The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-01-09, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
Not sure if this warrants separate discussion or not. But I think it can get lost from week to week, so maybe it's good to have a separate thread.

Erinn talked last night about having the clue to the idol, but not believing it was in the tree mail stand.

1. We do know that Taj and Stephen found the Jalapao idol.

2. We know that they know that Brendan found the Timbira idol and didn't use it. We also know that Taj, Stephen (and most likely JT and Erinn) know that Brendan had it and didn't use it. Sierra's knowledge is moot at this point.

3. We know that Joe and Erinn checked the tree mail after Brendan found the idol, but before Brendan didn't use it.

4. We don't know for sure that anyone has looked at the tree mail location since Brendan was booted.

5. We don't know about the fake idol that Joe found.

6. We know that Exile keeps providing clues leading to the tree mail stand.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... Snidget 05-01-09 1
   RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... samboohoo 05-01-09 3
 RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... jbug 05-01-09 2
 RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... kingfish 05-01-09 4
   RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... SquidProQuo 05-01-09 5
       RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... emydi 05-01-09 6
   RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... Brownroach 05-01-09 7
       RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... Georjanna 05-01-09 8
           RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... vince3 05-01-09 9
               RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... dabo 05-01-09 10
                   RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... vince3 05-01-09 13
 RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... Outfrontgirl 05-01-09 11
   RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... michel 05-01-09 12
       RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Kn... Georjanna 05-01-09 14
 Questions: michel 05-04-09 15
   RE: Questions: kingfish 05-04-09 16
   RE: Questions: Brownroach 05-04-09 17
       Agree (sort of) dabo 05-04-09 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
I thought Erinn implied they had been checking the tree mail stand since Brenden's boot as the clues still lead there, but there isn't anything there.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
I can't remember without watching, but I thought when she was referring to "we checked tree mail," she was referring to herself and Joe. I just wish we had been given something, anything from the producers showing them checking tree mail after Brendan left.

There is just part of me that thinks the producers have finally pulled one over on the contestants here.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
But while on EI Erinn said something about having looked 'several times' at the tree mail location and not finding another idol. Didn't she?

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
And, for some misguided (I think) reason, Stephen thinks that at some point another HI will be available.

This reasoning apparently didn't sit too well with Erin.

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-01-09, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
One other thing that I thought was interesting from one of the Ponderosa clips is that Sierra evidently tried to warn C/D/E that Taj had a HII, but they didn't believe her. Here's the section from James Barber's Insider transcripts:

Brendan: I don't understand why the 4 Timbira didn't get back together and go after Taj when they know Taj has the idol.

Sierra: No one believed me.

Brendan: Really?

Sierra: You know what I told Coach right before Tribal? Taj has an idol, hony. Use me to blindside her tonight because everyone thinks I'm going home. Use me. Instead, Jalapao was smarter and used me to blindside you (Tyson).

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
LAST EDITED ON 05-01-09 AT 12:11 PM (EST)

well that would have been a great blindside too but, unfortunately, the idol would still be there, and then Stephen (or JT) could have then used the idol then knowing Timbira was "back together"

It would have been even better (for Timbira) if Stephen had gone. One for idol and two bc he's a more strategic player than Taj, although I think Taj is playing a better social game.

Timbira really self destructed....

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
I think it's misguided too.

I guess the question is: what has to happen before they make another idol available? I think an idol has to get officially played before another one is put into circulation. Yes, everyone either knew or suspected that Brendan had an idol, but since he walked off with it in his pocket, it never became a matter of fact.

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-01-09, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
In Micronesia, when Jason left the Game with the Idol still in his pocket, another (the one that Amanda unearthed at camp and later played) was put in play.

I think.

So, who knows? But, making up the rules as the Game is being played seems to have worked out well for MB and Company up until now.

G

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
The HII that Amanda dug out and used was first Ozzy's, then Jason's...... and neither of the boys figured out how to pull the pin......

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
I seem to recall reading after Ozzy was voted out that when a player is voted out with a Hidden Immunity Idol in their possession that idol is retired and another is put into play.

But of course they can change-up the rules every season if they want, and the HII rules have changed a few times since the first one was introduced.

I wish I could find a good cap of the treemail statue this time, which is a big carved head with a "grass" skirt from the bottom of the head to the ground covering the entire base structure.

This was clue #7 that Stephen found after Brendan was voted out:

IF YOU WANT SALVATION
AND TO BE SUPERIOR
INSPECT THE HUGE CRANIUM
IN ITS POSTERIOR

Obviously, as Stephen assumed, this could refer to the hidey hole concealed by the grass skirt on the backside of the statue where the HII was previously hidden. But to me "inspect the huge cranium" suggests there may be another hidey hole in the head itself where an idol may be hiding.

But if there is and no one finds it then it won't really matter.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
That was kinda what I was saying. Ozzy had the HII, failed to play it. HII returned to ExI. Jason goes on the Race for the Idol, finds it, also fails to play it. HII returns to ExI again. Amanda gets sent and goes on the Race for the Idol, but her last clue tells her to look around the flagpole back at camp. She somehow manages to get it, and then pulls the pin to save herself.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
We don't know
When the idol expires. In PEI with a F2, it was good through the F4 TC.
In seasons with a F3 such as Fiji and China, and probably Gabon, it's been good through F5. The idea seemed to be good for all but the last elimination.

Exception, with the first appearance, in Guatemala, Gary's was good through F5.
I can't remember with Cook Islands, as Yul never played it.
Also forget with Fans vs. Faves, but I think that season was meant to be F3 except that Jonathan and James were taken out and they didn't have enough players. So I believe the idol rules, which the players see from the beginning even if we don't -- would have been set up for F3.

Idol being rehidden -
N/A in PEI, Cooks, because the finder kept possession.

In Fiji, the first where an idol was in each camp, both were found pre-merge. One was played by Alex, at merge. and I don't think it was rehidden, was it? Yau Man's was played near the end of its life but not quite), and I believe not rehidden.

China, two idols, one each camp, James left with both.

Fans vs Faves, one idol in play, at Exile, similar to Gabon, it did get rehidden, as it would have in PEI and the Cooks (per those rules).

So far, in seasons where there are two idols out there, maybe that's considered plenty, and if one leaves with a player, the one still in play becomes the sole idol.

They did run the risk of having two idols left in play until F4 or F5 (whichever), which would be bizarre if yet another person had individual immunity. I guess anyone else would be SOL.

But I don't see why they would put another idol in at F8, and with such an easy hiding place. Too much potential immunity to make for a good ending, I think.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
In Fiji, the first season with 2 idols, the horsemen played their idol when they expected Alex was being voted out. That idol was rehidden and Earl found it. He handed it to Jeff at F5 when it expired.

In China, James left without playing either idol and none were rehidden.

In Micronesia, even Amanda's idol was rehidden but Parvati preferred suntanning because she knew she didn't need it. There was only 1 idol in play at a time and it expired at F5.

So, with 2 idols, I think they learned from Fiji and decided not to return a new one in play. But, again, the players are expected to play witouth knowing the rules. That is idiotic on Burnett's part.

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-01-09, 11:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The Hidden Idol(s) - What We Know and Don't Know"
But, again, the players are expected to play witouth knowing the rules. That is idiotic on Burnett's part.

I agree. Stephen knew that Brendan had found the Idol. And there has been no hint that he, or anyone else, suspected (or, in Stephen's case, worried) that Brendan had passed it to someone else before his boot. Yet, he still was anxious to see the Clue when he last visited Exile. So, whatever the HII rules were for Tocantins, they had to be, at best, vague on the point of its status when it exited with a player: Stephen is no slouch at the details. Or so we've been led to believe.

But, even though I know that the host doesn't seem to need an excuse for overstatement, I'm worried. Because, in the last two (Jeff Probst-narrated) Full Promos, we've been promised that both Stephen's and Erinn's experience during Exile would "change the way" they played the Game and alter their lives. And we've seen nothing that would justify those dramatic pronouncements except - should there be a rehidden Idol - their dismissal of that 7th Clue.

And dabo's post (above) isn't helping.

G

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-09, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Questions:"
We know that the idol is presently considered Stephen's. We know that Taj thinks it's her idol and she knows where it is. What happens if she simply decides to take it back?

In previous seasons, when Crystal found Sugar's idol for example, a staff member could step in and, off the air, remind Crystal of the rules that the idol cannot be stolen. Here, Taj wouldn't even consider it as stealing. If someone steps in, he isn't simply reminding Taj about a rule but he'd have to inform her that no, it isn't her idol. Wouldn't that be considered influencing the game? Any ideas on what would happen?

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-09, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Questions:"
I suspect that if Stephen was confronted directly by Taj with a demand (request?) that he return it to her, and reminded that he was only keeping it hidden for her, and if he wasn't in a panic about being eliminated in the next TC, that he would give it up to her.

But I don't see much possibility that Taj will feel very threatened before Debbie and Erin are booted, and by then the HII will have expired.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-09, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Questions:"
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-09 AT 10:51 AM (EST)

I think that since Steven has possession of the idol, if Steven decides to tell Taj he is not going to give the idol back to her, she can't do anything about it.

However...he would be reneging on their understanding. Taj did find the idol and she gave it to Steven understanding that he is holding it for both of them (and also for JT's use if necessary). So if she took it back without telling him I don't think the producers would view it as stealing. And I don't think Steven could do anything about it because he never told Taj "it's mine now, you have no claim to it at all."

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-09, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Agree (sort of)"
By my understanding of the Survivor rules: Possession is 9/10th of the law. Even though they do not prevent players from searching through other players personal bags, everything in those bags are regarded as that player's personal property and cannot be stolen from them. That includes the HIIs and whatever other souveneirs they may have collected.

However, you have a point, it may be a moot issue should Stephen not make an issue of it.

Survivor production is almost Bennish when it comes to parsing terms.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •