The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

NoParole 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-10-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NoParole Click to send private message to NoParole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
A lot of couples have broken up playing this game. Watching past episodes, as well as this one, depicts the majority of couples parting ways after the show - Flo&Zach, Cip&Riechen, and so on. I guess my question is "Would these couples still be together had they not undertaken this venture." We all think it would be fun, but I'm sure, so did they... My wife and I have applied, but we're not dissapointed anymore if we don't get a call.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? Bebo 01-10-05 1
   RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? seahorse 01-11-05 10
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? nailbone 01-10-05 2
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? realitybites 01-10-05 3
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? mikey 01-10-05 4
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? Earl Colby Pottinger 01-10-05 5
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? Spidey 01-10-05 6
   RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? Bebo 01-11-05 9
       RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? PepeLePew13 01-11-05 11
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? TARJUNKIE999 01-10-05 7
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? Ruthless 01-11-05 8
 RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!? Cygnus X1 01-11-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-10-05, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
I just keep thinking back to a long-ago episode of Murphy Brown where Miles says that no one should be allowed to get married before they've taken a road trip. With a map.

Yeah, the Race tests relationships. But guess what? So does life. Most of the couples that broke up because of the Race already knew they had some issues to deal with. The Race provides a high-pressure situation 24/7. Some couples can handle that, others can't.

For the couples that broke up after doing the Race together, I think that if this hadn't broken them up, something else would have. It's just an indication that they didn't have a strong enough relationship to make it through a tough time.

You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-05, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
Totally agree. If they were meant to break up, the race might speed it along, but the ones who have broken up would have broken up anyway, just maybe not as quickly.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-05, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
I agree with Beebs (yes, darlin', you make that look DAMN good!!). If they break up over something like this, they have no business being together, thinking long term.

Handcrafted by Rolly - ain't it cool!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-10-05, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
I agree with other sentiments that the couples who broke up over the show weren't likely to stick together in the long run anyway.

P.S. Flo & Zach weren't a couple at the time of TAR3. They were just friends.

Reality shows that don't/didn't bite: Lost, The Amazing Race, Beg Borrow & Deal, The Wild Rules, I Wanna Date a Race Car Driver, American Dream Derby (pending)
Reality shows that bit but I watched anyway: Love Cruise, The Bachelor(ette), Joe Millionaire, Married By America

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-10-05, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
TAR also brought some couples together, at least for a while:

Flo & Drew
Tara & Alex
Brennan & Emily

A couple of breakups were mercy-killings: Lenny and Karen, Russell and Cindy. Other than the Reichen and Chip situation, I can't think of any actual marriages that were broken up.

If they go through with a reunion show, it would be interesting to see if some of the couples lasted. I don't think any of the above did, but what happened to the relationships of:

The Virgins
Frank and Margherita

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-10-05, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
Not only do I agree with the previous posters, I would also like to point out where TAR has been a source of positive affects with relationships.

As far as I can remember, not one single parent/child team has gone away from this game without the parent's view of thier child's adultness undergoing a major upgrade.

Most of the children of such teams have also gain more respect of thier parents - none that I know of expressed that they lowered thier respect in any way.

More than one team has had thier eyes openned to countries that they had before believed bad things about.

Every couple that has not gone down in flames, seems to come out of the race as stronger than when they entered it.

Without the really toxic couples, TAR seems to do more good than bad to me.

Earl Colby Pottinger

I would love to take my girlfriend on TAR with me, I am sure we could not win - but it would more than anything expose the core of our relationship.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-05, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
I have a different take on it. Mr. Spidey and I decided long ago that this was not a game for us. We are horrible travelers. I am impatient and he gets lost, a lot.

So, for us it's a matter of knowing our limitations. In the same way we know we could never run a business together.

We live fabulously intertwined, but far from identical, lives and taht suits us just fine.

However, if I ever did want to make him leave me, TAR is the first place I'd look.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-05, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
So, for us it's a matter of knowing our limitations. In the same way we know we could never run a business together.

You bring up an excellent point that I didn't really get across the way I would have liked.

Successful couples don't do everything together. But they understand where to draw lines and how to handle those things that they really aren't suited to do together. As you've pointed out, there are some couples that should not try to enter this sort of competition together. I know quite a few couples who would say, "I love you honey, but we should pass on this."

How would Mr. B and I do? We're exceptionally travel-compatible, so we'd do just fine on the travel side of things. And even though we yell a bit in times of stress, we never say anything that would cause a long-term problem.

And since he can drive stick shift, he'll ask for directions, and we're both good at reading maps, we'd probably kick some serious butt.

You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-05, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
You know, it's the same thing for Pene and I... we're VERY compatible when it comes to travelling and she can drive a mean stick shift (ok let's not go there), but she's not really an 'adventurous' sort, so she wouldn't fit in well with some of the challenges going on, plus she'd rather take it easy and take in all the sights than running pell-mell through the towns and airports.

On the other hand, my brother and I would make for a major kick-##### team. We'd brawl a little bit on each other, but he knows a few languages (he lived in Czechoslovakia for a few years and travelled around the world on a semester-at-sea program) and he has a real knack for knowing how to deal with people in other countries, while I know the airline systems and maps almost inside-out. Got 100% on the African geography expert quiz that Pooh posted on the geography thread over on OT last week.

Scratch and sniff

TARJUNKIE999 479 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-10-05, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TARJUNKIE999 Click to send private message to TARJUNKIE999 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-05 AT 06:31 PM (EST)

As my local state lottery keeps reminding me, "You can't win if you don't play!"

Life is not a spectator sport, and neither is a reality TV show. If you want the $1M dollars, you have to dance for the puppetmaster. A famous quote says, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation". These racers choose to go for the brass ring, and LIVE!

Life is what you make it!

...he he, what a load of hooey!"

Ruthless 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-11-05, 05:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ruthless Click to send private message to Ruthless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
I would love to do this race, so would Mr Ruthless, however, not with me. Mr Ruthless would be a bit like Gus, wanting to take our time. However, I would want to rush off immediately, without taking the time to read the clue properly.

Would we break up if we did the race? Highly unlikely, we've been married for so long now,and had far worse challenges during all that time than we would get in the race.

We've had little TAR moments over the years, our most famous one being the time we got lost in a not very good part of Sydney. We were tired and cranky, and had no idea where we were. We had a street directory, and kept snatching it from each other trying to find where we were. Every street we wanted to go down was a one way street the wrong way. One we thought would get us to where we wanted to go ended in a set of stairs. It took us about half an hour to find our way out. Funny now, but boy did we scream at each other a lot before we did.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-05, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: TAR, is it really worth it !?!?"
The only area in which DW and I wouldn't do well is that neither of us are in good physical shape. And I probably would have a few moments of stress that would be good for the cameras because I tend to vocalize EVERYthing. Fortunately, DW keeps me grounded (it's hard to get her upset), and I'd keep her going (in a non-Jonathan way).

I'm a good navigator, having read maps from an early age. She'd be the stickshift driver. I don't think we'd be the Ugly Americans, but we would have to learn how to be just assertive enough with cabbies. I do speak some French.

We might have our moments of conflict and disagreement, but I'm sure they'd blow over. We don't hold grudges.

If you want the second coming of Avi and Joe, send me with my youngest brother (we're 14 years apart). We'd come in dead last, but we'd sure enjoy every minute of that first leg!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •