The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

RebelMale 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-23-05, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RebelMale Click to send private message to RebelMale Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
What would be the drawback of that? I think it'd be interesting to see a guy go through some of these exercises. Is there a reason this show is JUST for women?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... OklaBlue 12-23-05 1
   RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... dopeydwarf 12-23-05 2
   RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... ScorpioRising 12-23-05 4
 RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... susang 12-23-05 3
 RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... Ziggy 12-23-05 5
   RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... OklaBlue 12-23-05 6
       RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... Astralynn 12-23-05 7
   RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... Cygnus X1 12-24-05 8
       RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... Twinkles 12-24-05 9
           RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... Dear Debby 12-24-05 10
               RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... faithnj 12-26-05 11
                   RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... OklaBlue 12-26-05 12
                       RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... Sues 12-26-05 13
                       Another problem Cygnus X1 12-27-05 14
 RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO... OklaBlue 12-29-05 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-23-05, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-23-05 AT 01:58 PM (EST)

Lisa
Christina

(edited...I spelled Christina wrong)

dopeydwarf 185 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-23-05, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dopeydwarf Click to send private message to dopeydwarf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"

OKLA, that was beautiful!!!

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

ScorpioRising 92 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-23-05, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ScorpioRising Click to send private message to ScorpioRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
>Lisa
>Christine

Ditto, Lisa and Christine. Who knows what’s happening with them and the filming crew??????

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-23-05, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
Your point is valid. Men as housemates would interest me. How would they "open up"? How would they approach the exercises (compared to the women?). Gender differences are fascinating.

Ziggy 79 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-05, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ziggy Click to send private message to Ziggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I'm guessing that there is not a men's "Starting Over" because there is no market for that type of show. I don't think very many men would tune in to a show like that.

I do think it's a good idea though. Lord knows there are so many men that could use the help. I just don't think men would get into that "soap opera-drama" type program.

12-23-05, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus...
Men do not express themselves, are not into the "feelings" or emotions in the same expressive manner as women are, they talk sports all the time. Get two men together and sports comes up. They are emotionally different, and most don't sit around not functioning. They work, they don't think about why they are not happy with life. They are happy as long as there are sports. They are not going to sit in a group and cry like women so readily do.
Maybe they are feeling more fulfilled than women. Maybe they are happier, who knows? They don't start over, they just keep going, God bless 'em!

Astralynn 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-23-05, 06:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Astralynn Click to send private message to Astralynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I think if they were to have men in the SO house, it would have to be men only. There is a dynamic when you mix men and women that I don't think would be good for the whole premise of SO. I would probably watch a SO type show for men. If nothing else, maybe I would figure a little more about how my guys think. But putting men in with women with the highly emotional work they would need to do would be a disaster.

I do have to wonder how men would put up with the crap that the LCs have been dishing out this season. I know that I wouldn't be able to. I like the terms defined and the rules right out front. I think many men would feel the same. I don't think that men would tolerate the current SO, and things would have to change drastically if they worked with men.

Just curious, how many women would feel that they could be open and honest and 'authentic' if there was a man present? I know that due to events in my past, I would not be able to be 'there' because I am frightened of men that I do not know well. I would not be able to deal with the fear that the presence of a strange man would cause. Between women like me (afraid) and those like Lisa who flirt shamelessly with anything that has testosterone, it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-24-05, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I'm guessing that there is not a men's "Starting Over" because there is no market for that type of show. I don't think very many men would tune in to a show like that.

Me neither. And although it's not as true as it was, say, 20 years ago, the primary watchers of daytime TV are still women (I don't watch anything during the day on my days off).

I do think it's a good idea though. Lord knows there are so many men that could use the help. I just don't think men would get into that "soap opera-drama" type program.

A couple times (as I'm about to contradict myself ), I did see "JimPat Croce: Moving In". It seemed to be SO on a much smaller scale, and did often involve men. But not exclusively, nor a houseful.

Besides, there'd be massive fights over who got the remote

Sounds like a good board project: Script Season One of "Starting Comb-Over: The Men".

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-24-05, 05:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I think men would participate in the exercises and daytime audiences would watch the shows. I think the reason the SO house is designed for "women starting over" is because of the way women talk to each other when there is no structured activity. I think that's a planned part of the work that they do. Without it, they wouldn't progress. It's part of how they practice what's new and start to have a chance to "get" what they've been told isn't working.

Men might just go to their corners or beds or sit around and BS for most of the time between groups. Sure, I'm exaggerating and stereotyping wildly. But we've seen the women, fulfilling many a stereotype, they can't wait to chat about what just happened moments before, or to "call each other out" constantly, or talk about how well the others are sticking to their plans, who said what about whom, etc.

The all-womens house makes the SO plan look extra rosy, too. The women will use all the "we're here to support each other" stuff, all the hugging,crying, all the talk about being "present" or "authentic" and make the show look like glowing sunshine at the Waltons. You may not quite know what they mean, but since they get all dressed up on the last day and leave, it must be good. The tears are abundant; from the painful ones to the happy ones. I just don't see a houseful of men producing quite as many teary tv moments. We might not get as emotionally involved with them.

What would you have with men who are getting healthier? Other than fewer tears, you'd also have no makeup/dress-up to signify the bid graduation days, fewer hugs, and not a lot of squealing either during the unexpected high points (hopefully). I think it would just be drearier production value. Oh, but yeah, it would be healthy and helpful for men who need to change their lives. But it's Hollywood, and you have to keep your priorities straight.

But seriously, as far as I know, I thought Iyanla has had a special interest or commitment to helping women and girls. I don't know how much of the show is hers, but the concept of the show might simply be to help women and entirely designed for that purpose. Maybe if they did a show for men they would redesign it.

Dear Debby 64 desperate attention whore postings

12-24-05, 06:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dear%20Debby Click to send private message to Dear%20Debby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
IMO they should have a short MAN'S SO instead of the re runs.
This is what they need...NO TV'S in the SO house except on Sundays.
They could teach them to MULTI TASK, clean, cook and TEACH THEM TO LISTEN.
There is 5 times as many Lisa's that are male (free loading off parents) Teach them how to grow up.
Any married men on there should get TJ'S excercise with kids for a day.
I think some of the excercises sould be like community excercises where they HAVE to work together. Men have a hard time doing more than one thing at a time.
Example: When a man fixes something, we get the tools (because they can't find anything) we clear the area, we clean up the mess. I say let them do it all!

I just think it would be interesting for a couple of weeks.

faithnj 39 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-26-05, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail faithnj Click to send private message to faithnj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I think the closest we're going to see to a Men's SO is what we saw in the beginning of the season-- the Couple's SO. And I can't speak for everybody, but I don't think the men embraced the process in such a compelling manner as the women did/do. I dunno. What do you viewers feel the men took away from the couples SO???

Also-- Tyra Banks is often asked why there's no Men's ANTM. She gave a great answer-- "How many male top models can you name?" There are just certain arenas in life where men don't stand out as strongly, and the public is not as compeled to watch me do certain things as they are with women. After all-- women's basketball is popular, but not as popular as mens!

Faithnj

12-26-05, 09:45 PM (EST)
12. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
Getting back to the topic...the guys would not want to do the exercises...like dressing up and in public as a baby, etc., and they would have a different set of problems.
Then you would probably need to find new LCs, men, instead of Rhonda and Iyanla.
They might not like the two to a room set up.
And the mostly women viewers can relate to the women, but would they to the men, since the men's problems would be men's problems. Men and women are so different. If the viewers tune out, then the show goes down. That is probably the reason they focus on women.
I thought I also read somewhere that Rhonda wanted a show to focus on women. Of course, since she was going to be the LC.

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-26-05, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I think they should throw a few guys in and then have Rhonda hold a group meeting about how lingerie 'empowers' the women...like she did last year with the whole stripper thing. She could have Christina model and then have the women all 'perform' while the men critique....then hold a group meeting with the men as to how they 'judge' females...

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-27-05, 00:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Another problem"
And it's been alluded to in part already . . .

By and large, men are not only more tight-lipped about problems in their lives (the rooms of groups like Alcoholics Anonymous and such being an exception), but they're a lot more non-verbal in their communication with each other. Non-verbal communication doesn't make for good television.

12-29-05, 03:19 PM (EST)
15. "RE: So, Why can't guys be in the SO House?"
I just read a news report from last April on TV.com that says Rhonda while in Florida or somewhere at a conference, said that they were planning an all male SO house for either later this season or next.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •