The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fair voting technology?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

travelertexas 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-02-04, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail travelertexas Click to send private message to travelertexas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fair voting technology?"
It seems to me there must be some way to allow America to vote fairly. I've read in some of the other's comments that winning is just a matter of which contestants have the most dialers. Isn't there a change that needs to be made to allow America to vote once from any one telephone? I congratulate each of the contestants for their achievements, but it's time for some to move on. In closing, I'm dissappointed that American Idol has not had the foresight to see their voting procedures as unfair.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Fair voting technology? EnglProf 04-02-04 1
   RE: Fair voting technology? Ricky 04-02-04 4
       RE: Fair voting technology? travelertexas 04-02-04 10
   RE: Fair voting technology? travelertexas 04-02-04 9
 RE: Fair voting technology? ElroyJetson 04-02-04 2
   RE: Fair voting technology? managerr 04-02-04 3
   RE: Fair voting technology? zeffy 04-02-04 14
 RE: Fair voting technology? Mistral 04-02-04 5
   RE: Fair voting technology? Ricky 04-02-04 6
       RE: Fair voting technology? Mistral 04-02-04 7
 RE: Fair voting technology? brvnkrz 04-02-04 8
   RE: Fair voting technology? curveball 04-26-04 30
 RE: Fair voting technology? brvnkrz 04-02-04 11
 RE: Fair voting technology? Sbez 04-02-04 12
 RE: Fair voting technology? managerr 04-02-04 13
   RE: Fair voting technology? PC452 04-02-04 15
 Unrealistic.... anotherkim 04-02-04 16
   RE: Unrealistic.... Ricky 04-03-04 19
 RE: Fair voting technology? JoyinVirginia 04-02-04 17
   RE: Fair voting technology? Ricky 04-03-04 18
       RE: Fair voting technology? escapedude 04-03-04 20
 The "vote system" thread AyaK 04-22-04 21
 RE: Fair voting technology? okaychatt 04-22-04 22
   RE: Fair voting technology? 1simplyme 04-22-04 23
       RE: Fair voting technology? okaychatt 04-22-04 26
 Ideas Devious Weasel 04-22-04 24
   Controversy applesugar 04-22-04 25
   RE: Ideas okaychatt 04-22-04 27
 RE: Fair voting technology? calamityc 04-26-04 28
   RE: Fair voting technology? managerr 04-26-04 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-02-04, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
winning is just a matter of which contestants have the most dialers.

um...isn't this the way it's supposed to be? Whomever has the most fans, or the most adamant fans wins. Done deal.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-02-04, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Well, I think his point is that I for example voted for Diana 8 times on my phone. There are not eight people in my household, I just really want to see Diana make it through. I really don't think it's fair, but I'm playing by the rules.

I would actually rather see a max of four votes per phone allowed (i.e. it is possible that a family of four all using the same phone all want to vote for different ppl - or the same person for that matter.)

04-02-04, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail travelertexas Click to send private message to travelertexas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Ricky you're right, a fixed number of votes per household is a great idea.

04-02-04, 12:01 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
um...I guess I missed the point all together. I was under the impression that American Idol was a talent contest.

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-02-04, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
I've always thought America should vote for whom they DON'T want on the show anymore.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-02-04, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
No that wouldn't work. Eventually America would get smart and start forming voting alliancees. After all the immediately irritating singers went out, you'd have fans teaming up to boot Latoya, George, etc. all the people that are a threat to win. The end result would be a contestant no one cares about, but one no one truly loves either.

zeffy 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-02-04, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zeffy Click to send private message to zeffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
That was originally used on Pop Idol in the UK. Then there was a campaign to boot off "the person who always stutters" (who was Gareth Gates). Simon heavily favoured Gates, and thus, he got the voting system changed from voting for your least favourite to your most favourite to save Gareth's hiney.

And that's our lession in Idol history.

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-02-04, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Unfortunately, I don't think "fair" even applies here because it is all so subjective...some people are going to vote their favorite no matter how sucky they are (don't we already have LOTS of proof of that?!?!?!)for sheer demographic reasons alone. And all we can do about it is vent!

04-02-04, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
>Unfortunately, I don't think "fair" even applies here because it is all so subjective...some people are going to vote their favorite no matter how sucky they are

True. JPL is proof of that.

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-04, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
I'm with you there! And there are a few other as well!

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-02-04, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Don't hate me because I'm old, but I'm going to sound like a parent here and a cliche or two too.
Life is not fair. Don't hate the players, hate the game.
Since life is not fair, you suck up to how life is and adapt or do something to change it.
Just saying is all.

curveball 225 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 08:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail curveball Click to send private message to curveball Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
the only part that makes you sound like a parent was this:

"Don't hate the players, hate the game."

Reminds me of the 8 simple rules episode right after Ritter died, where his final story for the paper was being read by his wife. He talked about being made fun of by his kids for calling 50cent 50cents.

my point? you hate "the player" (no 's'). Even if there is more than one. And if you really want to sound hip, you say play-uh.

-cb

from one (soon-to-be) parent to another....

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-04, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
If they really wanted to make it fun for the viewers they would have to vote each other off Survivor Island style.

Sbez 36 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-02-04, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sbez Click to send private message to Sbez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
My family and I were just talking about this. Seems to us that they should have voting online for the contestants. I think alot more people would vote that way especially more of the adults. I know when we have tried to vote before after you get a busy signal a couple of times we give up. You have to think about who it is that will spend their time to keep calling to cast their vote. I would really like to see them change the way voting is done. The way I see it know the 20million that do get through must be tone deph. I know many adults who watch the show but will not waste their time trying to cast their vote.

04-02-04, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
From a business standpoint, the point of the competition is for 19E to find the contestant(s) that will make them the most money. They want the winning singer to inspire *rabid* devotion among his or her fans. The logic is that fans who are willing to spend 2 hours a night dialing for the same person is also willing to will end up buying CD's or going to see a concert, etc. Yes, it gives the advantage to the young teenybopper types--but that's the type of consumer/fan that the competition is supposed to attract.

I'd suggest that you just play within the system too. Set your modem to autodial and go watch 24. (Great show!)

PC452 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-02-04, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PC452 Click to send private message to PC452 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
>>>The logic is that fans who are willing to spend 2 hours a night dialing for the same person is also willing to will end up buying CD's or going to see a concert, etc. Yes, it gives the advantage to the young teenybopper types--but that's the type of consumer/fan that the competition is supposed to attract.

I'd suggest that you just play within the system too. Set your modem to autodial and go watch 24. (Great show!)<<<

I agree, remember this show is called American Idol (or what I call is Teen Idol). Of course there are going to be people who go further than what they should because of their appeal, or people who aren't going to go as far even with their great talent. Even, if you still reduce the number of votes allowed, it probably would not have stopped Amy from being elminated, because she still would not have gotten as many votes as some of the others. For some reason, I don't know!!!

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-04, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Unrealistic...."
and, IMO, unfair, if you limit the calls per hoursehold. How would you address cell phones? My husband and I have 2 cell phone numbers plus our home number, so we'd get 12 votes, but a one-phone family would only get 4. Then, if you're at work and can vote on a phone system with mulitple lines, you'd have a serious advantage.

If you REALLY want a particular person to win, then you'll vote over and over. So far I've gotten through every time I ever tried to vote. I just hit redial without stopping until I get to vote.

As long as it's open to the public to vote, then there will be some element of unfair. It's much better than the other alternative which would be the JUDGES (gag) picking for us.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--that said, Camille MUST go!!!!

04-03-04, 06:14 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Unrealistic...."
They could only do it by phone number, so yes if you have multiple phones you would get more votes. Most households probably do have at least one cell phone nowadays so it would even out. And it would still be much fairer than someone being able to sit and hit redial for two hours like they can now.

JoyinVirginia 6 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-04, 10:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoyinVirginia Click to send private message to JoyinVirginia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Don't assume that all the voters are teenyboppers. I am a forty-something mom. I watch the show, write down the performers and phone numbers and check whether I like the performance or not. When the phone lines open, I watch 24 and the local news and start calling. At this stage I vote for the 5 or 6 I like best, if one line is busy I just try the next. As the contestants are eliminated, I will vote for fewer and fewer each week. It isn't hard to call then just redial. it is something I can easily do while watching TV.
Joy in Virginia

04-03-04, 06:09 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
You are pretty dedicated to voting and seem to have a good system. You put the teenyboppers to shame .

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-04, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
the only fair voting system to me would be a toll based vote..that way you wouldnt have every 13yr old kid dialing 15 times for their favorites..The parents would strictly supervise this..

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-04, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "The "vote system" thread"
With the surfeit of new posts, this thread has gotten buried. THIS was the thread that was supposed to be used to discuss changes in voting systems or technology.

For those of you who have posted your own (now locked) threads on the idea, please feel free to duplicate your posts on this thread. I'll write a news story about Idol voting if I see some good ideas emerge for alternative systems.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-22-04, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Does anyone know if text messages are ever jammed up the way the phone lines are? If they are not, that might be part of the problem.

Someone with phone access can vote only a few times (at least where I live,) but a person with a text message phone could vote until the polls close.

1simplyme 55 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-22-04, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 1simplyme Click to send private message to 1simplyme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Unfortunately, we will never know factually how many contestants received how many votes. I vote, and each member in our house hold votes several times from several different phones. I feel it's fixed in some sort of way, especially after last night's episode, but then again we'll never truly know, will we? Just keep voting for who you like and hopefully the best will win! Really, if the Presidential Election can be fixed, tricked, and stolen, why not AI?

04-22-04, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
My question is whether or not text voters have an advantage over phone line voters.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-04, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Ideas"
* Make people register online to be eligible to vote. Give them a voter ID number they must enter in when they vote.

* Leave voting open longer. Keep the lines open til 5:00 eastern the next day.

* Publish vote tallies online, while the voting is in progress.

* First vote’s free. After that, charge per vote, starting with a nominal sum ($.50), increasing it with each subsequent vote.

applesugar 68 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-22-04, 06:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail applesugar Click to send private message to applesugar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "Controversy"
I was an still one of Jennifer's bigest fans and was shocked last night. But, it looks like Miss Jen being voted off has made
fans of AI question whats going on with the votes, according to Fox News in my hometown. Turns out people were calling into the newsstation. The newstation had to post a number where they could complain. WOW Jen got people fired up!!

Shedevil - Where you at? I know with Jen being voted off pissed you off because I was actually ready to start a protest somewhere.

04-22-04, 07:53 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Ideas"
I like the voter id idea and the free first vote. Those would cut down on computer voting, especially.

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
Good evening to all,
They have a really eye opening article on Foxes on Idol about the voting. It isn't really technology, but a concentrated plan. Some of it was news to me, especially Clay Aiken fans ganging up and voting for Johnny Red because they feel they were robbed last year.

http://www.foxesonidol.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article1526.art&page=1

04-26-04, 07:55 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Fair voting technology?"
I pretty much think that article is silly, but for the most part, for every judge that tells us who we should be voting for and forcing it down our throat, there will be those that don't like being told what to do. Half of my votes have been going to Jon Stevens out of spite.

http://www.geocities.com/voteworst/

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •