The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How will the jury work"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

esquire 1095 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-11-11, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail esquire Click to send private message to esquire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How will the jury work"
In the past the members of the jury use what they see at TC to help determine who gets their vote for the million dollars. However, if you get a long stay at Redemption Island after the merge, you don't get to see what happens at TC. Do the guys at Redemption Island get to go TC?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-11-11 1
   RE: How will the jury work Outfrontgirl 04-11-11 2
       RE: How will the jury work michel 04-11-11 3
           RE: How will the jury work Corvis 04-11-11 4
               RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-11-11 5
                   RE: How will the jury work Outfrontgirl 04-12-11 6
                       RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-12-11 7
                           RE: How will the jury work Outfrontgirl 04-12-11 8
                               You're right dabo 04-12-11 9
                               RE: How will the jury work michel 04-12-11 10
                                   RE: How will the jury work SquidProQuo 04-12-11 11
                                       RE: How will the jury work Outfrontgirl 04-13-11 13
                                       RE: How will the jury work Brownroach 04-13-11 15
                                           RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-13-11 16
                                           RE: How will the jury work Brownroach 04-13-11 17
                                               RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-13-11 19
                                                   RE: How will the jury work Brownroach 04-13-11 20
                                                       RE: How will the jury work Corvis 04-13-11 21
                                                           RE: How will the jury work michel 04-13-11 22
                                                               RE: How will the jury work Corvis 04-13-11 23
                                                                   RE: How will the jury work Brownroach 04-14-11 25
                                                                       RE: How will the jury work SquidProQuo 04-14-11 27
                                                                           RE: How will the jury work Corvis 04-14-11 28
                                                                               RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-14-11 29
                                                           RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-14-11 24
                                                               RE: How will the jury work Brownroach 04-14-11 26
                                       RE: How will the jury work parathor 04-13-11 18
                                   RE: How will the jury work Outfrontgirl 04-13-11 12
                                       RE: How will the jury work dabo 04-13-11 14
 RE: How will the jury work Outfrontgirl 04-14-11 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-11-11, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How will the jury work"
I've been assuming all along that the occupants of Redemption Island would get to sit in on Tribals once it reaches the jury stage. Nominally, they could be left out and get all their info from incomng booties, but it would be more dramatic television to have them attending TC. If it is a choice between compelling TV and good game, obviously they'll just say "to hell with good game." But in this case it doesn't really seem like that is the choice, good game happens to coincide with compelling TV so they'll go for it and claim "see, this is fair, isn't this great!"

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-11, 07:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How will the jury work"
The thing is, no one is officially on the jury until losing duel and burning buff. Anyone on RI could theoretically still be in the F3, so they are not jury members. It would probably be wrong to allow people still in contention for the million to sit with the jury at TC.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-11, 07:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How will the jury work"
I certainly hope that they remain on RI because, as OFG pointed out, you mingle with the jury, you can start hustling votes and you could see how the alliances break down.

Anyway, there are enough jury discussions going on at Ponderosa that the jurors will be filed in.

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-11-11, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: How will the jury work"
I think they'll just sit in a separate place away from the jury and the Survivors still in the game.

04-11-11, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How will the jury work"
LAST EDITED ON 04-11-11 AT 11:43 PM (EST)

Yes, attending TC. There are no longer two tribes to gather information about for a return to the game at a merge, now it is the shifting dynamics of a merged tribe. Miserable as I believe this RI twist is, upsetting the status quo on re-entry is where the power exists. >vocoProbstian<Give it a chance.

Besides, everyone who loses a duel goes to the jury after a certain point, would you want jurists who have missed TCs (other than Pappy once)?

04-12-11, 07:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: How will the jury work"
I don't see what right they have to be at TC. They were voted out, so no right to be with the tribe. They're not jurors (yet), so no right to be on the jury side. They get information about the game from each person who is voted out. Those two (or three) exchange information that is probably as good or better than a TC.

Then when they do join the jury, they talk to the jurors.

The whole reason that jurors attend TC is that they know nothing of the game once they lose. That is not true of someone on RI, who does have news of the game, even interaction with spectators.

I don't know how they'll do it, but those are my thoughts on what's fair.

I'm already sick of this twist.

04-12-11, 10:14 AM (EST)
7. "RE: How will the jury work"
Well, we'll find out. The game has shifted from tribes (teams) to individual play, the fiction of one big happy tribe. I don't see how skipping Tribals and getting only biased one-sided information from incoming players would be any different for someone at Redemption Island than for someone on the jury.

04-12-11, 06:08 PM (EST)
8. "RE: How will the jury work"
What I'm saying is that every juror has some sort of continuous opportunity for information. While in the game at RI, there are fellow duel participants and the spectator exchanges. Once booted from RI, there is TC.

The main point against an RI inhabitant sitting in on TC is that person still has a shot at the F3, and would have had something no other finalist has, an opportunity to watch TC from a spectator's perspective. That should be reserved for actual jurors. YMMV

04-12-11, 07:43 PM (EST)
9. "You're right"
I see what you're saying now, you're absolutely right.

Damn you, Redemption Island, you ruined the game of Survivor! Damn you, gosh damn you to heck!

04-12-11, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: How will the jury work"
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-11 AT 08:38 PM (EST)

And to that point, I'd add the the person returning will already have spent time with most of the jury on RI. They'd be more relaxed than in the game, there wouldn't be any trust issues between them, only an eventual challenge that can't really make you hate the person that beats you. The returnee will already have much too big an opportunity to get some votes compared to someone who, you know, is playing the game of Survivor.

I watch because I like the strategic game of Survivor, not because I like chimney-sweep or shuffle board challenges. To me, the returnee, no matter who it is, will not deserve to win. I saw a season when something just like that happened: Season 1 of the South African version of Survivor had 2 Outcasts return from "Dead Man's Island" at F5 and one of them won the game. Awful ending.

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-12-11, 11:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: How will the jury work"
Agreed that RI is screwing things up. Unfortunately Jeff and his blog groupies are all loving it, so I think this twist is going to stick for next season.

P.S. Somewhat related to this topic -- have any of you seen the Reality Blurred article about how CBS is casting for a Matt look-alike for the finale? http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_redemption_island/2011_Apr_12_matt_stand_in

04-13-11, 08:48 AM (EST)
13. "RE: How will the jury work"
Whoa, Squid, that is really odd and interesting.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-11, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: How will the jury work"
Why don't they see if Fabio/Jud is available?

That is VERY intriguing.

04-13-11, 05:14 PM (EST)
16. "RE: How will the jury work"
Maybe they'll have him make a series of Sprint adverts as part of their "vote yes to Rejection Island being something to continue doing even though in every other country where they tried it they figured out it was a plague and never did it again" campaign. With a T-shirt reading "No, really, it's just a coincidence."

04-13-11, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: How will the jury work"
In fact, it's so intriguing that I looked up exactly what a stand-in's job is. From Wikipedia:

A stand-in for film and television is a person who substitutes for the actor before filming, for technical purposes such as lighting.

Stand-ins are helpful in the initial processes of production. Lighting setup can be a slow and tedious process; during this time the actor will often be somewhere else. Stand-ins allow the director of photography to light the set, the camera department to light and focus scenes. The director will often ask stand-ins to deliver the scene dialogue ("lines") and walk through ("blocking") the scenes to be filmed. In this way, a good stand-in can help speed up the day's production and is a necessary and valuable cast member on a film...

Stand-ins do not necessarily look like the actor, but they must have the same skin tone, hair colour, height and build as the actor so that the lighting in a scene will be set up correctly. For example, if the lighting is set up with a stand-in shorter than an actor, the actor might end up having his or her head in relative darkness.

So why would they need a stand-in for Matt if he's just going to be one of the crowd of 15 people who aren't in the Final 3? Why do they need to make the lighting appropriate for him?

04-13-11, 05:25 PM (EST)
19. "RE: How will the jury work"
The most logical answer is that's not what why they want a stand-in this time. If that's all they wanted it could have been done less obviously.

04-13-11, 05:44 PM (EST)
20. "RE: How will the jury work"
Perhaps, but the ad doesn't specify anything out of the ordinary. I would assume they expect that anyone applying would understand the job to be what a stand-in's job normally is.

Anyway, as the article says, it's odd that the gig is for three days so maybe it is the case that he can't be there until the very last minute.

Or maybe the whole thing is just a fake "spoiler" planted by CBS.

04-13-11, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: How will the jury work"
I wonder if former survivors could give us insight into what the stand ins are for and if this is normal. Anyone in contact with a former Survivor and could ask?

I am just beginning to wonder if this is the biggest spoiler of the season...

04-13-11, 06:26 PM (EST)
22. "RE: How will the jury work"
One thing that former Survivors rarely discuss is production.

04-13-11, 06:51 PM (EST)
23. "RE: How will the jury work"
Well, it can't hurt to ask...

04-14-11, 12:18 PM (EST)
25. "RE: How will the jury work"
KOBrienfan knows several former contestants.

But if stand-ins are generally used when the actual person isn't there, it's doubtful they'd be able to say much.

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-14-11, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: How will the jury work"
I just checked over at Sucks to see if anyone had posted about this, and here's what Anti had to say, which is interesting:

"I attended the S6 finale.

"Before and during the airing of the episode, they rehearsed the vote reveal using stand-ins. People sat on stage wearing pictures of the contestants around their neck. The entire F4 was represented, and they just switched players randomly during each rehearsal (Matt beats Rob, Butch beats Jenna, etc.) so as not to give the F2 away to the audience*. I do not remember if the jury was represented. Additionally, I don't believe the stand-ins matched the contestants in physical appearance.

"If this casting call is simply a rehearsal role like the ones I saw, then it may mean that Matt either makes the F5 (they'd mix and match the surviving players in the finale) or possibly just the jury (if the jury is indeed represented by stand-ins).

"I don't know what else this could be for. If Matt were unable to attend the finale, they'd just have an empty chair and explain why he wasn't there."

"*which was a good thing as the balcony was full of spoiler people...when they flashed the previously-unknown S7 location preview on the monitors, the sleuth next to me texted the Acme Brain Trust to get the word out. Good times."

------

Very interesting. Could mean that Matt makes the jury...I guess we'll see next week if it's a hoax or has any credibility.

04-14-11, 01:07 PM (EST)
28. "RE: How will the jury work"
Thanks, SquidProQuo. This is definitely leaning me toward believing Matt defeats David and Mike in the next duel.

(I remember when that text came in. Good times, indeed.)

04-14-11, 01:25 PM (EST)
29. "RE: How will the jury work"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-11 AT 01:26 PM (EST)

Matt is already a "winner" of Redemption Island. If he ends up winning the duels a second time to get in the game why would they need a Redemption Island set for the live show?

ETA: oops, meant to reply to BR.

04-14-11, 01:57 AM (EST)
24. "RE: How will the jury work"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-11 AT 01:58 AM (EST)

I am just beginning to wonder if this is the biggest spoiler of the season...

I am going to assume it has no spoiler value whatsoever, it isn't even an intentional diversionary tactic. I think they want a Matt type for some reason, maybe the one they had is sick or got arrested or something. Some casting department monkey made it public by taking it too seriously and going all TMI with it, perhaps out of clampdown paranoia. Really, how hard could it be to find a Matt type in California, just go to the beach and take your pick.

04-14-11, 12:30 PM (EST)
26. "RE: How will the jury work"
Since Matt spent the whole game on RI, maybe the plan for the finale is to make him sit all by himself the entire time in a special area of the set designed to look like Redemption Island. They need a stand-in to get the RI lighting just right.

parathor 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-13-11, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail parathor Click to send private message to parathor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: How will the jury work"
....so, I guess put me down for "Matt beats everyone next week."

(or "Matt just quits, disappears, and hasn't been heard from since Week 8")

04-13-11, 08:47 AM (EST)
12. "RE: How will the jury work"
Thanks dabo ... let's hope SEG saw it ...

michel, that's a terrific point about how the RI guy can totally connect with each juror. Yikes!

I heard the Israeli version of RI had one guy (first boot, I guess) win all the duels from the beginning and then he won the game.

04-13-11, 10:41 AM (EST)
14. "RE: How will the jury work"
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-11 AT 12:46 PM (EST)

Confusion on Noam's placement is understandable as he won the title of "Island of the Dead Winner." That was for winning the final duel and returning to the actual game for the finale. In the actual game itself he finished in 2nd place.

04-14-11, 11:09 PM (EST)
30. "RE: How will the jury work"
I forgot there was a way to settle this question using the call sheets.

The sheets lay out all the cast who need to be transported and the crew members driving them to and from.

There are crew members assigned to bring the jury and the players still in camp to the TC and back, but there is no crew going to RI to bring anyone to TC. RI players stay on RI.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •