The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-16-09, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Posting from the cottage... have fun, y'all!

State of the Spoiling – Season Finale

!Welcome! to this season’s final SOTS, the weekly State of the Spoiling, that helps us to figure out how the episode is going to unfold and to stay one step ahead of Mark Burnett’s increasingly-insane bunch of editors (How else do you explain the Coach edit? Not to mention the number of hours they’ve had to watch him to do his thing and all the scenes they’ve left on the editing room floor?). This year, the blur-o-matic editors have been replaced by the B.S.-o-meter editors. The staff psychologists haven’t had a chance yet to work with the booted contestants themselves – they’ve been busy dealing with the team of editors and cameramen who have had to put up with Coach, even if he is a producer’s (and Jiffy’s) wet dream.

Anyhoo. Last Thursday’s episode saw the most anticipated boot since Jerri in S2: Australia. Appropriately, he went out just as FloPo called it:

More tidbits on how the episode unfolded: East Coast Spoiler Thread
And what did Jiffy think? Jeff’s Tocantins Blog – some good points made in this thread by a few posters (Brownroach, sol, Boo... come on down!) speculating on how the four finalists might view Coach, which may have some bearing on how he would vote in the final jury. Jiffy also posted an assessment of each of the four finalists – more on this further down in this SOTS.

And what did Coach say to our Webby during his post-ouster interview?
*Warning: RTVW is not responsible for any bouts of insanity, urges to strangle somebody or future psychiatric visits resulting from reading this interview*

Let’s meet our Final Four, shall we?

Erinn Lobdell (26)
Waukesha, Wis.
Hairstylist
James "JT" Thomas (24)
Samson, Ala.
Cattle Rancher
Stephen Fishbach (29)
New York, N.Y.
Corporate Consultant
Taj Johnson-George (37)
Nashville, Tenn.
Mrs. Eddie George/Pop Star

And let’s also meet the five losers who will be joined by two more in the finale, and will have the power to let their delusions run rampant while asking questions and deciding who is the Sole Survivor:

Brendan
Synnott
Tyson
Apostol
Sierra
Reed
Debbie
Beebe
Couchebag
Wade

This is where VerucaSalt’s The Players, The Game, The Editing – Survivor Tocantins thread really comes in handy as we’ve now had an entire season to analyze editing patterns and in-camp relationships to try and figure out who might be the most likely to remain standing at the end of the game. As Veruca has explained, that thread was never designed to figure out who’s being booted in any particular episode, but rather to look at editing patterns. Compelling arguments had been made quite early in the game for the longevity of Stephen and Erinn, in particular, and the people who have championed their causes can stand up and take a bow (yes, including you, Michel!).

The title of this week’s episode as brought to us by SquidProQuo (well done in setting up your first thread!) is:

I Trust You But I Trust Me More

Sylvester suggests that the title is from JT during the final immunity challenge after (let’s say) Erinn steps down and Stephen/JT are making deals to take the other to the final two, and JT says this and then hangs on to win immunity. OFG pointed out that Stephen likely wouldn’t have said this as he would have said “myself” instead of “me” in order to be grammatically correct, so it’s either Taj or JT.

We’ve got vidcaps here. The long-awaited spider challenge is finally here after first seeing promos for it when there were still 11 people left, and the spoiler that Taj and JT would have to make final four for this to be true has been upheld.

Here are the clues for this week’s episode as taken from Squid’s thread just above:

Loyalties and strong alliances are questioned when the final four face the fact that only one will be awarded the million dollar prize and the title of Sole Survivor.

"I Trust You But I Trust Me More" - After one shocking vote, a seed of doubt is planted by a carefully constructed lie that, after the second vote, leaves the final two turning on each other at the final Tribal Council.

Goody, this is the type of clue that leads to a lot of excellent discussions and theories about what it means! Many people speculate that the “shocking vote” would mean that Erinn is safe because booting her in fourth place wouldn’t be a shock in the eyes of most viewers. Booting Stephen or JT would qualify as a major shock, while Taj would also be a shock if Erinn doesn’t win immunity. Another angle to consider – are we talking about a single vote (“shocking vote”) where there is a tie and a burn-off, or are we talking about a shocking vote resulting in an unexpected boot? Or was the “shocking vote” actually the JT vote for Erinn in the previous episode when Coach got booted – i.e., did Stephen go against the plan to boot Erinn or did JT go against the plan to boot Coach? Is it all simply a matter of jury vote wrangling?

Also, several good points have been made that “the final two turning on each other” sounds like JT and Stephen butting heads while trying to persuade the jury that one is more worthy than the other. If Erinn or Taj were in the final two, we might not be seeing the clue “strong alliances are questioned” as presented. Really, who knows with the way the CBS hype machine has been deluded for weeks after hearing Coach’s proclamations?

Note that SquidProQuo has found a new preview: http://resources.survivorphoenix.com/postnuke/html/index.php where Jeff says JT and Stephen turn on each other -- Stephen is clearly looking ahead to the jury vote and he's mad that he'll "look like a villain" vs. JT (because of the Coach vote).

As for the “carefully constructed lie”... well, interpretation of that one is still very much wide open.

Let’s have a look at what each of the four finalists are saying about themselves:

The first challenge of the finale is the Spider Challenge.

Note that JT is very gung-ho right off the bat in this challenge while Erinn is rather lackadaisal. JT looks like a heavy favourite to win this challenge as it’s quite physical and there’s a lot of running, so it would seem that the only question is whether he gets locked up long enough on the puzzle portion at the end to prevent him from winning immunity. I’ll go with JT as the winner of this challenge.

The F4 boot? With the “shock vote” term being tossed out, I’m leaning towards Taj as the boot. Stephen might be a real seismic shock vote, but I’m more apt to believe that Stephen and JT are the final two with the potential for long time alliance partners turning on each other as we’ve been hammered over and over with the storyline of JT/Stephen bonding together and planning the game. JT/Erinn, Erinn/Taj or JT/Taj wouldn’t have the same kind of hype, in my opinion.

Jeff is also promising a “betrayal” of some sort in the finale. Having JT/Stephen go on and boot Taj instead of Erinn would count as a betrayal, I’d say.

Finally, are we going see a build-the-fire tiebreaker? We’ve been repeatedly shown Stephen successfully starting a fire so does this translate into a F4 tiebreaker fire-off between him and Taj?

Next, we don’t have any scenes of the F3 challenge. Historically, it’s been an endurance or balancing sort of challenge so we’ll go with that. JT has usually done well in endurance type of challenges so far this season, so we’ll go with him as the winner – especially if you tie it in with what Sylvester mentioned earlier about the idea that JT says the title quote to Stephen while negotiating a deal after Erinn throws in the towel.

With all the circumstantial evidence so far gathered heavily in favour of a Stephen-JT final two, Erinn is the obvious boot choice here in third place.

So. Who wins the final vote? We, the viewer, have been seeing a brilliant performance from Stephen all game through his confessionals and through what the editors choose to show us; he seems to be, on the surface, the mastermind behind the Jalapao alliance. But what gives me pause is that we’ve seen a couple of post-ouster interviews (Sierra and Debbie in particular come to mind – Debbie said, “Stephen came across as a follower of JT”) where the bootee said that they were surprised to see how Stephen was playing the game. This suggests to me that Stephen has not shown what he can do to the other Survivors and may have been too subtle about what he did to manoeuvre himself to the final two. Will the others respect his game-play over JT’s more obvious dealings with the jury members?

From TDT:
Projected votes for JT – Taj, Coach, Debbie, Tyson, Brendan (personally, I’d give Taj’s vote to Stephen as we’ve been shown more interaction between these two than between Taj/JT)
Projected votes for Stephen – Erinn, Sierra

TDT’s projection – JT wins 5-2
Pepe’s projection – JT wins 4-3

Let’s see what other discussions are going on about the game that might shed some light on how the finale would unfold.

Dabo has a thread on Jury Vote Assessment. This is a good analysis of Jiffy’s assessment on the final four and how he views they’ve been playing the game, plus dabo throws in some questions to analyze how the jury may be leaning. From Jiffy:

J.T. – If he gets to the final two he probably wins...unless he goes up against...
TAJ – This would be quite a show down. Two of the most well liked people in the game.
STEPHEN – Best bet is to go up against Erinn, who he could probably beat.
ERINN – A long shot due to her betrayal – hard for her to get votes from the former Timbira members on the jury. Might be smart to take her all the way to the end.

All four had strong strategies to get themselves to the final four. Erinn positioned herself to piggyback and save herself once it became obvious she was not welcome in the dominant Timbira alliance. JT has been fun and easygoing but willing to blindside anyone if it would improve his chances. Stephen has been the mastermind of the Jalapao Three who managed to take them from underdogs to topdogs while obliterating the Timbira. Taj formed an early and creative cross-tribal alliance, partnered wisely with Stephen and was instrumental in playing the Timbira dynamics to break the Timbira, has remained well liked throughout.

sol throws in an unlikely – but possible – scenario discussing about Taj asking for the HII back. Question is whether it’s too late to use the HII at this point (I believe it is).

In summary, this is what I’m leaning towards:
F4 challenge – JT wins
F4 boot – Taj
F3 challenge – JT wins
F3 boot – Erinn
F2 finalists – Stephen and JT
Winner – JT by a 4-3 score.

So... what do y’all think? Hop on over to dabo’s Vote Thread to tell us your picks who will go out in what order.

What’s next after this Survivor? How about a trip over to Western Samoa as brought to us by OFG? I’m still holding out hope that if there’s a pseudo-celebrity on this edition, it’ll be Jack “The Throwin’ Samoan” Thompson who is from Samoa. Hopefully Jack still has the giant Afro he was famous for when he was in the NFL.

Thanks for a great season, folks!

Stinky Musings <--- blog's been updated!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... Outfrontgirl 05-16-09 1
   RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... sylvester 05-17-09 6
   RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... SquidProQuo 05-17-09 7
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... whoami 05-16-09 2
   RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... Outfrontgirl 05-16-09 3
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... dabo 05-16-09 4
 GREAT JOB, Pepe!!! Flowerpower 05-16-09 5
   RE: GREAT JOB, Pepe!!! SquidProQuo 05-17-09 8
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... michel 05-17-09 9
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... samboohoo 05-17-09 10
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... Outfrontgirl 05-18-09 11
   RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... PepeLePew13 05-18-09 12
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... Brownroach 05-18-09 13
   RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... Georjanna 05-18-09 14
 RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivo... kingfish 05-18-09 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-09, 08:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Woohoo Pepe!

So much to present, so well organized and very entertaining!

I agree JT is the man on the spider challenge. He would have to choke badly on the puzzle, and he hasn't choked in the past.

This cap is interesting to me:

Erinn's face is not shown. Taj is working but not looking impressive.
JT is emerging at the end like a winner.
Stephen looks likes he's caught in his own net.
Symbolic, or misdirection?

Thanks so much for stepping up to do the last SOTS. It helped me put all the clues in perspective.

sylvester 555 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-17-09, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sylvester Click to send private message to sylvester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Great SOTS Pepe!

I agree with you on pretty much everything. Go JT!

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-17-09, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
I just noticed -- I think those are Taj's shorts are in the background of the shot of JT coming out of the net tunnel. (You can see it better in some of the other vidcaps). Looks like he's "lapped" her and way ahead of the pack.

whoami 2936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-16-09, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail whoami Click to send private message to whoami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Thanks PePe for the SOTS.
Sure is a lot of analysis about how the clues play out. Have we not been misdirected before, or been over hyped by the editors in the past?

05-16-09, 09:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
>>>Have we not been misdirected before, or been over hyped by the editors in the past?

Naah, I'm nothing like that has ever happened.

and yet I keep falling for it ...

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-09, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Fantastic finale SOTS! Excellent!

The vote thread is pretty wild, should be a pretty good show tomorrow night.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-09, 11:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "GREAT JOB, Pepe!!!"
GREAT job, Pepe! You have been on top of your game this season, and we are the ones that have reaped the benefits! Thanks so much for all of your work, it's so appreciated! And, I REALLY hope that you are right! I have given up trying to peg the jury votes long ago...with all of the Christy's and her evil step sisters and all! HA! I would love to see JT win it, but I am thinking perhaps it's Stephen...both are indeed worthy, imo. Should be a fun conclusion!

Sincerely,

FloPo

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-17-09, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: GREAT JOB, Pepe!!!"
Yes, you are awesome Pepe. I'm a newbie poster but longtime lurker and I've always enjoyed your posts and all the other great minds on SB!

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-09, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Great job Pepe. You keep hitting homeruns! Thank you for your dedication all season long to something as important to these boards as the SOTS.

Thank you for the shout-out!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-09, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Excellent Job, Pepe! Thank you so much for doing this (and to all of the SOTS writers).

I am fine with any scenario, although an Erinn win would be my least favorite. But then again without her, we wouldn't have the Jalapaos anywhere near the finals.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

05-18-09, 04:00 PM (EST)
11. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
I cracked up when the one person I thought wouldn't say the title line, did.
All in all, excellent job on calling how it all went down!

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-09, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Thanks! I only missed on how many votes I thought Stephen would get.

Really... my SOTS was only as good as the discussions and threads that were put out there, and there were many excellent discussions going on that made my job that much easier in doing the SOTS, so it was a real team effort all around. Kudos to everyone for helping nail down how the finale would go down in order for me to make the predictions that I did.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-09, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Belated compliments on a great Finale SOTS, Pepe.

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-18-09, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-09 AT 00:51 AM (EST)

It was a truly remarkable SOTS, Pepe.

And I've noticed that it has, quite deservedly, traveled to other boards.

I'd also like to note that, although she certainly wasn't J.T.s only champion here (or, perhaps, not even his first), Flowerpower was his most vocal. So, (despite her vote in that thread), I'd like to add my congratulations to her for her early and astute recognition of the good ol' boy's winning ways.

I think it was an outstanding Season. On CBS and on Blows. And the excellent work by so many here was not the least of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much.

Thank you,

G

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-09, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: State of the Spoiling - Survivor Tocantins - FINALE"
Nice call, Pepe. You got everything but the exact vote count.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •