The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Probst media teleconference 9/7"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-08-06, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Probst media teleconference 9/7"
Mucho thanks to SurvivorFever for posting it. A lot of it is extremely repetitive regarding the racial casting. Seems like Probst was put on the hot seat.

Not much specific about contestants but I bolded what stuck out to me:

Survivor: Cook Islands
Jeff Probst Media Teleconference

Probst Conducted a Teleconference in Which He Answered Questions from Various Members of the Media - 9.07.06
Please credit:
Transcript by SurvivorFever.net

Question: Let me ask you about some of the reaction to the new alignment of the tribes. Have you been surprised at all by the reaction and what are your thoughts about it now?

Jeff: I think when most people hear the idea their first reaction is to flinch a little bit. It's a sensitive topic and we understand that. But I think if people give it a chance they are going to be surprised at the results. I think there are some who are probably very familiar with Survivor and still just don't think this was a good idea. That's a fair and valid opinion. I also think, in addition to people who are familiar with the show and just don't like the idea, there are a lot of people who have never seen Survivor, have absolutely no idea what they are condemning but are using this as a platform for their own agenda. I hope that all the people who have their megaphones out condemning the show before they've ever seen a minute of it will be just as vocal when it's over. And if you still don't like it after you've seen it, shout it out. But if it surprised you or your expectations were reversed, I hope you'll be just as vocal.

Question: You guys did the casting or the picking of the contestants a little bit differently. Could you talk a little bit about actually having to go out and reach out to people to fill out these teams? And how that made things different?

Jeff: Once we decided that we were going to have the most ethnic diverse cast in the history of TV as far as I know, it required us to go out and find these people. We don't have many minorities that apply to the show. So we did go to church groups and we did go to cultural centers. Literally, it was the biggest casting endeavor we've done in 13 seasons. In the beginning it seemed like a daunting task. What we discovered in the process is, we found the most fresh cast of people that we've had going back to season one. Because we're finding people who aren't Survivor savvy. They haven't applied to the show. In a lot of cases they didn't even watch it. Which is another interesting thing. When you build a show and put a majority of the people on the show white and you have white people watch it, it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We got into the Hispanic community and we start finding people who think, 'wow Survivor, it sounds like a very cool idea. You mean I live on my own, I get to build shelter and fish and I could win a million dollars.' When we were in the room we start looking at these people and we go, "Wow, we're having fresh points of view again." We don't have people coming in saying, "I'm gonna be just like Colby." Now we have people coming in saying, "I think it's a pretty cool idea that I can get out there and fish. That sounds fun." All of a sudden the show in our minds re-birthed itself. Which is a direct correlation to why we started the show the way we did this season. We start the show exactly like we did Season One. Because Mark really reconnected with his original idea for the show. Immediately during casting I remember Mark saying, "This is like Season One. Let's start the show like Season One." For all of us it really did reenergize us. I'm telling you, if you watch this season you'll feel that. I think you'll sense a freshness.

Question: I understand that more of the cast than usual seem to have show business ties. At least one of them has been on a lot of sitcoms. In spreading out the net did you find yourself with more bartender/waiter and actress wannabees than usual or is there a reason why so many people seem to have some attachment to show business?

Jeff: I could be completely off my rocker here but that seems absolutely wrong. I'm thinking of the people that I know on the show and what they do.

Follow Up: Let's see...Jonathan Penner...

Jeff: Jonathan is a writer and a producer

Follow Up: ...and was on Grapevine, The Naked Truth but those were guest spots.

Jeff: Jonathan is a working person in show business in Hollywood. We knew that.

Follow Up: ...Somebody who used to be on The Grind on MTV? A guitar player and a heavy metal...this is somebody else's research...

Jeff: I want to do this. Don't misread me. Guitar player is Billy Garcia. He's a heavy metal guitarist. It has nothing to do with Hollywood. What's interesting about him is he says "I believe in the church of metal." That is one of his quotes. He's not show business, he's a musician. He's passionate about music and heavy metal.

Follow Up: A cop who has been a technical advisor on cop movies and appeared on several one shot cable reality shows.

Jeff: Who is that?

Follow Up: Cristina, she's a cop. She's been a cop her whole life but she has worked in show business.

Jeff: Let me just tell you, Cristina is not only a cop, Cristina is a cop who was shot in the line of duty in a somewhat notorious shootout down in Santa Monica, I think on the pier. Her father was a cop who was killed in the line of duty. To put Cristina in the category of an actor, somebody looking to try and find a hole. Cristina is a cop in her blood.

Follow Up: I understand but it seems as if you tried to find people who...and this has happened in the past...who were a little more likely to be interested in some aspects of show business.

Jeff: If you said this to our casting director she would probably fall over from exasperation. It was the single biggest casting job we've ever had. It got down to where we were literally calling Miss Korea Town Pageant in Seattle, Washington to see if there were any females in the ages 19 to 30 who might be interested in Survivor. That's how deep we dug. <<<BR's reaction: LOL.) So if we ended up with people who you can extrapolate out and find some pentacle that relates back to TV or show business maybe it's just more of a sign of this world and that there's so much out there that sooner or later that everybody is connected 6 degrees. I guess the point is, I don't have an answer to your question. I get it. I would say that I've always been candid. I've always been honest in what I feel about this stuff. This is the most fresh, diverse, interesting group of people with completely varied backgrounds that I think we've had since season one. To me it's not even worth spending much more time when we have so many more interesting things to talk about.

Follow Up: Now that you've had this kind of casting. Can you see them going back to this kind of casting in the future where race is not the issue but you just want to have a much more diverse group?

Jeff: Absolutely. I was delighted once this idea came along. You know, Mark has a lot more at stake. It's his brand. It's his show, he's risking a lot. And obviously CBS network has a ton at stake. But for me, the white guy from Wichita who hosts the show...I loved...the minute everything was a go, I felt in my heart, we'll never go back, we can't. I think Mark knew it as well. We just reinvented our show. It might not be as dramatic...you might not feel the impact of that - that we feel but it wouldn't surprise me if a few years from now people look back and say, "Remember when Survivor did that? And all the hoopla? And now it's more commonplace?" That wouldn't surprise me at all and is why I think it's such a positive idea because you're going to see more ethnicities represented certainly on our show from this point forward. Think about that. A young Hispanic kid now gets turned onto Survivor because there's somebody he can relate to and it opens up a world to him. Maybe he decides to travel as a result of seeing this show. Or maybe he sees something in this Hispanic kid that he can connect with and he decides to go do what that kid does. Just the possibilities of what could happen with this to me are endless.

Question: I wanted to talk to you about some of the locals coming from the Bay Area, Yul and Cecilia. Yul, I know was one you guys had to reach out to the community to get. Can you tell me what these people brought to the Survivor experience?

Jeff: Yul was one of the most interesting guys. He is one of the most interesting guys I've ever met. Without question one of the smartest guys. Scored incredibly high on his IQ test. And not surprising, was the only person, who, when he found out how we were dividing the tribes, questioned it. He said, "What I'm concerned is that what you're going to do is portray stereotypes." And we said that we certainly didn't go for that in casting. We weren't trying to stunt cast this show. As far as the people on the show, we're simply going to observe. And Yul was fine with that. I don't know that Yul is even a huge Survivor fan.

Follow Up: I don't think he is.

Jeff: But he studied the show. As somebody who wants to play this game and have a shot at winning he's studied the show. I remember one of the comments he made is that he did feel the show had integrity in it. He was not concerned about that. We said, "We're not going to do anything differently this season." Yul was fine with it. Yul is a player. You underestimate Yul, you'll be going home before he will. Absolute fact. Cecilia, I think Cecilia was much the same way. I don't think she was, I could be wrong on this, I don't think Cecilia was super familiar with the show either. Cecilia brings a completely different point of view to the show. Cecilia is aware of her charm with men. She's aware that is a valid way to play the game. It's a valid way to live in society. To navigate relationships with whatever tools you have. Cecilia was one of the people that, when we were talking with people in casting we had extensive conversations, we spent a lot more time with people than we normally do. I remember with Cecilia there was a lot of ethnic pride. There was no question about her ethnicity. No question about where her time was socially spent. With who it was spent. That's kind of what triggered us into dividing into four groups. Initially we just wanted to have 20 people with different ethnicities but when we started sitting down and I remember distinctly with Cecilia, we started realizing, wow her life is steeped in culture that is different from ours. Certainly from mine. That's when the idea came that we should go with the positive thing of ethnic pride. Let people have to figure out who to vote out on their own tribe. Where in a sense all things are equal unless you have differences within your culture, which we discovered existed. Cecilia was sort of indirectly involved in helping us discover the second layer of the idea which was the division.

Question: One of the things that struck me is hearing you talk about how diversity has energized the show, some of us critics have been asking you guys to present a more diverse cast on this show and on Mark's other shows for years. I wonder why did it take you guys so long to try what a lot of critics were asking you guys to try in the first place. And why were you so surprised that by adding diversity you would get a diversity of viewpoints. Which is exactly what we have been saying for years.

Jeff: The first half of your question, why did it take so long, I have to preface this by saying, I don't run a network. So I don't know all the decisions that go into that. I'm sure if I did it would make more sense. TV is a business and at the end of the day it comes down to advertisers and all sorts of things that I don't understand. So I don't know why television is taking so long to be representative of what this country is really like. I only know that it's finally coming time with Survivor and CBS and I'm glad about that. It's time. We aren't going to go backwards. I hope we don't in my reign with the show because I will fight hard against it and there won't be any reason to. The show is too...it is absolutely more interesting this season than last season for no other reason than we have different points of view. You see people make fire in different ways. In the first episode, there's one guy who has a headache. There's another guy on his tribe who refers to headache as "you've got a case of the wind". He starts to massage this guy's head really aggressively. And he says, "You're going to get a little red dot but your headache's going to go away." And you watch it and the guy goes, "Wow, my headache's gone". And on camera, there, a red dot appears on his forehead. You would never have seen that last season. Because we didn't have that culture, that ethnic group, that background, that history, that point of view to life presented on the show. As far as why am I surprised? I'm not surprised. It's a good question because you make me realize that if I really sat down and thought about it as a guy who grew up in Wichita, Kansas where racial diversity still is going strong. There will be people in the South who will think something different. So I guess I'm not surprised. That's why I said those opinions of people who are criticizing us are valid and fair and they have their place. All I'm saying is, you have to admit, you have to recognize you're condemning our show before you've seen it. And that is not fair or just. So keep the megaphone in your right hand and push that talk button again when you've seen the finale and tell me if this was everything you thought it was going to be. Or if maybe it was a little actually inspiring and positive.

Follow Up: I think one of the reasons why people have been critical is not just because they are concerned about what the concept is but because they've seen how Mark Burnett's shows have handled race. They've seen Gervase Petersen, Sean Rector, the Omarosas. In the limited instances that Mark Burnett's shows have handled race divisions, they haven't handled them very well. They seem to have cast people who were very stereotyped (?) including a black guy who can't swim.

Jeff: Except for the first season I've been in every casting session. I have thought that everybody we put on the show was going to be great. With a couple of exceptions, we've had a couple of people who didn't perform well. For the most part I've been very happy with everybody we've put on the show. For instance, if you have a season and you only have one black guy and everybody else is white. So you have 15 white people and one black guy and that black guy doesn't perform or that black guy can't swim or that black guy quits, it's like a beacon screaming that this is poor casting or this is misrepresenting or you're portraying a stereotype. But if you look across the board at all the jackasses that we've had on the show who were white, all the people who are white who can't swim, all the people who are white who make the same ridiculous social mistakes, all the white people who are lazy, all the white people who are bigots. You could draw a list percentage wise that would probably equal out. It just so happens most of the people on the show have been white. I think the observation you make is correct. I think the conclusion you've drawn is not correct. I can tell that like with Osten. Osten was working on Wall Street, from a good school, ripped physically, one of the buffest guys we've ever had on the show. And he was so well spoken in the room in terms of social skills. We go in thinking Osten can win this game. If he makes it to the individual portions nobody will beat him. Not only does Osten not win the game, he doesn't make it to the individual portion because he quits! Cause he's tired! And worn out. You can't predict that. And Osten regrets it. To this day he regrets it cause he knows he let himself down. Sean Rector, couldn't swim, you're right. We told Sean six weeks before, we've had a lot of people who didn't know how to swim. Cirie didn't know how to swim. She started taking swimming lessons. Sean, it was a big thing for him. Sean was on the boat before we get in there asking me if there are sharks in this ocean. I said, "Sean, there are sharks in every ocean, man." But one of the greatest moments ever in Survivor, didn't even make the show, is during a challenge with Sean where you had to dive down and get a shell. There's five people and four shells. So whoever doesn't come up with one doesn't get one. A white woman bails because she can't dive. Nobody says anything about that, she's out of the challenge. Sean tries to dive, can't get a shell. He's about to quit. I'm sitting on the dock, I go "Sean look where you are. You're in the middle of the Marquesas Islands. You have a free shot at this. She's already quit. We're never coming back here and we're not leaving until you get a shell. Sean looked at everybody, everybody started encouraging him. Sean dove down, dove down, dove down, forth time he dives down comes up with a shell. Now he lost in the next round but he overcame a huge obstacle. Is that a negative or a positive?

Follow Up: Well, we didn't get to see it so we don't know.

Jeff: No, you didn't get to see it because the show moves so fast and we had to keep the story going onto who was winning. That's one of the unfortunate things about the show. We could do 90 minutes every week and nobody would be bored for a second but we only have 44 minutes.

Question: I'd like to go back to your comments about being a white guy from Wichita. I'm a white guy who grew up in El Paso so I grew up with a lot of diversity. One of the things this casting concept has done is kind of made me examine the lack of diversity in my life. I wonder if it's made you examine what your life is like in terms of diversity?

Jeff: It absolutely has. I grew up in Wichita and did not have diversity. I had white and black. The black community lived west of 13th street and the white community lived east of 13th street. When I moved back there to go to college my girlfriend got me an apartment, I had moved away and she got me an apartment on 21st Street. That was not my area. It was a completely different world when I lived there. I had not been exposed to it. I didn't know anybody who was Jewish. I didn't know anybody who was Hispanic. I didn't know anybody Asian-American. So I had a very limited upbringing. Actually through Survivor and going to all parts of the world I started meeting different people and we have 25 different countries represented on our crew. Here's a story that just happened to me a few days ago. Maybe this will speak to the naiveté of my life still at 44. I'm at my dentist office, he's a white guy. He brings in another doctor, he's an Asian guy. We're sitting there and they're looking at my teeth. I found myself without even thinking about it saying to the Asian doctor, "Where in Asia are you from?" He said, "Oh, we're Korean." And we had a little chat about Korea. The only reason I had the courage to even ask that question or the knowledge to ask that question was because I've just spent 39 days with some people from Korea and I learned a little bit about the fact that Asia has Chinese, Japanese and Korean and Vietnamese and they don't necessarily get along. And there's a hierarchy within that culture. Stuff that maybe I should know as a human being that's lived 44 years. I now feel like anything is okay to ask. I saw a guy this morning and I said something about being African-American and he said, "Actually I'm half and half. I'm white and I'm black." He looked black and I'm like...God why did I assume he's African-American other than saying, "What ethnicity are you?" This show has completely changed my perspective about how I view other ethnicities. Not in terms of judging them but in terms of understanding that it's okay to not know something. It's okay to ask a question because I'm not from this world. The truth is, when I look around my circle of friends, most of them are white. I don't know why that is. When I look at most of my other friends it's the same situation. I got back to what I said earlier. The best experience that I've had on Survivor in terms of opening my eyes this season, I loved learning new slang. In casting we would ask a person what they thought of other ethnic groups and hearing the stereotypes of what one group has towards another and especially what every group has toward whites, it's fascinating. It gives you insight into how you're seen and how you see others.

Follow Up: This season will we get a sense of people defying those stereotypes and the show is edited for maximum impact so are we going to see racial strife, are we going to see people defying stereotypes? Without spoiling anything what can you say that we'll see out of this season?

Jeff: At the end of the day I think you'll see that we handled it very responsibly and honestly and in an entertaining fashion. We're certainly not setting out to portray the basic stereotypes that everybody knows. That's a waste of time and energy. It would have a negative impact and do damage. We're not trying to do that. On the other hand, we're not going to avoid anything that does happen out there. These are simply 20 people. Do the five African-Americans represent the African-American community? You have to ask them and I did and, different points of view. Some said "Yeah there's a responsibility." Some said, "Hell no, I'm trying to win a million dollars and I don't really care what your color is if you help me get there." It's a great question, it's impossible to answer unless you watch the show. I can tell you that your question comes up on the show. And in fact in the second episode the notion of stereotypes and when you perpetuate them comes up in the second episode within one tribe. They have a debate about whether they're helping to perpetuate their own stereotype. I mean by behaving in a certain way. And it becomes an argument. It's fascinating.

Question: Jeff, going back to why TV has taken so long to be representative of society but you really didn't address why Survivor has taken so long to get this diverse cast and what prompted the producers to go in this direction.

Jeff: What prompted us to go in this direction started out very organically. Mark calls a meeting and five or six of us sit down, it's the same people every year. We're the creative nucleus. And we say, alright, what are the ideas. And a lot of the time Mark already has the ideas. He says, "This is what I want to do." A lot of the time Mark will come in and he'll say, "What do we have, what's on the board? What have we talked about in the past that we haven't used yet? Maybe the time is right or maybe this cast fits in a little better. Or maybe the location speaks to it." And this time we sat around and we all felt that from a competition point of view, last season was very competitive. There was a night where The Olympics, American Idol, Dancing With the Stars and Survivor were all on. We're in our 12th season. We realize we're still getting top 10 numbers but we don't want to lose that. What can we do. So we started talking about some ideas and this notion of what are we criticized for? What could we turn on its head? The thing that we're always criticized for is that "your show is not ethnically diverse enough." In other words: your show is too white. That's a sensitive topic as we're seeing by all the reaction to this. So we start saying, okay if we're going to do that and we could, we have to do it. We cannot go half way. We can't just have five people of color. We have to have an ethnically diverse cast. You know Burnett, he wants it to be the most ethnically diverse cast in the history of TV. Which suddenly becomes pretty inspired and interesting. That's how that idea started. And like I said, we didn't know that we were going to divide them into groups based on ethnicity until we started realizing how much ethnic pride there was and that became something kind of fun and positive and it became a creative idea. In terms of why we haven't done that before, I'm not avoiding the question. I'll get lacerated if I try to speak for Leslie Moonves and CBS. I don't know why there is not more ethnic diversity and you're saying why not on our show. I think it's about 85% of the people who apply to our show are white. So we haven't really considered going out and finding other people. We've had plenty of people, thousands of people apply, still every season, who want to be on our show. We don't want people who are going to quit. We don't want to have to convince you. You've got to really want to be on Survivor to get on Survivor. Because if you say something in the casting room like, "I think it would be fun to be on your show." You're out the door. We're not looking for that. We've seen you and you quit in episode three. So we had plenty of people apply to do another season, of 85% white people. Once we decided to be more ethnically diverse we had to go out and get those people. It wasn't a decision where CBS said, okay we're out of ideas, I guess we have to do this. It came from a very organic place and suddenly it was a good idea. The time is right and let's do it.

Follow Up: I'm also wondering about the behind the scenes diversity on Survivor. How many of the top production team or producers...how many people of color are in powerful positions?

Jeff: There are definitely people of color behind the scenes. One of our most senior producers is an African-American woman. One of the most senior people at CBS who is involved in the show on a daily basis is Asian-American. Our show is a rainbow in terms of the creative team which extends to the photographers, all of that team, 350 people who travel with this circus called Survivor - last season I think we had 20 countries represented. We have people that are all over the world that are our technicians or our creative people or our editors or whatever. I feel that the show is very diverse in terms of worldliness. If you're asking can we have more diversity. We could always have more diversity. Sometimes I think Burnett in his own naiveté, his own desire for people to get along and be happy, I think Burnett is misread sometimes. Conversations like this never come up. I kind of feel like you're painting a picture of a bunch of white people sitting around in a room saying "I wonder what the minorities are thinking about this." That is completely not the case.

Follow Up: One last question. What's your reaction to the sponsors who have pulled out of the show?

Jeff: It's amazing how momentum can go. I heard that GM was out of the show months ago. This is me, I'm just the host. I remember I made a joke that it must have been because everybody who won the car lost the show. It became a joke on the show that I would say, "You're aware of the GM car curse? And you still want to win this car?" "Yes, Jeff, I'm going to be the one to break the curse." Well in 12 seasons nobody ever broke it. I don't really know the reason GM pulled out but I'm telling you on my family's name, they were out months ago. And it could not have had anything to do with race because we didn't even know that we were doing that yet.

Question: The Jonathan Penner situation. Is this going to be like Hogeboom or do people recognize him and he fesses up to who he is?

Jeff: Naw, whatever guest stars that we were referencing earlier, I don't know what they were but Jonathan is a writer or producer, that's what he is known for. And his wife is a director. They are a Hollywood family but no, you'll never recognize Jonathan. You'll certainly, though, remember Jonathan.

Follow Up: No one in the competition recognizes him?

Jeff: No.

Follow Up: And you say that we'll remember him. Why will we remember him?

Jeff: Jonathan is a great character. What was fun about Jonathan is, he is a writer. He can be very entertaining. He can be overly dramatic if it calls for it. He can be understanding if that's what you need. And he can lacerate you if he feels that's appropriate. But he does it with such a deft touch that it's very entertaining to watch. Jonathan makes an impact early on because he's such a good storyteller.

Follow Up: I count about a dozen people from California. I think 7 from L.A. Was that a function of this need to go out and recruit. How did this end up such a California-centric group of competitors?

Jeff: Probably in the sense that when we're recruiting we're able to spend more time and resources in California. I can tell you that we've reached out across the country. And I know because a friend of mine told that a friend of his just got a call from our casting director. I said, "For what?" He said, "To be on the show." I said, "Who is she?" He said, "Well she's Korean and she was Miss Korean in Seattle in 1994." That's how deep we dug. At the end of the day, you pick the 20 best people. As much as we'd like to have somebody from Cincinnati and one person from Detroit that would be great because then you would get rooting appeal from those cities but you can't sacrifice that for the best people. If the best people end up coming from L.A. then that's where they come from.

Question: In terms of the sponsors who reportedly pulled out of the show, General Motors, Home Depot, Campbell's Soup, Coca-Cola, Proctor and Gamble, and Johnson and Johnson. Have all of those sponsors pulled out of sponsoring the show in recent weeks?

Jeff: No, no it was what I was saying earlier. Home Depot has been a part of Survivor for a long time. We know who our sponsors are going to be fairly early on because we have to design...

Follow Up (interruption): Did these sponsors pull out specifically because of the controversy over the ethnic casting? The way in which you've done this season?

Jeff: That's a question for CBS...

Follow Up (Interruption): Are these companies still sponsoring...

Jeff: If you're going to ask me a question let me answer or I'll say ask and answer and you can write whatever the hell you want. I am the host of the show. With all due respect to your question, I have never ducked a question in 7 years of doing this show. I can't say for all of those you just said. I know that when we started doing creative on our show for the first time ever, we didn't have any products that we needed to integrate into the show and that was a bit of a shock because we always have in previous seasons. This goes back 8 weeks before we even stumbled upon this casting idea. This is when we're designing the challenges and the rewards and figuring out do we need to include Home Depot in some sort of a challenge. CBS said "No, we're not going to have any sponsors in the show." Why they pulled out could be many different reasons. I would know if somebody pulled out because they heard about this. The problem with your question is that we already shot the show. So they couldn't have pulled out in the last few weeks.

Follow Up: So they pulled out in hearing about the show? So you guys did not make any changes to the format when the sponsors began to make concerns?

Jeff: None of the people you are talking about now were ever in this season. We started doing our creative for this season five months ago. None of them were in. We start building our challenges. We know our location. We have our rewards and if that's the point where we say, "Okay this is going to be the Home Depot reward and what we're going to do is give them tools and get them to build a bathroom which will tie into the Proctor and Gamble reward." CBS marketing came to us and said, "You have nobody to deal with this season. We have no product integration in this show. You don't have to worry about it." It was two months after that we started casting and came up with the ethnic diversity. We already had our challenges designed and starting to be built on location. So simply from a time point of view sponsors were out long before this creative idea came to be. And I'm not even certain we would tell them that. I don't know that we would. So for them to hear about it 3 weeks ago, they couldn't pull out if they were a sponsor. They're already in.

Follow Up: Besides General Motors are any of the companies on that list not in this year, whether it's product integration or simply as a sponsor of the show in any form that have been in years past?

Jeff: You already know your answer, you just want a quote from me. I'm just asking you that when you write this story that you represent what I'm saying. Only you will know if you're doing it because I'm really trying to give you an answer. It's probably better answered by a CBS exec but I'm on this call with you and I know what you're going for. There are companies who have been a sponsor in seasons past and they're not a sponsor on this season and to the best of my knowledge and what I was told months ago, those decisions where made long before what we were going to do creatively with ethnic diversity and division.

Question: Jeff, this whole thing with this ethnic diversity. You guys could have been good citizens and gone out and created a great ethnic cast and put it on the air and been done with it. I think what people are getting stuck on is the divisions that you created here. What was the debate like going into this? Should we do this? Should we not do this?

Jeff: We actually felt that dividing them ethnically was a positive idea because it came from our discussions with them in casting when we kept coming up with the same theme and that was ethnic pride. Which I have to be honest, when you are just talking to a group of quote/unquote white people, it doesn't come up. White people are just mutts. We're just white. We don't have any ethnicity that we hang onto unless you break us down to, well, I'm Italian or I'm Irish or whatever. So when you start talking to someone from Asia and you talk to another person and another person and you realize, wow these guys all have different backgrounds. And they all spend their Saturday afternoons doing something different than I do. And they date primarily within their own ethnic group. And they still go back to Asia because their grandmother lives there. Suddenly you start going, 'this is really powerful.' And it's something that I'm not used to. Instead of integrating everybody right from the start, now you have one black guy, one Asian guy, one white guy and one African-American guy why don't we start them in a grouping that would seem not only fair but also would show pride. And now you have to vote somebody out from your own group and that complicates things. How are you going to do it? Because now it's going to come down to who's contributing and who's not. And knowing what Survivor is, pretty soon, we're not going to leave you there for long, we're going to integrate you. Now the question is, will you stick with your own ethnic group because you've already made bonds or simply based on skin color? Or more likely will you look to make alliances with people who can provide shelter or provide fish or who you like? In other words, people who will help you to the end so you can win?

Follow Up: But doesn't that happen at every outting(?) anyway? Maybe not in racial situations but my tribe versus your tribe? People form relationships and bonds in these tribes to begin with.

Jeff: Well, yes, the whole reason that you divide people into groups initially is to try and give them some identifiable grouping. So we've done old men/young women, old women/young men, and we've done men versus women. All those ideas come from the idea that let's see if we can get them to say "okay we're this group", "we're the old guys" or "we're the women", "we're gonna beat the other team." This was an obvious one. Let's spin it though in a positive way. Let's take four different groups on ethnicity, put you in this grouping, let you live together, let you figure out how you're going to vote people off. Then let's see if those bonds stick. Or if like in most cases they kind of get erased and replaced with the people who best help you get to the end. The reason you say that happens all the time is because it does but when you talk about racial ethnicity I think it's interesting. Because this is all just something we're all just trying to work through. I like to believe that most of us are in the middle and we want to live in a world in which we can all get along. I don't believe most people are on the extreme edge. To me this is a very worthy idea and the very least will promote discussion. Like what we're doing right now.

Follow Up: How long before the groups are mixed up?

Jeff: I can't tell you that. I can tell you this, the creative line that you're walking in terms of how long to leave a group as a group before you split them up is all along the lines of...you're asking yourself, "how long is enough where they'll make a strong bond but not so long that that bond becomes so strong they'll never break it?" Because for our show to work creatively we need you to really always be considering new options. We want you to consider breaking that alliance. Not because it gives us great arguments but because it keeps the audience guessing, 'are they going to stay with their original alliance or are they going to break rank?' You're building to the climax.

Question: Were there any incidents of bigotry or racial conflict?

Jeff: I can't say, you'll have to wait to find out anything upsetting. I found it exciting. Everyday I had no idea what was going to happen. When the season is over I think it will be considered one of the 5 best seasons we've had. There are heroes and underdogs that we haven't had in a long time. And three love connections. One is the strangest love affair ever in all of reality TV. There was more fish caught, octopus caught. And a record number of blindsides. That's why it's good to have non-gamers cast.

Question: Will the premiere be available for pre-screening?

Colleen Sullivan: No premiere pre-screening will be made available.

Question:

Jeff: The race twist was decided during the casting sessions.

Question: Were the challenges adjusted for the races?

Jeff: There are fun challenges...underwater challenges. One element in every challenge involves thinking. Force them to work together in every capacity...question and answers.

Question: Was there a sensitive phase or caution used in your approach?

Jeff: No, I don't have the best grammatical structure, I'm not an English major. But slang was used.

Question: What about using 20 contestants?

Jeff: It allows for fun things and keeps the Survivors on their toes. We can have a surprise boot maybe...2 boots maybe or the boots not on schedule.

Question: What about the rooting interest?

Jeff: Rooting can be based on ethnicity. At the end of this season if you go back and look over it as closely as people are scrutinizing it now there is something to be learned from this and that is, you root for people you like. If you're a white guy and you got a tribe of white guys who are all buffoons, I don't think people are going to be rooting for them.

Question: You've mentioned several times the sort of pride factor that the different teams had. Can you speak at all to when the teams do merge, whether that continues to keep a hold or whether people really do just start looking out for number one?

Jeff: Well, I think from the get-go there's always a sense of looking out for number one. This is not like any other reality show. Survivor kicks your #####. You never go to a hotel room. You never have a shower unless you win a reward. You never have a fresh meal. It's hard and you're out there because you do want to win the game in most cases. But in answer to the question whether the ethnic pride sticks once they are integrated, I think it's a very good question. It is a...it's...how to answer this one...whether or not people stay together from their original groups once they integrate is a topic that comes up. The question is, why would they stick together? Is it just because we're both African-American? Or because we have an alliance? Or is it because we like each other? Or maybe we're romantically involved? There are a lot of reasons you might stay with somebody. Adding the division of ethnic diversity is just one more reason that you might stick together from your original group. I think you'll have to watch and see and find out if it was anymore of a compelling reason.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7 michel 09-08-06 1
   RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7 Brownroach 09-08-06 2
 RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7 Puffy 09-11-06 3
 RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7 Flowerpower 09-12-06 4
 Probst on "The View" 9/12 michel 09-13-06 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-06, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7"
Thanks for bringing this BR and underlining what could have spoiler value.

My take is that:
-Jonathan could be a pre-merge narrator.
-Yul will be someone to watch.
-Jeff was very protective of Christina as well as the tribal division.

About the strange love affair could it be stranger than the Courtney-Shane interactions last year that led the others to think Courtney had a crush on the madman?!

Right now, I'll be going to the CBS site to see who lists Survivor in their favorites. If many players haven't seen it before, those who know the show will have a big edge.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-06, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7"
I'm a little nervous about this remark:

"That's why it's good to have non-gamers cast."

Yeah, I always love a cast full of people who don't know how to play the game.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

09-11-06, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7"
Thanks for posting the interview. Very interesting with lots of insight and valuable information.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-12-06, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Probst media teleconference 9/7"
Thanks for posting this, BR. Great insight. Jiffy at times seems a bit defensive, can't say as I blame him, he is dealing with the media here. He identified a prime theme of this season, "Ethnic Pride". He also brought up the fact that this may not be a level playing field, imo. He noted that alot of these people were first or second generation Americans, and that they still consider their home land as a real part of them, and visit relatives etc. Well, there could be great diversity of the cast in that some are not so removed timewise from their original countries, while others are greatly removed from their original countries...do they are consider themselves Americans now, first and foremost, or do they identify more with their native lands?

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-06, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Probst on "The View" 9/12"
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-06 AT 01:38 PM (EST)

A bit of Survivor Fever's trancript to add information on the "Headache scene" which shows Anh-Tuan may get early recognition and gratitude from his tribe mates:

JProbst: "I'll tell you what is interesting in a positive sense is, for instance in the first episode there is a guy on the Asian tribe who has a massive headache. There's a Vietnamese guy who comes up and says, 'It's called the wind. You've got a case of the wind. Let me get rid of that.' He starts massaging this guy's temples and his scalp really deeply and as you're watching, this red dot forms on this guy's forehead. And Brad says, 'My headache's gone.' And Cao Boi says, 'And the red dot will be gone - I'd say in about three days. That was a pretty serious headache.' I've never seen anything like that. Eastern medicine being performed right there in front of you."

Also, he aswers a question about tribe shuffling which was expected:

Jeff: "Yeah, we mix them up and we mix them up fairly early because you can't let people stay together too long or their bonds become so strong that they'll never break alliances and your show is boring."

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •