The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Hidden idol location speculation."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-15-06, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Hidden idol location speculation."
I may have some later, but I'm still trying to figure out how to explain where mine will next be appearing. For the real one -- at the moment, I think we're looking for an elevated or partially blocked view: something where part of the area vanishes. More clues will come, and the details will close in -- but right now, I think we can at least agree that Jonathan got it wrong.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... nailbone 09-15-06 1
 RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Flowerpower 09-15-06 2
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... michel 09-15-06 3
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... nailbone 09-15-06 4
       RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Flowerpower 09-15-06 5
           RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... PepeLePew13 09-15-06 6
               RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... JazzyJax 09-15-06 7
       RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Chez 09-15-06 8
       RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Brownroach 09-15-06 9
           RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... michel 09-15-06 10
               RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Brownroach 09-15-06 11
                   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Marooned4dollars 09-15-06 12
                   Exile Island Vidcaps... Flowerpower 09-15-06 13
                       RE: Exile Island Vidcaps... Outfrontgirl 09-19-06 18
 RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Outfrontgirl 09-16-06 14
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... dabo 09-17-06 15
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Flowerpower 09-19-06 17
 RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... TeamJoisey 09-19-06 16
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Brownroach 09-19-06 21
 RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Outfrontgirl 09-19-06 19
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Flowerpower 09-19-06 20
 A or A+? forehead 09-19-06 22
   Hi forehead! Flowerpower 09-19-06 23
       Hi FP! forehead 09-19-06 28
 RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... knuckles487 09-19-06 24
   RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Outfrontgirl 09-19-06 25
       RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Outfrontgirl 09-19-06 26
           RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... Flowerpower 09-19-06 27
       RE: Hidden idol location speculatio... VolcanicGlass 09-20-06 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
It seemed to me that he had the right idea, looking for the "A", but ignored the rest of the clue about an island vanishing.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
Great thread, Estee! Did anyone by any chance get the entire clue down? It really escaped me!

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
I have it on tape at home so if no one has it when I get back, I'll post it. It made me think to look at the southern part of the island that gets submerged at high tide.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
To make a top grade,
stand in a line.
If the southern isle vanishes,
a salvation you’ll find.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

09-15-06, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
Thanks so much, nailbone! Yes, I think he was right on with the first part of the clue, stand in A line, some time during high tide, when the lower southern isle vanishes....perhaps "top grade" means stand in "a" line at the highest point???

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-06 AT 03:30 PM (EST)

The 'top grade' is A ... and there's an A structure there. I think whoever's on Exile Island has to wait for high tide and then watch the area where the tide meets the beach once the southern isle vanishes -- the prize is right along the line from the A to the spot that the tide line is at.

If the exilee waits too long, then go to where the tide is, the hidden idol is buried under water.

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

JazzyJax 531 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-15-06, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JazzyJax Click to send private message to JazzyJax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
I agree, top grade has to be A.
Stand in a line? No idea since I don't know which way the A frame is facing at this point. Could this also be the front a-frame of the sunken boat? How far are the two apart? Could they be lined up somehow?
The southern isle doesn't have to be Exile Island, it could be one of the other little islets on the south side in view.

Chez 777 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-15-06, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chez Click to send private message to Chez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
Thanks for posting the clue, nailbone.

Can someone also post a vidcap of exile island itself so we can look at the picture and the clue together?

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-06 AT 04:51 PM (EST)

I'd have to see caps of the a-frame again, but I'm thinking maybe you are supposed to stand in a line directly behind the a-frame to the north, at a point far enough back (and maybe up) so that the top of the frame is obscuring an island in the distance when you look at it. The Idol is buried or hidden near the spot you are standing on.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-06, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
Very smart BR. That also could be it.

09-15-06, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-06 AT 05:35 PM (EST)

Hmm, well, maybe not. Fever has some images of Exile Island:

http://www.survivorfever.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=345

I'm having trouble pasting them over here. Exile Island looks pretty small though.

Marooned4dollars 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-15-06, 09:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Marooned4dollars Click to send private message to Marooned4dollars Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
I am not the sleuths that all of you long time observers are, but may I add an observation?

Looking at image # 9 from Fever I notice that the sun is setting in the background & the bow of the ship looks to be facing at a right angle of 3 o'clock to the setting sun. Since the sun sets in the West that would make the bow of the ship pointing to the North, & the stern pointing to the South.

Now if one would stand on the 'prow' of the ship (the top), & look thru (line up) the 'A' (top grade) one would be looking at the bushes at the southern end of Exile Island.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

P.S. This is all based on the hopes that the sun is 'setting' & not 'rising.

09-15-06, 10:13 PM (EST)
13. "Exile Island Vidcaps..."
Thanks SFever!

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-06, 07:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Exile Island Vidcaps..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-06 AT 07:12 AM (EST)

moving this post to a different position to help with margins.

09-16-06, 03:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 09-16-06 AT 05:54 PM (EST)

Hey guys,
nice work on the "A" structure ...

The southern island is Motukitiu (home to Aitu tribe), so I'm thinking a player needs to find the right line of sight, using the A structure, to where Motukitiu vanishes (is blocked).

Exile island is a little sand spit between One Foot Island and Motukitiu. Fever caps are great!

Here is the Phoenix page with an overhead of it ...
http://resources.survivorphoenix.com/graphics/gallery/S13ExileIslandLocation/Exile_Island_Views

I have some pics of the island (minus the structure), taken last month by a traveler. I can post them if you want.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

09-17-06, 02:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
My initial impression of the clue: Find the most prominent (elevated) place on Exile Island, observe southward for a direct line to the idol. Sunset might be the indicator, or if they have decided to be really devious it could be high tide.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

09-19-06, 06:45 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."

I have some pics of the island (minus the structure), taken last month by a traveler. I can post them if you want.

Definately, OFG, please post them! Anything will help! I agree with yours and BR's interpretation of the clue. Align with the a structure to a point where the southern isle disappears and start digging! Obviously the idol is buried on this little spit as there is nothing above ground, really.

Would love to see the pics that you have!

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-19-06, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
My theory, which is in the summary at Survive This!, includes the big A, of course, but also that the ship set piece obscures the southern island. The clue indicates the correct spot to dig is where the A is visible and the island is not. I do not think this is going to be a location that is ever covered by water.

09-19-06, 10:54 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
That makes sense to me, TJ -- I was thinking along the same lines but that the A would obscure it -- however, that doesn't seem possible since the island is level. But if you back up far enough behind the A, at some point the ship might completely obscure the island. I agree the tide doesn't have anything to do with it.

09-19-06, 07:14 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-06 AT 07:32 AM (EST)

Here you go, Flowerpower --

Here are some pics taken after the shoot at high tide. Maybe they'll help show how the islands line up.
But first, to orient the caps:
looking towards the reef on the east the A is to the south of the ship.

Here, One Foot island is in the top right corner, top center is Aitutaki with Moturakau in front of it;

The sunset pic is right at Low Tide and maximum sand is exposed.
On Day 3, low tide was at 6:02 pm and sunset at 6:12 pm.

Below, looking towards EI and the southern island from One Foot at slightly different angles, you can maybe see how the southern island might get lined up so that it disappears from view, except the southern isle is a lot higher than anything natural on Exile Island. So one would need to use the ship, maybe get down close to the ground, maybe line the ship or oneself up with the A?

The pics above were taken just about high tide.
Pic below LOW tide. A lot more sand visible on One Foot side.

this is HIGH tide, taken from One Foot.

Now if someone wants to paint in the ship and the A ...
be my guest.

Lastly, here's a close-up of the lovely foliage, very hospitable.

09-19-06, 08:36 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-06 AT 08:44 AM (EST)

WOW! Ask and you shall receive! These pics are wonderful....really gives us the full perspective. Thanks so much for posting, OFG! Almost looks as though you could walk/swim to one of the other islands from EI. I wonder if that would be allowed...sure would help them get more food perhaps? And the "Southern Isle" is far larger. I think you are right, they probably have to back up beyond the "A" line to a point where the isle disappears!

Thanks for posting, great shots! Really gave me a MUCH better perspective!

ETA:

So, the vidcap above should show exactly where the hidden idol is buried. To the north side of the "A" line, the survivor should follow the "A" line north, while looking south, to a point where the southern isle view is completely blocked, and that is where to start digging?

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-06, 01:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "A or A+?"
Jonathan on the Insider:

---
The clue that they gave me to find the idol was something like, "To make top grade, stand in a line, and if the Southern island disappears, reward will be thine," or something. I took that to mean make the top grade means A or A+. There's a figure, there's a masthead stuck in the sand that makes a kind of A shape. I was trying to stand in the line and make an A or figure how to make an A+ out of it. Then when I made I looked down and looked around and couldn't see the Southern island, which is over there (motions arm) from where we are, I started digging. Made sense to me. Might still make sense, but I haven't found it yet.
---

From Fever:
http://www.survivorfever.net/s13_ep1_survivor_insider.html

forehead

09-19-06, 01:51 PM (EST)
23. "Hi forehead!"
Thanks for the link! But more importantly, it's great to see you! Sure hope you'll be sticking around as it's back to basics here with no major boot list spoilers yet!!!!

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-06, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "Hi FP!"
To do list:
send PM to FP - check

knuckles487 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-19-06, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail knuckles487 Click to send private message to knuckles487 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."

Unless all those pictures were taken at noon (and we know they weren't because of the setting sun) how come none of the shadows seem right?

That A frame structure should cast a pretty good size shadow, and it would move laterally throughout the day and grow longer the later it gets in the day. Could it be possible that a person would have to stand in the shadow at a particular time when it is in such a position that you cannot see the southern island? (perhaps because the wrecked ship or the bushes are in the way) Most likely in a particular part of the shadow.

It would also have to narrow it down to a general area I would think since a persons heighth would have an affect on it. I'm 6'7" so I could stand in a certain spot and still see over an obstacle that a person 5'7" wouldn't be able to see from the same spot.

The clue says "if" the island disappears, so the tide shouldn't have anything to do with it since if it did the clue would say "when" the island disappears.

Is this feasible or am I still just full of something?

09-19-06, 07:19 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
The tide wouldn't affect the disappearance. The high tide would cover areas of Exile Island where you can stand or dig at low tide, which is why I posted two pics that show the sandbar isn't equally big at all tides. But I agree that this first clue isn't about time of day; it's about where you position yourself I think.

The bushes aren't very tall. Anywhere a person stands on that sandpit the southern island is easily visible. It's a big island and it's right there next to Exile Island. The only way to block it out is to use a structure as screen (or lie down or kneel, but you could do that anywhere).

FP, you're welcome about the pics ... there's a pretty good current running between it and the southern island and One Foot too, so to safely get across would depend on having extremely calm conditions and low tide. Not that they're allowed to do it.

We should recall that Clue #1 probably isn't meant to be good enough to help someone find the idol. Terry had three clues, right? And he needed all of them IIRC. Exile #1 is set up to get frustrated for our amusement.

09-19-06, 07:24 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
PS.
I hope I'm not sounding like these aspects should be obvious. The only reason I know some of this is because I've physcically been there. I really suck at figuring out vidcaps and admire all you more talented folks. Just hoping that my visit there will be of some use as I'm normally no help at all!

09-19-06, 07:52 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
OFG: It's thrilling to have one of "us" who has actually been to one of the Survivor Sites...sort of like our own Dan and Wezzie! You are so descriptive about the Cook's that I feel like I'm familiar with the area too! Keep it coming, OFG!

VolcanicGlass 428 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-20-06, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VolcanicGlass Click to send private message to VolcanicGlass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Hidden idol location speculation."
>We should recall that Clue #1
>probably isn't meant to be
>good enough to help someone
>find the idol. Terry
>had three clues, right?
>And he needed all of
>them IIRC.

Terry actually had four clues, though the first clue could have been sufficient. The second clue and third clues stated that the idol was above the water table and that it was burried. Each time someone was exiled, the search area was narrowed down on the map.

Back to this season: depending on where one lines up, the masts line up correctly.

From the Intro...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •