The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Survivor: The Society Islands: Po..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Estee 56955 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-10-07, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:..."
Answering this one before Zoidberg's, as there one entry here which I won't have to cover that item above.

Did you have an outline of the series before you started writing?

Not a written one. I knew what the major events were for the season and when they would occur. The boot order was set in stone. I even had the last line from the personal Day One on, and it never changed: the final action seen would be Alex having smiled. But I never had a formal construct of any kind saying 'This must happen in between', which allowed some of the smaller scenes to emerge on their own. (Gardener and Alex arguing about football's overtime system was one of the things that spontaneously developed along the way, as were the All-Stars II discussion and Tony coming up with the Cook Island theme.) Because everything wasn't locked in from the start, it gave the cast flexibility in finding their own moments. The Tarot cards were the major stars to steer by and helped keep the season on track: we have to reach this event, so this has to happen first...

Weirdly, the last thing to be set was usually the challenges. Some of them were determined in advance -- the memory game was a set piece, as were the first and last Immunities -- but while I knew who won each and what the Rewards would be, the actual format for most of them came late. I didn't want to hyper-complicate every challenge the way the actual series has been doing them lately: while some of them could be big and bold (as with the ziplines), there was generally a single clear activity and goal. That was, in large part, trying to invoke an early-seasons feel, right back to the first in some places: keep it simple wherever possible. (It may also be notable that even in the tribal challenges, there's a lot of emphasis on individual ability.) And even with making them simpler, they weren't always easy to find. Serious kudos to the real challenge design staff -- it's harder than it looks.

The other typical late element was generally the idol clues. Who would hold each one (and whether it would be found at all) was predetermined, but where they were and what the clue would say came along the way. Only a few were set in advance, including Tree Mail, both of the merge ones, and having the last one be 'Wish'. The others pretty much showed up when they were needed. Generally when I was staring at the screen, wondering where they were.

Did the PTTE and Tarot thread influence the outcome in any way?

No, although I was always curious to see people's guesses. What did have some affect was the commentary made on the episode threads -- the ones where people would make their own DAW Chorus posts, along with similar discussions on the OT update notification thread. Some of it just made me think Yeah, the Chorus would be saying that, followed by having some of them think along the same lines. Fishercat's OT thought about the Final Four having some likenesses to Guatemala's situation was one of the things that made the leap.

Did the characters start to develop thier own style/personality as the Colonel's did?

As I'll eventually get to above, personalities were pretty much set at the beginning, although a few people showed surprising sub-aspects of themselves as they went through. The biggest surprise to me was that Gardener walked off with so many of the best quotes. The 'This is my ass. This is the line. This is my ass on the line' confessional came out of nowhere, as did his follow-up on ''happy to see you' faces' and a few others that he dropped along the way. His entire Season-In-Review rant was pretty much a stream-of-consciousness rampage across the screen.

{Although to me, the funniest line of the season still might be "He had a spare!" Poor Angela.)

How many of OT topics, snark and DAW's did you incorporate into the series? And how much fun was it to do that?

RTVW/OT topics never really made their way into the DAW Chorus. As was noted early, their board is close to ours, but they're not us and their guidelines are somewhat looser -- the dreaded 'shut up' manifested early. One classic site moment was placed into the season, though: {Is she allowed to say WTF?} That was taken directly from an incident Bebo worked out, right down to the response. And at least one reality moment worked itself in after it happened: Boogie Mike's classic expression in B.B.A.Stards just had to be mentioned. (Other series were brought up where it felt like they fit in, as with Randal's edit collapse -- and I had to get a Celebrity Blackjack reference in for Island Boy. Same for the lone Outback Jack moment, but that was for me.}

The DAW Chorus themselves are not based on any existing board members. That was done on purpose: I didn't want there to be any point at which someone would say 'Hey, you were trying to imitate me the whole time!', potentially followed by a whole lot of yelling. There are times when their words seem to ring in concert with things we would say, and there was one {} post in an early episode where I just looked at the thing during editing and said "Okay, that's HistoryDetective talking.": the rhythms that had emerged on that comment really felt like his. But the harried moderators, the fast-talking recaper, and the rest of the group weren't modeled after any of us. Any recognizable voice within the Chorus -- and I think there's a couple of them -- had to stand apart. Still, if you want to hear given board members talking between the {} marks, it's a very easy thing to do...

But in particular, the newbie/fundie Chorister was not based on anyone here. If you want to see echoes of him in a few other people, you can, because there's elements of the Chorus everywhere. (They're DAWs. They spread out easily.) But he's a character in himself, and the Chorus member who goes on his own journey: starting as a furious newbie who registered just to have a place to scream and ending up as a summary writer in waiting who's developing his own brand of snark. There was a moment when I considered having Alex note him in the bleachers -- but for the most part, the Chorus remained anonymous, and it stayed that way through the end.

(Oh, and just for the record: of course Gardener was lurking the whole time. )

Not to be nosy but please tell me you do something with your writing talent IRL?

This project really did horrible things to my project time on Deathly Hallows. Sorry about that.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Survivor: The Society Islands: Po...   Estee     02-08-07       
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   ohmyheck     02-08-07     1  
     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-09-07     9  
         RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Colonel Zoidberg     02-09-07     10  
             RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-10-07     14  
                 RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Colonel Zoidberg     02-13-07     26  
                     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-13-07     27  
         RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Devious Weasel     12-28-08     31  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Colonel Zoidberg     02-09-07     2  
     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-11-07     17  
         RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Colonel Zoidberg     02-12-07     22  
             RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-13-07     24  
                 RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Colonel Zoidberg     02-13-07     25  
         RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Belle Book     01-20-09     33  
     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Belle Book     03-14-10     34  
   Check-In   AyaK     02-09-07     3  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   azkate     02-09-07     4  
     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-10-07     15  
         RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   vince3     02-12-07     21  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   michel     02-09-07     5  
   CHECKING IN   jbug     02-09-07     6  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   VisionQuest     02-09-07     7  
     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-09-07     11  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   cahaya     02-09-07     8  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Fishercat     02-09-07     12  
     RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Estee     02-11-07     18  
   Checking in   vince3     02-09-07     13  
   Complete Episode List:   vince3     02-11-07     16  
   Location, location, location.   Estee     02-11-07     19  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   xwraith27     02-12-07     20  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   rasslinmomma     02-12-07     23  
   Super Mega Bump   Jims02     04-28-07     28  
     RE: Super Mega Bump   Estee     04-30-07     29  
         RE: Super Mega Bump   AyaK     09-07-07     30  
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands:...   Devious Weasel     12-28-08     32  
    Oh, look ...   Georjanna     06-26-12     35  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •