LAST EDITED ON 02-05-10 AT 05:23 PM (EST)
I thought it would be a good idea to devote a thread to all of the things that would not have happened following the detonation of jughead at the swan site in 1977. Remember Daniel Faraday's warning to Richard that they had a broken bomb, upon viewing the man with the radiation burns. He warned then that a bomb like that would destroy the entire island and everything on it. So, with the news from Juliet who is now beyond the grave, that "it worked", let's think about what would and would not have happened post 1977.
1. The original intent of detonating the bomb: Oceanic Flight 815 would have never crashed in 2004.
2. The Black Rock would have still landed, Richard Alpert would still be on the Island.
3. Jacob and XLocke/Nemesis would be destroyed with the destruction of the island, as they appear to be able to be killed....or do they?
4. The others would be there, but who was in charge...Eloise. So Eloise, Widmore, and young Ben would have been killed in 1977 from the bomb, therefore, there would be no Penelope, nor Daniel Faraday, and young Charlotte would have died with the Island as well. There would have been no Charlie(ETA: Baby Charlie Hume).
5. Without Widmore or Penelope, Desmond would not have even entered a sailing race, he would have left the monastery and never met Penny...no telling what he would be doing.
6. When did Rousseau and the French team come to the Island? I think after 1977, (the distress signal had been going for 16 years, ~1988. So Rousseau would have never come to the Island, and Alex would have been born most likely with both parents around...
7. Paik would still be a big time Korean Mobster, Sun and Jin would most likely be destined to misery, pain, and separation....but would they, remember Jin's plan, after consulting his own Father at the Fishing Village, was to do this one last job for Paik, and then get out. Again, I am hopeful.
8. The Dharma Initiative would have been wiped out....was Miles' mother already off the Island, or was she still there? If she was still there, there would be no more Miles.
....I'm sure that there is SO much more...