The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Letter to the Producers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

KrisOA 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-19-05, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KrisOA Click to send private message to KrisOA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Letter to the Producers"
Of all the reality shows, I like The Amazing Race the most .. or at least I used to. Where I work and among my friends, we all agree that, like all the other reality shows before it, TAR is losing sight of what people liked about it in the first place .. the travelogue of the world aspect, honest competition, average people challenging themselves and each other. Now it appears that contestants are chosen solely for their controversial and dysfunctional natures, almost every woman competing is wearing a low cut tank top with her breasts all but falling out, and only the very fittest (and most obnoxious) survive week after week. It's an entirely different show than when it started .. and it's losing me. If you producers want to cater only to a young and rude audience, it's your right, I guess, but please don't forget that there are an enormous number of 'baby-boomers' with money to spend who want to watch too, but are turned off by the "new" TAR. I am so very glad that Jonathan and Victoria are finally gone .. I don't think I could have taken another week of their regrettable and seriously dysfunctional and abusive/degrading relationship. Despite what you believe, and despite what your ratings might indicate, it is not entertaining to watch week after week of a couple abusing each other emotionally, psychologically, and even physically .. not entertaining at all. Although Jonathan and Victoria are a severe case, Rebecca and Adam aren't far behind (as Rebecca acknowledged last night), and even Hayden and Aaron and Lori and Bolo are right up there. The only reason any of the three couples (Jonathan and Victoria, Rebecca and Adam, and Lori and Bolo) could have been chosen as contestants is because of their obviously controversial and sensational personas, or as one friend of mine put it, as the "freak show" element. The only 'normal' couple, Jon and Kris, are rarely featured, giving credence to the fact that the producers of TAR are deliberately emphasizing the 'Jerry Springer Show' aspect. How about returning to an honest, straightforward contest of ordinary people wandering the world and competing in all sorts of tasks, not necessarily all toned and buffed, not necessarily all under thirty, not necessarily all wearing the lowest possible tank tops, and not necessarily all mentally and emotionally ill? I want to like this show, I really do .. but I've given up on Survivor, The Apprentice, American Idol, and America's Next Top Model, all for going down the road where TAR is now headed. I hope you rethink the next season!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Letter to the Producers PepeLePew13 01-19-05 1
   RE: Letter to the Producers KrisOA 01-19-05 2
       RE: Letter to the Producers Spidey 01-19-05 6
           Great teams TeamJoisey 01-19-05 8
               RE: Great teams Spidey 01-20-05 10
 RE: Letter to the Producers foonermints 01-19-05 3
 RE: Letter to the Producers RocketAudy 01-19-05 4
   RE: Letter to the Producers mrc 01-19-05 5
 RE: Letter to the Producers volsfan 01-19-05 7
   RE: Letter to the Producers RocketAudy 01-20-05 11
       RE: Letter to the Producers dabo 01-20-05 13
 RE: Letter to the Producers dragonflies 01-20-05 9
 RE: Letter to the Producers Earl Colby Pottinger 01-20-05 12
 RE: Letter to the Producers charhorse 01-24-05 14
 RE: Letter to the Producers beaker 01-24-05 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-19-05, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
Wow, I hope you came up for air at some point! That was difficult to read without any breaks.

Welcome to the boards! I'll agree with the direction that TAR seems to be going. Bring back the folks from the early seasons and I'll be happy. I'd like to see more mental challenges or the type that anyone can do such as the one last night where they had to match pendants.

Scratch and sniff

KrisOA 4 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KrisOA Click to send private message to KrisOA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
Me too. Where's Darla and Chandra (was that their names?) when you need 'em?

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
Charla & Myrna.

I thought Myrna (the taller one) was a true beast though.

If I were voting for quality people as contestants, I would vote for Momily (from Season 1), Chip & Kim and Jon & Kris. That's about all I can come up with.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-19-05, 11:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Great teams"
Season 1... The original funny Festers: Kevin and Drew.

Season 2... Miami Nice: Danny and Oswald.

Season 3... Team 9-11: JohnVito and Jill

Season 4... Tears of a Clown, Jon and Al.

Season 5... The Bowling Moms, Linda & Karen.

Why do I always like the teams that finish fourth or fifth?
Oh yeah. The editing.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Great teams"
See? I done told y'all my memory was bad. Agree on these teams. Not that they were the best racers, but genuinely good people. And the Festers were a laugh riot.

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
Hooray KrisOA! I feel the same way about the "Jerry Springer" aspect. I'd hate to thow TAR in the gutter becaouse of the stunt casting phenomena.

Handcrafted by RollDice
welcome!

RocketAudy 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-19-05, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RocketAudy Click to send private message to RocketAudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
LAST EDITED ON 01-19-05 AT 05:34 PM (EST)

I AGREE 100 PERCENT!!

I recently watched Season 1 for the first time and was struck by the "realness" of the contestants. And the "clues" actually WERE clues, the racers had to use their brains to figure out what to do next.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
Many of these contestants would obviously have a problem using their brains, so why make it hard for them by giving them clues that take thinking?

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-05, 06:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
I want to take up for TAR! I like it just like it is. The show for me hasn't changed that much.

There is no way the producers know the way people are going to react to their surroundings. CBS didn't know that Jonathon was a wife beater. How would they have found out? Asked? As a matter fact, I find Victoria just as difficult to watch as Jonathon. Also, you mentioned what Rebecca said about Mary Adam but I have to say that I think Rebecca was in the relationship because she knew how he was and she could wear the pants in the relationship. Again, these types of things would not be found out until you put them on the road and started the game.

I don't understand where you say "normal" couple. Your normal isn't the samething I would call normal. It is a matter of each person's beliefs.

You can chose to not watch but the ratings for this season are some of the best the show has ever had.

Lastly, I think Survivor has done a great job of keeping their contestants more down to Earth and not catering to any one specific group.

Since you have vented and told us that you dislike the way it is going. What would you do specifically to get "normal" couples to be on the show? How would you determine the "normal"?

RocketAudy 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-20-05, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RocketAudy Click to send private message to RocketAudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
LAST EDITED ON 01-20-05 AT 02:21 PM (EST)

Volsfan,

6 people from season 6 list their occpation as "model." 2 of the others are wrestlers.

Seaon 5 had 3 beauty pageant contestants (all of whom knew each other despite being on separate teams) and a previous reality television star.

Season 4 had 2 clowns and 6 models.

This doesn't count the people who list themselves as "bartender" or "pilot" but are really actors/models.

Sure "normal" is a subjective term. But by any measure, the amount of entertainers and models in the last several AR seasons far outweigh the population as a whole. It's more fun for me when the racers are just average joes seeing the world. I can identify with them and it's easier to like them.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the show and I'll be on the edge of my seat to see who wins: The "bartender" & "waitress", the models, the actor/models, the personal trainers, or the wrestlers.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 07:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
An all-pilots edition of TAR, now there's an idea. Yes, let's see who can deadhead around the world the quickest, that would be something.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-05, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
Bravo. Well said. The slow changes that have taken place over the past seasons have changed the show incredibly. I don't like it either. Let's go back to clues that are clues, not giveaways!

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-20-05, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
First, a little editting for readability would be nice.

Second, I agree 90%+ with what you have written, I only disagree about B&L because they (a) clearly and honestly stated what type of people they were from the very start of the show, admitting it was partly thier own act, (b) because seeing them get this far was a surprize in itself - I like being surprized in people's abilities, and (c) for a pair of dumb hicks the lack of racial/wealth comments from them clearly show Kendra's shallowness. If they know when to keep thier mouths shut, why doesn't she?

I also think you did not say enough about the trend of the seasons. The present route is clearly the one to take if you want a quick climb in ratings, but the people attracted to that type of show gets bored easily. After all they see the same people over and over and never notice the diffirent countries. And when they finally get bored of it all the rating will drop faster than laser aimmed at a black hole.

The route that results in a slow and steadly climb in rating would have racers reflecting the normal range of the viewing public, but this public will never get bore of the show because (a) there are always more countries to visit and (b) countries already visited have still more features to show than can ever be fitted into 1,2,3.... hours of a single show.

Be more random in your choice of racers, make sure they are ready to truely go anywhere. And add Canadians to your list so I can enter

charhorse 4 desperate attention whore postings

01-24-05, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail charhorse Click to send private message to charhorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
I could not agree with you more.. my thoughts were running that way with each week of this show.. I was thinking of writing a letter to the producers. First of all, I was appalled that they allowed the wife abuser (Jonathan) to remain on the show after he physically abused his wife on National TV.. Let alone the mental and verbal abuse this man displayed every week. No amount of editing could hide his true personality.. She is to blame also for allowing him to treat her in that manner. My concern is and was that the producers should have disqualified them for their actions. Some form of professional behavior standards should be set up. The show started out being interesting because of the traveling and the personal stories. Why they decided to enlist contestents who are interested in displaying their breasts and being abusive to each other is beyond me. I would like to see more contestents like Gus & Herra and others who may not be in perfect physical condition. There is a advantage to being in good shape with all the running they have to do, but intelligence should be considered as well. I say if one partner abuses another they are out.

beaker 107 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-24-05, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beaker Click to send private message to beaker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Letter to the Producers"
I agree, the Amazing race is one of the best reality shows.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •