The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-28-08, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
From CBS schedule.

Is someone besides Sugar going to bite the apple?

Certifiable Guest at Tribe’s Lodge

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 10-28-08 1
   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... emydi 10-29-08 3
 RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... SpotTheDifference 10-28-08 2
   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 10-30-08 4
 RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... CTgirl 11-02-08 5
   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... suzzee 11-02-08 6
 RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Flowerpower 11-03-08 7
   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 11-03-08 8
       RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 11-03-08 9
           RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 11-03-08 10
           RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... DedilyFlea 11-04-08 11
               RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 11-04-08 12
                   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 11-04-08 13
                       RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 11-04-08 14
                           RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... b1whois 11-04-08 15
                               RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 11-05-08 17
                                   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... gekidasa 11-06-08 18
                                       RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 11-06-08 19
                                           RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 11-06-08 20
                                               RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 11-06-08 21
                                                   RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Outfrontgirl 11-06-08 22
                                                       11th hour idea!! Brownroach 11-06-08 23
                                                           RE: 11th hour idea!! Outfrontgirl 11-06-08 24
                           RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden o... Brownroach 11-05-08 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

10-28-08, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
The members of the tribe that wins the RC all get iPods?

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-08, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
nope, just Shane's blackbery

SpotTheDifference 949 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-28-08, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SpotTheDifference Click to send private message to SpotTheDifference Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
It could just mean that someone else other than Sugar winds up in Exile. This person sees the choice, takes comfort (which includes apples), and makes the comment.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-30-08, 00:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
If Apple refers to a "temptation" - this could be the merge, or it could be some variation of the mutiny they did in the Cooks. Impossible to know without more verbiage.

My thinking being that a temptation would involve a shift in loyalties.

Of course if JAMES had said it, a woman be involved, a temptress, and possibly a snake -- who could be female.

Perhaps they think of a reason to bring James back as a special guest.

Re the ipods, we know from the CBS Fantasy point scoring that at some point they'll have a reward or challenge featuring NOW wireless devices. But an Apple product placement would have been a natural this season!

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-08, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
In an effort to leave no stone unturned this week, I am revisiting the title.

I am thinking that it refers to the mystery box at the merge-feast-which-isn't-really-a-merge-feast. They are all drinking and cavorting and skinnydipping and having a grand old time thinking they are one tribe and then bam they bite the apple (open the box) and have to reform tribes again.

Any other thoughts?

surfkitty sig shop 2007

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

11-02-08, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
I think if the box contains the choice or "apple" proposition, you're on the right track. I don't think it's merge buffs anyway, it's probably the tribe reshuffle or something that would lead to it. Perhaps the choice they make (and obviously they do) dictates that there is a tribe reshuffle leading to regrets and some wishing they hadn't chosen the "apple".

If I remember the story of Eden, the apple was said to be the forbidden fruit. The residents of Eden could have anything they wanted but the apple.

Maybe only some of the players chose the "apple" and they are the ones switched to the other tribe ultimately.

No idea just shooting some ideas while avoiding raking leaves. ugh

Agman camouflaged me for S17

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

11-03-08, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
Apple in the Garden of Eden

This could be referring to the feast that we know occurs, and which must happen by their collective choice....the feast is the temptation that they all "bit" into, without consideration of the conditions in the "box"....Temptations, actions, consequences.

Or, this title could also be a reference to a person, such as Sugar, for example Matty could say it in regard to her buddy buddy relationship with Ace, and then she proceeds to throw him to the wolves without giving him the benefit of the doubt...ex: "Sugar is an apple in the garden of eden and I am not going to trust her for a second"...

11-03-08, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
So while revisiting the title, we may as well combine what we know from the teasers and the vidcaps.

Teasers
-The tribes come together for a surfside feast with a tempting twist.

-The castaways decide to make a shocking sacrifice that many regret.

-One castaway takes the game into his own hands and lets the power go to his head.

So the teaser tells us that the feast includes a "tempting twist." The feast comes with a box, and I think the temptation is probably offered in the box.

I wrote in the teasers thread that the feast itself is probably not the temptation or choice. The producers want them to get full and drunk IMHO, and then open the box where they are tempted with a choice.

Because based on the box label,

there is no choice whether to feast. It doesn't say, for example, "as you have chosen to eat the apple instead of _____, enjoy, and when you're done you can look at the consequences of your choice."

The only choice in that message is how long to go on with the feast, but that choice won't change whatever they find in the box, and there is no punishment that I can see for feasting more rather than less -- other than if they have to perform something after opening the box they may not be up to it. For example, if there was an endurance challenge following an opportunity to get good and drunk and stuffed, it would suck for the people who over-indulged. But that's not a "tempting twist."

So the second clue says "the castaways" decide to make a "shocking sacrifice" - and that sounds like the Apple they choose to bite to me, and I think they make the choice after the feast.

I started to talk about that here, but really it should be in the teaser thread.

Flopo's idea of the apple as a person could well be a dual meaning. In the book of James Clement, the apple is always a woman ... and Sugar would be the most likely. Ever since her second trip to Exile, they've been figuring her as Eve, sitting and eating fruit in the garden of Eden (per her confessional, here I am in Eden) -- while her tribe is out in the cruel hungry world.

Eve committed two major sins -- one was to eat the apple herself, and the second was to corrupt Adam.

Again, we cannot expect that the contestants performed so as to make the analogies with the story as apt as the producers would have liked. That would have had to be scripted, and this is "reality." <cough>

11-03-08, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
The only choice in that message is how long to go on with the feast, but that choice won't change whatever they find in the box, and there is no punishment that I can see for feasting more rather than less

I think there *is* something cryptic about the message on the box. To me its tone suggests "Make sure you eat everything you can before you open this box, or you will be sorry that you didn't." Which to me suggests they've already made a choice, and the box gives them the result of their choice.

Maybe it says they won't get any more food for the rest of the game? There is something very final about the way it says "the feast is over".

11-03-08, 06:04 PM (EST)
10. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
LAST EDITED ON 11-03-08 AT 06:06 PM (EST)

That certainly could be. Like I said, there could have been a choice prior to the feast that we aren't shown.

I kind of don't think so, because I think the feast is a trick to lull them into a false belief, of merge, and what they expect to find in the box would then be their new buffs and information about where the merged tribe will live.

For them to be lulled, it would work better if there were no choice beforehand. We see how carefree they are, skinnydipping, how relaxed. Having made some mystery choice, they would be more guarded I think.

The point of the message that the feast is over once they open the box, may simply be that it defers their discovery of the true situation. Meanwhile, they drink and fraternize with the enemy, as at any merge feast, making plans for an individual game, no more tribes.

None of which would happen if they let them discover what's in the box before the feast is over. As they are all deprived of food and confident there's a merge, they would naturally prolong the feast until they're stuffed.

What would be funny in a sick way is if they were all immediately thrown into a challenge while drunk, but I don't think so. It would have to be the IC, and I think there is going to be a segment when they go back to the new camps, and give confessionals from both camps about how shocking and sucky it all is, before the IC. After which we will only be shown the losers as they figure out who to boot.

DedilyFlea 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-04-08, 05:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DedilyFlea Click to send private message to DedilyFlea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
>The only choice in that message
>is how long to go
>on with the feast, but
>that choice won't change whatever
>they find in the box,
>and there is no punishment
>that I can see for
>feasting more rather than less

>
>
>I think there *is* something cryptic
>about the message on the
>box. To me its
>tone suggests "Make sure you
>eat everything you can before
>you open this box, or
>you will be sorry that
>you didn't." Which
>to me suggests they've already
>made a choice, and the
>box gives them the result
>of their choice.
>
>Maybe it says they won't get
>any more food for the
>rest of the game?
>There is something very final
>about the way it says
>"the feast is over".

What if they hadn't opened the box? The box signifying the Apple? Would there have been a merge and a continuous feast? By opening the box they are then "punished" by new tribes?

>
>Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008
>

What if they hadn't opened the box? The box signifying the Apple? Would there have been a merge and a continuous feast? By opening the box they are then "punished" by new tribes?

11-04-08, 05:55 AM (EST)
12. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
I don't see any evidence that they have the option to NOT open the box. The instructions say to open it.

We aren't shown all the cues given these guys by production, but they are constantly telling the cast it's time to do this or that. They don't show up at challenges because they're wearing watches. They are told ...

and when the feast is over, if they ignored the box, someone would tell them it's required that they open it (which we would not see), and they would open it.

You cannot mutiny in this game unless the producers script an opportunity to mutiny.

The message on the box doesn't offer them a choice ... but they may find a choice in the box after they open it.

11-04-08, 12:28 PM (EST)
13. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
LAST EDITED ON 11-04-08 AT 01:10 PM (EST)

For one thing, they haven't been showing us any of the Tree Mails this season. Most likely the Tree Mail is the thing that convinces them there is a merge. So they are already expecting it when they arrive at the site and see the other tribe there.

I don't think they will be asked if they want to merge; the possibility of an actual merge is not part of the equation, imo.

But it's hard to say what will happen once they get there. It would be typical to allow them to just start feasting to make them feel comfortable about a merge. But I can't help thinking because of the message on the box that this time they get suckered into the feast when they didn't have to be and that eating the feast will have ramifications. Jeff says they "pulled one over on them", could they accomplish that with the exact same fake-merge trick as in any other installment?

We know they make some sort of "sacrifice" (a SHOCKING one); when does that happen? That seems to be the main question to figure out.

11-04-08, 03:51 PM (EST)
14. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
What I'm trying to say about the message on the box, in re all the spec that it's a trick to partake in the feast, is it says:

Open only after you are finished enjoying your feast ...

The label assumes they are going to have the feast, no "if you choose to feast."

So unless Jeff or the tree mail gives them some choice beforehand, the feast is given to them and there is no way they should be punished for eating it. In the Eden story, the punishment is for eating something they were told umpteen times - Do not eat, don't even think about it.

by the way, there was feasting in Eden, plenty of it, everything but the one fruit on the one tree. There was no deprivation in Eden. Thus the punishment for not being able to accept on little "no" in the midst of plenty.

How could it possibly be treated as a moral lapse to eat a feast that's set out for them when there is no warning whatsoever not to eat it? I feel like we're stuck on the idea that somehow they should not have eaten the feast and that means there will be a sacrifice.

We are not even considering that the box itself might hold the temptation or choice.

b1whois 126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-04-08, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail b1whois Click to send private message to b1whois Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
i keep thinking that the "tempting twist" is some sort of choice between immunity and comfort. instead of immunity they could get some sort of a "pass" at the next TC they go to, like they did in the first ep with the race up the hill.
before the show started jeff said that some people definitely make a mistake when they chose comfort. we have not seen this yet so maybe this is the opportunity. the "shocking sacrifice" is that some chose comfort over immunity. and maybe the last clue is about someone who takes the game into their own hands by choosing immunity, and then they let the power go to their heads, maybe by gloating at the IC. (the comfort could be partaking in the feast, but since it looks like everyone participates, maybe the comfort is something else)

11-05-08, 01:22 PM (EST)
17. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
before the show started jeff said that some people definitely make a mistake when they chose comfort. we have not seen this yet so maybe this is the opportunity. the "shocking sacrifice" is that some chose comfort over immunity.

I am thinking the same thing, this week looks very much like when this would happen, as it says some people will regret the decision they made.

Plus Jeff says they really "pulled one over" on the players, so I find it hard to believe it's just the standard fake-merge where they all get to eat and hang out and then they get a message that says "sorry, no merge."

I don't know if the choice would be comfort vs. immunity but you may be on the right track. Exile Island might also play into it.

gekidasa 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-06-08, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gekidasa Click to send private message to gekidasa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
What if 1. they think it's a merge, and 2. the choice/sacrifice refers to people (I'm thinking onion alliance) choosing to drop out of the inmunity challenge for extra food or whatever else is offered, because they are still under the assumption that there is ONE tribal council and that they have the majority and are safe... only to find out after they challenge that they are being split into new tribes and that some of them aren't really safe amont the people going to tribal?

11-06-08, 06:01 PM (EST)
19. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
Seems like something they might do -- the only thing is that in the IC Crystal has a yellow buff so it takes place after they've already been switched.

11-06-08, 06:06 PM (EST)
20. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
The JP promo shows Randy reading to them that's it's a new game.
They find out at the feast site after opening the box, it's pretty clear.

We also have the Marcus confessional about his playbook and a shot of Marcus and Crystal, which almost certainly is back at camp after the revelation, and before the IC. After the IC the action will be at Fang (losers), according to the usual format.

11-06-08, 06:25 PM (EST)
21. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
We still haven't pinpointed where the "sacrifice" fits in. It seems there's no choice inside the box, their fate is sealed by then. So what the heck is it?

I still think something may occur before the feast that they aren't showing us.

11-06-08, 07:08 PM (EST)
22. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
I know, I'm stumped. Because whatever it is, Charlie is still expecting merge buffs in the box, so if they did make a trade knowingly, it wasn't about the merge. Nor does it seem to be about the camp, because they are still at both.

We don't know if there's no choice inside the box. All we see is that they are reading something that tells them what's up from that point. They may have had a choice in-between opening the box and reading the scroll.

11-06-08, 08:06 PM (EST)
23. "11th hour idea!!"
Okay, b1 mentioned immmunity vs. comfort so it occurred to me it could go something like this:

They get to the "merge" site, the feast is a given -- but Probst tells them before they eat they can choose rocks to send one of them to Exile Island. That person will not get to consume the feast but will be immune at the next tribal council.

The Kotas think they have the numbers after merge so they aren't really interested. The Fangs are hungry. They vote down the idea so that they can all enjoy the feast together.

Hence the sacrifice.

Then when they open the box and find out not only is there no merge but the tribes have been reshuffled, some of them at least will rue not having opted for a chance to go to Exile Island and get the immunity.

Or something along those lines. We'll soon know.

11-06-08, 08:33 PM (EST)
24. "RE: 11th hour idea!!"
that's an interesting idea!
I haven't been too down with the "choosing comfort" coming into play per Jeff's quote because that quote was specifically about the choice at Exile, not the game. But could stretch it if it involves Exile, I guess!

11-05-08, 01:15 PM (EST)
16. "RE: S17 EP8: "Apple in the Garden of Eden" Air date Nov 6"
The label assumes they are going to have the feast, no "if you choose to feast."

The label assumes that they are already eating the feast; the box is placed in the middle of the food and they wouldn't see it unless they were eating. What I'm suggesting is, as you said, Jeff or the tree mail may have given them some choice beforehand between the feast and something else. If they chose the other option, they wouldn't see the box or have to deal with what's inside of it (maybe they'd get a different box, who knows).

In that scenario the feast would likely be made to look much more tempting of the two choices, so they'd be gambling on the contestants going for the feast.

Obviously it doesn't have to happen that way; yes the feast could be a given and the choice/sacrifice could come when they open the box. But I think it's possible we aren't being told the whole set-up.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •