The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Voice alone or voice + personality?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

EMT135 52 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-07-04, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMT135 Click to send private message to EMT135 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Voice alone or voice + personality?"
During auditions, Simon repeatedly stated, "This is a singing competition." Is it? Do you base your decision on voice alone or are you looking at the contestants as a whole?

The link Kiki posted to the MSNBC seems to indicate most voters focus on aspects of the comepetitors' personalities as much, if not more than their talent. Style, sense of humor, maturity, appearance and even geography seems to play a big part in why we vote the way we do.

So my question is this: Do you vote soley based on singing ability, or the whole package?
And would your choice be different if you voted the other way?

Based on voice alone, I would choose LaToya. To my ear, she's smooth and has been relatively consistent through the weeks. But for me, her personality is a bit flat. Just doesn't seem to be much there.

Looking back, I believe Amy Adams had a good enough voice and personality to suit my tastes. Now that she's gone, my next choice would have to be George EVEN THOUGH his grainy voice isn't my particular favorite. He's been consistent and has an endearing quality LaToya seems to be lacking.

As the competition narrows, it seems (at least this season) we may either end up placing all the emphasis on what sounds good to our individual ear, or we may end up compromising on voice in favor of what we prefer in their personalities.

EMT

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... brvnkrz 04-07-04 1
   RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... I_AM_HE 04-07-04 4
       RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... brvnkrz 04-07-04 6
           RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... Coconut 04-07-04 8
           RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... nailbone 04-07-04 10
           RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... AugustGirl 04-07-04 13
               RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... BriarRosie 04-08-04 29
           RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... I_AM_HE 04-07-04 16
       RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... lyrker 04-08-04 25
 RE: Voice alone or voice personal... ropefish_3 04-07-04 2
 RE: whole package zombiebaby 04-07-04 3
 RE: Voice alone or voice personal... greenmonstah 04-07-04 5
   RE: Voice alone or voice personal... EMT135 04-07-04 7
       RE: Voice alone or voice personal... zombiebaby 04-07-04 9
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... callalilly3000 04-07-04 11
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... nailbone 04-07-04 12
   RE: Voice alone or voice personal... AugustGirl 04-07-04 15
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... managerr 04-07-04 14
   RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... StarryLuna 04-07-04 17
       Not buying either! callalilly3000 04-07-04 18
       RE: Voice alone or voice personal... shedevil 04-07-04 19
           RE: Voice alone or voice personal... kelli_blue 04-07-04 20
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... VirginiaIsForMe 04-07-04 21
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... So_Opinionated 04-08-04 22
   RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... brvnkrz 04-08-04 23
       RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... So_Opinionated 04-08-04 24
   RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... calamityc 04-08-04 27
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... lyrker 04-08-04 26
   RE: Voice alone or voice personal... Karennz 04-08-04 28
       RE: Voice alone or voice personal... theincrediblehugey 04-10-04 30
 RE: Voice alone or voice + personal... Shakes TheClown 04-10-04 31

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-07-04, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
I'm a whole package kinda girl. I probably would have voted for Amy til the end had she stayed and I think George has it too. I agree that Latoya by far has the best voice to me, her personality is a little flat. But I do think she will be very successful whether she wins or not. I like the perky peeps more and that may cause me to keep my ears open a little more for them. I think and idol should have thw whole package.

if you don't have something nice to say, come sit next to me.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
so how many times did you vote for JPL last night comrade?

for me, it's both. singing is preferable, but the honest truth is that apart from a couple very good ones, and a couple very bad ones, most people are in the middle, so personality breaks the tie and even can bump someone from the "OK-Good" to the "Good-Great" category.

that's why i vote for JPL. he's "as good as anyone" but Latoya on a night to night basis and he's the most fun

04-07-04, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"

no response, I failed in my duties. But in my defense, yesterday was a really really really bad day. On top of that I insulted IceCat,ignored the PG-13 rule and challenged Wheezy to a battle.

if you don't have something nice to say, come sit next to me.

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"

Fitting right in on OT, are we?

Canadian and can't vote.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
Holy crapbaskets, BnK! Even I didn't manage that much!

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
Geez, brvnkrz, next thing you know you'll be insulting newbies and getting threads locked.

*sniff* *sniff* I'm so proud!

BriarRosie 990 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-08-04, 08:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BriarRosie Click to send private message to BriarRosie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
Isn't that what we ultimately aspire to? LOL!

I saw an OT thread where she accepted a marriage proposal. My only thought was, "Dang it, I know she's gonna make us wear butt ugly bridesmaid dresses."

To stay on topic:

I vote for voice first, personality second. I think the only guy that should still be in the competition is George. The other two should have left LONG before Amy.

Camille butchered "Desperado". Therefore, the girl HAD to go.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Lori

Survivor: Adventurers Club
Outdrink, Outlaugh, Outkungaloosh!

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
All in one day? Eek! I'll give you a pass this time then

- wasn't keeping count, but I imagine i voted about 40 times last night. that'll cover for both our 100 5 votes

lyrker 203 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-08-04, 01:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lyrker Click to send private message to lyrker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
Totally OT... I've seen your sig hundreds of times but this is the first time I really stopped and looked at the animation. That's great! I love it.

</OT>

"Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be."
- Jeremy Schwartz

ropefish_3 84 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ropefish_3 Click to send private message to ropefish_3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
I vote for the whole package. I have no musical abilities and don't know pitch from Adam, so I can't just vote on voice. I know JPL doesn't belong in this competition, but I find him so entertaining and amusing that I must vote for him. La Toya has a wonderful voice, but I would much rather sit through a JPL concert than a La Toya one. She seems so blah to me. I think I'd rather see Matt Rogers sing than her.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: whole package"
Put it this way...

I can;t stand Celine Dion, personality, song choice etc. But I have to give her credit on an amazing voice.

I think this accounts for JPL's popularity, other than the millions of 13 year old girls who think he is cute. I like his performing, don't think his voice is all great. I like the goofiness.

Simon is a hypocrite about just a singing competion. He is also all about the looks. He has said to various contestants "You just don't look like an American Idol"

Although Iwould have loved to have seen Frenchie compete!

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
In the age of TV. mass media etc it would be almost impossible to vote on voice alone. A strong personality (strong meaning a trait that is pronounced) does create the edge between two contestents with equally great voices...

thinking of The Beatles...the quiet one, the cute one, the funny one...WAIT! What was Ringo?

EMT135 52 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMT135 Click to send private message to EMT135 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
I always thought Ringo was the "funny one" and John was the "smart one."

But since I'm known as the "dorky one" maybe someone else here (i.e. and "educated one") can clarify for certain.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
Ringo was the drummer...bah dump dah!
(sorry folks really bad joke!)

Actually you had it:

Paul=cute
George=quiet
John=smart
Ringo=funny

Showing ages now are we?

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-07-04, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
OK. I love Fantasia's voice. It is unique, different, (a little like Macy Gray, but only a little), however, I don't care for her personality. So, I will never vote for her. JPL has a terrible voice. It is painful to listen to him, however, he does have a great personality and is cute (in a Opie kinda way. So, I will never vote for him.

To be honest, I have only voted twice, during the semi-finals, once for Jennifer and the other for John Stevens. Will I vote again? Probaly not, becuase no one during the finals have WOWED me.

So, to sum it up, the person I vote for must both be unique in sound and personality before they capture my vote.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
I gotta go with the package, too. That's why I lvoe George so much, cuz he has it all.
LaToya has the voice, but not the personality.
Jennifer has the voice, but an unappealing personality. Personally, I think Fantasia has neither, but most disagree about her voice.
JPL has the personality, but not the voice (although I do think he has a unique sound).
The rest of the girls have a little of one or the other, but not both.
And Johnny Red has neither, at least not for this competition.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
Dang, Boner... you took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with everything you said.

I love George and even though I don't think America will vote for him to win, I think he will have a long and fabulous career. I'll buy any and every CD he puts out.

*smooches* to my Cabana boy.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-07-04, 05:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
Personality is more important to me than voice. I want someone relateable, someone with charisma. Then as long as they don't hurt my ears, I'd be fine.

I don't think Britney Spears or even Jessica Simpson can sing all that well in my opinion, but I find their songs going in my head and they do have that magical "it" factor. Singers like Madonna have made a killing because of their image and not her voice.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-07-04, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
I don't think Britney Spears or even Jessica Simpson can sing all that well in my opinion, but I find their songs going in my head and they do have that magical "it" factor. Singers like Madonna have made a killing because of their image and not her voice.

You hit the nail square on the head! I'm a total package type of person, I lvoed Amy Adams and her personality along with her voice. JPL on the other hand, annoys the carp out of me. I still don't know why. He definitely can't sing, but I'm not real crazy on his looks or personality either. I like Jennifer and George, both have good voices and personalities, although I don't know if I'd buy their album. I guess that's what really drives my vote. If I can imagine buying their album and enjoying it, I'll vote for them. So far this year, I'm not buying anybody.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-07-04, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Not buying either!"
Everything you said. Ditto!

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 09:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
I love JPL and his voice, what's carp?

kelli_blue 301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-07-04, 10:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kelli_blue Click to send private message to kelli_blue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
For me, the voice definately most important. Then comes their attitude and personality.
While I think JPL is a funloving, nice guy and good singer, I don't think he has what it takes (or is good enough) to be an American Idol.

VirginiaIsForMe 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 10:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VirginiaIsForMe Click to send private message to VirginiaIsForMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
look at popular music today, i'd say it's as much personality and image as it is the music, if not more. it's popular because people are buying the albums, and these are the same people voting for american idol. so there you go.

and i'd say a majority of americans, myself included, aren't music experts, we just like what sounds (and looks?) pleasing to us, which might not necessarily be the BEST singer. that's my take on the matter.

So_Opinionated 177 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 01:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail So_Opinionated Click to send private message to So_Opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
It is definitely the whole package for me. I like Fantasia voice but her diva attitude needs to be toned down. It is going to hurt her in the end.

If we compare Clay to Ruben. People have mentioned Clay's success over Rubens, well the truth of the matter is, Clay has a great outgoing personality. Ruben was not use to the attention and came across like a deer in the headlights every time he was in an interview following his winning. Clays was always talking, laughing and joking around as Ruben responded, Yes Ma'am or Yeah, Yeah. The Los Angeles Sunday Times critiqued his current concert and said "He does not have stage presence"

The winner of this show must have a good voice and stage presence to make it work. La Toya wll need to kick up her personality and Fantasia need to tone hers down if they are to continue. As for George, I personally don't like his voice or the dancing but he has that weird country boy, something that shows personality. Same for JPL he has a great personality so he will go far on the show.

Just being So Opinionated

04-08-04, 01:33 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
You're right on with everything opionated in your explanation of Clay/Ruben. And, Latoya/Fantasia, if they could meet in the middle they would be two great performers.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.

So_Opinionated 177 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 01:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail So_Opinionated Click to send private message to So_Opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
BrvnKrz
We must know figure out how to get our expert opinions to them. We can help them before it's too late.

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-08-04, 01:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
My opinion only, but the three that were safest had the best vocal performance for me, the three in the middle I would have to say two were there for fan appeal. I didn't think Diana or Jasmine did a worse job than John red. Thought he was right there neck and neck with Camille.
But from reading the boards and watching the show, everyone's different taste is really evident. Jon and John have the teenage girls, that may save them for weeks.

lyrker 203 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-08-04, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lyrker Click to send private message to lyrker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
So my question is this: Do you vote soley based on singing ability, or the whole package?
And would your choice be different if you voted the other way?

The whole package, definitely. It's a singing competition first but even Simon has admitted that if a person doesn't have the It factor, it doesn't matter how technically correct their singing or how lovely. They're uninspiring to watch and will never hit that peak you need to be a real celebrity.

My choice would stay the same. I vote based on how well each performer performs, each performance, starting with their vocals. All the It in the world can't save 'em if they get all pitchy or forget their words.

"Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be."
- Jeremy Schwartz

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 08:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karennz Click to send private message to Karennz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
Did Simon actually say "This is a singing competition"? Why, that little hypocrite.

Of course it's about more than just singing. As many people have mentioned here, the average Joe viewer isn't that knowledgable about what makes a good vs. bad singer. I know a little more than most viewers, but still am NO expert.

Yep, it's all about the total package -- which I'm sure I heard Simon say at least once before.

Charisma & chemistry are as important as vocal ability in a competition like this one. For example, I love John Stevens for the genre of music he's bringing to American Idol. But do I think he should win? No. He's not good enough...yet. He needs to work on breath & voice control, and really "feeling" what he's singing. Right now he looks and sings like a cardboard cutout. I think it'll come. But he's not there yet.

The winner of AI3 will be someone who can not only hold a note but also hold the interest of the audience.

theincrediblehugey 141 desperate attention whore postings

04-10-04, 02:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail theincrediblehugey Click to send private message to theincrediblehugey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Voice alone or voice personality?"
If American Idol were truly a singing competition, they'd have to actually judge the singing. You know, like in ice skating competitions. The judges would give two scores: one for technical merit (with mandatory point deductions for wrong notes and forgotten words), and one for artistic merit.

With America doing the actual judging, it's a variety show. That's entertainment!

JPL Fan

Shakes TheClown 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-10-04, 03:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Shakes%20TheClown Click to send private message to Shakes%20TheClown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Voice alone or voice + personality?"
i vote soley on shoe size george!!
last year rueben!
and have you seen the size of kelly's feet? WOW!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •