The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Players, The Game, The Editing ..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

AaronLittleton 123 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-23-13, 04:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AaronLittleton Click to send private message to AaronLittleton Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "S26 Episode 6 - Editing Thoughts"
Finally a tribe swap!

Okay, before I share my main thoughts about the players, I have to say it was fun to see the rest of the fallout from Brandon's departure. While people can agree with Philip's confessional that Brandon needs a professional, I feel the scene back at the Bikal beach gives a clear picture that Philip should sign himself up for a session or two with said professional.

I imagine a lot was said by Philip to the group at that time, leading us to speculate about what was chosen to be used from Philip's deluded version of what happened. Hearing him say "Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe I've had any cross words with him" must've had most viewers go "WTF?" The camera also panned to Malcolm's face contorting as if to hold back an impression that Philip did indeed need to be corrected. And then we have Dawn chime in trying to diffuse the situation by saying sorry that he (and Corinne) got called out. This all, once again lets us know that it's pretty clear most of the players are simply choosing to appease Philip and his delusions.

That being said, Philip's confessionals are so bipolar that there is an occasional gem in what his says (and this is very tough for me to acknowledge!) But just as in his first season, Philip will have an overt showing no matter where he places - production simply cannot refuse his fodder.

Once again I saw the character breakdowns in the forms of pairs:

Philip & Corinne

Having been broken apart from their main alliance partners, Philip from Andrea & Corinne from Malcolm (at least, in her perception) - these two now make the most prominent (and volatile) pairing in the game. With the Fans down in numbers on both tribes, and an assumed "pagonging" to happen to the remaining Fans, it's very apparent that production is seriously dishing up a Philip vs. Corinne arc to feed us through some predictable boots. While I do enjoy Corinne's snarky confessionals being directed toward Philip, it already seems like too much banter by both of them about the other.

Is production milking this for all it's worth because a showdown will happen soon? Or are we going to endure this for awhile (& likely grow tiresome before it finishes) Either way there's no subtle that there is mutual disdain going on here. The difference being that Corinne has finally emerged as a character in the story. But it's not her story, as it appears like she's more or less taking the place of Brandon as Philip's object of rejection.

Cochran & Dawn

This to me is the true power pair - and they are mostly being hidden for the more dramatic players to be center stage. I still remember their scene re-connecting in the first the episode, and them deciding to vote together. They swayed the integral first vote, and have played to it's favor since. While Dawn hasn't had as many confessionals as Cochran, she has been key in a number of the camp scenes ranging from stoic to emotional to voicing reason. I believe we're being shown Dawn on the periphery of all this because she'll make it far in the game. Cochran is also on the periphery, and while less involved in the developing situations, he's had consistent confessionals voicing his accurate depictions of what we're viewing from the game so far.

Even more to Cochran's favor, we got to hear the thoughts of the ever-observant player that he is after Philip stated "one of us is gonna win this thing." In addition, we got Cochran's assessment in determining Matt as the boot, and we witnessed the assured way he was able to share it with his alliance. Cochran is being show as on-point. While we see that Dawn was quickly on board with this boot logic, Cochran is clearly getting an edge over her in the edit department. While I do feel production is taking some effort to hide him a bit, right now he seems to be the best choice to take this game all the way.

Andrea & Malcolm

Due to the swap, Andrea gets some reprieve from Philip, and Malcolm gets to hold his idol on a separate beach from Corinne. These two were the focal points over at nuGota. What a great scene with them walking through the jungle comparing notes (and lively music accompanying them in the background). Now in the second act, it's likely that we see a connection between these two players - who would appear to be a better match with each other than with their previous pairings. While both of them are above using flirting as their main modus operandi to get to the end, they almost can't help it coming through with one another. It was a notable scene. And we got to see Andrea question about the idol - both idols for that matter. Could she be influential in deflecting the idol's power in the future?

Andrea also got a great confessional over at the nuGota tribe about Sherri "spilling the beans" about her tribe's dynamics. Once again we get some narration with a dose of strategy talk from Andrea. She's getting a nice consistent edit and it appears that her head is always in the game. Similarly, Malcolm's confessional was the counterpart to this regarding the Gota boys divulgence. Having Malcolm coming front and center here is giving him some meat to his story which was sorely needed. Is it enough? Is it too late? He's had a consistent edit so far, but not as strong as Andrea. Let's see if they continue to remain tied.

Eric & Brenda

The interesting thing about this pairing is that they've never been noted as a pair. They were both on the minority side of the first vote. They were the last two of the Faves to be added to Stealth R Us. And then they were both transferred to the nuGota tribe. Perhaps game-wise they aren't so united, or perhaps they are simply not an integral part of the story. Or maybe, I'm just seeing their pairing so clearly based on the fact that these two Faves are being majorly ignored (so far).

We finally get another confessional from Eric, and it was him giving us the scoop over at the nuGota tribe. I felt it was pretty similar to his confessionals in Ep 1, only thing this time he spoke about his "red flags" with Reynold. While viewers may agree with Eric's viewpoint on Reynold, and Philip in Ep 1, we are only hearing about who Eric doesn't want to align with and not hearing who he is with. This is leaving Eric without any semblance of an alliance, along with being in opposition to the top 2 players getting the most attention. Eric is merely skating UTR it seems, but that doesn't look to be a winning strategy this season (as we have more strategic players around with Cochran, Malcolm, Andrea, Philip, even Dawn)

Reynold & Eddie

Here we have the most obvious pair of all - especially to the other players in the game. The recap was fairly nice to the Gota boys. Although, it's not necessarily a major compliment to state that Reynold has "luck" in finding the idols, rather than noting their actual strengths (do they have any?) Reynold still stands out as the more alpha of the pair. In confessional after the swap he states that he could not be happier & "it's a whole new life, whole new chance, whole new game, it's day 1 for Eddie & me now" Sounds promising, right?! But for how long?

We even saw Sherri talking about them - calling Eddie wonderful, when not with Reynold (making it a back-handed compliment) and calling Reynold a "salesman"(right after Eric's comment of him coming across as a "used car salesman" - Ouch!) The Gota boys aren't getting as favorable portrayal as they could if they were to prevail. Even in Eddie's confessional, it was very basic narration, along with another mention of being aligned with good-looking people. Sheesh dude, Survivor is not a beauty pageant. Yes, it's social, and yes, there's a likeability factor, but Eddie's comments seem as shallow as they can come, hardly leaving us to root for him.

Matt & Michael

This pair got the raw end of the deal with the swap. And obviously more so for Matt, the boot, as he was shown as the most trying, most honest, and most likeable of three. There simply was no sensible reason whatsoever to keep him. Interesting to note that of the Fans (those with neck & neck confessionals - Matt, Michael, Sherri, and Eddie) Matt got the spike last episode and a lackluster depiction contrary to what was previously shown of him.

Michael isn't fairing too well either. The recap stated that Michael couldn't hold on, and then he & his closest alliance mate had the misfortune to be switched over to the physically weaker tribe. He's separated from Sherri, but he does have an admirer in Corinne. While being called "a gay" by Corinne may have seemed likely a terrible depiction for Michael this episode, it was actually balanced out by being brought up by Corinne in tribal to Jeff - with Michael shown smiling on. Still, being tied to Corinne, Philip's enemy number one, does not bode that well for him. It would be a hoot to see if the heavy emphasis on all of this was some foreshadowing to have Corinne's "gay" be the one to replace her if the alliance were to oust her. That might be Michael's only hope.

Julia & Sherri

These are the lone ladies of each tribe. While it was nice to finally get some sense of Julia in this episode - it was very little and showed her more as a possible pawn in the game than anything else. But what's even worse for her is that we heard from the other players about their disapproval of Philip's attempts to talk with her about strategy. It was clearly spelled out to us that she won't be needed for that purpose. Sorry, Julia, but a story that does not make.

Sherri, on the other hand, may fair better in being in the position of a single player. She landed on the tribe that's more likely to win until the merge - so, if she gets there, it can work out better for her over the other fans. While both her and Reynold divulged to the Favorites and through each other under the best, we heard a confessional from Eric that this was deemed negative for Reynold. Whereas Andrea's comment about Sherri after their ocean bathing was less harsh about her "spilling the beans." It may be good for Sherri's immediate survival that she wasn't highlighted in this episode. Although not hearing a confessional about her assessment of her situation on the new tribe leads me to question if she will last as long as her previous trajectory.

Afterthoughts:

This episode there was sooo much Corinne! While some can say that her snarky confessionals are needed now that we lost "entertaining" characters like Brandon and Shamar (some version of entertaining, that is ;) I'm just not feeling that it's the best thing for her edit to be so outspoken in this new act of having a tribal switch. I would feel better for her chances, if the shift wasn't so extreme. It could just be poor editing with production pouncing us over the head with her & Philip's rivalry. Or it can be vital to explain an upcoming Corinne boot.

I'm thinking Corinne will be on the losing end of this conflict. It's not just her omnipresence this episode, or her high spike in confessionals, but the content of them. Three times she stated something to the effect that her alliance would NOT flip. Twice specifically about Philip and once about her fellow Faves when speaking of nuBikal. If this were misdirection, why would production feel the need to drill it in so much? It's more likely that they're (over)planting the seed that someone will flip. And it looks more like foreshadowing for Corinne's game rather that foreshadowing about something that may happen within the game in general. It's going to be really interesting to see how they're going to follow up with Corinne next episode.

-- aaron

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The Players, The Game, The Editing ...   VerucaSalt     02-05-13       
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   michel     02-05-13     1  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Flowerpower     02-18-13     9  
         RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   michel     02-18-13     10  
   Episode 1 - Playing the Game Faster   michel     02-16-13     2  
     RE: Episode 1 - Playing the Game Fa...   Round Robin     02-17-13     3  
         RE: Episode 1 - Playing the Game Fa...   michel     02-17-13     5  
     RE: Episode 1 - Playing the Game Fa...   suzzee     02-17-13     4  
         RE: Episode 1 - Playing the Game Fa...   michel     02-17-13     6  
             RE: Episode 1 - Playing the Game Fa...   Round Robin     02-18-13     7  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   Flowerpower     02-18-13     8  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   michel     02-18-13     11  
   S26 Episode 1 - Editing Thoughts   AaronLittleton     02-19-13     12  
   S26 Episode 2 - Editing Thoughts   AaronLittleton     02-23-13     13  
     RE: S26 Episode 2 - Editing Thought...   dabo     02-23-13     14  
         RE: S26 Episode 2 - Editing Thought...   Estee     02-23-13     15  
     Episode 2 - They Came To Play:   michel     02-23-13     16  
         RE: Episode 2 - They Came To Play:   dabo     02-23-13     17  
             RE: Episode 2 - They Came To Play:   michel     02-23-13     18  
                 RE: Episode 2 - They Came To Play:   dabo     02-23-13     19  
                     RE: Episode 2 - They Came To Play:   michel     02-23-13     20  
                         RE: Episode 2 - They Came To Play:   dabo     02-23-13     21  
   Episode 3 - A Poker Game   michel     03-02-13     22  
     RE: Episode 3 - A Poker Game   AaronLittleton     03-03-13     23  
         RE: Episode 3 - A Poker Game   michel     03-03-13     24  
             RE: Episode 3 - A Poker Game   AaronLittleton     03-03-13     25  
                 RE: Episode 3 - A Poker Game   PepeLePew13     03-04-13     26  
                     RE: Episode 3 - A Poker Game   AaronLittleton     03-04-13     27  
                         RE: Episode 3 - A Poker Game   dabo     03-04-13     28  
   RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   PepeLePew13     03-08-13     29  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   dabo     03-08-13     30  
     RE: The Players, The Game, The Edit...   michel     03-09-13     32  
   Episode 3: Have - Have Nots   michel     03-09-13     31  
     RE: Episode 3: Have - Have Nots   parathor     03-13-13     33  
     RE: Episode 3: Have - Have Nots   suzzee     03-13-13     34  
   Post-Breakdown Thoughts   Bebo     03-14-13     35  
   Episode 5 - The Turning Point   michel     03-16-13     36  
     RE: Episode 5 - The Turning Point   suzzee     03-16-13     37  
         RE: Episode 5 - The Turning Point   michel     03-17-13     38  
             RE: Episode 5 - The Turning Point   CTgirl     03-17-13     39  
   S26 Episode 6 - Editing Thoughts   AaronLittleton     03-23-13     40  
     Episode 6 - Flipping   michel     03-23-13     41  
         RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   PepeLePew13     03-23-13     42  
             RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   puzzled11     03-24-13     43  
             RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   michel     03-24-13     44  
         RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   AaronLittleton     03-24-13     45  
             RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   michel     03-24-13     46  
                 RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   AaronLittleton     03-25-13     48  
         RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   Murphy3126     03-24-13     47  
             RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   parathor     03-25-13     49  
                 RE: Episode 6 - Flipping   Murphy3126     03-25-13     50  
   Episode 7 - Delusions:   michel     03-29-13     51  
     RE: Episode 7 - Delusions:   parathor     04-01-13     52  
     RE: Episode 7 - Delusions:   Murphy3126     04-02-13     53  
     RE: Episode 7 - Delusions:   Murphy3126     04-02-13     54  
     RE: Episode 7 - Delusions:   suzzee     04-09-13     60  
   S26 Episode 8 - Editing Thoughts   AaronLittleton     04-05-13     55  
     Episode 8 - The Decision-Makers   michel     04-06-13     56  
         Opinion on "tailor-made" comment   Chillicrab     04-09-13     57  
             RE: Opinion on "tailor-made" commen...   dabo     04-09-13     58  
                 RE: Opinion on "tailor-made" commen...   Belle Book     04-09-13     59  
             RE: Opinion on "tailor-made" commen...   michel     04-09-13     62  
                 RE: Opinion on "tailor-made" commen...   jobgirl     04-10-13     63  
         RE: Episode 8 - The Decision-Maker...   suzzee     04-09-13     61  
   S26 Episode 9 - Editing Thoughts   AaronLittleton     04-13-13     64  
     Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   michel     04-13-13     65  
         RE: Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   puzzled11     04-13-13     66  
             RE: Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   michel     04-14-13     68  
         RE: Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   dabo     04-13-13     67  
             RE: Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   parathor     04-14-13     69  
                 RE: Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   michel     04-14-13     70  
                     RE: Episode 9 - Tomfoolery   parathor     04-16-13     71  
   Episode 10 - A World of Total Paran...   michel     04-20-13     72  
     S26 Episode 10 - Editing Thoughts   AaronLittleton     04-21-13     73  
         RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   suzzee     04-21-13     78  
             RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   AaronLittleton     04-22-13     80  
         RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   michel     04-22-13     81  
             RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   chemig521     04-22-13     82  
                 RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   AaronLittleton     04-22-13     84  
             RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   AaronLittleton     04-22-13     83  
                 RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   michel     04-23-13     85  
                 RE: S26 Episode 10 - Editing Though...   AaronLittleton     04-26-13     86  
     RE: Episode 10 - A World of Total P...   AaronLittleton     04-21-13     74  
     RE: Episode 10 - A World of Total P...   dabo     04-21-13     75  
         RE: Episode 10 - A World of Total P...   michel     04-21-13     76  
             RE: Episode 10 - A World of Total P...   dabo     04-21-13     79  
     RE: Episode 10 - A World of Total P...   suzzee     04-21-13     77  
   Episode 11 - Delicious!   michel     04-26-13     87  
     RE: Episode 11 - Delicious!   dabo     04-27-13     88  
         RE: Episode 11 - Delicious!   michel     04-27-13     89  
     RE: Episode 11 - Delicious!   suzzee     05-06-13     95  
   Episode 12 - Timing:   michel     05-04-13     90  
     RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   jobgirl     05-04-13     91  
     RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   AaronLittleton     05-05-13     92  
         RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   michel     05-05-13     93  
             RE: Episode 12 - Average Viewer:   jobgirl     05-05-13     94  
                 RE: Episode 12 - Average Viewer:   AaronLittleton     05-08-13     98  
             RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   AaronLittleton     05-08-13     97  
                 RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   Belle Book     05-08-13     100  
                     RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   PepeLePew13     05-08-13     101  
                         RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   Belle Book     05-08-13     102  
     RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   suzzee     05-07-13     96  
         RE: Episode 12 - Timing:   AaronLittleton     05-08-13     99  
   Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Game   michel     05-10-13     103  
     RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   dabo     05-10-13     104  
         RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   chemig521     05-11-13     106  
         RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   michel     05-11-13     107  
             RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   dabo     05-11-13     109  
     RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   Round Robin     05-11-13     105  
         RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   michel     05-11-13     108  
             RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   dabo     05-11-13     110  
             RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   suzzee     05-12-13     111  
                 RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   Round Robin     05-12-13     112  
     RE: Episode 13 - This Is A Crazy Ga...   AaronLittleton     05-12-13     113  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •