The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Signs of Survival - Blood vs Water"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-02-13, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa..."
LAST EDITED ON 10-06-13 AT 03:20 AM (EST)

Hello!

Ruling in Chaos

I am not a betting woman. But, if I were, I would feel very safe in placing a wager that at least once per Season either the host of Survivor or one of its players points out the fact that it doesn’t take long for persons exposed to the Game’s crisis environment to revert to type: to begin to exhibit the traits and behaviors most fundamental to each of their individual personalities. Just as Aras and Tyson - speaking of Colton - did this Season.

And that demonstrable - time and circumstance tested – fact is also the most fundamental of this thread’s assumptions: we are creatures of habit and instinct.

But that body of assumption – in theory and in practice – operates a bit differently here than do the assumptions regarding patterned behavior made in other threads. Because here, the very first assumption is that no matter the Season’s twists and turns; the player’s gender, age or previous relationships with other players; production’s most careful plans – in short, no matter what circumstances are brought to bear – a Gemini is going to be a Gemini, a Taurus is going to be a Taurus, A Libra is going to be a Libra … etc. … etc. … etc. Under duress.

And because duress exaggerates and mercilessly exposes innate characteristics - good and bad – we’re all still – 27 Seasons and counting – watching Survivor.

Too, when behaviors are typed and their human actors grouped accordingly, it is possible to ‘track’ the historic performances of those groups within the Game. And thus the second assumption that you’ve found here: when the division of a cast into two ‘tribes’ – the six complementary Fire and Air Signs vs the six complementary Earth and Water Signs – produces a balance between the two, it is more likely that the Fire and Air Signs will produce the Season’s Sole Survivor.

But, it’s a pretty slim data base – six Seasons – and the score is 4 – 2, so I treat that assumption with a grain of salt.

However, when the division produces majority and minority populations, it is a fact that over those – now 20 – completed Seasons the majority has produced the winner 85% of the time. In 17 of 20 Games. And it is also a fact, I think, that ‘ the majority wins’ is so because Survivor is a social Game and a Season’s prevalent behavior sets become its dominant vibes. Its atmosphere. Its environment. The currency of its psychological marketplace. How it does business. And it is all about whether you’re in. Or out.

So:

This Season, the Fire and Air Signs are in the majority. And, for the moment at least, at Galang the Air Signs – Aras, Tyson and Monica – whose most basic characteristic is their requirement of cultural harmony and the care and feeding of their own inner calm – are running the show. Note for later reference: Rupert is also an Air Sign.

From the Profile:

“ The gift of Air is flexibility and its natives’ ability to experience life through many prisms. Air Signs use their minds to make sense of their lives and for them there is more space between the life lived and the observing mind than is so with other Signs.

And the distance between these masters of cultural navigation and their own emotions can be refreshing. These are extremely social creatures – their curiosity keeps them ever- mingling – and their currency is their ability to link diverse social groups or individuals with their often extraordinary collections of ideas, obscure facts, gossip and knowledge.

But, because Air Signs are especially vulnerable to the excesses of our mind-body split, balance is of paramount importance to them. So that while Air natives are usually calm and collected, they can – and frequently do – turn bitterly cold if their equilibrium is upset.

A word to the wise: there's little upside to baiting an Air Sign!”.

That said:

I am, as usual, running far behind my intentions. So, I’ll postpone most of what I had planned to write until after the show tonight and just briefly address the teases that have most intrigued me this week..

1. Tyson.

It seems that we’re going to have one really pissed-off Gemini at dinner this evening. And I’ll just remind everyone of Joel and the hapless Chet to illustrate the level of my anticipation of an extremely physical challenge played on the heels of Rachel’s (presumed) departure from Redemption Island.

2. Laura and Ciera. Tina and Katie.

Mother and daughter, Laura and Ciera, are both Leo. And Leo is a highly emotional – subjective and sensitive- personality.

From the Leo Profile:

“It is a Leo’s birthright to lead, and they'll naturally assume that role without being asked. However, if that authority is questioned, they may abandon a project entirely. Outgoing, spontaneously warm-hearted and plain-spoken (but poor judges of character), Leo are more disillusioned than the average if let down by those they trust. “

Tina and Katie are Capricorn and Cancer.

From the Capricorn and Cancer Profiles:

THE CAPRICORN PROFILE
Positive Traits

Practical and Prudent
Ambitious and Disciplined
Self-Reliant and Persevering
Resourceful and Creative

Negative Traits
Pessimistic and Melancholy
Materialistic and Stern
Conventional and Rigid
Demanding and Cold

THE CANCER PROFILE
Positive Traits

Nurturing and Sensuous
Intuitive and Imaginative
Shrewd and Tenacious
Sensitive and Empathetic

Negative Traits
Changeable and Moody
Self-Absorbed and Clinging
Subjective and Clannish
Neurotic and Needy

And I really don’t think that I’m going to enjoy watching these ladies compete against each other.

3. The contest at Redemption Island

4. Candice and Gervase are Scorpio. And Scorpio's signature behavior is their skill at prosecuting revenge.

Below is the updated – Galang and Tadhana – Tribal Chart.

|

Here is the updated – F&A/E&W – Tribal Chart. Note: Keep in mind that the none of the players on the right side of this Chart, as a practical matter, have a chance at winning this Game.

And here is the chart of the Signs' performances in F&A-dominant Seasons:

You can find the chart of the Signs performances in all of the twenty-six completed Seasons, here, on the thread's opening page.

And the chart of the Elements' performances in all of the twenty-six completed Seasons, here, on the next.

Finally, here are the links to the full text of each of the Signs' Profiles:

The Earth Signs – These three practical and industrious Signs are Capricorn, Taurus and Virgo.
The Water Signs – These three emotional and intuitive Signs are Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.
The Fire Signs – These three charismatic and spontaneous Signs are Aries, Leo and Sagittarius.
The Air Signs – These three intellectual and balanced Signs are Libra, Gemini and Aquarius

Well, I said I wanted to begin this second update with Galang. And the all-Galang previews and teases of this coming week’s episode have certainly cooperated.

So, because he isn’t here to defend himself – so far as we know – and because those previews and teases more than just hint that Colton is about to abandon our Wednesday evening soirees – again – I’ll start by saying that, although I won’t be at all sorry to see him go, I do understand and empathize with much of his behavior:

Colton is a Sagittarius. So is Osten. So is Dre of Fiji. So is Stephenie II of Guatemala. So are Shannon and Jane of Nicaragua. So is the also-infamous Shane (of Aras’ Exile Island). So am I.

And, earlier, I mentioned our miserable attention spans: ‘I think that Sagittarius playing the Game simply grow weary of it far sooner than do other Signs. Thirty-nine uninterrupted days is an awfully long time for one of us to maintain an interest in the most pleasant of pursuits. Much less contrived misery.’

Truth:

There is just no getting past the fact that Sagittarius are quickly and easily bored. We are not patient in the best of circumstances.

From the Sagittarius Profile:

“Their innate restlessness (which, if excessive, often jeopardizes more than their own stability) will often compel them to use even the most satisfying ménage as a base from which to … depart.”

Monica was wasting her breath.

And, God knows, we are not tactful and much prefer debate to consensus. However, when crossed, we are usually more contentious than combative (like Aries) and gruff rather than gloomy (like Leo) . In other words, usually a Sagittarius enjoys pricking pretentions as opposed to punching noses or pouting.

Positive Traits
Optimistic and Freedom-loving
Curious and Sporting
Good-humored and Straightforward
Expansive and Philosophical

Negative Traits
Blindly-optimistic and Careless
Irresponsible and Superficial
Flippant and Promiscuous
Tactless and Restless

And, as the profile tells us, Sagittarius, for better or worse, usually live life at its surface: what you see is what you get and what they see is what they tend to believe. They rarely spend a great deal of time examining their own – or anyone’s – navel. And although we love conversation – most of us enjoy listening as much as we do speaking – its polite version is not our forte. We don’t do saccharine small-talk well.

Moreover – meditation, massage (physical or psychological), orchestrated silence, therapy, group hugs, extended calm and widespread harmony, stylized good will, formulated sweetness and light – Kumbaya in all of its myriad incarnations – unnerves and irritates us. We instinctively distrust it. And I can’t even imagine the level of my distrust and irritation if I found myself living with a group of people renowned for their willingness to whore any emotion – and to engage in any social subterfuge – in order to win a Game who spent their off-time lining up to knead necks.

Jeez!!

Did I mention that hypocrisy infuriates us? Not to mention the fact that the symbolism is downright scary!

“These natives don’t seem to get bogged down in emotional complexities. So those who love them may wish for more depth: more feeling. And there are times when they are shockingly blunt … But … leave it to a Sagittarius to step into a messy tangle and sum up the situation with blinding clarity. This makes them invaluable when you need honesty rather than enabling.

However, Sagittarius can be exacting, domineering and inconsiderate: scorning the inadequacies of others while expecting expansive recognition of their own skills and effort. Too, they can be (and frequently are) impulsively angry. And, when angry, both male and female Sagittarians can be vicious: employing with precision those words or actions that will most severely wound their adversary. On the other hand, they are magnanimous in forgiving offenses and quick to make amends for their own intemperance.”

In addition to being socially awkward, Sagittarius, although usually adept at sports and dance, have a deserved reputation for being physically clumsy in everyday pursuits. And it is fair to say that in more ways than a few, Sagittarius have a talent for making jackasses of themselves and the fortunate among us truly treasure the people in our lives who love us despite ourselves and compulsively seek out their comfort when we’ve been a fool.

So, when Colton says that he needs to get to Caleb, I understand and empathize with that , too …

Now, having said all of this, I feel that its only fair to point out that Sagittarius also have a host of desirable traits. When I come back.

Note: Actually, Colton was born on the Scorpio/Sagittarius cusp and if he was born in the eight-hour window from 12:00 AM to 8:00 AM on his birthday, Sagittarius would be off the hook: Scorpio would have to claim him. But, although I have no idea – when – during the day he was born, his behavior is so suggestive of Sagittarius that I’ve just bitten that proverbial bullet and issued him a bow and arrow. I am not, however, responsible for the poisoned tips.

Back after the show to explain what I do not understand about Colton’s behavior. And, perhaps if I’m lucky, with the time to do a proper update of the state of the Signs in Blood v Water.

G

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Signs of Survival - Blood vs Water   Georjanna     09-17-13       
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     09-17-13     1  
   The Earth Signs   Georjanna     09-17-13     2  
   The Water Signs   Georjanna     09-17-13     3  
   The Fire Signs   Georjanna     09-17-13     4  
   The Air Signs   Georjanna     09-17-13     5  
   Repeating ...   Georjanna     09-17-13     6  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     09-25-13     7  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     10-02-13     8  
   Anyone you know?   Georjanna     10-16-13     9  
     Facinating!   suzzee     10-16-13     10  
         RE: Facinating!   Georjanna     10-19-13     13  
     RE: Anyone you know?   dabo     10-16-13     11  
         RE: Anyone you know?   Georjanna     10-19-13     14  
             PS:   Georjanna     10-19-13     15  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     10-16-13     12  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     10-23-13     16  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     11-06-13     17  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     11-13-13     18  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     11-20-13     19  
     RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     11-20-13     21  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     11-20-13     20  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     11-20-13     22  
   RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     12-05-13     23  
     RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   suzzee     12-06-13     24  
         RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     12-06-13     27  
     RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   kingfish     12-06-13     25  
         RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   Georjanna     12-06-13     26  
             RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   mimo     12-07-13     28  
                 RE: Signs of Survival - Blood vs Wa...   easygoingry232534     12-14-13     29  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •