The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-14-12, 05:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
Please correct me on details I have wrong -- before the edit timer runs out would be good.

VolcanicGlass asked a question on the vidcaps topic so I did some homework. The post is buried in that topic, so thought I'd make it separate. We can update it as we go along, make comments on HII strategy, producer manipulation or not, and so forth.
-------
To begin, the list of the fooled who departed Idol in Pocket:
James (China), Ozzy, Jason (Micronesia), Brendan (Tocantins), and Erik (Samoa). Of these, I believe that only Erik's HII was a secret.

S11 GUATEMALA
The HII was introduced as a twist shortly after merge. HII clue came with reward, but Gary Hogeboom was able to find the HII without the clue by shadowing Judd. Gary did play it and saved himself for one time.

# of Idols, Locations, Clues, Twists, Expiration, Plays, Blindsides, Rehidden or not

S12 PANAMA EXILE ISLAND
The first season long HII was introduced with Exile Island. Only one HII, clue given to Exile. HII hidden at EI.
Twist: winning tribe of RC (or individual RC winner or team) picked exile from opposite tribe.
Expired F4

Terry found HII in Ep. 4. Never needed to play it, had immunity the episode it expired.

S13 COOK ISLANDS
Rules same as PEI.
One HII, clue given to Exile. HII hidden at EI.
Twist: winning tribe of RC (or individual RC winner or team) picked exile from opposite tribe.
Expired F4

Yul found HII in Ep 2, never needed to play it.

S14 FIJI
Clue was at EI, but there were two HII's, one in each camp.
Twist: RC winner picked Exile from opposing tribe.
Expired: F5

HII #1: Yau Man found HII Ep 7.
Yau played it at F6/Ep 13. First "idol bounce" ever.

HII #2: Edgardo/Alex/Mookie found it together in Ep 8.
HII #2 played by Alex Ep 10.
Idol rehidden.
Yau exiled himself to get clue at EI, shared with Earl. Earl found it at F6.
Earl played it at F5, expiring. (?)

S15 CHINA
No Exile Island, 2 idols, 1 in each camp, hidden in main part of camp.
Twist: RC winner got to kidnap a member of opposite tribe, who would have a clue to share. No clues given out post-merge as both had been found. Not clear how or if they planned to give them out, see Samoa for one method.
Expired: Most likely F5.

James voted out at F7 with 2 in pocket (one from Todd in Ep 6, one found in Ep 7. People knew he had them. No HII put back in play. Reason not given.
Jaime played an item she mistakenly thought was an idol.

S16 MICRONESIA (Fans vs. Faves)
1 HII, clue and idol at Exile Island, with one exception where only the clue was at EI.
Twists: Pre-merge RC winner chooses exile, then someone from winning tribe must go too. Both can use clues to hunt for HII. Post-merge: RC winner chooses Exile or Exile is odd person not picked for team. In Ep 11, auction item winner must pick exile.
Expired: F5 (presumedly, last played F6 and hidden F5, not found).

Ep4: Ozzy finds HII (only one looking).
Ep 10, Ozzy voted out with HII in pocket. Rehidden.
Ep 11: Jason finds it. Jason voted out with HII. Everyone knew he had it.
Rehidden.
Ep 12: Amanda found it (clue at EI, HII at camp). Amanda played it.
Rehidden at F5.
Ep 13/F5: Parvati sent to EI to block Erik or Natalie. Parvati doesn't bother to look for it.

Fake idol: Ozzy makes fake idol. Jason finds it. Eliza plays it, knowing it is fake.

Ozzy's alliance knew he had HII, including Parvati who flipped on him.
They knew Jason had gone to HII and found idol.

S17 GABON
1 HII at Exile Island, RC winner chooses Exile.
Twist: Choice between Tempation and Search for Idol.

Sugar found it Ep 3. Held it until last time to use it (F5), gave it to Matty.

Fake idol: Bob makes elaborate fake idol, fools Randy. Randy plays it.
All 3 people to play a mistaken or fake HII were in fact eliminated.

S18 TOCANTINS
2 HII's, 1 at each camp. Clues at Exile Island.
1st Ep Twist: First Impression losers had a chance to find one time only HII at camp while others did trek.

Twist: RC winners choose 1 from opposing tribe; that Exile chooses 1 from winning tribe. Two urns to choose from, one with clue.

HII #1: Brendan finds Timbira HII in Ep 3.
Ep 8: Brendan is blindsided with idol after revealing he has it and not playing it.
HII #2: Taj and Stephen find Jalapao HII in Ep 5, Stephen held on to it. Taj promised to share it with JT when he saw she had it.
Never played.

Fake HII: Taj and Stephen made a fake HII, found by Joe, not played.
Tocantins marked the end of Exile Island, after six seasons of it.

S19 SAMOA

2 idols, 1 in each camp.
Twist: RC winners choose 1 of their own to visit enemy camp, who gets clue. (Similar to China, but ambassador instead of kidnapping).
Post-merge: clues went to RC team winners. Russell found one without clue when he did not win RC.
Expired: F6 (Day 36).

HII #1 Foa Foa, Russell found Ep 2, supposedly without help.
Russell played it Ep 8.
Rehidden. Found by Russell Ep 9. Played by Russell Ep 9.
Rehidden. Found by Russell Ep 10. Never played. Worn around Russell's neck at F7 and F6 TC's.

HII #2 Galu: Erik found Ep 4, voted out blindsided with HII Ep 8 (merge).
Not rehidden.

S20 HEROES vs. VILLAINS
2 idols, one in each camp.
Twist: unannounced, hidden in Reward items.
Expired: F6.

HII #1-- Heroes
Ep 4: Tom finds it. Tom plays it.
Rehidden.
Ep 8: JT finds it, is caught and agrees to use it for tribe.
Ep 9: JT passes it to Russell.
Merge: Russell gives it to Parvati, who passes his and hers to Jerri and Sandra.

HII #2 -- Villains.
Ep 5: Russell finds it.
Ep 5: Russell gives it to Parvati at TC.
Rehidden.
Ep 9: Parvati and Danielle find it.
Merge: Parvati is not immune, but gives one to Jerri and one to Sandra.

Post merge (Ep 11 on): 1 idol.
Ep 11: Danielle grabs clue, Russell finds HII. Russell plays HII.
Rehidden. Sandra finds it Ep 12.
Ep 13: Sandra plays HII, last time to play it.

S21 NICARAGUA
2 idols, 1 in each camp.
Twist: Clues in Reward items are hard to decipher puzzles.
Expired: F6

Ep 2: Jill and Marty find Espada idol.
Ep 4: Na Onka and Brenda find La Flor idol.

Chase got Na Onka's HII when she quit at F9.
Sash got Marty's pre-merge, in return for agreement to vote out Jill.
Both played them at F6, last chance.

S22 REDEMPTION ISLAND
2 idols, 1 at each camp.
Twist: Clues in Rewards, successive clues.
Expired: Second F5, after RI returnee.

Ometepe Idol:
Ep 1: Kristina found it without any clue.
Ep 2: Kristina played idol. Rehidden.
Ep 4: Rob finds HII.
Rob keeps idol until second F5, then plays it.

Zapatera Idol:
Ep 2: Rooster found it without any clue.
Merge: Rooster plays it for Mike. Not rehidden.

Humor factor: Rob finds and (and with Grant) sabotages clues so that no one knows about them.

S23 SOUTH PACIFIC
2 idols, 1 in each camp.
Twist: Clues to HII are also hidden in camp.
Expired: Second F5

Savai'i idol:
Ep 2: Ozzy finds HII without clue.
Ozzy loans HII to Cochran to hold for him.
Merge: Ozzy's HII is wasted on Whitney.
Not rehidden.

Upolu idol:
Ep 5: Albert finds clue, shares it, Coach finds idol "for his F3 alliance."
Coach plays idol at 2nd F5.

Fake idol: Papa Bear tries this gambit as a bluff, fails, doesn't play it.

S24: ONE WORLD
2 idols, one in each camp.
Twist: No clues. Each HII earmarked for specific one tribe.

Manono HII:
Ep Sabrina finds it, gives it to Colton.
Ep 6: Colton med-evac'd right before merge with idol. Rehidden after merge.

Ep 7: Troyzan finds it. Ep 9: Troyzan plays it.

Salani HII:
Ep 5: Kim finds it after swap.
Only Kim and Chelsea know she has it as of Ep 9.

"If given a choice between two equally promising lines of play, always choose the more elegant." (a saying of my father's, later quoted by his bridge partner)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Flowerpower 04-14-12 1
 RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... VolcanicGlass 04-14-12 2
   RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Outfrontgirl 04-14-12 3
 RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Estee 04-14-12 4
 RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... michel 04-14-12 5
   RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... PepeLePew13 04-14-12 6
       RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Outfrontgirl 04-14-12 7
           RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Estee 04-14-12 8
               RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Outfrontgirl 04-14-12 9
           RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... michel 04-15-12 10
               RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Outfrontgirl 04-15-12 11
                   RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-... Estee 04-15-12 12
 More potential idol types. Estee 04-15-12 13
 Additional HIstory South Pacific dabo 04-16-12 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-12, 07:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
WOW, OFG! This is an AMAZING historical review....color me impressed! Thanks so much for the hard work and the thread!

VolcanicGlass 428 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-14-12, 07:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VolcanicGlass Click to send private message to VolcanicGlass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
OFG, nice recap. Thanks for pulling it together.

You missed one idol in Gabon. That idol was hidden at the merge feast location. Once found, the players, as a group, decided to toss it into the sea.

You may want to note that the Cook Islands idol gave Yul a free spot in the FTC. Since then, the idol has expired one boot prior to FTC.

Not sure whether it's worth noting, but in the spirit of comprehensive coverage, at least on three occasions, people have searched other players' bags to look for hidden idols and found them: Fiji (Alex, Edgardo, and Mookie looking through Yau-Man's bag), China (Jaime looking through James' bag), and Gabon (Crystal, Ken, and Matty looking through Sugar's bag.) There may be more, but those are the only ones I remember.

One quick point. When I mentioned the idol not being known to the entire tribe, it wasn't so much whether it was a secret or not from the players, but rather whether it was acknowledged at TC (either by a Probst question or by a voluntary statement from one of the players) that someone had possession of the idol.

It is a slight distinction, but one that which makes the knowledge of idol possession "officially" public for all. Of course, as we all know, there is no such thing as precedence in Survivor. Rules are rewritten at will.

04-14-12, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-12 AT 09:22 AM (EST)

It's all worth noting, VG!

I was trying not to make a long paragraph to each season, but then I added some things, like fake idols, but didn't add all the information on who voted whom and whether the idol play saved the person. There is more that could be said; I was mostly going for the rules. Feel free to add anything.

The idol in Gabon, of course, for some reason I never thought of it in the same class, I suppose because no one ever possessed it.

Yes, Yul did get a free ticket to the finals at F4. I cannot remember for sure, but I think he didn't strategize for that. There had never been a Final 3 before, so he would have expected to be in Terry's shoes, fighting for Final Immunity. Didn't Probst announce the F3 after the F5 vote? Either at TC, or when they showed for F4 immunity?

Bag searching -- good category.
The women searched Jason's bag, in Micronesia, and everyone was aware of the search (other than Jason), although the guys (Erik and James) did not take part.

I actually can't think of any HII that wasn't acknowledged publicly at some point other than the one Erik took with him in Samoa. Can you?

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-12, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
I think a history demarcation point has to be drawn between the landmine (idol automatically activates when the holder is voted out) and the grenade (idol use must be declared before the votes are read), as it radically affects use strategy, possessor confidence, and flush techniques.

I also have a nice long idol timeline set up for a season which technically never happened, but I'll hold it unless it's requested. 'twas an active season for idols, though.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-12, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-12 AT 03:33 PM (EST)

It's nice to have it all spelled out. Nice work!

Just a couple of notes:

>"Terry found HII in Ep. 4.
>Never needed to play it,
>had immunity the episode it expired.>

Actually, it expired at F4 and Terry didn't have immunity then, Aras had immunity but since everyone knew Terry had the idol, they didn't vote for him. It cost Cirie the game.

>"Fake idol: Bob makes elaborate
>fake idol, fools Randy.
>Randy plays it."

Bob made a second idol and fooled Kenny into thinking it was the one that Marcus hadn't thrown out to sea. Kenny fell for it but then decided to vote against Corinne instead of Matty. It cost Kenny the game.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-12, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
Bob easily gets my vote for the greatest fake idol ever - heck, it's the best-designed idol, real or fake, period!

Awesome job outlining everything related to the HII, OFG! This is going to be an excellent resource to bump up at the start of each season for years to come.

04-14-12, 08:01 PM (EST)
7. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-12 AT 08:12 PM (EST)

Thanks you guys! I definitely did it as a resource for the board.

I appreciate the notes on E&O. I definitely do not remember a lot of things that happened, or my memory is faulty. For example, I thought that Terry won all the immunities until the idol could no longer protect him, at which point he lost the crucial immunity. I forgot about the Aras win. Why Terry didn't play it just in case they challenged him mystifies me. But now I understand why he didn't give Danielle the HII, as he was vulnerable without it. Thanks michel!

I am not sure I want to put in all occurrences of fake idols, but I started it, so I guess I should finish if there is only one more. My primary interest in my own post was to track the twists and rules relating to the real idols, so we can see what has been done in the past when we spec about the future.

However, if any of you super knowledgable folks want to create posts about HII game play and how it has changed the game in different seasons, PLEASE go for it. I would find it fascinating, and it would make the resource that much better.

I simply don't have much energy left after the endeavor from yesterday.

I will try to edit the corrections into the top post later today, while I can still edit. How long does the timer allow changes these days?

Also, please let me know if you can think of any HII's that passed from the game without being acknowledged or known, especially at TC, per VG's interesting comment that prompted me to go looking stuff up.

Like I said, I only recall the Erik idol situation, and I could be wrong about that one too.

04-14-12, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
The last time I personally got a 'You cannot correct your embarrassingly basic spelling mistake', it allowed 10,000 minutes from the time of the original posting. So just under a week.

04-14-12, 08:14 PM (EST)
9. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
LMAO, thank you, Estee! And thanks for translating 10K minutes into days for me.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-12, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-12 AT 03:07 PM (EST)

"Why Terry didn't play it just in case they challenged him mystifies me."

He didn't play it because he was allowed to wait for the votes to be read before giving it to Probst. The S12 and S13 idol rules were poorly designed.

04-15-12, 05:10 PM (EST)
11. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
You have such a great memory, michel. I did not remember that. Thanks so much, that was a major change then when they made people play it before the votes were read.

04-15-12, 06:26 PM (EST)
12. "RE: History of the HII: Seasons 11-25 and still going"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-12 AT 06:27 PM (EST)

That's what I meant by the line between the landmine and the grenade. With the grenade, the holder has to choose when to pull and throw -- and if their timing was off or they didn't see the enemy storming the bunker, goodbye. In fact, it doesn't matter how many grenades you have if you're too blind to spot an advance -- right, James?

But you can't bluff a landmine. It was step and die, and everyone knew it. Any flush technique would knock someone out. If you struck early and had an extreme numerical advantage or lots of allies-for-the-day, you might still get rid of a problem -- but for your primary target, you essentially had to either wait for the idol to expire or vote them out twice. And thus Terry's strategy, which broke down to 'Stick idol up shorts and try not to walk too funny.' There were arguably times in his season when he could have changed things by passing the idol off and saving an ally, but he chose to believe in his challenge skills and Not So Ultimate Job Security. Yul deviated from that -- but not by much.

I felt the landmine was viable as a hidden idol type, but the duration ran too long: holding one for the entire game was giving the finder too much power. The grenade may be more balanced, but most holders tend to blow themselves up.

Is there a potential third idol type? Sure. Here's one for the individual play stage: the time bomb. Use that one (either through automatic activation or deliberate intent -- it's potentially fun either way) and you're spared from that Council -- but every vote you got against you travels one cycle into the future. If you can win personal Immunity in the next cycle, then your votes are negated. If not, every vote which applied to you from that last TC is now sitting in the container again -- and everyone is about to vote a second time. And all numbers are cumulative.

Did you trigger the idol with zero votes in there for you? Then maybe you're okay -- except that now you have no idol and everyone knows it. Was it used with the majority against you? Then your only hope is to either get an equal number for someone else and force the tie or somehow swing a new Greater Than sign: good luck with that political rally. Were you the subject of the minority vote? The enemy has a head start...

Viable?

04-15-12, 07:01 PM (EST)
13. "More potential idol types."
Rough first-draft ideas.

Dead man's switch

(I'm tempted to name it The RussHell.) You are voted out. Whoever got the next largest number of votes is also voted out. Backstabbing from beyond the grave: if you're going, you're taking someone with you. This one can be used on deliberate or automatic trigger and does horrible things to the typical idol countertactic of vote splitting -- in both directions. Use this one the wrong way and you could also destroy your own alliance from beyond the grave. (Of course, that may be what you intended.) Also requires some planning from Production because use of the idol creates a very sudden double-elimination episode, so you may want to have a normal one scheduled which can be converted back to single at need -- and even so, this can wind up wrecking the calendar.

Reset button

You suddenly have immunity at that Council. However, there is no bounce. Everyone -- including you -- votes again. No one can vote for you this time (or the normal Immunity holder, if we're in the individual stage). Basically a 'Get rid of my best ally free' card: you're fine for now, but you just know you're sending a friend home -- and imagine how they're going to feel about it. Activation can be automatic or deliberate.

Glove to the face

Everyone who received votes at that Council goes to an insta-challenge, played out right then and there. Whoever comes in last for that challenge goes home. Creates uncertainty: the idol doesn't so much protect you as throw you into a duel. It's a second chance -- but you can lose this one too. I like this one for automatic activation because it puts a 'who can I beat?' element (for a challenge you know nothing about) in the countervote -- assuming you bothered to tell your allies. It's fine for a pin-puller, though.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-12, 00:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Additional HIstory South Pacific"
Episode 7
Concerned that Brandon would figure out that someone found the HII leading to another Brandon blow-up, Albert, Coach and Sophie stage a ruse Upolu idol hunt in which the HII is "found" -- Brandon, Edna and Rick are fooled. Sophie later revealed the ruse to the jury at Final Tribal.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •