The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"great article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

kiki_k 1444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kiki_k Click to send private message to kiki_k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"great article"
on msnbc.com -- Please read -- I agree 100% with this -- hope everyone enjoys --

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4649112/

compliments of GeorgiaBelle

All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: great article Breezy 04-07-04 1
 RE: great article Ricky 04-07-04 2
 RE: great article managerr 04-07-04 3
   old news? kiki_k 04-07-04 10
 RE: great article popcorn_with_sam 04-07-04 4
 RE: great article qwertypie 04-07-04 5
   RE: great article managerr 04-07-04 6
 RE: great article grit 04-07-04 7
   RE: great article greenmonstah 04-07-04 8
 RE: great article unitabackup 04-07-04 9
   RE: great article tortfeasorette 04-07-04 11
       RE: great article unitabackup 04-07-04 12
           RE: great article tortfeasorette 04-07-04 13
               RE: great article unitabackup 04-07-04 14
               RE: great article managerr 04-07-04 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-07-04, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: great article"
They treat "Idol" like a horse race. Pick your horse, bet on your horse, cheer for your horse. And, in some cases, carry your horse across the finish line. Above all, tolerate no suggestion that your horse has shortcomings.

How very true. Thanks Kiki great article.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-07-04, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: great article"
Yep, in general I agree with the article. As has been mentioned on this board before though, you can't really change the voting strategy from voting for the Best to voting for the Worst. It would make it too easy for people to get together (say like on a message board like this) and sabotage the vote by all agreeing to pick the same person to vote off.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-07-04, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: great article"
Sorry, this article is old news. AI is a democracy. You vote according to your passion. Who are the people that see the Idols on tour? "The people". Who are the ones who go buy their CD's? "The people". This voting format results in great and shocking TV and helps 19E get the right singer.

kiki_k 1444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kiki_k Click to send private message to kiki_k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "old news?"
managerr -- you are missing the point about what I like about this article -- I am thrilled that the mainstream media is pointing out the problems with these fanatical fans who keep voting for their favs. regardless of whether they deserve to stay in, but because they are so "cute" etc. Also, I really like the descriptions of the performers -- for example, Diana as "robotic" -- as another poster observed, there was always something that bothered me about her, this article nailed it. Now, I don't know if I agree that the public should vote "off" someone as being fairer -- that is not why I liked the article. Furthermore, AI is NOT a democracy -- a democracy means one person one vote, not who has more time to waste hitting "redial" all night long.

compliments of GeorgiaBelle

All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way

popcorn_with_sam 154 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail popcorn_with_sam Click to send private message to popcorn_with_sam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: great article"
Thanks for sharing, Kiki. It is a good article. And it pinpoints what's been bugging me about Diana. I couldn't put my finger on it and the article calls her "robotic".

Thanks again!

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: great article"
Thanks for pointing this out. An excerpt from the article which I agree with (and will incur the wrath of JPL fans)

Jon Peter Lewis is a perfect example of a guy who really isn't very good, but has People anyway. They're the ones who fell in love with him during his bizarre performance of "A Little Less Conversation," which featured bad singing, apparent loss of motor control, and quite possibly appendicitis.

America cringed, but his People found his convulsive "dancing" adorable, and from here on out, they cannot be swayed by any number of mediocre showings. He could get up on stage in a given week, wave, spit on the floor, and leave, and they would dutifully vote for him for two solid hours. So far, they're keeping him in the game.

Maybe an answer is to have a free vote for those you want to stay in the competition but PAY for those you want to boot. (and have some weighted formula of bootee votes vs. safe votes). I know I would have paid good money to have Carmen booted last year and Camille this year (she is like totally ruining my ptte and anti-bootee games )

04-07-04, 12:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: great article"
I don't know, I don't like people voting for who you want to boot. That opens up all sorts of trouble. For all we know, Bill Gates despise Latoya London and then ends up single handedly eliminating her.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-07-04, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: great article"
Technology being what it is, AI could program their phones to accept a limited number of votes from any phone number. Maybe they would set it to between 6 - 10 to accomodate different household members. This would put an end to the people who use telemarketing phone dialers or the "People" who dial endlessly for 2 hours.

However, even though the technology exists, AI would never use it. I think it boosts their ego to be able to say, "This week we had 18 million votes!" "This week we had 22 million votes!" "This week we had 25 million votes!"

Thanks to greenmonstah for the sig pic!

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: great article"
Remember though, Ryan Seacrest has trouble with numbers that have a lot of zeros. The lower number may work to his advantage if he has to read it off of a cue card.

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: great article"
Excellent article, especially:

the People are systematically ruining it for everyone. The People must be stopped.

I can safely say that the most talented of all AI finalists have not won an American Idol yet and I expect the current one to be no differnet.

I'm just dreading the day when Fantasia gets voted off because of The People and, yet, the living prime example of what is wrong with the show, JPL, remains.

We all know that if it had been left up to The People that William Hung would be the winner of AI3, and I don't think words have been invented yet that describe how, er, special that is.

tortfeasorette 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tortfeasorette Click to send private message to tortfeasorette Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: great article"
This is going to date me, but the AI voting pattern reminds me of back in the day when MTV ran that "So You Wanna Be a VJ" Contest (or something like that). The first year they let the viewers pick the winner and they ended up with that weird freak Jesse (who was actually a prep school kid from Connecticut). MTV was so annoyed that they had to give this clown a year long show that they changed the rules the next year to limit the public's input so that they could actually pick a talented winner, not just an amusing freak.

So, why couldn't AI either limit the number of votes per phone number (which other shows already do) or combine the public eliminations with a judge elimination (like Nashville Star) until they get to the final five. That way you're more likely to get a final five who can actually sing. The "people" might mind, but I'm guessing the general public would be thrilled.

04-07-04, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: great article"
Wow, I remember that but I can't remember if I liked him or not.

Anyway, I like the idea of combining the "People" vote in with the judges votes. Combining that with a rotating music star (eliminate Randy) judge and a rotating/random industry judge (move Paula to guest host) I think that would be the ideal show.

Hopefully this would eliminate a "few" of the love letters or fans keeping the losers making a mockery of the show on every week.

I hope to God somebody is listening that can actually do something about this but I won't hold my breath. Since this show has incarnations all over the world, I severly doubt the formula will change BUT hopefully there might be a large exodus from the show (ratings) once they realize that JPL or Big Red or Camile are in the final 3.

tortfeasorette 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tortfeasorette Click to send private message to tortfeasorette Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: great article"
Can you imagine a JPL, Camile, Big Red final 3? Talk about a Murderer's Row! My dogs might enjoy howling along, though...

It's 8pm on Tuesday -- do you know where your song is?

04-07-04, 04:45 PM (EST)
14. "RE: great article"
Can I imagine? Yes

Will I imagine? No

If it happens, will I, like Elton John, throw the TV out the window? You betcha!

04-07-04, 05:25 PM (EST)
15. "RE: great article"
That would be awesome! It would be like Cupid, except that everyone got stuck with Robert!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •