The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Probst Quote"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-04-11, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Probst Quote"
Here's where he said it (on video)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/13/survivor-south-pacific-jeff-probst-redemption-island/

"Yeah, we're going to make one big change to Redemption Island, we're only having two-person duels. We're not having multi-person duels. That was part of the experiment, we wanted to see how many people we could keep in the game til the end, and that's why we let more people live out there. Be we felt it's like too many people and now we've got half the group still in it at the end. So it will only be a one-on-one situation, loser's out, winner stays. ..."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Probst Quote SquidProQuo 11-04-11 1
 RE: Probst Quote PepeLePew13 11-04-11 2
   RE: Probst Quote SquidProQuo 11-04-11 3
   RE: Probst Quote Outfrontgirl 11-05-11 4
 RE: Probst Quote tribephyl 11-05-11 5
   RE: Probst Quote Outfrontgirl 11-05-11 6
       RE: Probst Quote dabo 11-05-11 10
   RE: Probst Quote dabo 11-05-11 7
       RE: Probst Quote Corvis 11-05-11 8
           RE: Probst Quote dabo 11-05-11 9
       RE: Probst Quote tribephyl 11-11-11 21
 RE: Probst Quote Outfrontgirl 11-05-11 11
   RE: Probst Quote dabo 11-05-11 12
       RE: Probst Quote Outfrontgirl 11-06-11 13
 Another Probst Quote Georjanna 11-10-11 14
   RE: Another Probst Quote Krautboy 11-11-11 18
   RE: Another Probst Quote tribephyl 11-11-11 19
       RE: Another Probst Quote dabo 11-11-11 20
           RE: Another Probst Quote tribephyl 11-11-11 22
               RE: Another Probst Quote dabo 11-11-11 23
 RE: Probst Quote SquidProQuo 11-10-11 15
   RE: Probst Quote PepeLePew13 11-10-11 16
       RE: Probst Quote dabo 11-11-11 17
   RE: Probst Quote Outfrontgirl 11-11-11 24
       RE: Probst Quote Round Robin 11-12-11 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-04-11, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Probst Quote"
Interesting. Thanks, Dabo. So does this mean that there will be a duel this next week between Keith and the next person voted off? I guess they'd have time if they hurry.

I had been assuming there was a 3-person duel the following week (after this week's double boot). I remembered Jeff saying something about this, but I had originally interpreted it as losers go home vs. only the bottom person goes home....but this clearly states only 1:1 duels.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-11, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Probst Quote"
Thanks for the confirmation/clarification, Dabs.

I just checked TDT's calendar and it appears that the first IC and TC would take place the very next day (Day 22) after Keith's boot (Day 21), then the second IC and TC will take place on Day 24, two days later. There are question marks in place and there's no mention of a duel on there.

So if TDT's calendar is correct, then it'd make sense for the duel to take place on Day 23 to eliminate the loser of Keith and Day 22's boot.

11-04-11, 11:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Probst Quote"
Hadn't seen TDT's calendar, so thanks.

That sure would be a jam-packed episode with 2 ICs/TCs and a duel! (Unless the 2nd IC is at TC.) Part of why I'm wondering is because of Jeff's tease that the first 10 min. is about Cochran getting dumped on...but maybe I'm taking Jeff's hype too literally. I can see them rushing through someone like's Whitney's boot....but would think they'd milk Ozzy's boot or time at RI for all it's worth.

I suppose another option is no RI duel this week, then 2 separate 1:1 duels the following week....although not sure how that would work either.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

11-05-11, 01:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Probst Quote"
TDT's calendar is only his best guesstimate based on what he has to go on with length of season, number of castaways, start date, end dates, precedent of last season.

Last season he did not believe there would be truels until it happened, and then he changed it up.

TDT does GREAT calendar, but it is not based on special sourced info AFAIK.

The current teaser says Double Eviction rather than Two Tribal Councils, so I expect it is all one evening.

I don't know how they will handle the duel, but let's take a look at the numbers:

12 people made merge, and there will be 5 in the "in camp" game as of Ep 14.
There are 12 in the game as of Ep 9. Assuming no duel, Eps 10-14, 5 episodes, eliminate 7 people from the game. That means there have to be two episodes where 2 people lose at RI.

One should be Ep 10 -- 2 of 3 (Keith and the 2 Ep 9 boots) go to Ponderosa.
Ep 11 -- one goes
Ep 12 -- one goes
Ep 13 -- one goes, double tribal. 2 voted out.
Ep 14 -- 3 way, 2 are out.

Well, here's an idea of how to avoid a truel: next time they have a duel at RI, have Keith battle the first boot, and have back to back duels where the victor immediately battles the second evictee from Ep 9.

Or they have a duel in Ep 9 by having an early TC, but that's hard for me to imagine.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

11-05-11, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Probst Quote"
Well that's just irritating.
Sadly all I can do is swear (for whatever that's worth) that JP said before the season started (yes, just like this one) that he could only promise 2 things regarding RI...
1. that redemption island would return
2. that duels (or truels) would end with 1 person winning and staying. The other(s) leaving. (To prevent the "You don't have to win, you just can't lose" challenge strategy. The one that kept Matt in longer than he should have.)

I don't remember there being a video attached to it but...
boy now I'm really questioning things.

Someone, please? Help me off this tree limb!?
Not that I wouldn't expect JP to give multiple answers to the same question but one leads us down a path to the necessity of an RIDuel in Ep 9. While the other allows for one truel in ep 10.

What's everyone's thoughts?
To RI or not?
With 2 ICs and 2 TCs is there really time to have a duel?
Or is the "video stated" rule unbreakable?

11-05-11, 02:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Probst Quote"
tribe, you are not wrong, he did promise that only one person would stay.
But then on another occasion he said duels would be two people, I guess.

Above I spec'd that there would be back to back elimination duels. After I thought of that I checked out Sucks and saw a post from Mariano Man who says a source has told him that in Ep 10 there will indeed be back to back duels.

Ep 9:
no duel
IC
TC
IC at TC
TC second vote

3 players now at RI

Ep 10:
Keith and first Ep 9 bootee duel.
Winner duels second Ep 9 bootee.
Two players go to jury in one episode.
One player remains on RI to face the Ep 10 voted off in Ep 11.

11-05-11, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Probst Quote"
LAST EDITED ON 11-05-11 AT 12:05 PM (EST)

Ah, found it! Hate wading through pages and pages at Sucks. Anyway, spoiler link, don't go if you don't want to, but MM is hoping MF will confirm -- (has MF learned his lesson about not mixing fiction with spoiling?) -- and If this info is wrong then I no longer trust that my source is telling me the truth.

http://survivorsucks.com/topic/88140/E9-Title-Cut-Throat?page=3

So, if this is correct, hehehe, they found not just another way for RI to mess up the game, they found a way to mess up RI itself!

11-05-11, 09:49 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Probst Quote"
I don't put it past Jeff to lie. As I said in the first voting thread this season, he does lie when it suits his purpose, I just see no reason why he would lie about this. Playing the video for myself before posting the link, he leaves no room for fudge, he says straight out only two-person duels, no multi-person duels.

So, either there is a duel every time there are two people on RI, reducing the population of RI to one, or they have back to back duels when there are more than two people on RI, reducing the population of RI to one. Back to back duels would be unfair to the person having to perform in both of them. Not that production would care, but the average viewers might react very negatively to that unfairness.

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-05-11, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Probst Quote"
I don't think it would be unfair to have three people on RI and do the duels in the order they were voted out. That's the same as if the two weren't voted off the same day.

So Keith vs. First Bootee

Winner of that duel vs. Second Bootee

I suppose if the first one was a really physical challenge, that wouldn't be as fair for the winner of the first duel. Hopefully, they won't do that.

11-05-11, 10:17 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Probst Quote"
If they have back to back duels and the winner of the first duel then loses the second duel, everyone on the planet can call the foul. I just think it is a bad idea that could turn a lot of people off, and the next week "Up All Night" gets a big bump in the Neilsons.

11-11-11, 02:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Probst Quote"
I don't put it past Jeff to lie.
How true this is.
And I may be a late bloomer but boy am I disappointed in JP right now.
I almost want to do another SOTS, just to rag on JP.

Nah, I already have things to line the birdcage with.

11-05-11, 08:18 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Probst Quote"
LAST EDITED ON 11-05-11 AT 08:23 PM (EST)

I only now saw the complete quote.

"while the Redemption Island twist is back, there will be one major change to it, with the elimination of group duels — meaning each competition will truly be a win-or-go-home situation (as opposed to last season, in which players often simply did not have to come in last to stay alive). “We’re not having multi-person duels,” says Probst. “That was part of the experiment . We wanted to see how many people we could keep in the game until the end. And that’s why we let more people live out there. But we felt like it’s too many people and now we’ve got half the group still in it at the end. So it will only be a one-on-one situation. Loser’s out, winner stays. Otherwise, we’re playing it the same way.”

I think that the length of the discussion plus the fact it was part of an EW interview is significant. He says it too clearly and definitively for it to be a fib, and he says it as part of the new season reveal after filming was complete.

What he does NOT say is that there will never be more that two people on Redemption. He says that that having four people left on RI in the Finale was too much.

We know from the number of players left that there WILL be three people on RI at least once or twice. Thus there is no alternative to the idea of two one-on-one duels in an episode.

They don't have enough segments to go to RI twice, plus if you remember the Call Sheets, taking tribes to RI involves a significant allocation of crew resources. It is simply not cost-effective to go there twice, so they are bound to do back to back duels in two episodes (unless they have a quit or a medivac).

Jeff says they had "half the group still in it at the end." There were 8 still in it in the S22 finale, but we know there won't be 4 left in the Finale. He must mean there will be half the RI group still in it, by the End he should mean the Finale duel where the RI returnee is decided.

Half of 4 = 2 and there should be only two on RI in the Finale. That should mean that the other back to back will happen by Ep 13. It makes sense that they wouldn't be able to fit two duels into the Finale.

TDT has the Family Visit in Ep 12, and that may very well relate to dates that loved ones were gone, I don't know.

The problem with having the last back to back in Ep 13 is that it puts a double eviction into Ep 12, Family visit, which crowds that episode.

The only way that the FV won't have either a double eviction or a back to back duel is if Ep 10 also has a double eviction. Then the back to back duel is Ep 11, which opens up the penultimate episode for Loved Ones cryfest. Double evictions twice in a row? That sure is a Fast Forward Pagonging.

On the plus side for production, that would reduce the number of family members they need to fly out by at least one, maybe two.

btw, this is not spoiling, but I think it is sad for the host culture that this season could be on any island in the tropics or subtropics. With no rewards, there is no cultural feel to it at all. That used to be a big consideration with getting the approval of the hosts. It seems that now the host's stake is all about selling the hotel rooms and the catering for the crew for three months.

11-05-11, 08:43 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Probst Quote"
I totally agree about this season missing the cultural feel, and hopefully this will be corrected next season. Even though they've filmed there before, Western Samoa is still recovering from an earthquake/tsunami, so at least they are helping pump up the local economy.

You make a good point about having only so many segments. The next episode seems set up for a lot of drama but there would have been room for two days, an IC and TC each day. Squeezing in a duel inbetween, maybe if they cut out some of the country girl screaming and cussing.

We may be looking at a two-day cycle or a one-day cycle, all the drama loaded up front, then IC and boot discussion, TC, then "surprise" IC and immediate TC. Back to back duels at the start of the next episode, again squeezing a lot into one segment, but then the rest of the episode can follow a regular one-boot pattern. Somehow they have to squeeze the next double-boot into an episode that starts with at least one duel. This becomes Reader's Digest Survivor at some point, it seems unavoidable.

Are they insane? Well, yes, obviously.

(Anyway, it shouldn't be any different for the voting thread whether it is back to back two-person duels or a truel if only one winner remains on RI. I just need to know for certain for this week's VT whether there will or won't be a duel this week.)

11-06-11, 00:15 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Probst Quote"
Maxx says no duel for sure.
He also says 2 TC's and 2 IC's.
He was wrong about no second vote last week though.

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-10-11, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Another Probst Quote"
This from the latest Q & A between Dalton Ross and Jeff:

Dalton: As we head to the tease for next week, you told me when filming began that there would be no group duels this season, yet by my math we have three dudes hanging out on Redemption Island. What gives?

Jeff: Yes, I did say that and I was trying to find a simple way to say that generally speaking duels will only be one on one. I think there are two times where we have double eliminations and have to have a 3 person duel. But only the winner stays. The two losers are out. My bad. Just seemed more complicated to explain it the way I just did.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-11-11, 00:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Another Probst Quote"
Thanks Georgianna: Two duels always seemed unnecessarily complicated to me, so I'm glad this is finally resolved.

Krautboy

11-11-11, 02:33 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Another Probst Quote"
Tirade to JP:

I fricken' knew it!
Oy! Jeffykins!
I am so angry with you right now.
I'm figuring out that my previous attempt at trying to speak on behalf of you was ACTUAL and REAL. Yet, you continued to basically lie.
Not the first time I've predicted future events happening but grrr... I am so mad at you right now.
I knew it!
In short and in digestable form; The truth first always works better than having to back-pedal later. Figure it out, Probst.
Am I the fool for still loving you? Or should I just take your job?!
Either way, you're sleeping in the boobyhatch tonight.

11-11-11, 02:44 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Another Probst Quote"
LOL!

The weird thing, there was really absolutely no reason for the lie, none whatsoever. He can obfuscate as much as he wants that he whatever, got confused or something, but at the end of the day it was a really stupid lie that served no purpose.

11-11-11, 04:49 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Another Probst Quote"
Letter to JP#2:
see, now I'm even MORE depressed.
a useless lie, JP. WHY?
Does our LVOE serve no purpose?
Waaa... no one talk to me for at least 12 hours.
I don't wanna beak-up or anything but... jeezeycreezy.
This was just blatant.

11-11-11, 11:40 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Another Probst Quote"
And to think, I nearly asked earlier this week that this thread be locked up thinking it had served its purpose. Glad I didn't, now it has matured into a respectable pile-on Jiffy.

11-10-11, 06:37 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Probst Quote"
Jeff sets the record straight on this RI duel issue in his EW Q&A today -- there WILL be a few instances of 3-way duels, including this coming week with Keith, Ozzy and Jim. So I guess this is a lesson once again not to take Jeff too literally.

EW: As we head to the tease for next week, you told me when filming began that there would be no group duels this season, yet by my math we have three dudes hanging out on Redemption Island. What gives?

Jeff: Yes, I did say that and I was trying to find a simple way to say that generally speaking duels will only be one on one. I think there are two times where we have double eliminations and have to have a 3 person duel. But only the winner stays. The two losers are out. My bad. Just seemed more complicated to explain it the way I just did.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

11-10-11, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Probst Quote"
Idiot. It's not that complicated, Jiffy. Either it's "we're only having two-person duels. We're not having multi-person duels" or "we're having a 3-person duel". What's so difficult about that?

11-11-11, 00:11 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Probst Quote"
Agree. It's not rocket surgery. Instead of sending only the last place loser to the jury, this time you have to win to stay on Redemption, there's no coasting, no finishing second and staying in it.

11-11-11, 06:14 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Probst Quote"
Probst, you liar and obfuscator, you disgust me! :

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-12-11, 04:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Probst Quote"
LAST EDITED ON 11-12-11 AT 04:55 AM (EST)

JiffyProbe thinks we're all stupid. That's the bottom line. He thinks we're too damn stupid to understand a simple concept. Eff him!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •