The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Michael Johns ... he has "it" and ..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences American Idol Individual Contestant and Judge Discussion Forum (Protected)
Current Message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-15-08, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ..."
Found this on a Michael Johns fan board-- a bio about his old band, The Rising:

http://www.michael-johns.org/Info-on-his-band-t30.html

----------------

The Rising is:
Michael Lee – vocals
Robb Torres – guitar
Kevin Haaland – guitar
Ari Gorman – bass
Kirke Jan – drums

“I like the kind of music where you’re driving down the road just staring into oblivion because you’re totally swept up by the song. That’s the kind of music I want to write – something that puts you in a trance.”

So says vocalist and songwriter Michael Lee on the high expectations he’s set for the sound of The Rising, the brash, brilliant and hard-rocking young quintet that is poised to sweep away the music world with the release of their Maverick Records debut album, Future Unknown.

Highlighting a signature blend of rich, resonant melodies, textured rock guitar stylings and an incisive lyric content that elevates the personal to the universal, Future Unknown draws inspiration to everyone from early U2 to the Beatles; the Verve to Neil Finn and beyond. But it’s in their uncompromising drive to create a total aural environment that The Rising emerges as a wholly original new force in rock music. With instantly accessible hooks and gritty realism, Future Unknown, lives up to the high calling of its founder and front man. Simply put, The Rising makes an entrancing sound.

The point of origin for The Rising’s sound can be traced to the 1997 edition of the renowned Australian music festival Big Day Out, headlined by local heroes You Am I and avidly attended by eighteen year-old Perth native, Michael Lee. “I’d been singing in bands since I was a kid,” he explains, “and wanted to take it to the next level. I just didn’t know how. I’d always been a big fan of You Am I, so when they finished their set, I snuck backstage and approached lead singer Tim Rogers for advice. He told me if I wanted to make something happen, I had to go to the States.”

The teen promptly packed his bags and set his sights for the unlikely destination of Atlanta, Georgia. “I could’ve gone to Los Angeles or New York,” Lee continues, “but I didn’t want to get swallowed up too fast. I knew Atlanta had a smaller scene, so I figured I’d take my chances there. I didn’t know anyone and didn’t really have a game plan, but I figured it was only a matter of time before something turned up.”

Sure enough, within a month, he met a fellow Aussie and club owner who gave him a job washing dishes and cleaning toilets and eventually allowing the fledgling vocalist to sit in occasionally with local bands. “Eventually,” recounts Lee, “I hooked up with a guitarist and we became the club’s headlining cover band.”

The next labor-intensive years were spent paying dues as Lee sharpened his songwriting skills by day and played current hits to packed crowds at night. But he hadn’t come all that way to perform other people’s songs. “I had a passion and clear vision for what I wanted a band to sound like,” he reveals.

Recording a demo in 2001, Lee subsequently came to Los Angeles where he showcased for several labels, eventually inking an exclusive pact with Maverick Records. He then began assembling the elements of his new band, picking and choosing from the abundant talent of the LA music scene, including drummer Kirke Jan, guitarists Robb Torres and Kevin Haaland and bassist Ari Gorman. “I wanted in as soon as I heard Michael sing,” recounts Blankenship. “His lyrics and the way he handles a melody makes the music come alive.”

The electrifying creative chemistry of the newly minted quintet was immediately evident on stage. “We take the songs to a whole different level when we play live,” asserts guitarist Robb Torres. “There’s an energy to this band that can’t be described. You just have to experience it.”

It’s an experience that will soon be shared by fans of authentic, original and evocative music worldwide, with the release of Future Unknown. Produced by Rick Beato (with Michael Lee) and recorded at Southern Tracks in Atlanta, the album highlights eleven stunning Lee originals, including such standouts as the deeply personal title track, the searingly honest “Cradle,” and “So Alive,” a moving confession about the struggle to maintain faith in the face of adversity that is nothing short of inspirational.

“All my life I dreamed of making an album like this with a band like this,” says Lee. “But at the same time I know that just getting signed and recording is only the beginning. It’s what people will find in our music that’s important. We want to be a source of inspiration, a reason to believe, a way of seeing the world. Maybe that’s a lot to ask from a bunch of simple songs, but music has made a difference in all our lives. This is our way of passing it along.”

--------------------------------

THE RISING’s debut Maverick / Reprise album, FUTURE UNKNOWN, is due to be released October 14, 2003.

Here’s some early critical praise:

The Rising's debut CD, Future Unknown is flat-out one of the best of the year. We've covered over 400 bands in the past nine months and without a doubt in my mind - these guys are going to be rising to the top.
- Steven Ridenour, CEO Orlando Florida Guide

“Arena rock isn't dead - it's only been cooking in the musical cauldrons of bands such as Atlanta unit The Rising. On the band's Maverick Records debut FUTURE UNKNOWN, The Rising layers thick slabs of rock guitar goodness with singer Michael Lee's impassioned vocals. The band doesn't sacrifice melody for bombast, and songs are textured works of the heart brimming with irresistible hooks.”
--Kati Schardl, Tallahassee Democrat (FL),
August 22, 2003

“Lead vocalist and songwriter, Michael Lee has stated ‘I like the kind of music where you’re driving down the road just staring into oblivion because you’re totally swept up by the song. That’s the kind of music I want to write- something that puts you into a trance.’ That is exactly what I believe he has accomplished. The music is made with great melodies and complimenting harmonies that just seem to make the whole record.”
--Jessica Quenzler, Flicksxxxposed.com,
August 18, 2003

“The CD is truly shocking in how good it is…Lee’s vocals are perfect on every song… catchy choruses and rock solid rhythm.”
--Adam Newman, Kludgemagazine.com,
September 4, 2003

“Cradle,” the album’s first single, is experiencing huge success at radio. It’s currently being spinned on such prestigious stations as 99x in Atlanta, KZON in Phoenix and WEND in Charlotte.

www.therisingmusic.com is the band’s website, which includes sound clips of some of the songs—including “Cradle”—featured on FUTURE UNKNOWN. It also includes the video for “Cradle” and 3 songs performed acoustically at the July 11 grand opening of the new Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Michael Johns ... he has "it" and ...   zazzy     03-12-08       
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Snidget     03-12-08     1  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Corvis     03-12-08     2  
         RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   agman     03-13-08     16  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Loree     03-12-08     3  
         RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     03-12-08     4  
             RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Snidget     03-12-08     10  
                 RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Magnolia_Rocker     03-13-08     15  
   Thanks for this   Glow     03-12-08     5  
     RE: Thanks for this   zazzy     03-12-08     6  
         RE: Thanks for this   Glow     03-12-08     7  
             RE: Thanks for this   zazzy     03-12-08     8  
                 RE: Thanks for this   Glow     03-12-08     9  
                     RE: Thanks for this   zazzy     03-12-08     11  
                         RE: Thanks for this   Glow     03-13-08     14  
                             RE: Thanks for this   zazzy     03-13-08     17  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     03-12-08     12  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     03-13-08     13  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     03-13-08     18  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     03-15-08     19  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Loree     03-23-08     20  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     03-26-08     21  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     03-27-08     23  
   This article explains the DITL dedi...   zazzy     03-27-08     22  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     03-29-08     24  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-03-08     25  
   sweet   Glow     04-04-08     26  
     RE: sweet   zazzy     04-05-08     27  
         RE: sweet   Glow     04-07-08     28  
             RE: sweet   zazzy     04-07-08     29  
                 RE: sweet   Glow     04-08-08     30  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-09-08     31  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-10-08     32  
         RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Wiggle     04-10-08     33  
         RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-10-08     34  
         RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Corvis     04-10-08     35  
             RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-16-08     57  
   *siiiiiiiiigh*   Glow     04-11-08     36  
     RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   CattyChat     04-11-08     37  
         RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   Glow     04-11-08     38  
             RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   CattyChat     04-12-08     45  
                 RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   Glow     04-14-08     47  
     RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   bullzeye     04-11-08     39  
         RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   Glow     04-11-08     41  
             RE: *siiiiiiiiigh*   bullzeye     04-11-08     42  
   Interesting (to me)   Glow     04-11-08     40  
     RE: Interesting (to me)   CTgirl     04-11-08     44  
     RE: Interesting (to me)   zazzy     04-15-08     55  
         RE: Interesting (to me)   Glow     04-16-08     56  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-11-08     43  
   Missing Michael   Loree     04-13-08     46  
     RE: Missing Michael   Glow     04-14-08     48  
         RE: Missing Michael   CattyChat     04-14-08     49  
             RE: Missing Michael   Glow     04-14-08     50  
         RE: Missing Michael   zazzy     04-15-08     54  
     RE: Missing Michael   zazzy     04-15-08     53  
         RE: Missing Michael   Loree     04-16-08     58  
             RE: Missing Michael   Glow     04-17-08     59  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-14-08     51  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-14-08     52  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Loree     04-17-08     60  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     05-15-08     61  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     05-20-08     62  
   Photos from Vegas   Loree     05-27-08     63  
     RE: Photos from Vegas   Glow     05-28-08     65  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     05-28-08     64  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     05-30-08     66  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     01-28-09     69  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   BeckEye     01-24-09     67  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     01-28-09     68  
   RE Christmas single   zazzy     01-28-09     70  
     RE: RE Christmas single   zazzy     01-28-09     71  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     03-03-09     72  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-14-09     73  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-14-09     74  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-14-09     75  
         RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-14-09     76  
             RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   Glow     04-15-09     77  
                 RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-15-09     78  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-26-09     79  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     04-26-09     80  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     05-13-09     81  
   RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     07-09-09     82  
     RE: Michael Johns ... he has "it" ...   zazzy     07-10-09     83  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •