The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"20-20 Hindsight EP3"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-24-10, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"20-20 Hindsight EP3"
Warning: Spoiler Alert! Contains source spoilers…Do not read this thread if you don’t want to know the outcome of events before they air on the show.

Since we have the benefit of sourced spoilers providing us with 20-20 Hindsight before EP3 airs, we can study the editing with a much more critical eye. Not only can we analyze the editing as it relates to the short term story unfolding each episode, we can also study the long term storyline unfolding more slowly over the entire season.

After the first two episodes we have started to assemble our spoiling tool box. So far it contains:

Strategies Revealed Do Not Succeed
The Hidden Alliance
The OFG Theory
Confessional Analysis
The Confessional Spike
The Narrator Theory
Foreshadowing
The Winner’s Quote
The Ironic Confessional
The Boot Decoy
Misdirection
The Injury Edit
Jeff’s Blog

Please use these tools and test their effectiveness during EP3 and beyond...sharpen them if they're dull and please add to the toolbox as you come up with more.

Krautboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The Unresolved Confessional Krautboy 02-24-10 1
   RE: The Unresolved Confessional Flowerpower 02-25-10 2
       RE: The Unresolved Confessional Krautboy 02-25-10 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

02-24-10, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "The Unresolved Confessional"
Confessionals are perhaps the purest form of editing used to tell the story of what happens on Survivor. The contestants are temporarily removed from the game, taken to a private location, and put in front of the camera to say whatever they choose, knowing their comments will not affect the outcome of the game.

The editors in turn, have a rich supply of comments from which to choose. Since these comments are made away from the game, the editors are free to use them or ignore them, or piece together the sound bites in a way that makes the story they would like to tell more interesting.

Where comments made during a challenge, or at Tribal Council are more difficult to control, confessionals are carefully selected and edited to control how the story is told. The editors can’t control the outcome of the game, but they choose the path they take us down to get there…

The point is that confessionals are selected by the editors for very specific reasons. They compliment and reinforce the story and provide insight that might not otherwise be available to us during the game play. They are also used to foreshadow, misdirect, surprise and inform.

Eventually the comments made during a confessional become resolved when the point made plays out in the game; a foreshadowed event finally takes place, a misdirection is proven wrong, a prediction comes true, a strategy revealed does not succeed, etc. Some confessionals are resolved during the same episode, others may not be resolved until the end of the game, but they will all eventually find a resolution because they were carefully selected for that purpose.

For example this confessional is resolved during the episode it is made:

Rupert “Being able to get out in the ocean, that’s where I feel most comfortable but my toe is broken…it’d be better off for me right now… to be a worker bee and start us a fire….”
Resolved when Rob makes the fire instead.

This confessional will be resolved at TC3:

Randy: “The only thing “paradise” about this hell hole is leaving it.”

But it’s the unresolved confessionals that lead us to the hidden alliances and critical turning points in the game:

Sandra “Last time I was mean and this time I’m meaner; you know I’ll lie, I don’t care but I make up a good lie”

Sandra “The person that I think I’m most like is Rob… seeing Rob here, it reminds me of when he played the first time. I loved him….” and “That’s someone I can see myself aligning with until it’s time to cut his throat”.

Rob “If these people were smart, they’d get rid of me right away, it’s the smartest thing they could do but they won’t, they never do.”

The Unresolved Confessionals contain the answers to how the story will unfold…

Krautboy

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-25-10, 07:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Unresolved Confessional"
Great points, KB. Our collective tool box looks pretty good! I also want to call attention to the sound byte that gets focused on...like the one where Courtney said to Parvati and Danielle out on the beach...."how come they end up with Colby, Rupert, Tom, and JT and we get Randy???" This did not have to be shown and it was said at a distance, so it was very interesting that while muffled a bit, it was indeed included....for a reason.

It is editing at its best, used to tell the story. And, no one deciphers the editing better than our own Veruca...

...and as you have noted, some are used to foreshadow immediate events, while others are used to foreshadow long-term events. Sometimes the difference isn't so obvious.

02-25-10, 04:56 PM (EST)
3. "RE: The Unresolved Confessional"
Here's a rough draft of what might be considered a list of the "Unresolved Confessionals", taken from Verucasalt's transcript. Thanks Veruca!

Unresolved Confessionals after Episode 2

Rupert “In my world, I’ve always tried to show that good will win”

Russell “I’m a villain, I think villains are smarter than heroes because they don’t mind stabbing somebody in the back to get where they want to get; it’s a fact…. google it.”

JT “The heroes are definitely the people I want to play the game with; villains are the people I’ve always been against so this is perfect for me to be on the hero side and battle it out….”

Jerri “I’ve been labeled things like she-devil in a blue bikini, the wicked witch of the west, man-eater Manthey! That was my favorite one.”

James “I’m back here to do what I came to do the first time, get to the end and make the money… coming back to redeem myself”

Coach “This time I slay everyone and trust no one. This is my chance for redemption”

Tom “I’m not in the shape I was last time but I still think I can hang in there as tough as any guy next to me”

Rob “If these people were smart, they’d get rid of me right away, it’s the smartest thing they could do but they won’t, they never do.”

Colby “I’m almost a decade older….to me it’s a test to see if I still got it”

Sandra “Last time I was mean and this time I’m meaner; you know I’ll lie, I don’t care but I make up a good lie”

Cirie “People think they know me, they don’t really know me, I’m a gangster in an Oprah suit but I’m not like a mean gangster, nice gangster with a smile.”

Tyson “Colby getting owned by Coach… I can only imagine what Colby’s thinking; he’s got to be like I might as well become a woman because there’s no point on trying to maintain my masculinity now”

Cirie “Initially, I thought maybe Sandra shouldn’t be on the villains’ tribe; not anymore; Sandra earned her title as a villain with the bra incident and Sugar”

Rupert “When I came out of that final heat (describes toe) but I’m not getting put out of this game over a damned toe.

Russell “The villains lost; you think that really bothers me? Losing? Cuz I’m used to losing with a bunch of dummies (Rob) but the difference is this ain’t a bunch of dummies (Courtney, Randy with Rob bringing up shot) We will win and I’m looking forward to sending the heroes (Rupert) to Tribal Council and letting them (Amanda/Tom) do their hero thing”

Russell “I can’t believe I’m doing this again… I believe I have to stay on my toes with these fellows… ….I’m ready for the challenge” “I got way more to prove, right here then I did the last time; if I can do it here; if I can take it all the way; whoop these All Stars, doesn’t that mean I’m the best ever?” “I’m gonna play similar to the same game; I’m gonna use the mind game; they better give it their all (Jerri) and play the game (Coach) as I’m taking this crap serious; that’s why I’m here. I have to work my magic on the villains’ side which is gonna be tough” “These are All Stars but you know what, I’m a little above that… there’s always somebody that’s above their sport and I’m the best player to ever play this game; now guess what, I get to prove it”

Danielle “I’m an aggressive player, I’m here to win, I wanna make smart alliances. With Russell he’s a great person to play this game with; he knows exactly what he’s doing. I’m going with my gut and I think I should stick with him until it gets to a point where I feel like he’d turn on me”

Parvati “I clearly know that Russell is running around talking to everyone and telling them the same thing but we can either work with each other or against each other and I do not want to work against him, are you kidding? He’s just an incredible force. With Russell I definitely feel like I’m making a deal with the devil but I want the devil on my side”

Colby “It takes a little bit to get back into the routine… of Survivor.. I remember this, it’s going to be miserable; but you just don’t remember what it feels like to be stranded and know you are just at the tip of the beginning of a long journey if you’re lucky” (scene shot of players in water) “… I think our team showed its strength; unfortunately I didn’t. The challenge was rough for me, I don’t like losing at anything and I got beat by Coach so I’m so rusty on the game but I’m having a good time”

Jerri “Coach, what a surprise, honestly I am very surprised by Coach. There’s just something about him and I don’t know what it is yet; I’m definitely going to make it a point to get to know Coach”

Coach “Thing that appeals to me about Jerri is that she is a different kind of girl and that interests me because I’m a different kind of guy…”

Coach “The girls were joking about it…. hey you never know, we might pair up and run this game but we need to be careful, Jerri and I…..”

JT “James and I were buddies right off the bat… he’s a guy’s guy… anything he tells me I believe it. Could I ever beat James if me and him were in the final two? No but I don’t see me and him in the final two…” “I want to form alliances with everyone I can; my strategy is to keep everyone on my side…”

Candice “The first couple days are always the worst out here because you don’t have everything settled; you don’t know everybody….” and “Going into the game again I’m worried about people who have a history together (Amanda/Cirie) that played on seasons before together (Stephenie/Tom) and I don’t really have anyone that I have a solid history with going into the game”

Amanda “James, myself and Cirie, we played this game together before. I played it twice with James… I’ve played it once with Cirie… we were in an alliance the whole time so we’re going to have to watch our distance because if people think we are too chummy it could definitely play against us”

JT “People are expecting me to be that guy they saw… that guy who stuck by his word… but in this game, it’s completely different” and “To win this game… you have to have a dark side, you have to be willing to sacrifice some of your integrity to make it far in this game. I’m not looking to save my hero name, I’m here to do what I have to do to win this game so it’s going to be a whole different ball game for me”

Coach “I got to tell you, I’m a little in awe of Rob and I’m not like that with people; you know he’s played it twice, he’s intuitive… so it’s great, he’s a great guy to have on the tribe”

Russell “We made fire and now Coach is going off with Boston Rob like he’s a hero or something. Rob, he thinks he’s the boss of the camp, he thinks he’s in control but this is my mountain and I’m still the king of the hill. Survivor is my palace…. I’m still the king unless I’m dethroned and that ain’t gonna happen”

Rupert “The only thing I’m worried about is my darn broken toe; if it starts coming up more and more… and what I can really bring to this tribe cause I haven’t done a whole lot yet, that worries me”

Rob “(Coach)He would love to be a hero but he’s really a villain so let’s see how this goes”

Coach “Boston Rob and I do have a good time together… he’s sharp, he’s going to challenge me and I think I will challenge him…

Sandra “The person that I think I’m most like is Rob… seeing Rob here, it reminds me of when he played the first time. I loved him….” and “That’s someone I can see myself aligning with until it’s time to cut his throat”

Colby “It’s little victories like the chicken that get you fired up; it just goes to show we have sustainability… that’s a huge thing. I think the villains can stay positive for a short time but without fire, without the small victories, it’s only a matter of time before that tribe self destructs”

Russell “What I like about it is they’re all shook up now; now they’re divided” “We have to divide them”

Russell “The heroes got their asses handed to them and you know what, we’re having a good time…” “It strengthens our tribe and it weakens the hero tribe” “They got to stab somebody in the back; they’re over there being villains, that’s what they’re doing!”

Tom “I really believe that when you identify a threat, you take them out as soon as possible (Cirie) you don’t wait, people did that on my season and they waited too long and they didn’t get the opportunity to get rid of me so I don’t want to have those regrets that those people had” and “Cirie is just a brilliant strategist and she’s proven that so I’m just a little bit nervous to give her a bye tonight”

Cirie “Word on the street is that Sugar is supposed to go tonight. Why Sugar? Yeah she’s annoying but that’s an even better reason for me to keep her around because as long as there is somebody annoying and somebody less strong than I am then that takes the target off of me so (Tom) if we could get rid of one of the stronger players out (Stephenie then panned over) like Tom or Stephenie that would be better for me so I’d rather not have Sugar go tonight”

Amanda “Cirie and I are here for blood (Cirie) okay, we are here to win this thing”

Jerri (conf): “This involves life beyond your game and without Rob here it will really hurt us…. spiral down into a pit of negativity”

Rob (conf) “When I came to I had a moment of clarity which was stop trying to be the good guy; because I’m trying to be so good, I’m making myself sick; just do what everyone wants you to do and be the villain” “Survivor is my life, I love the game… there’s no way I’d ever quit”

Russell (conf) “Boston Rob thinks he’s in charge. I’m starting to think this is not working out. I didn’t know his personality was that strong!” “But you know what, this is where I’m in charge, I am King Russell from Samoa”

I'll try to update the list periodically...

Krautboy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •