The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-12-08, 07:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Hi folks... Please use this thread for new spoiling information on the location for Survivor 17 to be aired in the fall (I presume) of 2008.

Thanks! to UncleRich1 for bringing us the original announcement of the location - I'm starting a new thread so the correct information is shown in the title. Please do not bump the old thread.

Here's the information gathered so far:

DanieuBleau posted that the location is Gabon, West Africa and that filming will probably start in late June (not May 11th as originally reported - Jiffy's in the U.S. for the Survivor finale so he couldn't be in Africa then).

From a poster on the above link, some background on Gabon:

Gabon

This West African country with the Atlantic as its western border is also bounded by Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, and the Congo. Its area is slightly less than Colorado's. Most of the country is covered by a dense tropical forest.

Government: Republic.

History
The earliest humans in Gabon were believed to be the Babinga, or Pygmies, dating back to 7000 B.C., who were later followed by Bantu groups from southern and eastern Africa. Now there are many tribal groups in the country, the largest being the Fang peoples, who constitute 25% of the population.

Gabon was first explored by the Portuguese navigator Diego Cam in the 15th century. In 1472, the Portuguese explorers encountered the mouth of the Como River and named it “Rio de Gabao,” river of Gabon, which later became the name of the country. The Dutch began arriving in 1593, and the French in 1630. In 1839, the French founded their first settlement on the left bank of the Gabon estuary and gradually occupied the hinterland during the second half of the 19th century. The land became a French territory in 1888, an autonomous republic within the French Union after World War II, and an independent republic on Aug. 17, 1960.

Albert-Bernard Bongo became Gabon's second president in 1967. He changed his name to Omar in 1973, on converting to Islam. Strikes and riots led to a transitional constitution in May 1990, legalizing political parties and calling for free elections. In its first multiparty election in Dec. 1993, Bongo received just over 51% of the vote, while the opposition candidate alleged fraud and tried to establish a rival government.

In Dec. 1998, President Bongo, who had by then ruled the country for 31 years, was elected for an additional seven. Gabon lacks roads, schools, and adequate health care, yet the oil-rich country has lined the pockets of its ruler, who, according to the French weekly L'Autre Afrique, is said to own more real estate in Paris than any other foreign leader. Despite his reputation for corruption and authoritarianism, Bongo has a strong national following. In July 2003, the country's constitution was changed, allowing Bongo to be reelected indefinitely; that year, he changed his name again, to El Hadj Omar Bongo Ondimba. In Dec. 2005, he was reelected for another seven-year term.

(from infoplease.com)

A sample photo of Gabon from the above link:

A map of Africa - you can see Gabon on the west coast, right in the middle of the continent and it's right on the equator (can you say "Sunburn City?" I knew you could!):

Tribephyl posted this close-up of Gabon and outlined some possible Survivor-themed parks:

And as far as (survivorthemed)beach locations go we have ...
Akanda (540 KM2 Gabon's principal stopping off point for migratory birds)
Loango (1550 KM2 Elephants on the beach, surfing hippos, with humpback whale acrobatic offshore)
Mayumba (80 KM2 The most important nesting site for leatherback turtles on earth)
Moukalaba Doudou (4500 KM2 Relict savanna fauna such as waterbuck and jackal) and some protected areas like... Rabindogo, Wonga-Wongue and Ogooue.

(Thanks for digging this info out, Tribe!)

Further information posted by Danieu (This may be good for determining tribe names):

More on Gabon:

http://www.essortment.com/all/gaboninformatio_nof.htm

Ethnic groups: Bantu tribes including four major tribal groupings (Fang, Eshira, Bapounou, Bateke)

Administrative divisions: 9 provinces; Estuaire, Haut-Ogooue, Moyen-Ogooue, Ngounie, Nyanga, Ogooue-Ivindo, Ogooue-Lolo, Ogooue-Maritime, Woleu-Ntem

*Information obtained from the Central Intelligence Agency’s World Fact Book.

Some of Danieu's original information came from this link which has some incorrect information, but in turn linked to Wezzie's original hints as to the location for the next season. Can I just say that some of the peeps on that last thread are total morons? Canada infested with black flies and mosquitoes? Only at certain times of the year, but wouldn't be so bad in August which is when the ideal filming times would be - and besides mosquitoes are nothing compared to some of the things they have out there in tropical climates.

A stocking stuffer from Agman!
It will be a great day when every one of our schools get all the money they need while
the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to raise enough funds to buy a bomber.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Scarlett O Hara 03-12-08 1
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... PepeLePew13 03-24-08 2
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... toad8098 03-30-08 3
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Brownroach 03-31-08 4
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... UNCLERICH1 04-08-08 9
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... tribephyl 04-08-08 10
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... byoffer 04-09-08 11
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Brownroach 04-09-08 12
           RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... tribephyl 04-09-08 13
               RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Brownroach 04-09-08 14
                   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... UNCLERICH1 04-10-08 15
                       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... UNCLERICH1 04-10-08 16
                       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Brownroach 04-10-08 17
                       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... PepeLePew13 04-10-08 18
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... fullofgrace2470 04-03-08 5
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... dabo 04-07-08 6
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... byoffer 04-07-08 7
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... dabo 04-08-08 8
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Georgianna 04-29-08 19
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... PepeLePew13 04-29-08 20
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Georgianna 04-29-08 21
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Georgianna 05-15-08 29
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Runnr3003 04-30-08 22
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Georgianna 05-13-08 23
   Description of potential Gabon cont... Brownroach 05-13-08 24
       RE: Description of potential Gabon ... citywitch 05-14-08 25
           RE: Description of potential Gabon ... UNCLERICH1 05-14-08 26
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Dragonfire 05-14-08 27
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... sittem 05-14-08 28
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... sittem 06-03-08 32
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Georgianna 06-03-08 33
 RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... Georgianna 05-20-08 30
   RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... UNCLERICH1 05-27-08 31
       RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GAB... UNCLERICH1 06-03-08 34
 Production problems are starting to... Estee 06-05-08 35
   RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 06-05-08 36
   RE: Production problems are startin... byoffer 06-05-08 37
       RE: Production problems are startin... Estee 06-05-08 38
       RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 06-06-08 39
   RE: Production problems are startin... sittem 06-10-08 40
       RE: Production problems are startin... byoffer 06-10-08 41
           RE: Production problems are startin... Estee 06-10-08 42
               RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 06-11-08 43
                   RE: Production problems are startin... Runnr3003 06-11-08 44
                       RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 06-12-08 45
                           RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 06-15-08 46
                               RE: Production problems are startin... Sunny_Bunny 06-17-08 47
                                   RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 06-18-08 48
                                       RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 07-21-08 49
                                           RE: Production problems are startin... PepeLePew13 07-21-08 50
                                               RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 07-21-08 51
                                                   RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 07-24-08 52
                                                       RE: Production problems are startin... PepeLePew13 07-24-08 53
                                                           RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 07-25-08 54
                                                               RE: Production problems are startin... tribephyl 07-25-08 55
                                                                   RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 07-26-08 56
                                                                   RE: Production problems are startin... PepeLePew13 07-26-08 57
                                                                       RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 07-30-08 58
                                                                           RE: Production problems are startin... b1whois 08-04-08 59
                                                                               RE: Production problems are startin... UNCLERICH1 08-05-08 60
 Just resetting the margin Snidget 08-05-08 61

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-12-08, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Great work Pepe and tribephyl!! Who said that peeps here weren't into educating themselves on world geography!

And a special thanks to UncleRich for getting this subject started! I hope you keep coming back!

03-24-08, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Bumping. Info is slow to come in, but it's still trickling in on how tough it is to get into Gabon by plane and other tidbits. I expect this thread to really pick up when the current season is over.

toad8098 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-30-08, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toad8098 Click to send private message to toad8098 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-08 AT 11:37 AM (EST)

I was always hoping Survivor would eventually go back to Africa.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Here's President Bongo's MySpace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=30834224

Bleauin' ze bleus eaué, coeurtesie oeuf agmanne

UNCLERICH1 115 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-08, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail UNCLERICH1 Click to send private message to UNCLERICH1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Hi Brownroach: I just contacted President Bongo on his Myspace page and ask for Him to be a friend of mine!! If He accepts me as a friend,I will ask him about Survivor 17 information. President Bongo is 36 years old, has 571 myspace friends,is from Iceland,loves to dance,loves all kinds of music,is bi sexual,and is single!! HIS Myspace e-mail url is
http://www.myspace.com/presidentbongo
anyone who wants to contact me or become my friend on myspace, my url e-mail page is
http://www.myspace.com/unclerich1
I told all my Survivor friends that I'm a friend first and a spoiler second, and they will tell you what they can about the show !!! I want to be your friend!!!! thanks UNCLERICH1

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-08, 08:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-08 AT 09:13 PM (EST)

Gah...I hate to be the poohead but ummm ...I'm not quite sure what the relevance of a 30something bisexual white guy from iceland has to do with the nation of Gabon, other than he partially shares a moniker of similarity to the reigning president.

The real President of Gabon, El Hadj Omar Bongo Ondimba, was 31 when he took office back in 1967. And he's not from Iceland.
From Wiki

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

04-09-08, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Gah... details.

I wondered what that Myspace thing was all about.

04-09-08, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-08 AT 03:31 PM (EST)

Well I was assuming that everyone would realize that I posted that as a joke.

I guess it didn't quite go over as planned.

04-09-08, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
oh you little.....roach.

Don't you know there's no joking in preseason spoiling.

04-09-08, 05:41 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
I know, I know, you little...tribe.

But since there isn't any actual spoilage of the show yet, I figured some levity wouldn't hurt while we pore over maps of Gabon (or Gaybon, as "President Bongo" refers to it).

04-10-08, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail UNCLERICH1 Click to send private message to UNCLERICH1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Hi BrownRoach & tribephyl: I'm trying to do my best at spoiling,and I went with what BrownRoach had posted! I spent some time researching President Bongo's MySpace page, and I noticed the (question marks)ON Iceland,his age,he's bi,and especially Gaybon! I just replied to what I had read on MySpace, If it is true or not, I don'T know!!! I don't mind the April Fools joke by BR, BUT I do mind the wet noodles being thrown at me by you tribephyl !! I still want you the spoilers of TV WORLD MESSAGE BOARDS to be my friends on MySpace!! I gave you my link above, I LOVE ALL OF YOU....GOODBYE MY FRIENDS

04-10-08, 12:03 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
PS/ President Bongo just accepted me as a friend on MySpace!!!

04-10-08, 12:47 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Hi Uncle Rich - sorry, I really didn't mean to mislead you or anyone else. I figured everyone would realize how unlikely it is that the actual president of a country would maintain a MySpace page -- plus, the MySpace person does not at all jibe with the facts that Pepe LePew posted about the real President Bongo.

Next time I will put a smiley when I am kidding.

04-10-08, 02:07 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
You really were serious in thinking that it was for real and pursued the lead as if that was the real President Bongo? Wow.

This ranks right up there with mavsfan falling for IceCat's "The Legend of the Sea-Faring Kangaroos" back in the spring of 2001 during Survivor: Australia...

I know you mean well, UncleRich, and that you've posted some good info, but let's face it... there's more than a little difficulty going on in following the spoiling guidelines on this forum. And you've made a 'goodbye cruel world' post before.

fullofgrace2470 168 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fullofgrace2470 Click to send private message to fullofgrace2470 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
I work at a prep school with a great basketball program. One of our players is from Gabon, and it was very difficult to get him into the US because the officials were corrupt. He had a hard time getting a student visa, and then getting out of Gabon. Mail takes a LONG time to get into Gabon, I'm not sure about getting out. I know him fairly well, so I'll ask him a little bit more about his home country. He's been here for 2 years and hasn't been home since-his brother was here first and had a host family, and then they became his host family after he arrived.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-08, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"

Another map with better perspective on borders. Even though a coastal or island setting is possible, I wouldn't rule out an interior park (river/lake) location.

04-07-08, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
I found a site (http://www.gabonart.com/) that has an interactive map of the national parks of Gabon (click Travel Diary).

Here is the map:

Clicking on each map brings up quite a lot of info about the parks.

I am discouting anything in the north west as being too close to civilization (they must try to avoid this)

Loango (on the coast) looks spectacularly beautiful, with hippos playing in the surf. Shipping gear there by barge would be feasible for Survivor. Is going to the beach in Africa kind of cheating? (too much like the Pacific islands).

Can some of these parks be too dangerous for Survivor? Is beach or inland safer? Several parks show gorillas, crocs, elephants, water buffalo (hey there Barney boy! /Fred Flinstone). Sounds dangerous, but Survivor Africa had lions last time.

Minkebe in the north looks like a brilliant park. I would love trying a canoe trip in such a place. But is it too mountainous and cool to get the requisite Survivor bikini blurs?

Gabon looks very beautiful. I am already getting excited about such an exotic location.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-08, 01:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
There were crocs in Oz, wild elephants and lions in Kenya, for that matter there were some really deadly snakes in Borneo (the castaways were restricted from going to the swamp for that reason). Some places are too dangerous to shoot a TV show, certainly, but you can bet they take whatever precautions are reasonable including having some protection from wild predators. If a polar bear were to unexpectedly show up in equitorial Africa, well how would they possibly have been expecting that? Hippos are really scary though, that might put them off.

Georgianna 514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-29-08, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Georgianna Click to send private message to Georgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
In this USA Today interview provided by Survivor Fever, Jeff Probst confirms that the site for S17 is 'on the equator', 'very remote (the animals are not used to people)' and adds that a Challenge could 'begin on one side of the equator and end on the other'.

Note: Be sure to scroll down to the text below the video link. I almost missed it. Among its tidbits:

Mr. Probst's contractual agreement with Survivor now extends to the completion of S20 ...

His relationship with Julie Berry 'ended several months ago' and they do not remain friends ....

And, his idea of a vacation is a road trip sans hotels.

04-29-08, 12:23 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Sounds like it could be in the Lope national park near the city/town of Booue then, as there's a river that goes right near the equator (using dabo's map posted above as a guide).

Alternatively, assuming they want to be located on or near a waterway, the bays south of Libreville could work as a location.

04-29-08, 11:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georgianna Click to send private message to Georgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-08 AT 00:23 AM (EST)

It's probably just me, but I have difficulty reconciling "very remote" with "beach". Too many vacations up and down the East Coast, I suppose.

Booue has an airport. And, to its north, there is a second Gabon National Park, Ivindo, that lies along the river of that name (flowing from the Congo border in the northeast to its confluence with the Oogue in the southwest) and that is also bisected by the equator at a point near the town. Accessible only by rail, river, foot and (presumably) helicopter, no roads connect it to the rest of Gabon. And while Lope's terrain is described as a "patchwork" of savannah and forest, Ivindo is virtually pristine rainforest featuring spectacular waterfalls and a bounty of species including forest elephant, buffalo and gorilla. In other words: it is "very remote".

So, for no really good reason other than that I'd love to see those waterfalls, I'm going to root for Ivindo. And hope for a cast capable of appreciating it.

In that vein:

Here is a link to an Ivindo Expedition-In-The-Making. It would appear that they still have some openings ...

And here is an account of a kayaking adventure on/in the Ivindo that I thought byoffer might enjoy. Tucked in it is this description of the paddlers' arrival in Booue:

As we approached Booue we passed more and more people all using the river, for different day to day needs; fishing, washing and collecting water. Locals would yell out to us in French 'Where have you come from?' When we replied 'Makokou' there would be a big 'Ahhhh' from the locals. We pulled in to the beach in Booue where we were welcomed by curious children playing (as) mothers washed their clothes in the river and looked on, unsure of what to make of us. A few of the kids jumped into the kayaks for a little paddle around the bay and the Mothers, wrapped up in brightly coloured traditional cloth, excitedly snapped away taking photos with their latest Nokia camera phones.

Sources!

G

05-15-08, 07:22 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Alternatively, assuming they want to be located on or near a waterway, the bays south of Libreville could work as a location.

Survivor Maps has updated their page to include a "report" (accompanied by a map of the area) that S17 will be filmed in a reserve near the coastal town of Nyonié.

Runnr3003 146 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-08, 00:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Runnr3003 Click to send private message to Runnr3003 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Oohhhhhhhh... Now I'm depressed.. I wonder why Jeffy and Julie broke up, they were such a nice couple. Thats really too bad. : (

But you know, I remember the day I had to break up with Jeffy. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. But I just couldnt see myself settling down with him, and he was such a great guy, but just not the one for me. He cried and cried for days, poor thing... I just knew he'd be ok though. LOL...

The next location sounds very interesting, I cant wait! : )

05-13-08, 12:10 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 05-13-08 AT 12:58 PM (EST)

Courtesy of Survivor Fever comes this Hollywood Insider interview of the host:

"With Survivor: Micronesia in the books, the reality franchise is now gearing up for season 17 by going back to Africa. The show will be setting up shop on the continent’s west coast in the country of Gabon. 'I didn’t know where it was,' confesses host Jeff Probst. 'I had to look it up on a map. It is probably the most remote place we have ever gone.' What does that mean in terms of wildlife? 'We don’t know,' Probst says. 'No one’s really ever hung out there. We’re going to leave a boma with some sticks and stuff, and the contestants will be given instructions that they need to finish it since we’re a little concerned because it’s so unknown. In Kenya , we had armed guards everywhere so that if something did happen, we could take care of it. We’re not gonna have that because they’re telling us it is so remote and will probably be remote forever. But a gorilla could wander into camp.' (You mean, Joel from Micronesia?)

Season 17 marks another big change for Survivor in that it will be the first time the show has been shot in high definition. 'Survivor is one of those shows that you want to see in HD,' says Probst, while noting that the scenery will look a lot more stunning than the stranded contestants, 'People with bug bites are gonna look worse, people that don’t have great bodies are gonna look worse, and people who are really attractive are probably gonna look … worse.' And what about you, Jeff? 'I went through every scenario: Is there any way I can wear makeup? Is there any way I could not shoot in the middle of the day? And the answers are all no. I’ve just come to terms with it.'

Survivor: Gabon — Earth’s Last Eden begins filming in late June and will air in September on CBS." Emphasis Added

Sure sounds more 'interior' than 'coastal', doesn't it? And is it better to come face-to-face with a lethal jungle inhabitant that has ... or has not ... learned to fear humans? Inside ... or outside ... a stockade?

The with ... or without ... armed guards question seems like a no-brainer to me: I think I would have demanded a recount of that vote ...

And, although it probably means nothing, I've emphasised Jeff's use of the singular in reference to "boma" because I've wondered since Pirate Master if MB would ever attempt to incorporate its social design - in Survivor's case, one Tribe with ad hoc/random Challenge alignments until F10 (or so) - in his flagship offering.

I would love it. But that's because I hate artificial, intrusive, manipulative tribal "switches" that interrupt or terminate group/alliance dynamics before they've run their natural course: Palau, though I would have preferred a different winner, is still my favorite Season.

G

05-13-08, 01:17 PM (EST)
24. "Description of potential Gabon contestant (male)"
From an interview with Probst on SFever:

"...And we've got great casting," he (Probst) says, paying tribute to casting director Lynne Spillman, who assembles what Probst calls "a mosaic of players."

"You want people who will 'screw the game up,' because they don't quite get it. And people who you know are gonna be quiet and go deep. And then people where you think, 'If he gets lucky, he could win it - and be a great character."'

Probst mentions a candidate for Season 17 whose potential excites him: "A young, quirky (video) gamer!" Not an obvious great-outdoors type. "I never would have looked twice at him." But Spillman did, and Probst thinks he's got a good shot to be picked.

citywitch 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-14-08, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail citywitch Click to send private message to citywitch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Description of potential Gabon contestant (male)"
You want people who will 'screw the game up,' because they don't quite get it.

well they sure got what they wanted on FvF!

05-14-08, 01:03 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Description of potential Gabon contestant (male)"
here is the new survivor 17 logo thanks to Survivor Phoenix

Dragonfire 128 desperate attention whore postings

05-14-08, 07:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dragonfire Click to send private message to Dragonfire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
I'm just glad that it looks more interesting then the last time they went to Africa. I'm sorry, but I really didn't like that season.

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-14-08, 07:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
I'm very excited about the next season - it'll be great to have it back in Africa.

The ambassador's son goes to school here and I know mom a bit so I'll have to ask her when I see her, though I doubt she knows anything about it. But, it's worth asking, at least regarding location.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

06-03-08, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-08 AT 08:20 AM (EST)

I spoke with the mom last week and she'd never heard of Survivor or anything related to it. However, this morning she brought in a glossy magazine called "Gabon" that deals with politics, the economy, tourism and culture. There's a two page article with 4 color photos including a half page of Jeff, the Survivors from the last two seasons and a helicopter shot looking down on jungle and river. The article is in French, but here are the essentials:

Survivor will be filming it's 17th season in Gabon this summer. The production team is already here in a secret place preparing for filming.

Gabon is one of the last places on earth that is preserved in a natural and savage state. Mark Burnett couldn't pass up the opportunity to film gorillas and elephants and he congratulated Gabon for preserving the region as it is. This is a real paradise and the only place you'll see hippos battling in the ocean.

The production team spent a long time looking for the ideal place to film. They consulted experts in Gabon about preservation as well as experts from the World Conservancy Society. They visited locations via car, boat and helicopter. They covered over 2,000 kilometers in three visits. The actual site is isolated but beautiful with a diversity of animals and habitat and minimizing the risk of crocodiles and elephants.

Gabon is very enthusiastic regarding the media coverage brought into the country for the first time featuring the tropical forest. The TV show says this is no doubt the most ambitious choice of location for the show up until now. This is a unique occasion for Gabon to show on TV national treasures and culture as part of it's ecotourism industry.

Ghen Maynard of CBS assures that spectators will actually feel like they are in the forest because it's being filmed in HD TV.

The production team benefits from donations from the government with many many cameras shooting from helicopters when necessary. Technicians from the Gabonese army play key roles in getting the camps ready. The locale is a real inconvenience and maintaining logistical order with little infrastructure in the forest is a challenge. They were obligated to leave materials on the beach on the ocean and transport them from there on roads that are not good. The army and government helped with this to facilitate access to workers and the equipment. The producers said they will do their best to return the forest to a natural state after they leave.

Gabon couldn't begin to buy publicity like this with 17 hours of film being shown on worldwide TV.

The caption for the helicopter picture states: Lee White of WCS films from a helicopter trying to find the ideal site in a helicopter made available by the Minister of Defense.

06-03-08, 09:58 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-08 AT 10:32 AM (EST)

Sittem,

Congratulations! Your post is, I think, the most comprehensive report on S17 to be found on several boards. Thank you.

And following your lead, I've found the Gabon Magazine article, Starring Gabon, online (and in English). The format is PDF, so a bit of patience is required.

I am so excited about this upcoming Season. What a perfect place for Survivor to begin filming in HD!

ETA: A link to Gabon Magazine's Home Page. Although it is a Quarterly, perhaps the Autumn 2008 issue will be published in time to be of further 'spoiling' value. And even if it isn't, this is a great resource for all of the armchair adventurers among us.

05-20-08, 11:22 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"

New Map by Survivor Maps
Art by Frank McIntosh

05-27-08, 06:48 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
Hi Georgianna and all: here is the map with Nyonie circled in red!!

and here is the link:
http://www.survivorfever.net/s17_nyonie_basecamp.html
be sure to check out these videos
Nyonie beach & jungle area thanks to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpOmGdmvv00
the road to Nyonie thanks to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqZV0f8rXs
a boat trip to Nyonie thanks to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX-SX0KGBds
a camp at Nyonie thanks to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGHXkB3ekPg

06-03-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Survivor 17: New Location - GABON, West Africa"
here is an aeriel view of Gabon area: thanks to YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW5i9LBRje8

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-08, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "Production problems are starting to crop up."
In fact, they're so bad, they're newsworthy. For a really slow news day.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/05/people.jeffprobst.ap/index.html

06-05-08, 03:17 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Hi Estee: where is Tarzan when you need him.
thanks YouTube
Tarzan calls to Jiffy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NL7nP61-hk
Tarzan hollers to Jiffy that he's on his way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESWHZWiiK3k

06-05-08, 03:48 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
That article indicates 18 survivors for Survivor: Gabon. Did we know that there would be 18 again?

06-05-08, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Only George Burns knew.

06-06-08, 09:54 AM (EST)
39. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Hi byoffer: 18 survivors was first mentioned at the reunion show by Jeff,when he gave the preview of survivor 17-Gabon
here is the video again thanks to YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY6Hb-1ffKs

06-10-08, 01:16 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Jiffie says:

"We have a danger problem with animals that we're trying to figure out how to handle," the "Survivor" host said. "There's so much truly wild life out there, we're not sure what to do. We don't want the animals around for a safety reasons, but we'd love to have a hippo sneak in every so often. I just got a call from our executive producer that we've got hippo tracks at base camp."

Not so fast Jiffster on the hippos. Common knowledge here is that they are extremely dangerous and you don't want to get anywhere near them or have them approach you.

This from Wiki:

"The hippopotamus is recognizable for its barrel-shaped torso, enormous mouth and teeth, hairless body, stubby legs and tremendous size. It is similar in size to the White Rhinoceros; only elephants are consistently heavier. Despite its stocky shape and short legs, it can easily outrun a human. Hippos have been clocked at 30 mph (48 km/h) while running short distances, faster than an Olympic sprinter. The hippopotamus is among the most dangerous and aggressive of all animals, and are regarded to be Africa's most dangerous animal. There are an estimated 125,000 to 150,000 hippos remaining throughout Sub-Saharan Africa, of which Zambia (40,000) and Tanzania (20,000-30,000) have the largest populations <1>. They are still threatened by poaching for their meat and ivory canine teeth, and by habitat loss."

06-10-08, 02:23 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
I suspect Jiffy is talking about this sort of hippo...

06-10-08, 05:40 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
That would explain the missing food.

And may even be a challenge spoiler.

06-11-08, 12:11 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
anybody want to do the hippo dance with me?

Runnr3003 146 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-08, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Runnr3003 Click to send private message to Runnr3003 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
LOVE the hippo UncleRich!! LOL

06-12-08, 07:27 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Hi Runnr3003: here is hippo's friend elephant

weve got about 2 more weeks until filming begins!!

06-15-08, 02:44 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
here is gorilla

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

06-17-08, 09:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
further proof that the animals are smarter than survivors

Leo can make fire.

06-18-08, 03:29 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Hey SunnyBunny: Do you mind if I have a wiener roast and burn some marshmello's on Leo's fire? good job!!!! /ps today in Nyonie,Gabon it was 85*F degrees with rain!! I checked Jeff's my space this morning and he has not left for Africa yet!

07-21-08, 09:52 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Updates: About.com an article by Anouk Zijlma tells us that;1 filming of Survivor 17-Gabon is in Wonga-Wongue Presidential Reserve, 2.beach and water areas are in Pongara National Park, 3.production camp is in Nyonie Camp
http://goafrica.about.com/od/gabon/a/SurvivorGabon.htm
If filming began June 23,2008,and today is July 21,2008,then this would be day 28 of filming. If we started with 18 Survivors,then we should be down to 9 now and ready for a merge, and the jury members will begin being selected.

07-21-08, 12:15 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Except the math doesn't fit if filming did start on June 23rd, had 18 contestants and they stick to the typical 39-day schedule.

I've enclosed a chart here to show the number of days and when boots would likely take place -- I'm working backwards with the following assumptions:

- 18 Survivors
- 39 days
- final Tribal Council with 3 left in the game
- 7 person jury
- 3 days in between boots from first jury boot until there are five left in the game

If that's true, then it means we've got 22 days to boot the first nine contestants including the first jury member, so either there are a bunch of 2-day episodes (instead of 3 days) or we've got two quitters/double boots/twist boots somewhere in the mix.

Date - Day - # of Survivors at daybreak - Boot
June 23 - Day 1 - 18 contestants
June 24 - Day 2
June 25 - Day 3
June 26 - Day 4
June 27 - Day 5
June 28 - Day 6
June 29 - Day 7
June 30 - Day 8
July 1 - Day 9
July 2 - Day 10
July 3 - Day 11
July 4 - Day 12
July 5 - Day 13
July 6 - Day 14
July 7 - Day 15
July 8 - Day 16
July 9 - Day 17
July 10 - Day 18
July 11 - Day 19
July 12 - Day 20
July 13 - Day 21
July 14 - Day 22 - 10 - BOOT, 9 left (1st Jury member)
July 15 - Day 23 - 9
July 16 - Day 24 - 9
July 17 - Day 25 - 9 - BOOT, 8 left
July 18 - Day 26 - 8
July 19 - Day 27 - 8
July 20 - Day 28 - 8 - BOOT, 7 left
July 21 - Day 29 - 7
July 22 - Day 30 - 7
July 23 - Day 31 - 7 - BOOT, 6 left
July 24 - Day 32 - 6
July 25 - Day 33 - 6
July 26 - Day 34 - 6 - BOOT, 5 left
July 27 - Day 35 - 5
July 28 - Day 36 - 5
July 29 - Day 37 - 5 - BOOT, 4 left
July 30 - Day 38 - 4 - BOOT, 3 left
July 31 - Day 39 - 3 - Final Tribal Council

07-21-08, 08:30 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Hi PepelePew: your figures look great to me! I couldn't get the figures to come out either!The only things we know for sure is:1-Gabon,2-39 days,3-18 contestants 4-It's hot and humid

07-24-08, 10:51 AM (EST)
52. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
I just checked IMDB site and there will be 15 episodes for Survivor 17 Gabon
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0239195/episodes

07-24-08, 01:36 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
If you take another look, you'll notice that episode #15 from the more recent seasons were live reunions, so we don't count these in terms of game-play.

Of course, IMDB doesn't know if there will actually be 14 episodes or if there will be any twists, etc.

Let's assume there will be 14 episodes including a final five in the finale episode, this means there are no double-boot episodes unless we have a recap (hasn't been one for a while) or a to-be-continued a la a tiebreaker fire-off.

07-25-08, 03:33 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
I don't know if anything is important in these Gabon newspaper articles on Survivor in Gabon. It is in FRENCH. Do we have a translater amongst us? thanks to gaboneco.com
http://www.gaboneco.com/show_article.php?IDActu=9008
http://gaboneco.com/editcomment.php?article=9008
thanks for your help

07-25-08, 03:57 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Article closely translated:
The emission of tele reality “Survivor”, which since its starting was always recorded on an island, will be done June and semi next August in Gabon, within one of the most famous reserves of the country: the reserve of Wonga-Wongue located on the Gabonese grounds. The program, presented by Jeff Probst, made its appearance in 2000 on channel CBS in the United States, and continues today at a rate of two seasons per annum. The emission, which is in its concept, l' one of the pionnières of the tele reality in the USA, is incontestably l' one of most profitable of the kind, and the most distinguished. Mixing the physical, mental and social plays, the unfolding of l' emission functions on certain basic principles. A d' group; individuals, divided into several tribes, is sent on an island lasting d' more; one month and owes s' there to find food, to create a shelter, like surviving the natural elements together. In first part of season, each team must face in two d' types; tests by episode, in order to gain various rewards facilitating survival (accessories, food, discovered country, contact with its family) and an immunity allowing d' to avoid the tribal council. Because c' is at the time of the latter qu' a candidate is eliminated by his pars by means of a vote, generally moved by strategies and the alliances formed between the participants. In second part the reunification occurs, where l' gained immunity becomes individual. C' is as from this moment that the eliminated candidates become members of the jury and are the quiet witnesses of each tribal council. Lorsqu' there remain only three players, gaining it of the last immunity chooses that which accompanies it finally. The 17th season which will proceed in Gabon, started last on January 24 with the locations. The selections were made in Mars. Eight hundred candidates were selected during talks directed by CBS. Forty eight semi finalists were retained, among whom eighteen were selected to take part in the finale which will take place in August and next June.

07-26-08, 08:38 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Thanks tribephyl: so there will be a final 3 again,and then the winner

07-26-08, 10:14 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
I had a good laugh at that one as the online translations can be quite hilarious. "The selections were made in Mars?"

Here's my translation:

The filming of reality TV show "Survivor", which, since its inception, always was recorded on an island, {Ed.: Wrong! S3 Africa certainly wasn't on an island, and well, Australia is technically an island but wasn't filmed in an island setting. Ditto for S6 Amazon, S11 Guatemala, etc.} will be done from June to August in one of the more famous reserves in the country of Gabon: the Wonga-Wongue reserve on the Gabonese coastal plain.

The program, presented by Jeff Probst, first appeared in 2000 on the CBS network in the United States, and continues today to be shown two times a year. Survivor is one of the pioneers of the concept of reality TV in the USA and is unquestionably one of the more profitable ones of its kind, and is considered to be the most distinguished one.

Mixing the physical, mental and social aspects, the recording sequence works on certain basic principles. A group of individuals, divided into tribes, is sent to an island for more than a month and they must find food, create a shelter, and survive each other in the natural elements. In the first part of the season, every team must face two types of tests in each episode in order to win rewards to help survive in camp ('kidnappings', food, trips to explore the country, family visits) and an immunity allowing a tribe to avoid tribal council. At tribal council, a contestant is eliminated by peers by a vote, primarily motivated by strategies and formed alliances between the contestants.

During the second part of the game, there is a merge of tribes, and the immunity challenges becomes individual. From this moment, the eliminated contestants become members of the jury and silently watch every tribal council. When there are only three players left in the game, the winner of the final immunity challenge chooses one person to face in the final vote. {Ed.: This describes a final two vote. Then again, this is a very general write-up that the writer evidently took from some source such as Wikipedia, so I wouldn't take this as evidence of anything that would happen in this particular season}

The 17th season that will take place in Gabon, started on January 24 with the scouting of locations. The contestant selections were done in the month of March. Eight hundred candidates were selected during interviews conducted by CBS. Forty eight semi-finalists were held over for extra interviews, from which the eighteen contestants were selected to participate in the filming that will take place between the months of June and August.

So... I don't see anything spoilerish in this translation as the writer probably got a script handed to him to write up.

07-30-08, 01:32 PM (EST)
58. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Was there a problem with the chosen contestants just before leaving for Gabon? Indianocean over at Survivor Skills has posted that several Chosen Survivor 17-Gabon contestents were replaced by Survivor producers with replacement contestants just before leaving for Africa!!
http://www.survivorskills.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=S;f=96;t=6235;st=120
click on: Survivor spoilers
then click on:pinned-Survivor Gabon Contestant Spoilers
then page#13-post#128 by indianocean
other information included are:
filming began Monday, June 23
filming ends Thursday, July 31
should arrive back in USA on August 1st or 2nd

b1whois 126 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-08, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail b1whois Click to send private message to b1whois Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
following the link unclerich provided there is a more recent post 157 that confirms Crystal Cox, the gold medalist runner as a contestant.

08-05-08, 09:58 AM (EST)
60. "RE: Production problems are starting to crop up."
Hi b1whois: I'm now hearing that 8 or 10 chosen contestants were replaced 2 weeks before leaving for Gabon! WOW!! What happened?

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-08, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
61. "Just resetting the margin"
The posts are getting skinny because each reply to a reply indents. To prevent that you can reply to the original post.

Otherwise we can start another chain off this post.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •