The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Beebop123 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-23-05, 01:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Beebop123 Click to send private message to Beebop123 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
Is Iyanla a psychologist? She has a master's degree in spiritual psychology from the Universitiy of Santa Monica (USM), Center for the Study and Practice of Spiritual Psychology: http://www.gousm.edu.

On Tuesday Jill talked to a "spiritual psychologist" named Dr. Mary Hulnick. I was interested to find out what spiritual psychology was and Googled Dr. Hulnick's name and found that she and her husband are President and Vice-President of the University of Santa Monica which has a program devoted to spiritual psychology. Sounds a little hokey to me, but to each his own. Well, I saw Iyanla was a 2001 graduate and received a Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology from USM. Is there anyone here who knows the validity of such a degree? Is this a real psychology degree where one can actually practice psychology legally? Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I just have never heard of this type of program before.

Here are a few Iyanla/USM links:

As graduation speaker:
http://www.gousm.edu/newsletter/archival/graduation2002.html

As A 2001 Student of the Year:
http://www.gousm.edu/newsletter/archival/archiveprint/studentsoftheyear.html

Older article about her that mentions her persuing her degree. I didn't read much of it, but it looks like it has a bunch of interesting bits:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_9_30/ai_58398627

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... eire_heart74 12-23-05 1
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... OklaBlue 12-23-05 3
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... RebelMale 12-23-05 2
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... DancingMoonChild 12-23-05 4
       RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Destineeny 01-12-06 17
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... ScorpioRising 12-23-05 5
       RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... egsela 12-25-05 6
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... DedeV 12-29-05 10
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... OklaBlue 01-01-06 14
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... mysticwolf 01-23-06 20
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... maryellen 12-25-05 7
 Extreme New Age: Purplemartin 12-25-05 8
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Labyrinth 12-27-05 9
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Soupy 12-30-05 11
       RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... pmfmpls 01-01-06 12
           RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... flexy633 01-12-06 16
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Redbud 02-13-06 26
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... SOfan0221 01-01-06 13
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Destineeny 01-13-06 18
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... OklaBlue 01-12-06 15
 RE: Iyanla's newest interview OklaBlue 01-23-06 19
   RE: Iyanla's newest interview teacherst 01-23-06 21
       RE: Iyanla's newest interview pmfmpls 02-14-06 28
           RE: Iyanla's newest interview Baxtera 02-14-06 29
               RE: Iyanla's newest interview pmfmpls 02-15-06 31
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... OklaBlue 02-12-06 22
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... lovemydogdude 02-12-06 23
 RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... susan765 02-12-06 24
   RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... SOFANinGA 02-12-06 25
       RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Cinnamongirl30 02-13-06 27
           RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spi... Baxtera 02-14-06 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-23-05, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
No she is not. You have to have a PhD or a PsyD in psychology in order to be considered a "psychologist". I may only have a BA in psych but that much I know!

I looked at the site too. One interesting point I saw was that no where did it say it was an accredited school. Meaning that it's recognized as an actual college/uni. Not to say it's fake, it's just getting an MA from there isn't really acknowledge as a real one but other established schools or businesses.

I have never heard of "spiritual psychology" before this show. However seeing as according to the site, you can get your MA simply by going to school one weekend a month for about 9 months, it sounds a little to gimicky new age to me.

IV and people like her can't call themselves therapists. However, they can get around that by listing their services as life coach, advisor, spiritual guru whatnot.

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-05, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
LAST EDITED ON 12-31-05 AT 01:17 AM (EST)

Not a religious spirituality. Holistic viewpoint.

Iyanlya’s MA degree is from the University of Santa Monica. The person Jill spoke to and that person’s husband are presidents of it.

(INFO FROM THEIR WEBSITE) Founded in 1976, USM is a small, private graduate school offering Programs in Spiritual Psychology. USM is located in Santa Monica, California. Classes typically meet one weekend a month, October through June, and one week in the summer.

Cost is $16,000+ to $33,000+ for two to three year course. 10 sessions a year.

This program features a holistic “soul-centered education” that “recognizes spiritual reality and begins with the assumption that: We are not human beings who have a soul; we are souls having a human experience. This assumption evokes a radical paradigm shift which results in a psychological and educational process whose goal is to bring forth the beauty, wisdom, and compassion inherent in every human being.”

“At the University of Santa Monica, we embrace the spiritual dimension as essential to an authentic psychological inquiry. We recognize the fundamental spiritual reality and purpose of human existence and perceive Spiritual Psychology as the study and practice of the art and science of human evolution in consciousness.

This includes the discovery, activation, and cultivation of the healing relationship between the behavioral, mental, emotional, and soul levels of functioning, in service to the revelation of the True Self.

At USM, learning is evaluated in terms of actually demonstrating the skills and competencies of Spiritual Psychology. An unconditionally loving attitude is the ultimate competency.

The University of Santa Monica is for those desiring a more fully functioning life reflecting greater physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual integration, gained through:

Practical, relevant tools and skills for assimilating and integrating information through direct experience.

A learning orientation to all of life's experiences.

Applied psychological principles and practices in harmony with universal spiritual wisdom.

A mutually supportive learning environment conducive to mental and emotional healing, as well as personal and professional development.

An educational experience that fosters awareness and honoring of the True Self.”

This sounds a little too self centered and not social. Just a different way to make money.

RebelMale 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-23-05, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RebelMale Click to send private message to RebelMale Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
>>"IT IS A SMALL GESTURE. Before Iyanla Vanzant begins dining on her vegetable samosa at Manhattan's Bombay Palace restaurant, she places a few cucumbers and bits of bread on the small saucer beside her. "1 put this here for my wonderful ancestors," she says, "as a sign of thanksgiving."<<<

You've. Got. to. be. KIDDING.

DancingMoonChild 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-23-05, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DancingMoonChild Click to send private message to DancingMoonChild Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
>>>"IT IS A SMALL GESTURE. Before Iyanla Vanzant begins dining on her vegetable samosa at Manhattan's Bombay Palace restaurant, she places a few cucumbers and bits of bread on the small saucer beside her. "1 put this here for my wonderful ancestors," she says, "as a sign of thanksgiving."<<<
>
>You've. Got. to. be. KIDDING.

LOL.....my father-in-law (Catholic)leaves food on his plate after EVERY meal for the souls in purgatory.

And as far as the Psych degree(a real one).....My Psych degree (Marriage and Family Therapy), which I just started, is going to take me another 3 1/2 yrs for the Bachelors and 3 more for the Ed.S.(I only need 12 credit hrs towards my Masters to go directly into the Ed. S. program).

"I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it." Maya Angelou

Destineeny 7 desperate attention whore postings

01-12-06, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Destineeny Click to send private message to Destineeny Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
The whole "Life Coach" thing is a crock anyway. I am starting my Masters in Clinical Behavior soon (just graduated with a B.A. in Psych and another in Sociology) and what they are doing is interesting but it is not psychology. That's why I was so pleased when Dr. Stan came on board. He can help the women when a real issue comes up.
There are no state licenses for life coaches.. there are no accredited schools for life coaching. Really.. anyone can be a life coach. All you have to do is say you are.
I remember Iyanla saying in one episode (maybe to Allison) that "she couldn't be a card carrying life coach" (or something to that degree) if she allowed such-and-such to happen.. and I kept thinking.. you aren't a card carrying anything!
Regardless.. I enjoy the show and for the most part the coaches are doing a great job. They tell the women what they need to hear and they give them exercises that push them past their limit and tear them down to build them back up. I'm just glad there is a psychiatrist there to correct any mistakes these coaches might make

Ohh.. and good luck with your B.A. Psych degree.. if you ever need any homework help just ask!

Destinee

ScorpioRising 92 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-05, 12:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ScorpioRising Click to send private message to ScorpioRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
>>>"IT IS A SMALL GESTURE. Before Iyanla Vanzant begins dining on her vegetable samosa at Manhattan's Bombay Palace restaurant, she places a few cucumbers and bits of bread on the small saucer beside her. "1 put this here for my wonderful ancestors," she says, "as a sign of thanksgiving."<<<
>
>You've. Got. to. be. KIDDING.

DITTO!

egsela 1 desperate attention whore postings

12-25-05, 03:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail egsela Click to send private message to egsela Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
If this is the same Un. of Santa Monica I'm aware of, it was started by John-Roger who was one of the founder's of Insight Insight had 3 primary seminars, Insight I, Insight II and Insight III. A "select few" who were basically choosen went to Insight IV which meant moving to CA for 6-9 months to participate in their program. There was another name for what John-Roger called this 4th level of his program but I can't remember what that is right now....some folks who have worked with cults have put Insight and the Un. on the "cult" radar screen . Last I heard JR was ill and was not very active in the movement anymore. I participated in Insight in the 1980's and did get a lot of value out of the first two seminars--less so the 3rd one. Un. of SM was spookey to me and other Insight friends. I know a few people who went out there --they were never quite the same in terms of their connections w/others--but again this was many years ago and things could be very differt now. But the degree name sounds like the same kind of "high woo-woo" to me--lots of fluff but little stuff!!!

DedeV 155 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-29-05, 03:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DedeV Click to send private message to DedeV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
IV is a yoruba priestess which is closely related to Voo Doo which honors the ancestors. Also, I am not sure about all states, but you can be a councelor with a master's degree. The only difference is that you are not able to give meds. Neither IV or Rhonda do, so...

More about the religion. I have known people that leave things outside near a tree, at a crossroads, ect for the Lwas (sort of like saints) They leave coconut, cigarettes, rum for the main (for lack of a better word) lwa Papa Alegba. Very interesting stuff, it's nothing like we've all seen on TV or the movies.

01-01-06, 11:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
LAST EDITED ON 01-12-06 AT 10:15 PM (EST)

Here is some info and links you may want to look into if interested.

Iyanla Vanzant is a Yoruba priestess http://authors.aalbc.com/iyanla.htm

Vanzant has earned a B.S. degree from Medgar Evers College and a J.D. degree from Queens College Law School. She went on to become a practicing attorney, serving nearly four years as a public defender in Philadelphia.
http://www.innervisionsworldwide.com/asp/our_founder.asp

Inner Visions does not offer medical or psychological counseling.
Inner Visions is not a religious organization. We are a multi cultural, multi ethnic network of individuals who embrace various spiritual philosophies.
Her approach has earned her an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Medgar Evers College of the City University of New York.
www.startingovertv.com

Honorary doctor of divinity degree from the Theological Seminary in Atlanta, Georgia.
http://www.eomega.org/omega/faculty/viewProfile/a71edaf67245af7d35051ff29d36eae2

Iyanla Vanzant, a Yoruba priestess, offers brief and insightful pearls of wisdom that help to clear one's mind, and provide something positive on which to focus throughout the day.
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Vanzant,%20Iyanla

Until I learned more than a year later that Iyanla in Yoruba means "great mother" I had no idea of Ms. Vanzant's ethnicity. From an interview she gave to Essence magazine in 1996 we begin to get an insight into who this Brooklyn-born Yoruba princess is.
It is at this point that Ms. Vanzant appears to have responded to a long-felt call to give herself over to Yoruban culture as an alternative for dealing with life.
http://www.queenhyte.com/dobb/dobb_archives/dobb_98/june-98.htm

There are three altars on the premises. At a bedroom altar Vanzant does a daily meditation at 5:30 a.m. On it is an amethyst crystal and ashes from the altar of the Dalai Lama. Also found here are images of Ms. Vanzant's spiritual muses: Baba Muktananda, Babaji, Gurumayi Chidvilasananda, Vishnu, and Buddha.
On an altar in her book-lined office sit seven glasses of water and an image of the Black Madonna. It is at this altar that Ms. Vanzant consecrates her eyes, head, mouth and ears before sitting down at her computer to write.
Once a week, Vanzant visits a third ancestral altar downstairs in a room in the basement. This one has displayed on it old family photos and pictures of 21 legendary African-American women

She is a bright, highly spiritual, well educated self-ordained African-American Yoruba priestess.

=========
A Yoruba priestess and ordained minister, Iyanla was catapulted to fame when Oprah Winfrey chose one of her books, Yesterday, I Cried, (Simon & Schuster), as an Oprah Book Club selection.
http://www.whitefireweb.com/women_detail.php?woman_id=47

Yoruba have converted to Christianity and to a lesser extent Islam in large numbers since the 19th century.
Largest single ethnic group in Nigeria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba

The Yoruba claim that they have 401 deities; in truth, there are more than these.
http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/toc/people/Yoruba.html
==========

Master's in Spiritual Psychology
http://www.gousm.edu

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-23-06, 01:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
I think that's a cultural/age thing. Not entirely sure where I got it - (mom & GM's died while I was still young, GF's before birth), but I never eat everything. I always leave something on my plate as a "gift to the Gods" (no, I was not raised polytheistic - just a saying).

Not that this has helped any in my quest to lose some weight and get into shape.

Sigs by Bob, entirely accurate renditions of nature

maryellen 67 desperate attention whore postings

12-25-05, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail maryellen Click to send private message to maryellen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
Yes, well--back shall scratch back.

Purplemartin 6 desperate attention whore postings

12-25-05, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Purplemartin Click to send private message to Purplemartin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Extreme New Age:"
Seeking divinity within..Eastern mysticism. This helps me understand some of things going on the show, that I think are harmful.

Labyrinth 1248 desperate attention whore postings

12-27-05, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Labyrinth Click to send private message to Labyrinth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
Also the same university that Allison is now attending (see spoilers for details).

This is non-accredited degree to make people "feel good" and have some alphabet soup while they go do the talk circuit and sell themselves as Life Coaches or whatever other BS name they come up with.

BTW who is ready to sign up to have Allison as their life coach? This is the type of people this "university" turns out.

Soupy 57 desperate attention whore postings

12-30-05, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Soupy Click to send private message to Soupy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
>Also the same university that Allison
>is now attending (see spoilers
>for details).
>
>This is non-accredited degree to make
>people "feel good" and have
>some alphabet soup while they
>go do the talk circuit
>and sell themselves as Life
>Coaches or whatever other BS
>name they come up with.
>
>
>BTW who is ready to sign
>up to have Allison as
>their life coach? This is
>the type of people this
>"university" turns out.

Howdy Poster Buddy.....
This entire thread is most interesting. I now understand things much clearly now. ( light bulb on!) I noticed a religious overtone from previous seasons- as of late as well.( non-conventional style that is.) Hmmmmmm?
I agree with your assessment completely. This adresses many of my questions and I now see the missing link. (I have been reading between the lines- on the show.) Now it all seems clear to me.
Thanks to ALL for this thread.
PEACE~ for real...

pmfmpls 149 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-06, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
My 2 cents-
The school is NOT accredited, which means a lot if you want your degree to have some weight.

Someone with a Masters in COUNSELING psych, or some other therapy-based program is considered a psychologist, and can provide therepeutic services (if licensed by the state). A PhD or PsyD in a counseling field, of course, can do the same.

PhDs, PsyDs, MAs, MSWs, etc., in psych can/do NOT prescribe medications. ONLY an MD (medical school- not graduate school) can prescribe. So, PSYCHIATRISTS write RXs, NOT psychologists.

Anyone with a graduate degree in psychology is considered a psychologist (myself included) though there are hundreds of areas of study (development, education, social, cognitive, forensic, industrial/organizational, etc). We do other things, like teach, research, plan, write, etc.

Only psychologists with a degree in clinical or counseling psych provide therepeutic services. The rest of us just get asked to do it for free! Believe me, no one wants me providing therapy- I've had one semester of counseling psych many years ago, and I only got a "B."

Hope this helps!!

Remember- REAL SCIENCE IS BASED UPON EVIDENCE--NOT BELIEFS

flexy633 234 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-12-06, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flexy633 Click to send private message to flexy633 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
And what a lot of people don't realize is that when they are referred by their insurance company to a therapist, none of these people (at least on my HMO) are psychologists. They are licensed therapists with Master's degrees in counseling or psychology. In Illinois, you can become a Licensed Clinical Counselor with the Master's degree from an accredited school.

There are certain classes that the State requires in order for the school to be considered in their list. Otherwise, if you go to some other school that is not on their list, you have more paperwork and mumbo jumbo to go through before you can become licensed in Illinois.

So far, Life Coaches are not regulated by the state. I have a feeling that will change in the very near future and some education and degree will be necessary and you will have to pass the state licensing exam in order to practice as a Life Coach.

Redbud 573 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-13-06, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Redbud Click to send private message to Redbud Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
It all boils down to accreditation. Is that school 'accredited? I didn't think so. I can buy a PhD degree online - doesn't make me a doctor.

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-01-06, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
Here is what I know of Iyanla and I got this from reading her book, 'Yesterday I Cried'. She had a terrible life growing up. Her grandmother was cruel and beat her, scrubbed her with soap until her skin bled. Her father had custody and did not let her see her mother. Her father died, her grandmother died and she ended up living with friends or relatives.

A male aquaintace molested her. She got pregnant and at some point her baby was removed and placed in foster care where later he died.

She lived a horrible life. Pregnancies, a marriage to a man who continually beat her. She perservered and pulled herself up by her boot straps. She got her education and went to law school where she did get her degree and actually practiced law.

She wanted something better for her and her children and she fought to get it. She became a Yorba Priestess where her name was changed from Rhonda to Iyanla. She ended up marrying the love of her life (yes, she admitted having an affair with him when both were still married to others).

Iyanla has common sense. Yes she tells the ladies to 'cry out to the universe your need', but the bottom line is she has common sense. Common sense will never lead you wrong, it is that little voice in your gut and your heart that tries to tell you when you are veering off the right path. I really think Iyanla tries to get the women she councels to listen to that little voice. Unfortunately not everyone has common sense and Allison is a perfect example. Iyanla has tried everything with her and still they seem to be right back at the beginning of her problems.

While I do not agree with everything Iyanla does, I would feel honored to have an Iyanla in my life that I could sit down and discuss lifes blessings and setbacks. How cool would that be?

Peace, love and blessings to all in 2006.

Destineeny 7 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-06, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Destineeny Click to send private message to Destineeny Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
Ohh I don't doubt that Iyanla isn't an amazing woman who has a lot to offer.. but why is she making up degrees? It just makes her seem like a snake-oil salesman.

Destinee

01-12-06, 10:48 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
LAST EDITED ON 01-12-06 AT 10:11 PM (EST)

IV's only real degree is in Law. She was a lawyer. She has a couple Honorary Doctorates - those are just given out to speakers at commencement, etc. And her degree from USantaMonica which is not an accredited university.

She is trying to help women, no mistake.

01-23-06, 01:24 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Iyanla's newest interview"
LAST EDITED ON 01-23-06 AT 10:27 AM (EST)

There is an interesting article just released about IV. It gives a lot of her tragic youth and her spiritual background.
http://www.smartwomanonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=72

Her early background could explain why she does all these nasty dirty "exercises" for the HGs.

teacherst 54 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-06, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail teacherst Click to send private message to teacherst Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Iyanla's newest interview"
I don't think Iyanla is making up degrees! I think it doesn't matter to her weather its from an accredited university, rather what the program has to offer. & what she can get out of the experience you know. She's looking for ways of growth by which she can be more helpful to others. thier's alot of self-help classes and courses you can take that really help you break blockages.

02-14-06, 00:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Iyanla's newest interview"
I have to say it again-
It is REALLY important whether a university is accredited, or not.

Life coaching, or psychologists, or counselors/therapists should get their education at respected universities sanctioned by organizations with some kind of accountability and credentialing system.

Would you choose a surgeon who was educated at a non-accredited medical school?

Is your mental health less valuable than your physical health?

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-06, 08:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Iyanla's newest interview"
People should be up front about their qualifications. If you then choose to seek counsel from someone from Voodo U then so be it you've made an informed decision to put yourselves in their care knowing their background and qualifications. People do this all the time when they choose alternative healers, etc. However, they do it as informed consumers. When someone tells you they have a degree without telling you it isn't worth the paper it's printed on it leads to a false sense of trust that the program meets certain qualifications. If they inform you it isn't accredited you then at least are an informed consumer.

Quite frankly the only people I felt bad for were the guests of season 2. After seeing the show during season 1 and I could see why people would want to sign up for the show. However after watching IV yell to the Universe and act her high priestess self in Season 2 anyone who signed up for season 3 had to ask what they were getting in to.

02-15-06, 00:30 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Iyanla's newest interview"
VooDoo U!!! Love it!!!!

02-12-06, 00:08 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
First the Universe...then

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-12-06, 01:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
You're good..her decree should be 8inches thick to match her ego..

susan765 166 desperate attention whore postings

02-12-06, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail susan765 Click to send private message to susan765 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
All the feel good, Hand washing, and common sense will not help people with real psycholigical problems. That approach is great for the women of season 1 who just needed a little coaching to get them to a better place in their life. But many of the wopmen this season have had real problems and the whole mumbo jumbo hand washing, falling on the floor, calling to the universe, and wiping the slate clean won't fix deep seeded personality disorders. It might not be her fault because I don't know how the women get chosen for the show but I think she's way out of her depth.

SOFANinGA 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

02-12-06, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SOFANinGA Click to send private message to SOFANinGA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
LAST EDITED ON 02-12-06 AT 11:26 AM (EST)

Instead of putting Cucumbers & bread on a plate in back of her........just put them Cukes on the Eyes! Send the bread to the next table... Oh please?

Cinnamongirl30 75 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-06, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cinnamongirl30 Click to send private message to Cinnamongirl30 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
I don't give a crap what she does with her cukes this is reality t.v. and these life coaches can only and only are allowed to do so much. You wanna talk egos Miss Rhonda seems to have one the size of freakin China and come to think of it with all the attention they are getting I probably would have too. Anyway , look at the pathetic women they have had this season a bunch of boring losers with absolutely no house chemistry. It would make me throw my diplomas accredited or not out the window. They cannot be helped or just don't want it. Except poor T.J she took all that mumbo jumbo to heart poor thing LOL

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-06, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Iyanla's Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology"
The problem stems at the purpose of the show. Are the guest supposed to improve or are they supposed to entertain? Was IV helping Allison or making her more dependent? Could the shows hire professional certified people instead of Universe screamers for the same price?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •