadblock! This allows for teams to feel like they're getting somewhere instead of continually swimming upstream! Yet because of the one bunching point next episode, no one team runs away with the game. This also allows for the slower, weaker, less physical, mental or race savvy teams to be eliminated. With both the detour and roadblock to go through before the pit stop, those who are excellent racers will all but ensure they don't get eliminated. As it is, it comes down to the final roadblock comprising maybe an hour or so of the leg. If an excellent team gets caught up on that one task (after having run an excellent leg prior to that), they could find themselves eclipsed by a weaker team that just catches a "lucky break". Unfortunately, it all comes down to luck and not skill with so much bunching!

Karragh 35 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 05:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karragh Click to send private message to Karragh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
What time did most of the teams arrive there anyway?
I thought the point of this bunching was that anyone who was able to arrive before 4:00 would have a huge lead on the other teams, or was it unfeasable for someone to arrive that soon?

The bunching that I thought was really bad was in the episode before last, the episode after Aaron and Hayden hads arrived last, but survived because it was a non-eliimination leg.

So for the next part of the race, the very first step was getting on a boat or something like that, that didn't leave to 12:30pm.
Now, thinking about this, Aaron and Hayden being the last team to start this leg didn't matter, they had more then enough time to beg for the money and get a ticket, so the only consaquence of them being last was that they would be less tired then the other teams since they would wake up later in the day....

I hope that above post was coherent...

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 08:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I think that's why they had to add in the prize for EVERY leg. Otherwise there is no incentive to come in first, just to not be last.

"My generation was going to change the world, and all we really ended up with was classic rock channels." - SurveySez

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I totally agree about the bunching. It's given me a whole new vocabulary:

The revolting bunchosity of the season....
The ruthless levy of bunch assessed against the racers...
The flaccid embunchment of the teams...

Heh heh. I said "flaccid."

01-27-05, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kgswifty Click to send private message to kgswifty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I like a nice, close race as much as the next guy but to see days of "racing" and thousands of miles come down to seconds between three teams and probably minutes between all five teams is just ridiculous.

Kris and Jon once again run a nearly flawless leg over 1 team stalled by a fear of heights, one team stopped by a train and on the verge of quitting, and two teams unable to read a clue fully and all they have to show for it is probably a 15 minute lead?

This race will not come down to ability but instead who can get away from the final "bunch" the quickest.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-27-05, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
This race will not come down to ability but instead who can get away from the final "bunch" the quickest.

I agree and Kris and Jon are good at doing that....and, it would take just a little bad luck, coupled with the bunching, to do them in when otherwise they would have won, no problem. If this happens I'm gonna be sorely pissed.

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-05, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
Um...what credibility?

Just asking, is all.

Furious_George 41 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Furious_George Click to send private message to Furious_George Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I've seen this subject come up many times in here, but never got involved with it. Has anybody given much thought to what the race would be like if the teams rarely got bunched up??? It seems to me that besides being a huge pain in the neck for whoever is producing the various challenges (having to sit around in the same place, possibly for DAYS, waiting until the last team comes through), and the resulting schizophrenic, hour-long jumble of clips, bouncing back and forth from one country to another while we try to remember which team is where..... and, really, what kind of a show would it be if one team got a 24 hour jump on everybody else and KEPT it??? BORING!!! Week after week, you'd see Team Number One, far away in whatever country they were conquering, and then we'd suffer thru everybody else completing the tasks that Team One did in LAST WEEK's episode.

"Coming up on the NEXT episode of The Amazing Race: the 'thrill' of the later teams catching up to do all of the tasks you saw in tonight's show."

We'd all end up focused on the race between the last couple of teams, as they try NOT to be eliminated, because there would be no excitement in seeing Team Way Far Ahead run to the finish line.

At least that's the scenario that I come up with.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-05 AT 11:35 AM (EST)

Well you are obviously right on why the producers want bunching. They want the race close because they think it will be better for the ratings. They are right by the end of the race the best teams would be days ahead of the worst teams.

So I think bunching is a necessary evil that we will always see.

My biggest gripe about bunching is not things lik the limited hours an attraction is open or limited airline flights, it is when the racers are required to wait on the other teams for a chartered flight that leaves after the first three racers arrive rather than at a certain time or even worse when all the racers have to wait on every other team for a viking ship race. In these cases the producers are totally dictating the bunching rather than it happening naturally by their planning.

It is most unfair when the bunching happens right near the pitstop, because the best racers lose all their advantage.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

01-28-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
which is the best argument Ive seen for the pitstops. Though, I gotta admit, itd be interesting to see a free-for-all, run-as-hard-and-fast-as-you-can race around the world (pitstops not required)
The pitstops and the airports are the big equalizers. It also makes for better tv for us..........how much fun would it be to watch if there wasnt the team vs. team griping. Id miss seeing them race tuk-tuks or yell at each other as they pass on the highway.

KMan 141 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KMan Click to send private message to KMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
No bunching = LOST

You remember the original Lost on NBC. They would follow three teams from some remote location to the US. The teams would end up in different countries, take completely different flights and be days apart from each other. I enjoyed the show but I guess it didn't make good tv viewing because it was off the air pretty quickly. I do enjoy when the Racers take different routes to a location.

Misty Twist 33 desperate attention whore postings

01-28-05, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Misty%20Twist Click to send private message to Misty%20Twist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
I think bunching is necessary these just needs to be A LOT less of it.
It's not intresting and it's not fair to the other teams that work their butts off.
And I TOTALLY think TAR has the power to change opening\closing times to suit their needs. I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out TAR was paying some of these places off to have hours that better suited their needs.

01-31-05, 12:52 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Bunching is destroying the credibility of the show"
".....And I TOTALLY think TAR has the power to change opening\closing times to suit their needs. I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out TAR was paying some of these places off to have hours that better suited their needs."

I don't know about paying off but I do believe TAR is controling the opening and closing times (maybe not for the general public but for the racers).

As evidence all you have to do is look at most of the "Hours of Operations" signs at these various locations. They are all the same style, font, color, etc. Maybe TAR is just transalting them to English for the racers but my guess is that in doing so they have a whole series of these that they can use based on how a particular leg is going.

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-28-05, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "Bunching done for a reason"
Basicaly so someone doesn't get a day or two behind. If Phil is going to be at the pit stop. He can't welcome one team one one Continent while another team who is behind is checking into the old pit stop.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-28-05, 10:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mavsfan Click to send private message to mavsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "Phil & the pit stop"
There was one season on TAR where a "Granny" team was suppose to fly from somewhere in South America to Africa I think. They tried to get there by flying to New York and getting a connecting flight to Africa. They missed the Connecting flight and were something like 24hrs behind the other teams.

I remember at the time reading that Phil had to great the granny team in Africa - telling them they were elimated, and quickly catch a flight to the next destination and great the 1st place team at the next pitstop. From what I read, it was logistically very tight. If they had teams spreadout across 3-4 pit stops, there would be no way Phil could great the winners, and eliminate the losers at each stop. So, they bunch so no one can get a pitstop lead.

Someone mentioned running a race with no pitstops, but considering the amount of money on the table, I think teams would push themselves to dangerous levels of exhaustion trying to win the race.

I Don't like bunching, but as someone else said, It's needed. But, I think it's unfair to bunch them close to the pitstops. It becomes more about luck that being good.

fandemonia 18 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-05, 02:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fandemonia Click to send private message to fandemonia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RACE run differently, eliminates need for bunching"
How about if instead of trying to keep up the ridiculous fantasy that this is actually one 'continuous' race from start to finish it owns up to the fact that these are all just little mini races that MUST NOT BE LOST? (i.e. until the final leg the race is only to not come in last)

How? At the beginning of each pit stop, all the teams leave together at the same time (e.g. 8:30 a.m the next morning). Then they are left to their own devices...with no more SUSPICIOUSLY added bunchings. There is no fear of any team getting pit stops behind because all teams must check into the pit stop before the next leg can begin (with everyone starting together again). Whoever comes in first does win a prize (already added this year) so there is incentive to do well in any particular leg and who ever is last is eliminated (if its an elimination round). Advantages as I see them:

1. More Transparency, Less Frustration: This thread was begun bringing the credibility of the show...I wholeheartedly agree. We are told it is a race and that it matters who leaves the pit stop first, yet every single time IT DOESN't - that sucks. They all end up at the same place waiting for something to open....wouldn't it be more exciting to see them start off every episode at a time when the darn facility is already open so they can move right ahead? Also maybe the first clue at every pit stop should be a puzzle of some kind so we they are slowed down and differentiated by an ability instead of stupid operating hours.

2. Non-elim means Something :bunching has made even losing the money meaningless...the team came in last...it should cost them something. Therefore gratuitous bunching being cut out would help non-elim legs actually become significant.

3. REST ADVANTAGE : Teams that come in earlier the day before have an actual advantage of MORE REST than teams that come in later instead of LESS REST as many have commented seem to be happening with the constant bunching...So there's actually even more of an advantage to coming in earlier than in the current system - right now it is best if you come in second to last, most rest and still in the game!

4. FAN ANTICIPATION : As long as they were not eliminated, no matter where your particular 'heroes' finished the day before, you know that in the next episode they are going to have a 'clean slate' and can root with gusto (I know this already happens so why not just be honest about it and start it like it really ends up being anyway?)

5. MORE BETWEEN TEAM INTERACTION: Clarifying that they are just avoiding coming in last and starting every pit stop together as a group may encourage a lot more inter team action...alliances, and inter team squabbling (things many, including myself, have wished to see more of)...which would make for more interesting dynamics and ultimately TV drama.

6. LESS FRUSTRATION All AROUND: It is frustrating for teams and fans to see how many leads their favourite team keep on evaporating because of bunching...I'd like to see exactly how good or bad some of these teams REALLY are. How far can they get ahead? How far can they fall behind? I think we can handle for the course of one leg...as long as everything's even steven's in the morning....plus there are natural bunching points with the transportating (buses, airplanes) those should be enought to keep things interesting...I'd enjoy seeing a team that's really good smoke the competition....and then wake up and have to be just as intense to smoke 'em the next day....however by then all the other teams might have hooked up an alliance to get them out, etc.....Then there would be all kinds of strategy plays of not wanting to be too good so as not to be the team everyone's gunning for but still trying to play into the top teams that finish...etc. etc.....way more interesting than what we are seeing now. I'd even be okay with some mid-show bunch for the latter half of the teams (planned that way) so that there is excitement coming down to the wire every episode about who gets eliminated.

Bottom line, I just want TAR producers to 'fess up that this is really a race not to be last every leg but the last leg and 'fess up that they want to start together every leg.

I think my solution would eliminate need for gratuitous bunching (since no one can get that far ahead anyway) and make the game more intersting. What do you guys think?

Another easy way of making this show far more interesting and also eliminate much of the need for bunching would be the route markers that are actual puzzles...at least one every episode.

gerk 34 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-05, 00:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail gerk Click to send private message to gerk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: RACE run differently, eliminates need for bunching"
>How about if instead of trying
>to keep up the ridiculous
>fantasy that this is actually
>one 'continuous' race from start
>to finish it owns up
>to the fact that these
>are all just little mini
>races that MUST NOT BE
>LOST? (i.e. until the
>final leg the race is
>only to not come in
>last)

WOW! Great idea. No, seriously, I like it. This TAR has been a bit of a downer and doing it this way would allow the good racers to...well...race.

>1. More Transparency, Less Frustration:

Again, the bunching on TAR6 has become frustrating for us viewers and I'm sure the racers felt it too.

> Also maybe the first
>clue at every pit stop
>should be a puzzle

They need more mental challenges...sorry Lori/Bolo

>2. Non-elim means Something

Taking the cash away was a pretty good idea that hasn't really meant a hill of beans. Remember Don and Mary Jean not wanting to beg from people who had nothing and getting money and support from the other teams (good move on the part of the other teams, big backfire on the producers, choosing Goree Island for this non-elim roung

>3. REST ADVANTAGE

Right on. The exhaustion factor comes out periodically in every TAR. Give the first teams something immediate to strive for.

>4. FAN ANTICIPATION :
(I know this
>already happens so why not
>just be honest about it
>and start it like it
>really ends up being anyway?)

Yeah! This has been nagging at me also

>5. MORE BETWEEN TEAM INTERACTION:

Definitely. There is NO incentive for alliances any more. Let's get it back. Adds drama and challenges the teams. When A&R yielded F&K I was trying to figure out their motivation. Obviously J&V had some sort of alliance with them but it seemed pretty tenuous.

>6. LESS FRUSTRATION All AROUND:

When "The goats" were still in Hawaii in TAR3 (or was it 4) had to be one of the saddest finishes. After all they went through they couldn't be at the finish line with all the other teams. I suspect this is what the producers had in mind when they put so much bunching in place, but they went too far. Eliminating the huge gaps like that is all well and good, but, quite frankly, it hasn't worked.
Fortunately the producers seem to be striving to keep the show fresh. I trust they will rethink (or have rethought) this in TAR7.

>Another easy way of making this
>show far more interesting and
>also eliminate much of the
>need for bunching would be
>the route markers that are
>actual puzzles...at least one every
>episode.

I still like this idea...mental challenges.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •