The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

09-22-04, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
In my opinion when the race ended I was disappointed.

First, off the best team didn't win. I was routing for Colin and Christie because the were so dominate in the race. Too lose because their flight got canceled was horrible. Chip and Kim basically won because they were the last team to the airport. I liked Chip and Kim don't get me wrong but Colin and Christie were the best team and everyone knew it. I was amazed to watch Colin just flash thru all the challenges (except Ostrich egg/and bull but that was his girlfriends fault). But they lost bottom line because they were first to the airport and that is wrong. Amazing Race always makes things look closer than they are but this finish had the least suspense of any race yet. I was disappointed.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... cayugasong 09-22-04 1
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Oscirus 09-22-04 2
 Disagree FesterFan1 09-22-04 3
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... bacon 09-22-04 4
   COME ON BACON! Wacko Jacko 09-22-04 22
       COME ON WACKO! IceCat 09-22-04 27
           COME ON ICECAT! FFantasyFX 09-23-04 43
               One team did not need IceCat 09-23-04 45
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Just Plain Bill 09-22-04 5
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... nailbone 09-22-04 10
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Wacko Jacko 09-22-04 21
 Agree in part realitybites 09-22-04 6
 Chip AND Kim are very deserving win... TeamJoisey 09-22-04 7
   RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving... nailbone 09-22-04 11
       RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving... TeamJoisey 09-22-04 30
   RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving... samboohoo 09-22-04 13
       RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving... ssshaw 09-22-04 15
       You're right TeamJoisey 09-23-04 35
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Pretty_Kitty 09-22-04 8
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... ginger 09-22-04 9
       RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... rjrabbit 09-22-04 12
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... KObrien_fan 09-22-04 14
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... true 09-22-04 16
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... ValenciaJoe 09-22-04 17
       That's not right realitybites 09-23-04 32
           RE: That's not right cayugasong 09-23-04 34
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Bucky Katt 09-22-04 18
       RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Devious Weasel 09-23-04 40
           RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... tvgeek401 09-28-04 47
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... NoParole 09-23-04 39
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... 712 09-23-04 46
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... scorpio 09-22-04 19
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Tamena 09-22-04 20
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Wacko Jacko 09-22-04 23
       RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... samboohoo 09-22-04 24
       RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... GameOver3 09-22-04 25
           RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Spider 09-22-04 26
           RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... KObrien_fan 09-23-04 33
               RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Oscirus 09-23-04 37
       RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Oscirus 09-23-04 36
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... okaychatt 09-22-04 28
   RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... jase 09-23-04 31
 WORST.FINALE.EVER. I_AM_HE 09-22-04 29
   RE: WORST.FINALE.EVER. Spidey 09-23-04 41
       RE: WORST.FINALE.EVER. I_AM_HE 09-23-04 42
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... geg6 09-23-04 38
 RE: Opinions of the Race and the Fi... Molaholic 09-23-04 44

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cayugasong 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-22-04, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cayugasong Click to send private message to cayugasong Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I agree completely. The best team did not win, the luckiest team did. As soon as the race was equaized going to Calgary, Colin & Christie immediately took the lead - again - and Chip & Kim fell into last - again.

Yet the race was decided by the airline schedules, not by the skill of the racers. Being last to the airport should not have put a bad team ahead of two teams that left them in the dust, er, snow.

Next year they need to address how the women in the top teams this year let the men do all of the challenges. Much credit goes to Karen and Linda for competing against MEN. Teams should be forced to take turns, or at least that one partner cannot do more than two roadblocks in a row, so that strategy can still come into play.

Still, the most disappoitning part of the Amazing Race is that no matter how well a team does, how hard they work, how much they plan, someone working for the airlines decides who gets on the best flight.

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-22-04, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
LAST EDITED ON 09-22-04 AT 11:18 AM (EST)

I disagree. yes it is true chip/Kim got lucky with that flight but big deal that was the reason why charla/mirna got eliminated its a gamble. They lost because they got sloppy I mean how was it if their flight was supposed to be earlier than chip/kims did chip and Kim show up earlier at the airport than the other two teams.
Another factor one can look at is the fact that while colin/christie won 6 legs to chip and kims 4. C/k also was the only team to never finish in last place so luck plays into the game at all times so technically all of the final three got lucky not just c/k.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-22-04, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Disagree"
Error #1: It's Winter...in Calgary. You know it's the homestretch. You've gone to the trouble of packing up your stuff. You think you might want to check on your flight, or at the very least look out the damn window? Planes don't get delayed 2 hours because of a few clouds. It was obvious that it was foggy. It's their own fault they didn't check on the status of their flight.

Error #2: Checking their baggage. I suppose they could plead ignorance on this one, but the fact remains that in trying to be efficient, they caused their own demise. You gotta plan for the possibility that checking luggage limits what flights you can take. Again, totally their fault AND poor strategy.

Perhaps Chip and Kim lucked into the information about the flight, but they played it very close to the vest and in doing so made Colin and Christie have to make a quick decision that ultimately cost them.

IMO, Chip and Kim are very deserving winners.

Fester

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-22-04, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
If they are such a great team then why didn't they book multiple flights in the end? They had 12 legs to perfect booking flights, and booking "just in case" flights. Why didn't either of the front 2 teams do that? You're racing for a million bucks and you're one destination away from claiming the prize and you get lazy. Huh? Chip and Kim might not have gotten the second flight had they not been last, but that's wasn't the design of the show. The show wasn't rewarding them for being last. It was simply that the 8:40 flight was delayed. Tough Luck! Had their flight not been delayed Charla and Mirna might have won the whole thing.

And I'm not sure why people get annoyed with the drama of booking flights. I think it's great tv! I was on pins and needles when the two teams were trying to make the same flight. And I'd argue that the best team did win. Colin and Christie were definitely the most athletic, but Chip and Kim were the smartest.

09-22-04, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "COME ON BACON!"
Name one team the whole 5 seasons of Amazing Race that booked all possible flights??????

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "COME ON WACKO!"
Of the four teams that were in the finale, three had finished last in a previous episode and were only present because the were winners of the 'non-elimination round lottery'.

Linda and Karen,
Brandon and Nicole and
Colin and Christie.

Only one team did not finish last in any episode and they won the money... case closed.

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-23-04, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "COME ON ICECAT!"
Actually, if we didn't have any non-eliminations, Colin and Christie would have won. Linda and Karen would have been eliminated in Egypt, Kami and Karli would have gone in Dubai, and Colin and Christie would have come in first in the ultimate leg that featured three teams - India. Yes, this is a hypothetical, but it's no less valid than the hypothetical you propose. The non-elimination rounds are there and, unfortunately for now, we have to deal with them. I don't think any of us can make a claim on how the race would have turned out if the non-elims were eradicated or modified, since it would have severely altered the overall game.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 09:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "One team did not need"
a non-elim round. The team that won.

Just Plain Bill 76 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-22-04, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Just%20Plain%20Bill Click to send private message to Just%20Plain%20Bill Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
> I was amazed to watch Colin just flash thru all
the challenges (except Ostrich egg/and bull but that was his
girlfriends fault).>

I don't follow your reasoning on this point. How does Colin's inability to cook and eat an ostrich egg or completely freaking out over a carabao's intransigence Christy's fault? (Though Colin certainly seemed to think so, too.)

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I think the finger is pointed at Christy for the ox thing, not the egg, and because while the other teams worked in tandem to direct the ox, Christy stood by and watched Colin struggle, only yelling at him (and being yelled at by him) rather than helping.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Omnia in bonum o-

09-22-04, 08:40 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Did you watch the race?

It was Christies fault that made Colin freak out with th bull. The other teams helped each other. Christie on the other had stood off to the side and did nothing but shout at Colin. Now yes I know Colin is a hot head but common Christie do more then shout at him.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 11:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Agree in part"
I thought the first half of the show was GREAT, one of the best legs ever, but the second hour was a disappointment. Not because of who won - Chip & Kim are deserving winners and nice people - but the way they kind of backed into their flight. A race through the maze and to the finish line would have been much more interesting, but that's not what happened, and their 10 minute lead proved decisive.

I'll agree that Colin & Christie were the best overall team, but Chip & Kim were second and not far behind.

"This is realitybites and I approved this post."

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-22-04, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Chip AND Kim are very deserving winners"

As usual, I'm in agreement with Fester on all of those points.
First rule of TAR has to be NEVER EVER EVER check baggage, and we've never seen anyone do it in any leg of any race thus far. Checked baggage means waiting for checked baggage to be unloaded. That was foolish in the extreme.

To those folks who feel Kim did not contribute to the victory, I'll point to the eventual game-winning move. It was Kim and only Kim who bothered to check to see if that American Airlines flight was delayed. It was Kim who booked the last seats on the United flight the night before departure. That was the deciding factor, and again points out that there is more to The Amazing Race than rock climbing.

Colin, who had worked the airline counters as well as anyone ever has in this game, failed to check on the most critical of all flights. He even commented in Calgary about the incoming fog, and failed to realize the implications.

So while Colin and Christie were extremely good at most aspects of the game, they were eventually done in by a grevious error, a horrible oversight, and their own hubris.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving winners"

First rule of TAR has to be NEVER EVER EVER check baggage, and we've never seen anyone do it in any leg of any race thus far. Checked baggage means waiting for checked baggage to be unloaded. That was foolish in the extreme.

Except IF they expected to not have to claim their luggage at the end. Then it just saves time and effort to have to deal with it.

they were eventually done in by a grevious error, a horrible oversight, and their own hubris.

I vote for number 3.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Omnia in bonum o-

09-22-04, 11:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving winners"
But,

If you don't intend to claim it, then you have discarded it.

Discard it before you get on the plane.

I don't think there was anything in their luggage worth 1 meeeelion dollars.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving winners"
"It was Kim and only Kim who bothered to check to see if that American Airlines flight was delayed."

Hey Joisey, I haven't had a chance to go back and re-watch, but did she actually check or did she find this out while trying to book? It appeared to me that she was calling to make flights and happened to find out that the flight was delayed, therefore Chip and Kim were able to get the other flight.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

ssshaw 548 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-22-04, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ssshaw Click to send private message to ssshaw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Chip AND Kim are very deserving winners"
I think you're right samboohoo. It seemed that way to me.

09-23-04, 10:22 AM (EST)
35. "You're right"
I went back and checked the tape. Kim was trying to book tickets on that American Airlines flight, and that's when they told her it was delayed. So by being the last person to call the airline, she was the one with the best information. Lucky on their part.

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-22-04, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I respecfully disagree I was on the edge of my seat (bed, whatever)the whole time Im so very glad chip and Kim one I feel they were very worthy and they took the time to enjoy the experience and were repsecful of the other cultures and people something the other 2 teams were not I truley feel like the best team one oh if I may add Brandon should have gotten his lazy rump out of the boat and checked the clue box himself!!! he get's ticked at Chip for his own laziness??!! Im so glad its over!!!!

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Overall, I was pleased with the finale. I would have been okay with any of the teams winning except the God Squad, because they whine too much. I wish it hadn't boiled down to flights so much, though.

Gotta hand it to THE MOMS! They really hung in there, and represented for us Older Than Dirt folk quite nicely. Also got give reluctant credit to Colin for a gracious second place speech.

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-22-04, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I agree Ginger. My 7 year old daughter watched the finale with me. She loves TAR. She was routing for Brandon and Nicole but even she was disappointed at Nicole and her freaking out on the bike. I didn't tell my daughter what I thought of B/N and I agree their whining was really annoying.

I thought everyone knew the rules about baggage. Anyone who's flown since Pan Am Flight 103 should know. If they hadn't checked the boxes they might have gotten on the same flight as Chip and Kim and then it would have been really close. Packing those boxes was the dumbest idea of the whole race. You've hauled that stuff around the world and you can't haul it the last leg? BONE HEAD MOVE.

*smooch* for ginger

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I am in disagreement with you also. I thought it was a great race and a great ending. In a marathon you don't sprint the whole way and lose energy at the end, you pace yourself through the race and put the big push on in the end when you need to.

Maybe Colin and Christie were thrown off track so much by being yielded that they never mentally recovered from being "betrayed" as Chip suggested. Or maybe they had expended so much energy into always being first that they had no energy left at the end when they needed it most.

C/C could have and should have anticipated the delay and had backup arrangements. I thought it a stroke of brilliance that Colin had the cab and best most aggresive driver ready to meet them in Dallas. But they missed a big and important detail, and lost because of it.

Now as for Chip and Kim, they worked well together, they didn't give up despite being last in to the airport.

I can use the analogy of a certain baseball team that wins all their games early in the season and continues to dominate the league. September rolls around and they start to fade as another team starts hitting on full cylinders. The first team starts into a mental tailspin they can't recover from, and the team that had been behind ends up coming through in the clutch. Maybe it even came down to a one game playoff between the two teams and one team wins the pennant based on what everybody argued was a bad call by the umpire. Does the team that came from behind deserve the title any less? I think not.

The Amazing Race has many elements to it, and luck is one of them, as it is with any game. As it was, Colin and Christie were lucky to get on the flight to Denver at all, it was oversold. Then they connected and were only 10 minutes behind instead of what should have been 2 hours.

2004 A S S
Trivia Champ
S9 PTB is Here, It's hot!!!!!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Second hour, great! Loved Kim and Chip, glad they lucked/worked out at the end.

First hour, BAH!

I realize this show has physical challenges, but that rock climb, right before the pit stop, sucked rocks. The Moms never had a chance. Sure they could have made the first flight, then maybe, but I still don't think they had a chance in hell of beating the men at that challenge.

I would like to see a new rule making teams alternate on the road blocks. It would make things a little more fair for the all female teams. (but not completely) Otherwise, they might as well have all teams of 2 men, or let the one who does ALL the roadblocks run the race alone.

I'd also like to see physical challenges at the beginning of the leg, and more mental games toward the end. (especially in the final legs) They should make those final challenges fair for all remaining teams, not just the teams with a strong guy on them.

ValenciaJoe 61 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ValenciaJoe Click to send private message to ValenciaJoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Excuse me if I am wrong, but didn't the earlier versions of Amazing Race required teams to alternate who does what during challenges? I thought I remembered something to that regard from the prior 4 versions of Amazing Race.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 04:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "That's not right"
>Excuse me if I am wrong, but didn't the earlier versions
>of Amazing Race required teams to alternate who does what
>during challenges? I thought I remembered something to that
>regard from the prior 4 versions of Amazing Race.

No. Several teams did alternate roadblocks, but that was because they agreed to do so, not because the producers mandated it.

I'll say again it's a bad idea to make any team member do a certain number of roadblocks, but there is some burden on the producers to sprinkle in a few tasks that weaker members can do efficiently.

"This is realitybites and I approved this post."

cayugasong 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-23-04, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cayugasong Click to send private message to cayugasong Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: That's not right"
>I'll say again it's a bad
>idea to make any team
>member do a certain number
>of roadblocks, but there is
>some burden on the producers
>to sprinkle in a few
>tasks that weaker members can
>do efficiently.

It's not a question of weaker versus stronger, in my opinion, it is more that the women on 3 teams in the final 4 just didn't do them - not that they couldn't. Kim made Chip do them. Nicole made Brandon do them. Colin wanted to do them and Christie let him. Those three women were just as capable as the men of doing the tasks - Linda and Karen, and Kami & Karli, proved that.

As a woman myself, I hate that princess thing that women use as an excuse to hang back and let men do things. The bowling moms proved that women can perform any of the tasks, even the rock wall. I suspect that if they had started that when Chip & Kim did, Chip might have been beaten in an even race to the top.

Bucky Katt 3146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-22-04, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bucky%20Katt Click to send private message to Bucky%20Katt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I agree with you Troobie-Doobie-Doo about the roadblocks getting dull. Chip, Colin and Brandon did almost all the tasks while their wife/girlfriend/crybaby stood and watched.

The "alternate each roadblock" rule has been brought up here before. I don't like that rule as it would take all the decision making out of each roadblock - whoever does the first roadblock would also do the third, fifth etc, while their partner would do the other ones. I like seeing teams make decisions at both the roadblocks and detours.

I think the rule should be that no one person can do three roadblocks in a row - that will make the decision making more interesting. It would also be more of an advantage to teams with two strong players and a disadvantage to teams with one strong and one weak player (FloZach).

"I have just discovered that this object I found is capable of scratching my back...I call it BACK SCRATCHER!"

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
You could mix it up though, and not make it a requirement at every roadblock. When teams get to a roadblock, the clue could say “either team member may perform the roadblock” or "the team member who performed the last roadblock may not perform this roadblock". That would add another element to the decision about who does the roadblock, forcing teams to think “If I do this one, will they make you do the next one?”

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-04, 00:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
i agree with the weasel. that would add some excitement to the show...
Handcrafted by RollDdice

NoParole 94 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NoParole Click to send private message to NoParole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I agreed with you at first, but after thinking about it... no. It doesn't matter what the challenge is, physical or mental, they are designed to help some teams catch up while slowing others down (taking advantage of strengths and weaknesses). And while the intellect of us "commoners" is relatively consistant, you must try to ensure you're in some kind of "shape" before you attempt a show like this. Yeah, I felt bad for the moms when I saw that cliff-acsend challenge, but, one of the team members must be able to perform the tougher challenges. I guess the moral is "pack brains AND brawn"...

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-23-04, 09:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
LAST EDITED ON 09-23-04 AT 09:58 PM (EST)

My solution to the roadblock dilemma would be for the producers to mix things up with clever wordplay in the "choose before you open the card" part. Have it so that every so often, whoever says "I'll do it!" has to do nothing but stand around while their partner gets semi-forced/tricked into doing the actual task.

That might be a little much, but the only real instance of this happening that I can recall was on TAR1, on the Sahara leg. Whoever chose to do the roadblock got to simply ride to the pitstop on a camel while their partner had to lead the beast the entire way on foot. That was fun. They should do something like that again.

scorpio 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-22-04, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail scorpio Click to send private message to scorpio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Actually, I am relieved. The "network" engineered this "race to the wire". Colon should still be languishing in an African jail for fraud, attempted fraud, obstruction of justice, disturbing the peace, and assault (ok verbal assault) on a peace officer. Without the executives running cover for him, he'd be lucky to be out by the end of the next TAR.

Tamena 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-22-04, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tamena Click to send private message to Tamena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Colin and Christies didn't win...
see sig below.
And never check your bags! that's what they make FedEx and UPS for! *wink*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

09-22-04, 08:45 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
It was a lame finish. Should of been decided by the teams not airlines. Past Amazing Races were infact races at the end. This one was not a race but about who got lucky with their flights. I don't care what those of you with Chip and Kim blinders say.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 08:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
Agree, Jacko. See my post in the Hindsight thread. I can't get the link to work.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

GameOver3 51 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 09:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GameOver3 Click to send private message to GameOver3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
How can people be bitching now about the flights deciding the finish?

The flights decided MANY eliminations for racers. Dennis/Erika, Jim/Marsha, Bob/Joyce, Charla/Mirna.

Lets say Dennis/Erika don't boot on the slow fight, then Linda/Karen get on the slow fight, as last on the fast one. Then we have Jim/Marsha or Linda/Karen gone first instead of Dennis/Erika.

Lets say that Marsha got onto the 10:30 flight with her dad and the twins are left behind. Then the twins are eliminated here.

What if Bob/Joyce didn't first get the class of tickets they couldn't fly with. They get into Russia earlier, and the Twins would have also gone here.

Again, what if the flight Charla/Mirna made to leap ahead worked and they with the Bowling Moms were on Charter flight #1 to Tanzania? They'd be 1 and 2 for that leg and once again, the Twins get eliminated.

Airports and the transportation ALWAYS decided the eliminations. If you took a bus instead of a cab, like Alislut/Donny, you get eliminated or almost last. Colin/Christie failed to do what they did almost every leg, which was race smart. They should have seen the fog and asked if it could be delayed and then checked on it.

Yes, Chip/Kim lucked out by being in last at the airport, but because they were slower at other tasks, they ended up getting an advantage in the airport, where almost all the legs were decided. But, it was the other two teams that made a mistake in their gameplay. It was the final leg and they let up on how they were playing, expecting it to all work out.

You take away how the airports screwed over a few teams and we have a completely different race. The twins get eliminated very early and we see Charla/Mirna last longer and possibly get to the Final leg and win. Hell, if that flight on leg one didn't mess up Dennis/Erika, they could have won. Airports and other transportation ALWAYS decide the legs. Its been that way in the past, except with the ending to TAR2, which sucked. Tara/Wil were at the run a few minutes before Chris/Alex, but because they ran slow, they lost.

Spider 164 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spider Click to send private message to Spider Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I agree that checking the luggage and not checking on flight status cost Colin and Christie the race. Dumb moves, bad luck.

I was little disappointed the way the race was constructed where you had a top team like CC, who were always first and doing well in challenges, and then would get caught up by the other teams every single time. They had no real advantage at all.

Only 1 time i think they had more than a couple of hours lead and then bag, all bunched up. Don;t get me wrong, Chip and Kim were lucky and won because they ran a good race and used the yield, but the team finishing first every time should be rewarded other than a holiday after the show.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 06:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
A sprinter with amazing ability wins all kinds of amatuer events and sets all kinds of world records on the way to qualifying for the olympics. They always beat this one person who can do no better than 2nd place.

The olympics arrive and on the final leg og the sprint for the gold medal, the sprinter who has been dominating stumbles on a rock and is passed by the runner who was always in 2nd place.

Gee, I don't think the guy that won the gold medal deserved the gold medal, it was all luck.

"It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

2004 A S S Trivia Champ
S9 PTB is Here, It's hot!!!!!

09-23-04, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
The best example of that would be at the olympics where that Brazillian dude dominated the whole marathon only to be attacked and wind up finishing in third.

09-23-04, 11:37 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I think it was decided by the teams. There is no way that c/k should have beat the other teams to the airport when c/k had the latest flight. I do believe that chip won the race two legs earlier, when he yielded colin. This caused colin to be so obsessed with beating him that he forgot how to play the game at the end and thats why he lost.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-22-04, 10:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I wonder if there is a way to reward first, second, and third place finishes during the race.

Perhaps a point system where first place in a leg earns an additional five or ten minute lead in the last leg. For example, if a team comes in first for five legs, they'd have an additional twenty five minutes lead on top of whatever their start time is for the last leg.

Descending points could be earned for second or third place finishes on each leg.

Would that work?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

jase 187 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 03:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jase Click to send private message to jase Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
I don't think a point system would be a good idea because the overall object of the game/race (as I see it) is to not be the last team to check in and not necessarily focusing on being 1st (until the end anyway).

Rewarding the 1st place team (as well as 2nd/3rd place teams) could/would result in a very boring show because you're giving teams unfair advantages over others when the race is ideally designed to have a level playing field where ANYONE can win. The 1st place team already receive a prize/trip at the end of each leg and giving them anymore than that would be pointless.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-04, 11:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "WORST.FINALE.EVER."
well, except for the last team with a Chip to win (what, is this a rule or something?) at least the finale in TAR 4 was still good, except for the last 5 minutes. i like Chip and Kim, but meh. the last hour sucked donkey balls. completely anticlimactic, unsuspenseful, and the result of dumb luck. i wouldn't be surprised if TAR 6 keeps getting pushed back to "never" because of this, it was so awful

also agree with true above - that roadblock was cool, but i knew as soon as B/N, C/K hit it that no matter how big a lead L/K managed to get, they had no shot

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 04:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: WORST.FINALE.EVER."
Worst finale ever?

Heh, you must have missed the finale of Survivor Marquesas!

Hey HE, how YOU doin?

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: WORST.FINALE.EVER."
hi Spidey! nope, i was happy with Marquesas. sure, i would have preferred a Kathy win, but was happy enough with Vee - someone i liked and who played a smart game - INCLUDING the decision to stab kathy in the back. and it was infinitely better than a neleH win (who, while i'm sure i'd like in real life, i detested on the show for her sickening sacchariness)

Survivor: Amazon though, that one gives this one a run for it's money, but that more for result than for the show itself (like TAR 4, as i said)

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
LAST EDITED ON 09-23-04 AT 03:11 PM (EST)

I completely fail to see how it was decided by the airlines. This is complete garbage. That idiot Colin was too stupid to figure out that fog might delay his flight? Or that you are not allowed to check baggage on one flight and then take another (a rule that has been there for well over a decade)? Bad judgment, pure and simple, is what lost the race for Colin and Christie. And it was a fitting end for them in that they had shown so much bad judgment throughout the whole race. They were only as competitive as they were simply because of Colin's athletic skills. That is not the only factor in this race. Good decision making is at least 50% (if not more) of what makes a winner in this. Chip and Kim learned from their mistakes, adjusted, and had excellent attitudes the entire race. Colin and Christie simply didn't do any of those things. Chip and Kim were completely deserving.

ETA: I typed so fast and furiously that I forgot about grammar and sentence structure. My bad.

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-04, 08:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Opinions of the Race and the Finale"
LAST EDITED ON 09-23-04 AT 10:30 PM (EST)

As usual, I agree with many of you, and others are, well, less then lucid (but I won't name names).
Just my 1/50th of a dollar -- First and formost, Congratulations to Chip and Kim on a Great Victory. It was truely an AMAZING RACE all the way from the (blood stained) Santa Monica Boardwalk to the wind-swept Dallas highlands.
The BOWLING MOMS were without a doubt the most inspirational in INCREDIBLE team ever! Not only are your kids proud of you, but everyone DAW here is!
Nikki and Brandon, you also did yourselves proud. You held strong onto your values and didn't let any of the Roadblocks (be they delt from Mr. Hands or others) get you down. BRAVO!
Colin and Christie ... you have my best hopes that whatever comes into your future, you can deal with it in a civil, mature manner.

But now to the FINALE ... Fess Up, Bruckheimer .. you have given your devoted fans a raw deal. Missing challenges, unseen flat tires (OK, alegedly flat tires), amazingly convienient flight delays (more then once!) and magically apprearing seats on overbooked flights, all in the name of TV drama.
Finger wag, finger wag, finger wag.

Not to mention those hideous Maple Leaf tooks foisted on Chip and Kim. (Early payback for ensuring their win??)

All that being said, I will still be there when TAR6 takes off, and will continue to promote the Greatest Reality Program on the Air with my friends and co-workers.

Maybe one of those finger wags should be aimed at your's truely...

TAR5 Casino Game "Foundation" Player
sigpic a GeorgiaBelle creation MMIV

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •