The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-18-04, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-18-04 AT 08:14 PM (EST)

Well I just listened to an (illegal) copy of the American Idol CD: Soul Classics. (Twice) Here is my commentary, review. Overall, I actually thought this was the worst CD yet. The production values of the songs are better than ever, but most of the songs themselves are not exciting. Like last season, it's mostly ballads and a lot of them will put you to sleep.

1. Fantasia - "Chain of Fools" - I'm not sure this was the best song selection for her, but it sounded decent. I thought that unlike her live performances, you couldn't feel the emotion in the song coming out of her. Still, like all Fantasia songs, she injected several "Yeah, yeahs" into the song, which was distracting. I would not buy a CD from her if she is going to do this for all of her songs. Overall: B

2. George - "Me and Mrs. Jones" - I have to admit, that I don't like this song, but I enjoyed George singing it, just because it's anything like he has sung on the show and it seems to fit his voice perfectly. I wish he had chosen something that showcased his range though. Overall: B+

3. Diana - "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" - I didn't like this the first time I listened to it, but it seems to get better as you listen to it. It's really typical of all the other Diana robotic performances, but it stands out on the CD because it's one of the few up-tempo songs on the CD. Overall: B-

4. Latoya - "If You Don't Know Me By Now" - Latoya is at the top of her game for this song, and this is the perfect example of why she would win. She sounds beautiful, distinctive and every single note and vocal inflection is perfect. I am buying your CD Latoya! Overall: A

5. Jennifer Hudson - "Neither One Of Us" - Surprisingly, Jennifer picks a fairly subdued song, despite her powerful voice. When it does get to the power vocals part near the end, I felt that she lost control of it again. It's not horrible, but more "early Jennifer" than "late Jennifer". Overall: B-

6. Amy Adams - "You Make Me Feel Brand New" - It's relatively pleasant, but her voice seems rather thin on the song. It could be that the power singerss are early in the CD's and Amy just happens to come after. This song itself is rather plain, Simon would accuse her of putting together a "safe performance". Overall: C+

7. Matt Rogers - "Sitting On the Dock By the Day" - This is one of the shortest songs on the CD for a reason. Looks like they changed the key of the song a bit to match Matt's limited range. He sang it ok, I just don't think he's that good. Overall: D

8. Jasmine Trias - "Midnight Train to Georgia" - I thought this song was indicative of Jasmine's performances during the season. Inconsistent. There are parts of this song where I really liked, but then she'll try to hit a certain note, and she still comes in flat. (Not even the studio could fix it I guess) Also, this isn't the most exciting song in the world. Overall: C+

9. JPL - "My Girl" - I saw the track listing, and I thought this would be a really good song choice for him. It's not. None of his performance charisma comes across when he's singing it. I thought it sounded very amateurish. Overall: D+

10. Camille Velasco - "Until You Come Back To Me" - I figured I had heard the last of the good performances after the first five. I was wrong, there is one more good song on the CD. Surprisingly, it's this one. It's actually my 2nd fave on this CD. Not only is it a peppy song, but you can actually hear what Camille is singing! The vibrato is either fixed or removed by the studio. She hits her high notes, and overall, because you can't see her look of pain when she's singing, you are able to concentrate on her vocals, which makes her much better. Overall: A-

11. Leah Labelle - "Betcha By Golly, Wow" - The first few bars are absolutely beautiful in my opinion. Then it gets slowly worse. By the time she gets to the chorus, the song absolutely falls apart. The chorus sounds absolutely abominable. It's worst than the song she sang on Soul night during the show. Only die hard Leah fans will listen to this song more than once. Overall: F

12. Jon Stevens - "You Are Everything" - I was actually expecting it to be a train wreck like Matt, JPL, and Leah, but it was actually passable. He chose a good song. If you like Jon Stevens, you'll like this song. Overall: C

13. Group Song - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Well if you listen to this song, you'll definitely know who TPTB want to be the Final 4. George, Latoya, Jennifer, and Fantasia get almost all the solos, while the rest of them are relegated to backup. I didn't hear any Jon Stevens or JPL on this song. Overall: B-

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... callalilly3000 04-18-04 1
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... rjrabbit 04-18-04 2
   RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... blue14 04-19-04 5
       RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... rjrabbit 04-19-04 6
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... greenmonstah 04-18-04 3
   RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... rjrabbit 04-18-04 4
 Yeah, I agree... Goooey_Alley 04-19-04 7
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... Breezy 04-19-04 8
   RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... blue14 04-19-04 9
       RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... Skeery Klown 04-19-04 10
           RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... shedevil 04-19-04 11
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... TeamJoisey 04-22-04 12
   RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... shedevil 04-30-04 18
       RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... britneyfan04 05-08-04 20
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... realityluver 04-29-04 13
   RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... shedevil 04-29-04 15
       RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... uberspoon 04-30-04 16
           RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... shedevil 04-30-04 17
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... stormysatan 04-29-04 14
 RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Clas... callalilly3000 05-08-04 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-18-04, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Thank you for your commentary. It was very insightful.

I am one of the people who actually like John Stevens, and have been wanting to hear his track. So you gave him a C. (not bad)
And Camille got an A-, impressive.

Again thanks.

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-18-04, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-18-04 AT 08:33 PM (EST)

Thanks for the commentary.

blue14 and camileroxmysox are going to love you for saying Camile sounds good. They finally have someone to agree with them. When is the CD being released?

blue14 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-19-04, 00:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blue14 Click to send private message to blue14 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-19-04 AT 00:01 AM (EST)

im glad someone agrees with me about camiles song and sorry if I was being rude earlier about saying camile was the best, seriously, im sorry

04-19-04, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Sounds like I was being too harsh on Camile. I'll have to give the song a listen.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-18-04, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Thanks for the scoop, manager. I am really interested in George's rendition of "Me and Mrs. Jones". I am not a George fan per se, but I am sure he was spot on in his remake.

*waves* to my rabbit friend...Sox lost today. sigh.

04-18-04, 10:38 PM (EST)
4. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Hey Monstah,
Your Red Sox took 2 of 3 and I'm looking for them to take 3 out of 4 on this series with the Yankees

I can't remember what thread it was but I was sticking up for you when blue thought you were bragging. I think blue is just upset that he can't convince anyone that Camile is the best AI contestant.

Goooey_Alley 425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-19-04, 02:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Goooey_Alley Click to send private message to Goooey_Alley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Yeah, I agree..."
Camile sounds great on that one... and both LaToya's and Camile's songs are worth listening in this CD.

The others practically gave me a snooze...

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-19-04, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
*boggle* Camille sounds good?

Thanks for the input.

Just say no to trolls.

blue14 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-19-04, 08:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blue14 Click to send private message to blue14 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
See, I thought Camile sounded good but no one believed me...it actually DOES sound good in my opinion. Hopefully someone will believe me next time...

Skeery Klown 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-19-04, 08:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Skeery%20Klown Click to send private message to Skeery%20Klown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
i wasnt a camille fan but she sounds VERY good
seems to me shes has some stage fright issues
the larger the crowd got the worse she sounded
and on this cd JPL......... well we wont go there lol

nuff said

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-19-04, 10:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Camille must be filtered to sound good in my opinion, JPL does not, he sounds good regardless. To me Camille sounds great... when she's muted.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-22-04, 00:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Will anyone buy this album?
Or are people just too frustrated with the way things are turning out?

04-30-04, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
Will anyone buy this album?
Or are people just too frustrated with the way things are turning out?

I'm going to buy it just for the songs performed by Jenn, Latoya,JPL and the group song.

britneyfan04 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-08-04, 11:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail britneyfan04 Click to send private message to britneyfan04 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
I am not sure if people are going to buy her cd. I was happy when she left.I hate the way she vibrates her voice.I hate her attidude

realityluver 267 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-29-04, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realityluver Click to send private message to realityluver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-04 AT 02:19 PM (EST)

Here is a link to listen to the AI3 CD. It's an interesting mix, much better than I thought it would be. I think the majority sound much better on this CD than they do on the show. Miracles of a studio I guess. There is one that is painful to listen to {cough.JPL.}..., but the rest are ok. Camille sounds much better, and actually John S. wasn't that bad (not great, but not bad).

http://entimg.msn.com/i/asx/audio_streams/AmericanIdol3_soulclassics_MBR.asx

"Nothing comes between me and my TV!!!"

04-29-04, 10:30 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
1. Fantasia - "Chain of Fools" -
I'm not a fan of Fantasia's or her voice but I think she sounded great on this song. I'm impressed. It was pleasant but just kind of boring. I give her a B+

2. George - "Me and Mrs. Jones" -
This is one of my favorite songs. George's version was okay. It was kind of lacking. I give it a C.

3. Diana - "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" -
She sounds good. I never liked this song, I still don't, but her version is okay. She sounds good, less forced. She doesn't sound like she's yelling like she usually does. I do like her voice in general, I'm just not wowed by it. It actually doesn't sound much like her the more I hear of it. I give it a B.

4. Latoya - "If You Don't Know Me By Now" -
One of my favorite songs of all time. She sounds very pretty. I would like to see her do this song live. She reminds me of Monica. It's not amazing but it's really good. I don't care for the ending. I give it an A.

5. Jennifer Hudson - "Neither One Of Us" -
She sounds beautiful and very classy. I love it. What can I say? I'm such a huge fan of her voice. I loved the ending, very soft and pretty.It wasn't the best I've heard from her, but one of the best. A

6. Amy Adams - "You Make Me Feel Brand New" -
Another one of my favorite songs. She sounds very pretty, but I don't think songs like this one do much for her voice. She always comes off sounding weak. She needs to stick to songs like "Sin Wagon". That song really showed off her talent. B

7. Matt Rogers - "Sitting On the Dock By the Day" -
I like this song, but not when he sings it. It was okay. I prefer Opera Matt. I give it a D.

8. Jasmine Trias - "Midnight Train to Georgia" -
I'm not impressed with her version of this song. I don't think it was a good choice for her. She didn't sound bad, but she didn't sound good either. It was okay. I give it a C+.

9. JPL - "My Girl" -
I think he sounded great. I love his voice! It wasn't spectacular but I enjoyed it. I give it a B.

10. Camille Velasco - "Until You Come Back To Me" -
She sounded the same to me on this c.d. that she does live, shaky. I don't care for that type of voice. I'd rather hear her sing "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". After listening to that MP3 I grew to love her version of it. For this song I give it a C. It sounded very amateur.

11. Leah Labelle - "Betcha By Golly, Wow" -
She sounded great until she got to the first chorus and the rest of the song reminded me why I don't like her voice. I give it an F-.

12. Jon Stevens - "You Are Everything" -
Another song I love. He sounded really good but I know what he sounds like live and that's what matters to me, not what someone sounds like filtered. I give it a B.

13. Group Song - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" -
I liked it a lot. The solos were great. I give it an A.

uberspoon 173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-30-04, 00:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail uberspoon Click to send private message to uberspoon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-04 AT 00:01 AM (EST)

SheDevil,
you're one of my favorite posters on this site..and i think i just realized why. we have very similar tastes.
the only reason i mention this now, is i noticed your comment about Camile's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I have that on mp3 as well, and it has a similar effect on me. i HATED it on the show, but after the fact- i listened to it again and it seems like it has this really haunting / touching quality to it.

and it seems i am rambling.
but yeah, i agree with ya..ESPECIALLY on J-Hud.

*edited to correct grammar.

04-30-04, 00:13 AM (EST)
17. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
SheDevil,you're one of my favorite posters on this site..and i think i just realized why. we have very similar tastes.
the only reason i mention this now, is i noticed your comment about Camile's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I have that on mp3 as well, and it has a similar effect on me. i HATED it on the show, but after the fact- i listened to it again and it seems like it has this really haunting / touching quality to it.
and it seems i am rambling. but yeah, i agree with ya ESPECIALLY on J-Hud.

Awww how sweet thanks. I hated her version of "G.Y.B.R." on the show too, but my sister wanted me to snag the MP3 I listened to it again and really enjoyed it and now I love it. J-Hud rocks!

stormysatan 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-29-04, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stormysatan Click to send private message to stormysatan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
I bought the cd. And it's worth the money especially CAMILLE'S and to some extent latoya's rendition.
JASMINE'S performance was good too. The rest were just ok.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-08-04, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The American Idol CD: Soul Classics Thread!"
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-04 AT 08:46 PM (EST)

So, the sales figures are out. I find it very interesting that the CD sold 55% less than the previous season.

Could it be that the original comments by the judges "these are the best contestents of all seasons", may not be true. Sales figures tells all.

I haven't heard the CD, nor do I care too. I haven't been to impressed with anyone this season. Maybe other people share my thoughts, as you would think that if everyone who watches AI, would at least purchase the CD it would be #1 on the Billboard charts. It came in at #10.

I couldn't click on the link to read the entire artical, so I am not sure, did the CD from last season debut at #1?

My opionion is, that the reason it didn't fare so well this year, is because there is no clear cut winner. Last season I knew within just a couple of weeks that the final two would be Ruben and Clay, and I think last years CD sold better purely on the strength of Clay and Ruben alone.

But that is just my opionion.

(edited because of spelling issues, I hope I corrected it.)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •