The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tie Breaker from EW"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

CoryellWalsh 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-04-01, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CoryellWalsh Click to send private message to CoryellWalsh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tie Breaker from EW"
After the last episode in the first Survivor, Entertainment Weekly had a special article about what happened behind the scenes. One of the topics discussed was, "What would have happened if Kelly hadn't changed her vote for Sue?" One of the producers said that a challenge would have taken place between Rich and Sue. I do not have a copy of the article since it was from a long time ago. I was just wondering if someone else had read it.

To me, it makes sense that the tie-breaker pre-merger should be based on votes from previous tribal councils, since the nature of that game pre-merger is based on team competition and survivor is based on your status with your own tribe.

During the merge, everything is based on individual challenges and as they say, "it is everyone for themselves". It makes sense that the tie-breaker will be a challenge since during the merge, the nature of the game is self-survival and you are in charge of your own survival.

I hope someone out there read the same article I did.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Tie Breaker from EW Krautboy 03-04-01 1
 Here's the Article Josiehart 03-04-01 2
   RE: Here's the Article Minstrel 03-04-01 6
 RE: Tie Breaker from EW MDSkinner 03-04-01 3
   RE: Tie Breaker from EW Krautboy 03-04-01 4
 RE: Tie Breaker from EW Loree 03-04-01 5
   Clean Slate Krautboy 03-04-01 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-04-01, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Tie Breaker from EW"
Your right. MB may change the tie breaker rules post merger because Kucha got to a 5-5 tie by skipping a TC and as a result the Kucha members were spared a round of votes against themselves, which in turn puts them at an advantage. Had they had to vote off a member under other circumstances some of the remaining members could have had more votes. MB kind of makes up the rules as he goes anyway, what's to say he won't do it with the tie breaker?

Josiehart 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-04-01, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Josiehart Click to send private message to Josiehart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Here's the Article"
Copyright 2000 Time Inc.
Entertainment Weekly

September 8, 2000

SECTION: BEHIND THE SCENES; Pg. 27

LENGTH: 380 words

HEADLINE: Burning Questions

BYLINE: David Hochman

BODY:
Those island spirits that Survivor host Jeff Probst loved to invoke don't give up their tropical secrets easily, which is why we set out to uncover some of the remaining mysteries from the show's final episode. --David Hochman

How much coaching did Rudy, Kelly, and Rich receive before their bare-footed fire walk?

"I asked them all to imagine the person they'd like to be after winning the show," says Survivor consultant Bill Bastian, president of Sparks Development, a San Francisco-area company that trains corporate executives to walk on hot coals as an empowerment ritual. During a short training/inspiration session, Bastian told the Survivors to "let go of something from your past and you'll be able to make it across." Rudy's response: "I'm 72 years old. I'm not letting go of nothing."

During the finale's first Tribal Council, both Rudy and Sue received two votes apiece. What would have happened if Kelly hadn't switched her vote and kicked Sue off the island?

"We would have had do a physical challenge to break a tie," says co-executive producer Craig Piligian. "Of course, I can't tell you what it would have been because we might use it again."

Was there anything cut from Susan's delightful anti-Kelly rant? While her overall speech was trimmed down, "we definitely didn't cut anything from ," says Piligian. "How could we?"

What did Colleen mean on Survivor: The Reunion when she said, "Nothing happened . I was covering for another relationship going on"?

"Colleen likes to say things with a note of sarcasm," says a CBS source. "There really weren't any relationships between any of the contestants--including Greg and Colleen." Though in interviews since the island, Rudy has said Jenna and a cameraman made an alliance off-island. "It's nothing we're aware of," says a CBS spokesman.

What was Sean talking about in his Tribal Council statement when he said Rich's "FNF idea--the Fat Naked Fag idea--was extraordinarily funny"?

"Rich talked about producing a naked calendar after he was done with the show," says a CBS source who was on the island. "Sean just thought it was a good idea."

Was that real money in that "million-dollar" treasure chest?

Uh, no.

Minstrel 422 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-04-01, 07:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Minstrel Click to send private message to Minstrel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Here's the Article"
Yes, I remember this article. There are two things that are also true. MB asked the survivors for input on improving the show and he got it from some of them. Exactly what I (we) don't know. Also, CBS' web site describes tie breaking relative to Mitch but I read it as "any time" this situation occurs.

CBS could easily have changed the rules for a better game before the game started, but this being a game show, there are laws about game shows and what is (or isn't) fair. Stacey's law suit is attempting to challenge CBS under those laws. (Not that I believe she will win or lose). Game rules can not be changed unless there is a valid reason and then, only fairly. However, CBS can interpret it's rules (and laws for game shows) to render what is hopefully a fair solution.

We already know Survivor rules are not completely revieled on CBS' web site. But it's all we have to go by. Right now it appears that all recorded votes carry over to the end of the show. But, other interpretations by CBS could surface in given situations.

IMO, Kucha and Ogakor do not know the carry over votes of the other tribe. Perhaps they will tell each other once they merge, but I don't think CBS "interferes" by telling them. I also do not think "unread" tribal council votes are revealed to the tribe by CBS. The strongest evidence of this goes back to S1 (I know, S1), when Richard was saying he didn't always know who voted for him and unread votes had to be figured out by the tribe. Maybe that means disscussion among the tribe and maybe not. (The alliance would likely discuss theories IMO).

However, all this reference to S1 does not mean those survivors knew the votes any more than the S2 survivors may. I think it is part of the game -- "outwit."

Many products marketed go through improvements and television is certainly no different. Producers want hit shows and to maintain such status. They are always looking for ways to gain an edge on the competition. Survivor is no different. They also know you don't fix something that's not broken. This includes the rules of the game. So other than ratings, how do viewers impact changes such as rules?

MDSkinner 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-04-01, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MDSkinner Click to send private message to MDSkinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Tie Breaker from EW"
This could change things considerably for the next episode(and only this opne in my opinion). For the Kucha tribe, it would not make sense to go after Colby if this holds true, simply because it is very likely that in a 1-1 competition he would likely win. So if this is true and the Survivors are aware of this then it would make sense for Kucha to go after someone like Amber or Tina whose vote will matter in this TC, but whose Physical ability is certainly lacking, and who if one of their members was forced to go 1-1 against, they would have a good shot of winning. On the other side of things, if Oga can get it together and vote as a unit and they are aware of this rule, they would also see that the key here is to get the other tribes member voted off and the way to do that is to vote off one of their weak ones first in case of the double tie. That would leave someone like Rodger or Liz somewhat vulnerable. All of this assumes that both tribes are aware of the rule, and that both tribes vote as a unit for a 5-5 vote this week. If this were true and both tribes are thinking strategically, we could see Rodger against Tina in a competition for who gets voted off, since the losing person/tribe would be down 5-4 and would never have a chance of going anywhere but out one at a time.

This could really mix things up if the circumstances are all met.

03-04-01, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Tie Breaker from EW"
The tie-breaker rule (whatever it is) is the key to the next episode. If the tribe members know the rules in advance it will influence their decisions differnetly that if they don't.

We have four days to figure out what the immunity challenge is (water platform?), who is most likely to win it based on the requirements (balance, strength, cunning, speed) and who the alliances target based on the unknown tie-breaker rules (and whether MB shares them with the tribes at merger or keeps them in his back pocket so as not to lose control of the game)...we have our work cut out for us...

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-04-01, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Tie Breaker from EW"
The tie-breaking challenge may not be physical. It could be mental. Maybe asking questions about the other tribemates?

03-04-01, 08:51 PM (EST)
7. "Clean Slate"
This week two tribes will merge to form one new tribe. They will move to a new location, they will have a new tribe color and name. Given the untidy conclusion last week and no votes at TC, doesn't it make sense that MB will wipe the slate clean of previous votes and start a new post-merge tally to be used for IIC's? It seems like a strong possibility to me. Then what is the 5-5 tie-breaker? It couldn't be a physical challenge because it's dark at tribal council and needs to be resolved there, doesn't it? Could they play a game...rock,paper,scissors? Who knows?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •