The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

mjames1229 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-26-05, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mjames1229 Click to send private message to mjames1229 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
I'm not really impressed that - when the three teams reached the pool at the same time - Phil was shouting the instructions "You have to swim, you have to swim!".

In TAR4, Reichen and Chip missed the part of the clue that said "Proceed by foot to the next pit stop". They took a car or cab (a very short distance) and were penalized... 30 minutes, I think.

The teams that didn't swim (I know Rebecca and MaryAdam were one) before showing up at the matt should have been penalized, not coached. A penalty (even 10 or 15 minutes) would possibly have given Lori and Bolo a chance to catch up.

On one hand, Lori and Bolo lost because they didn’t read their clue (take the ticket with them), while other teams were saved because even though they didn’t read their clue, Phil was there to save them.

Phil may have changed the outcome of the race.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Estee 01-26-05 1
   RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Spidey 01-26-05 2
       RE: Phil interfered with the race -... dabo 01-26-05 3
       RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Earl Colby Pottinger 01-26-05 4
           RE: Phil interfered with the race -... PepeLePew13 01-26-05 5
               RE: Phil interfered with the race -... ginger 01-26-05 6
 RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Ontario TAR Fan 01-26-05 7
 RE: Phil interfered with the race -... mikey 01-26-05 8
   RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Smooth23 01-26-05 9
       RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Spider 01-26-05 10
 RE: Phil interfered with the race -... aquariaqueen 01-27-05 11
 RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Neobie 01-28-05 12
   RE: Phil interfered with the race -... GameOver3 01-28-05 13
       RE: Phil interfered with the race -... Neobie 01-29-05 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-26-05, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
I think this would have qualified under 'failure to complete all tasks', which has usually meant Phil sending the team out of the pit stop to go do whatever they missed, and then come back. In that sense, he was just saving himself from having to explain it to all of them after they dry-stepped on the mat.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
Agreed. Way back when, when the wonder twins failed to properly complete a task (somethign with bikes?), Phil sent them back to do it. There was no penalty except for the time it took them to go back. Penalites are assessed when they do tasks wrong, like take the wrong mode of transportation, or break a rule (like taking 2 clues).

Last night, Phil was instructing them to go back and complete the task, only had to send them back to the other side of the pool.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
Naw, he just wanted to see the hot babes all wet.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-26-05, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
All the above is true. But I think he should not have called out. Based on how it was done in earlier shows he should have waited till they were standing on the mat then told them that they had to swin first Sorry, I like an evil presentation of the rules.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
I agree. Phil should have waited until the teams arrived at the mat before sending them back out to swim the full length.

It wouldn't have saved Lori/Bolo from elimination but from past history, the appropriate action would have been to tell the three teams "you've got to go back and perform the task" and no penalty otherwise.

It's the same thing as what happened to Lori/Bolo -- they got no penalty for forgetting to take the ticket with them, but Lori did have to go back and get the ticket and then do it all over again.

Scratch and sniff

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-05, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
I think poor Phil gets desperate to say anything besides "A roadblock is a choice brak brak brak" and "I'm sorry, Wrestlemania, but you're the last team to arrive." This was his glory moment.

But I agree; if he was going to insinuate himeself into the proceedings, the time Jonathan was smacking Victimia around would have been my preference. In last night's finish, it would have been funnier to see triumphant teams thinking they'd crossed the pitstop line only to be sent back to the pool. Hayden could blame Aaron for the oversight.

Ontario TAR Fan 133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-26-05, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ontario%20TAR%20Fan Click to send private message to Ontario%20TAR%20Fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
He may well have changed the outcome of this leg, but for all intents and purposes they all tied anyway. Kris and Jon still got the trip, Lori & Bolo were still eliminated, and the other teams came in the middle - within minutes of each other - and that is all that matters. With airport bunching ahead at a minimum, the outcome of the race was NOT affected.

By previous examples of non conformance (e.g. wonder twins, Chreichen), they should have stepped on the mat, then been told they had to complete the tasks. But the others were in earshot, and would have had a head start.

In the end, it does not matter. But the producers did want shots of wet hot babes too.

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-26-05, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
They didn't show the exact wording of the clue, but I think the three teams entered from an expected angle, the side of the pool after jumping over the fence rather than entering at the end of the pool, causing the confusion. I think they all knew they had to swim, but it could have been confusing what swimming to the pit stop meant if they jumped in the middle of the pool rather than at the far end. Swimming the length of the pool seemed to be a clarification to avoid a controversial "did they actually complete the task" decision when the arrived. As long as everyone heard the same clarification as they arrived, it seems fair.

Also agree that it was fortunate that these were the middle three teams and it didn't matter. I actuallly thought the swim at the end was a cool way to end the leg.

Smooth23 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-26-05, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Smooth23 Click to send private message to Smooth23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
It looked to me that they entered at the end of the pool. Hence bolo had a big enough running start to jump half the distance of the pool when they got there.

Spider 164 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-26-05, 09:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spider Click to send private message to Spider Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
Lets be realistic, if Phil had time penaltied the first team in
the group (not kris/jon) 30 minutes or whatever, the other teams would have heard that and not jumped on the matt, walked abck to the pool and done it correctly. In which case, Freddie and Kendra and I think may have been eliminated and it would have been unfair.

As mentioned its TV and having 3 teams arrive at the same time is unsual so i am sure the producers would have told Phil to tell them the rules so all teams vould race across the pool.

Let's face it, Lori and Bolo were good racers but their combined intellect did not match a macademia nut and they were going to fall out somewhere. As i said in another thread, you cannot keep the intensity going if you are rushing and not thinking all the time.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-27-05, 07:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
I agree, they need to get tougher with these teams.

Neobie 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-28-05, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Neobie Click to send private message to Neobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-05 AT 09:16 AM (EST)

I disagree. There should have been a lot that we didn't see.

In the Insider videos, Hayden talks about a sign at the hotel asking them to swim the length of the pool. This is most likely the only indication for the teams to do that.

Remember, right before the Pitstop were the Roadblock instructions. It would defeat the task and also be illogical for TPTB to tell them to 'swim the length of the swimming pool' while directing the Roadblock member to climb Lion Rock and look for the Pitstop!

Freddy/Kendra and Adam/Rebecca came in from the side (left of Phil). The other three teams ran in from the direction opposite Phil, and this is where I presume the sign was held. FK and AR never knew they had to swim, and therefore they did not break a rule and shouldn't receive any penalty.

Edited for spelling.

GameOver3 51 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-28-05, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GameOver3 Click to send private message to GameOver3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
Swimming the pool was not a task, it was part of getting to the Pitstop.

Just like Heather/Eve getting that penalty for driving to the Pitstop and Reichen/Chip getting the penalty for driving to a Pitstop as well instead of walking, Freddy/Kendra should have gotten a penalty.

I do believe the teams knew they had to swim, Phil mentioned it in the info on how to get to the Pitstop and what form of transportation they must use. Swimming is part of a transportation to the Pitstop.

Freddy/Kendra should have taken their penalty and it would have been deserved. The other teams wouldn't be getting an unfair advantage, its just Freddy/Kendra's stupid fault for not following instructions and Phil catching them.

What if that guy decided to let Lori into the top of Lion's Rock to search for the Pitstop without her ticket? Lets say that Freddy went all the way up and was denied, while Lori was let through. I'm sure some of you would complain that rules were broken and Lori/Bolo should have taken a penalty.

The fact of the matter is this, swimming was part of the transportation to the Pitstop, it was not a task. They didn't receive a clue after swimming, they were going to the Pitstop.

Freddy/Kendra should have taken the penalty they deserved, like what happened to Heather/Eve and Reichen/Chip.

If I were Lori/Bolo, I'd be protesting this race until it was fixed.

Neobie 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-29-05, 07:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Neobie Click to send private message to Neobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Phil interfered with the race - saved teams from a penalty"
I'm trying to point out that none of the teams knew that they had to swim before reaching the hotel.

Taking the ticket up to the summit was indicated in the clue that the teams got. Heather, Eve, Reichen and Chip were all penalized because the last Route Information they received indicated clearly 'walk to the Pitstop'.

This could not have been the case in the swim as there was no Route Information or any other instructions between the hotel and the Lion Rock Roadblock clue.

If that opportunity at Lion Rock was used to tell the teams to 'swim the entire length of the pool when you reach the Pitstop', the person performing the Roadblock would know precisely what to look for, a pool.

This means that the instructions to swim were shown to the racers only when they reached the hotel. This is in line with Hayden saying that there was a sign at the hotel directing them to swim. FK and AR did not see that sign as they ran in from the side, and they followed the last instructions they received, that is, to take a tuk-tuk to the Pitstop (and presumably to check in).

Phil usually changes the instructions in the voice-overs to simplify things for the viewers. What Phil tells us is not necessarily what the racers read in their clues. For example in Season 3 when the teams in Tulum got a clue to London, Phil simply told the viewers that the teams were headed to Cambridge. This was because several tasks in London were edited out, and if Phil told us where they were really heading to at that instant, TPTB would have to show us all the tasks the teams did in London as well, or explain to us that it was edited out.

The same thing happens here. If Phil told us that the teams would chance upon the 'swim sign' at the Pitstop, they would have to show the sign and teams reading it. The producers decided to simplify it and shorten the unimportant instructions for the viewers.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •