The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"her name was Lola"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

kiki_k 1444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kiki_k Click to send private message to kiki_k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"her name was Lola"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 12:48 PM (EST)

she was a showgirl . . .

looks like two weeks from today is Barry Manilow night:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4376315/

eta: because I don't know what day it is!

compliments of GeorgiaBelle

All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: her name was Lola CantStandToLook 04-08-04 1
   RE: her name was Lola callalilly3000 04-08-04 7
 Oh Mandee zombiebaby 04-08-04 2
   RE: Oh Mandee opinionated 04-08-04 5
 RE: her name was Lola opinionated 04-08-04 3
   Plop... zombiebaby 04-08-04 4
       RE: Plop... opinionated 04-08-04 9
           RE: Plop... zombiebaby 04-08-04 13
               RE: Plop... opinionated 04-08-04 17
                   RE: Plop... mistofleas 04-08-04 20
                       RE: Plop... opinionated 04-08-04 23
               RE: Plop... drooler 04-08-04 18
   RE: her name was Lola mistofleas 04-08-04 6
       RE: her name was Lola zombiebaby 04-08-04 10
           RE: her name was Lola opinionated 04-08-04 12
               RE: her name was Lola mistofleas 04-08-04 15
           RE: her name was Lola mistofleas 04-08-04 14
   Not next week presgrl9 04-08-04 8
       DUH! kiki_k 04-08-04 11
           RE: DUH! pmspml5 04-08-04 16
               RE: DUH! opinionated 04-08-04 19
                   RE: DUH! managerr 04-08-04 24
 A short list of songs... opinionated 04-08-04 21
   RE: A short list of songs... zombiebaby 04-08-04 22
       RE: A short list of songs... opinionated 04-08-04 25
           RE: A short list of songs... I_AM_HE 04-08-04 31
   RE: A short list of songs... mrc 04-08-04 30
 Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide On... Bebo 04-08-04 26
   RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guid... opinionated 04-08-04 27
       RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guid... Handola 04-08-04 29
           RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guid... zombiebaby 04-08-04 32
               RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guid... VirginiaIsForMe 04-08-04 35
                   RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guid... kiki_k 04-08-04 36
 get it out of my head Jayzzzy 04-08-04 28
 RE: His name was RICO..... emydi 04-08-04 33
   He wore a diamond kiki_k 04-08-04 34
   RE: His name was RICO..... zombiebaby 04-08-04 37
       Everybody join in..... emydi 04-08-04 38
       RE: His name was RICO..... kiki_k 04-08-04 39
           Movie Theme-Recommended Songs presgrl9 04-08-04 40
               RE: Movie Theme-Recommended Songs zombiebaby 04-08-04 41
               RE: Movie Theme-Recommended Songs emydi 04-09-04 42
                   RE: Movie Theme-Recommended Songs VirginiaIsForMe 04-09-04 43
 BUMP emydi 04-16-04 44

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-08-04, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: her name was Lola"
Now that I can't wait to see. This might actually be a night where John S. can shine.

Funny that they showed a few commericials for Barry Manilow live CD's during the show and now next week is Barry Manilow night...coincidence??

Handcrafted by RollDdice
blatantly causing cross-threading confusion since..eh..today

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-08-04, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: her name was Lola"
I just LOVE Barry Mannilow!

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Oh Mandee"
Can't wait to see what George and Jennifer pick for this?

2 soulful singers faced with soulless song choices. Don't get me wrong love some of Barry's stuff-big fan of cheese!

This should prove if they have what it takes in the AI world.

I can see it now- George injecting some gospel into "Daybreak"!

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Oh Mandee"
"DAYBREAK"! Thank you. Forgot about that one. There's "It's a Miracle," too. OK, maybe it won't be all power ballads.

Pass the cheddar. I love the cheese, too.

04-08-04, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: her name was Lola"
Speaking of the showgirl with yellow feather in her hair and a dress cut down to there...

Whoever manages to grab "Copacabana" is at an advantage, in my opinion. Most people secretly love singing along to that song, and it will be infectious if done well. I'm thinking through Manilow's songs, and they are almost all power ballads (unless you count "Some Kind of Friend," but if anyone sings that horrible song I will gag and be forced to hurl something at the television). I know he's written songs for other performers...does anyone know of any other up-tempo songs he's written?

I must confess, I actually love listening to his songs (most of them). "Mandy" always made me cry as a kid, and "Weekend in New England" is just beautiful. He wrote a lot of jingles--wouldn't it be a riot if someone like JPL decided to sing those? "Have a bucket of chicken, finger-lickin' good, have a barrel of fun..."

opinionated

04-08-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Plop..."
I think the "plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a releif it is..." is his also.

I sense some earworms coming on!

9. "RE: Plop..."
Hee hee. I think one of the McDonald's jingles was also his. "You deserve a break today, so get up and get away, to McDonaaaaalds..."

04-08-04, 12:48 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Plop..."
Did he do the classic "2 all beef patties, special sauce. lettuce, cheese..."

Big high five if someone can remember the rest of the words!

04-08-04, 12:56 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Plop..."
"...pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."

No, I don't think he wrote that one.

Now, who remembers the joke that ended with, "Two obese Patties, special Ross, Lester Freeze picking bunions on a Sesame Street bus"?

Pathetic, I know.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Plop..."
Now, who remembers the joke that ended with, "Two obese Patties, special Ross, Lester Freeze picking bunions on a Sesame Street bus"?

*raises hand*

Damn, I'm feeling really old right now!

--also remembers when hamburgers were 10 cents

04-08-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Plop..."
Damn, you ARE old!

*snicker*

Just kidding. Glad to know someone else remembers that joke. We sure did think it was funny back in Elementary school!

drooler 67 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

Click to EMail drooler Click to send private message to drooler Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Plop..."
. . . pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun ??

Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: her name was Lola"
A lot of Bette Midlers early stuff was written by Barry so I'm sure there will be some good pickin's there.

I still remember seeing pictures of Barry and Bette working on stage amidst all the steam in a bath house in NYC.

Both of them had to deal with frizzy hair issues!

--has hair that gets stick straight in humidity

04-08-04, 12:46 PM (EST)
10. "RE: her name was Lola"
Wasn't she one of his dancing mermaids? Or the other way around? (heh)

04-08-04, 12:48 PM (EST)
12. "RE: her name was Lola"
He was her pianist for years, and she gave him his big break, I believe.

04-08-04, 12:50 PM (EST)
15. "RE: her name was Lola"
He was her pianist for years, and she gave him his big break, I believe.

You believe correctly opinionated

--also listened to Engleburt Humperdink

04-08-04, 12:49 PM (EST)
14. "RE: her name was Lola"
I so wanted to be one of her wheelchair mermaids! The Divine Ms. M has been an inspiration to me since...forever.

Hmmm...I wonder if I'm not a drag queen deep inside!

--grew up listening to Barry and the Smothers Brothers

presgrl9 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

Click to EMail presgrl9 Click to send private message to presgrl9 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Not next week"
Barry Manilow will be a guest judge the 19-20, which is the week after next, according to the announcement they made this week on AI, and that article the first poster put a link to. I don't know what the theme is next week..anyone?

04-08-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kiki_k Click to send private message to kiki_k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "DUH!"
I read the 19th, but still thought it was next week -- what week are we in again? LOL I'll edit my post.

All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way

pmspml5 3263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-08-04, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: DUH!"
Originally next week was suppose to be the Elton John week but he had to reschedule - I think next week is the retro 40's week that was suppose to be this week.

19. "RE: DUH!"
My head is spinning...

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-08-04, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: DUH!"
I thought I heard Extra or some gossip station say next week was "Movie Night". Makes sense if there is a lot of rescheduling they'd do an easy theme for singers.

04-08-04, 01:07 PM (EST)
21. "A short list of songs..."
Did you know that he did not write "I Write the Songs." Isn't that weird? He also didn't write "Mandy" or "Weekend in New England!" Amazing what you find out when you start looking on the web. Anyway, I don't know if they'll let the contestants choose from his playlist, or just from the songs he actually wrote.

Here's a short list of songs that he both wrote and performed (I'm sure there are more):

Copacabana (At The Copa) - Written by: Bruce Sussman, Jack Feldman and Barry Manilow - © 1978

Could It Be Magic - Written by: Barry Manilow and Adrienne Anderson - © 1978

I Made It Through The Rain - Written by: Gerald Kenny, Drey Sheppherd, Barry Manilow and Jack Feldman - © 1979

Day Break - Written by: Barry Manilow and Adrienne Anderson - © 1976

Even Now - Written by: Barry Manilow and Marty Panzer - © 1979

If I Should Love Again - Written by: Barry Manilow - © 1981

If You Were Here With Me Tonight - Written by: Barry Manilow, Eric Borenstein and Lisa Sennett Thomas - © 1985

It's A Miracle - Written by: Barry Manilow and Marty Panzer - © 1974

New York City Rhythm - Written by: Barry Manilow and Marty Panzer - © 1975

One Voice - Written by: Barry Manilow - © 1979

Paradise Cafe - Written by: Bruce Sussman, Jack Feldman and Barry Manilow - © 1984

This One's For You - Written by: Barry Manilow and Mary Panzer - © 1976

Some Kind Of Friend - Written by: Barry Manilow and Adrienne Anderson - © 1982

When October Goes - Written by: Johnny Mercer and Barry Manilow - © 1984

Who Needs To Dream - Written by: Bruce Sussman, Jack Feldmay, Barry Manilow and Artie Butler

04-08-04, 01:09 PM (EST)
22. "RE: A short list of songs..."
"It's a true blue spectacle, a miracle!"

Oh boy my feet are tapping now!

04-08-04, 01:15 PM (EST)
25. "RE: A short list of songs..."
Oh God, I just had a vision of Diana singing "I Made It Through the Rain." Yikes. I don't think a 16-year-old can pull off that song. Here's hoping Diana, Jasmine and John stear clear of it.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: A short list of songs..."
call me crazy, but i could hear JPL pulling that one off. maybe taht's just cauuse it's the only one on the list aside from copacabana that i actually know...

JPL, your next American Idol!

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: A short list of songs..."
Boohoohoo!

*sobbing uncontrollably*

I can't believe that Barry didn't write "Mandy" and "Weekend in New England"! Those are two of my all-time favorite songs--yes, I said "all-time"--so what? Leave me alone!

I'm going back to my sobbing now!

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide Online"
TV Guide Online is reporting movie theme night, with Quentin Tarrantino as a guest judge.

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ

04-08-04, 01:32 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide Online"
ALL RIGHT! We may finally have a guest judge who tells it like it is!

Handola 54 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Handola Click to send private message to Handola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide Online"
Quentin Tarantino! This could be the most interesting AI yet! That's awesome. I hope he does tell the truth 'cause that would be joyous. All the guest judges are too nice, like Paula or they don't say much.

That does mean that we have to wait a week until Barry, but we'll just have to deal. Too bad for John Stevens that Barry isn't next week! But, with movie songs he can probably find something from an old movie that works for his style.

Can't believe that Barry didn't write "I write the songs". I feel used and abused.

04-08-04, 02:41 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide Online"
I feel "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon" coming on.

VirginiaIsForMe 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VirginiaIsForMe Click to send private message to VirginiaIsForMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide Online"
from the article about camile getting voted out on the realitytvworld home page:

Next week, actor/director Quentin Tarantino will be the guest judge as the remaining eight finalists perform songs from their favorite movies on Tuesday, April 13 (8-9 PM ET/PT). On Wednesday, April 14 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT), Christina Christian, another American Idol finalist from the first season, will perform "Forever or Never," from her forthcoming debut album, for the live studio audience and television viewers across the nation.

Sounds like a good one, it won't force someone to do something they should never be trying in the first place.

what are the odds of JPL doing "footloose," that was the very first one to come to mind when i read the theme. he can "bust some moves" and he doesn't need an amazing voice to sing the song.

04-08-04, 03:14 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Next Week's Theme - per TV Guide Online"
I hope John Stevens does "It Had to Be You" from "When Harry Met Sally" -- ofcourse, he is probably too young to remember that movie.

Jayzzzy 88 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jayzzzy Click to send private message to Jayzzzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "get it out of my head"
I will be walking around all day singing this little ditty....

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: His name was RICO....."
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 02:58 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 02:56 PM (EST)

You cant forget about RICO, Lola's MAN...

I think they will allow them to sing any of the songs that Barry either sang or wrote, as long as the song is on the approved AI list and is allowed to be sung.

SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT is a great song, maybe for John S.

I would have loved to have heard CLAY sing Barry.

What do they do if more than one contestant wants to sing Copa?

emydi
I won my 5th grade talent show singing Copa!!!!

04-08-04, 02:59 PM (EST)
34. "He wore a diamond"
I could never forget Rico, darlin'

04-08-04, 03:15 PM (EST)
37. "RE: His name was RICO....."
>
>What do they do if more
>than one contestant wants to
>sing Copa?
>
>

The shots rang out across the crowded bar!

(Sorry don't think I got the words right)

04-08-04, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "Everybody join in....."
Barry Manilow - Copa Cabana

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair, and a dress cut down to there
She would Merengue and do the Cha-Cha
And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended bar
Across the crowded floor, they worked from 8 'til 4
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more

Chorus:
At the Copa, Copa Cabana
The hottest spot North of Havana
Here at the Copa, Copa Cabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa

They fell in love

Copa, Copa Cabana

His name was Rico, he wore a diamond
He was escorted to his chair, he saw Lola dancing there
And when she finished, he called her over
But Rico went a bit too far, Tony sailed across the bar
And then the punches flew, and chairs were smashed in two
There was blood and a single gun shot
But just who shot who

{Chorus}
She lost her love

Copa, Copa Cabana
Copa, Copa Cabana
Copa Cabana

Copa, Copa Cabana
Life in Havana
Have a banana
Music and passion, always in fashion

Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl
And that was 30 years ago, when they used to have a show
Now it's a disco, but not for Lola
Still in the dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair
She sits there so refined, and drinks herself half blind
She lost her youth and she lost her Tony
Now she lost her mind

{Chorus}
Don't fall in love
Don't fall in love
Copa Cabana
Copa Cabana

Copa, Copa Cabana
Copa Cabana (repeat 'til end)

emydi

04-08-04, 03:21 PM (EST)
39. "RE: His name was RICO....."
That's ok, but I think the lyrics you are refering to are:

"Tony sailed across the bar
and then the punches flew and chairs were smashed in two
there was blood and a single gun shot
but just who shot who?"

presgrl9 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-08-04, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail presgrl9 Click to send private message to presgrl9 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "Movie Theme-Recommended Songs"
On Entertainment Tonight, Paula confirmed next week's theme would be Songs from the Movies with guess judge Quentin Tarantino. It will definately be a fun week! She also said we are going to here songs from "Westside Story", "Grease" and "Flashdance"...hmmmm I wonder who could EVER do these?

Here are my predictions for songs they should pick (good for their voice and range):

Jasmine-"A Whole New World" (come on now, she could show some pride in her name and it's a good song for her)

George-"Shout" (Animal House among others) or "I'm a Soul Man" from "Blues Brothers"..he would be awesome at both

John S.- grrr..."Just the Way you Look Tonight" or "Zipp pa dee Doo da"...Ghostbusters would be pretty funny personally I think!
hahaha

Diana-"On My Own" from Les Miserables..she would really prove herself but I put money that she is the one doing "Grease"...ugh (my pick to win is not making good selections here people!)

LaToya -"Memories" (from Cats)..she would WOW everyone, and almost guarantee one of the top two positions. She might be the one doing West Side Story

JPL-I liked the suggestion of "Footloose" but you can bank he's doing "I'm a Maniac" from Flashdance...this will be bad.

As for Fantasia and Jennifer, I'm still pondering...

04-08-04, 09:12 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Movie Theme-Recommended Songs"
Are songs from the soundtrack "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo" on the song list?

04-09-04, 09:35 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Movie Theme-Recommended Songs"
How bout "Singing in the Rain" for John S.

Or is he going to do the West Side Story song?

emydi

VirginiaIsForMe 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-09-04, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VirginiaIsForMe Click to send private message to VirginiaIsForMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Movie Theme-Recommended Songs"
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-04 AT 10:09 AM (EST)

>How bout "Singing in the Rain"
>for John S.
>
>Or is he going to do
>the West Side Story song?
>

John S could pull off "Maria" from WSS i think, and "Singing in the Rain" he could do too. Or he might try and build on last weeks somewhat positive performance and try something different again, but my guess is he's stepping back inside his box this week.

04-16-04, 10:08 PM (EST)
44. "BUMP "
To get the BM song buzz going again

emydi

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •