The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-29-11, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
Did anyone watch the TV Guide preview? I missed it, so would love to hear whether there was any spoilerish info.

I did find a couple excerpted clips on SF and youtube. The main tidbit I picked up is that there will be HIIs again this season. Jeff says the HII is "too good" and "adds too much drama" to give up. He also says that they will be given riddles to figure it out. (Not sure if this is "news" or already spoiled.)

Re Redemption Island: Jeff says that "at a certain point, THE person remaining on RI will get to come back." This seems to be in sync with what he says in the cast assessment video -- i.e. that ONE person will come back. I know this contradicts the spoiler that 2 people return, so not sure what's legit. Perhaps we shouldn't take the "one" and "the" too literally, esp. given CBS's history of poor grammar.

They show TC and the snuffer -- sounds like your torch still gets snuffed at TC, although I was figuring they'd have to adapt that ritual given RI.

The funniest part is when Jeff says that Russell still doesn't get it that people don't love him. Evidently Rob's team erupts in cheers when they find out he's going to be on their team, but Russell's team is nonplussed. Russell then asks why he didn't get the same reaction. Sounds like he still doesn't get the social part of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S6e72x7hlw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAcRhfg87k&feature=channel

Hopefully SF will have post vidcaps, esp. if there was any new challenge footage.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Re # of returnees from Redemption I... SquidProQuo 01-29-11 1
 RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... DearAbby 01-30-11 2
 RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... Tercel 01-31-11 3
   RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... Krautboy 01-31-11 4
       RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... SquidProQuo 02-01-11 6
           RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... Flowerpower 02-01-11 7
               RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... SquidProQuo 02-01-11 8
                   RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... Flowerpower 02-01-11 9
 RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Prev... Puffy 02-01-11 5
 TV guide article Flowerpower 02-09-11 10
 TV Guide Article Flowerpower 02-10-11 11
   RE: TV Guide Article SquidProQuo 02-10-11 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

01-29-11, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Re # of returnees from Redemption Island"
Here's what Mark Burnett had to say in a TV Guide interview, which seems to imply only 1 returnee at the end:

"So when you're voted off now, the first person goes to Redemption Island. They're there alone, in very tough conditions. Then next week the second one is voted off, that person goes off to the island. Those two have a head to head challenge. The winner stays there, the loser goes home. Technically, the first person off could win every challenge on redemption island and come back at the end."

Here's what Jeff had to say in EW -- this is a bit more vague. Still seems like 1 to me, except for the use of the word "people" in the 2nd para:

“How it works is very simple...When you’re voted out at Tribal Council, you don’t go home. You’re not out of the game. You go to Redemption Island and you live alone. And at a certain point in the game another person will join you. You will compete in a duel. The winner stays. The loser goes home. So you’re continuing to live out there on your own with very basic supplies. But you’re still in the game. And at a certain point you’ll be allowed to reenter the game and have a shot at the money.”

"Make no mistake: When you’re voted out, you’re not going home, and somebody that you vote out could come back and bite you in the #####. So I have no problem with people coming back into the game because everybody knows up front. A rule can’t be unfair if you know going in. It’s an equal opportunity.”

----

Just wondering if BW's spoiler is the only indication that there are 2 returnees? Or is there other evidence that there are multiple returnees? Based on all the recent CBS interviews, I'm leaning toward only 1, but maybe I missed something.

DearAbby 3008 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-30-11, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DearAbby Click to send private message to DearAbby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
I DVR'd the episode and just now have been able to watch. Quotes may not be exact, but they are close. Something interesting I noted (but didn't include in the quotes) is that none of the lawyers (Kristina, David, Francesca) plan to admit to their profession in the beginning. And Mike will only share his Marine background on a "need-to-know basis."

RussHell
"Why should I come out here now and be the nice guy? If I did that, I'd be voted off first. Cause people would say, 'Oh, something's up.' They have to fear me. 'Play the social game, Russell. It's your Achilles Heel. Play the social game.' My social game is perfect. ... I'm trying to make them vote the way they're supposed to vote—not for the popular person or the prettiest person. It's outwit, outlast, outplay. Not out-socialize. It's a problem that needs to be fixed, and I'm here to fix it."

Jeff: "He still doesn't get it. He still thinks everybody loves him. ... Even with a diamond in his tooth and a new tattoo, fans can expect the same Russell."

Rob
"I imagine that little Hobbit's back. I'm gonna kick his a** all over the island. ... I think that the biggest thing I can do to keep myself in the game is to let my teammates know that I'm gonna be an asset to them."

Jeff: "Rob could win Survivor. These people would give it to him. Russell? Good luck!"

Stephanie
"I would have voted for Russell."

Jeff: "Stephanie could be Russell's biggest fan. ... Stephanie, if I'm right, will be first off. The best thing Russell has going is he's on a tribe with Stephanie. Because you can't get rid of Russell before you get rid of Stephanie."

Ashley
"I don't know if I'm going to mention the fact that I'm a pageant girl yet. ... I want to play the whole athlete/tomboy card. ... I don't want them to think I'm the stereotype dumb bimbo pageant girl who's just here for a few days to get a tan."

Jeff: "Ashley's problem in winning is gonna be that she's got enough bite to irritate people. ... I'd like Ashley to stay for a while."

Steve
"Myself and two other free agents made it out of 110 in the Class of 1981 to play with the Cowboys. Gary Hogeboom, who was on one of the earlier seasons, Guatemala, was one of my teammates."

Jeff: "I really like Steve. ... One of Russell's biggest problems is gonna be Steve. I think Steve sees Russell as a threat, and it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to take him out right away."

Andrea
"Yes, I've seen all the seasons of Survivior, and then when I found out I was gonna be on the show I rewatched all of them, so I know my stuff."

Jeff: "Andrea has the outdoor part of Survivor mastered. ... Andrea is my hope to break the mold ... and that she's come to play."

Fabio Matt
"I'm kinda coming in hoping people are just gonna view me as that goofy kid with a big grin on his face who's so happy to be here. ... I'll put some hair flips in there and some stupid comments and they may think I don't have a thought running through my head."

Jeff: "He's a smart young man, seems very principled but has a kid-like enthusiasm."

Krista
"I'm going to try to stick to staying honest and true to alliances, but you know, when there comes to a point where there has to be a blindside or something out of the blue, I'm probably gonna go for it."

Jeff: "Krista, who looks like Survivor Samoa champ Natalie, was the first person Russell went to and hugged. Who knows with Russell? But I'll be curious to see if those two come together."

Phillip
"I feel that the competition now is a couple of ladies here who got some beauty going on, but there's a lot going on upstairs."

Jeff: "Phillip has this idea that on Day One he's gonna tell his group, 'Listen, I used to work with Special Forces. I know how to get information out of people.' He thinks that's gonna make him valuable."

Julie
"I get along well with the guys and probably gonna have a tougher time with the women. ... I'm known to be outspoken at work but will have to bite my tongue here."

Jeff: "Julie has such a great energy from inside that she looks a lot younger than she actually is, and I think that will work to her advantage."

Kristina
"If the producers edit me and I am put into the villain spot, that's great. You know, I'm a villain. That's what I am. I can live with that."

Jeff: "I'm guessing Kristina's gonna play to win."

Mike
"I don't mind being the leader, but I don't want to be the leader with a target on his back."

Jeff: "If Krstina ends up the villain of the season, Mike just might just take on the hero role. ... Mike came to play. I can see Mke winning this game. ... If he gets to the end, yeah, I'll give him the money."

Natalie
"If flirting is something that needs to happen, it's gonna happen."

Jeff: "I have a feeling Natalie is going to fade early, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong."

David
"I'm not overly confident, but I come across that way."

Jeff: "He's the smartest Survivor we've ever had—the highest IQ of anyone we've ever tested. But socially, right now, he's an outcast."

Ralph
"Down in this area, I don't know exactly what to find to eat. The old saying is, If you can hold it down 9 seconds without throwing up, it's okay. Eat it."

Jeff: "You can't understand a thing Ralph says. 'Ymo blzq auf brdom plx.' ... If Ralph lasts long enough, he will become one of the most iconic Survivors ever. You won't forget him."

Francesca
"I'm a bossy know-it-all, so I have to make sure I'm not that person."

Jeff: "She has got a lippy mouth. She already has nicknames for everyone, even before they've spoken."

Grant
"I am a yoga instructor back in LA. I played in the NFL. So I won't be sharing that information."

Jeff: "If Grant has merged those two worlds—lethal. The guy could be lethal."

Sarita
"I want to carry myself with grace. ... I'm super resourceful."

Jeff: "That girl is trouble in the best way. If she uses her looks and charm and her wit and savvy, she'd be a very interesting winner."

Million dollar quotes
Rob: "Look, if you take me with you to the end, there's no way in h*** anybody's gonna give me a million bucks. But I promise you, when I get to the end, they will give it to me!"

Matt: "I didn't come out here to get married; I came out here to win a million dollars. ... Almost everything's a social game. If someone doesn't like you, I don't care how good you are at challenges, you're gonna get voted out."

Sarita: "There will be a time when I may have to cut someone, and I have to be ready for that. This is for a million dollars."

Tercel 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-31-11, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tercel Click to send private message to Tercel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
Here are some more clips:

Part A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzX9c17OZSM
Part B http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIP2LjzoR0c
Part C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhKWaKiQpHA
Part D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADzPT9OQFH8
Part F http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDBQkC2U-g

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-31-11, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
Thanks Tercell and DearAbby!

I watched several of the clips last and there is loads of new footage from EP1. I noticed that both Tribes had fire already, so the vidcaps of smoke in the camps, that we've been discussing elsewhere, don't really help to determine who goes to TC first.

Krautboy

02-01-11, 03:03 AM (EST)
6. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
Yes, thank you Dear Abby and Tercel!

The last clip (part F) has a very helpful overview of how the 1st challenge works. There are 3 sections, and the vidcap where we see Rooster with the ax is only the 2nd phase. The final part is doing a puzzle with big blocks. You can see Rob taking the lead for his team. Hopefully SF will have vidcaps soon.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-01-11, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
Thanks for posting this!

Here is what was said about the challenge:

The idea was to build an ancient temple, and the name of the challenge is "Push it up HIll". You start by pushing four huge blocks, very heavy blocks. Once the four blocks are up against the temple, they race up stairs, where one person will ax and chop a series of 9 ropes. (Rooster does this for RussHell's team, and Matt chops for Rob's team). It's kind of a temple of doom, and once the ropes are chopped stairs appear, unfold. Then the tribes race to the top where there is a really tough, really heavy, block puzzle to complete the temple. First one done, wins.

In the vidcaps that they show, it appears that they are pretty evenly matched. One would think to give Rob the benefit of the doubt with the puzzle, but...too close to call on visual inspection.

02-01-11, 10:20 AM (EST)
8. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
"...too close to call on visual inspection."

Yep, I agree. And just to clarify, when I said Rob is "taking the lead," I meant that he literally seems to be leading his team in moving around the blocks and telling people what to do in the puzzle phase -- not necessarily that his team is ahead.

This looks like a cool challenge. They obviously put some $ into it. Hope it bodes well for all challenges this season, after some recent kinda lame ones.

Oh, and thanks to Volcanic Glass for posting the videos on SF!

02-01-11, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"

If Rob is leading the puzzle building for Ometepe, than David is leading the other team....

David, with shirt on, who is the one with the highest IQ ever to play the game...:

Thanks to TDT for the vidcaps.

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

02-01-11, 03:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: TV Guide Redemption Island Preview"
The show is being repeated several times over the next few days.

Snowed in by Tribephyl

02-09-11, 08:32 AM (EST)
10. "TV guide article"
THANKS, WEBBY, for doing whatever it took to fix RTVW! Boy, what a bummer when we are locked out! We don't thank you enough for everything you do....THANK-YOU!

Just wanted to reference this article here, by TV Guide.

Jiffy notes that this season is definitely going to be a winner, and is breathlessly excited! I know he's plugging the show, but I can't help feel the excitement!

one nation, under Romber...

02-10-11, 08:43 AM (EST)
11. "TV Guide Article"
Article in TV Guide with some pictures. Thanks to Survivor Fever for posting!

one nation, under Romber...

02-10-11, 12:03 PM (EST)
12. "RE: TV Guide Article"
Thanks for bringing this over, FloPo!

So Jeff says that representatives (vs. everyone) will observe the RI duels. That should be an interesting twist. Wonder how they'll choose who gets to go? And his "stink eye" comment is hilarious.

Also sounds like the duels will range from physical to mental -- so might be luck of the draw whether you get one that plays to your strengths or not.

Jeff still doesn't clarify when and how many people can return from RI.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •