The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Too much spoiling?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-15-06, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Too much spoiling?"
Hi Guys -

I have to say, after a somewhat slow start, i did eventually get hooked into yet another season of Survivor. I think the saving graces this season were Terry, cirie and Shane (although my wife did not like that Cirie made it to the F4...).

Now for the 'but'.

Even though it was a fun season, I for one am longing for a season where the spoilers are questionable at best. This season, barring the first 2-3 boots, was pretty much laid out for us by CO and others.

I agree that to a degree, knowing this is fun, but i kept waiting this season for a kink to show up in the predictions.

Is this what it will be line from now on, or is there a chance that we'll get a season with very little in terms of leaks?

geekboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Too much spoiling? emmasmom2 05-16-06 1
   RE: Too much spoiling? emydi 05-16-06 2
       RE: Too much spoiling? geekboy 05-16-06 4
           RE: Too much spoiling? Rasta 05-16-06 5
           RE: Too much spoiling? volsfan 05-16-06 6
               RE: Too much spoiling? samboohoo 05-17-06 8
                   RE: Too much spoiling? PagongRatEater 07-05-06 18
 RE: Too much spoiling? SherpaDave 05-16-06 3
 That is why... IceCat 05-16-06 7
 RE: Too much spoiling? architecturegirl 05-17-06 9
 RE: Too much spoiling? Outfrontgirl 05-17-06 10
   RE: Too much spoiling? KLicK 05-17-06 11
   RE: Too much spoiling? Flowerpower 05-22-06 14
 RE: Too much spoiling? DRONES 05-17-06 12
   RE: Too much spoiling? frisky 05-21-06 13
       RE: Too much spoiling? KoalaChick 05-23-06 15
           RE: Too much spoiling? Wacko Jacko 05-31-06 16
 RE: Too much spoiling? Scarlett O Hara 07-04-06 17
   RE: Too much spoiling? volsfan 07-05-06 19
       RE: Too much spoiling? PepeLePew13 07-06-06 20
           RE: Too much spoiling? architecturegirl 07-07-06 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

emmasmom2 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-16-06, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emmasmom2 Click to send private message to emmasmom2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
I think the only chance you have at a spoiler free season is if you don't read the spoilers.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-16-06, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
I agree... for as much as we all think EPMB does not want things out there..I don't think he cares all that much...look at the late spoiler from dissimilis at SUCKS..he works for an editing firm in NY and he saw bits of the finale...

And really the spoiling community is very small of the overall Survivor watchers..maybe 500 or so people that really follow them. So EPMB does not have to really worry all that much.

The majority of the "work" we do here at Blows is using the CBSmisdirections, vidcaps, etc. weekly to figure out how things will go...

nice to see you over here geekboy, for a second I thought I was in the AI forum

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-16-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
Hi emydi -

I lurk around here, but contribute MUCH more to the AI forums.

I agree, the misdirection and vidcaps can be fun to slice and dice and deduct from.

What i'm really talking about is the detailed data from the likes of ChillOne and Wixchix which - at least for this season - has given teh spoiling community essentially a bootlist.

I"ve come around here for quite some time to see what people think, and what i'm longing for is a season with 'clues', but also a season with its share of surprises. Perhaps the remoteness of the Cook Islands will provide the necessary secrecy to let this happen next season.

Maybe the answer is to go a season without visiting forums like this, but i don't think that will be the case.

geekboy

Rasta 210 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-16-06, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rasta Click to send private message to Rasta Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
I agree with Geekboy. This season's spoiling was just too accurate, and took something away from my enjoyment of the show.

That said, I love to read VS's editong thread, which has added a whole other level of appreciation for the editors and their storytelling.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
Geekboy, I have said the same thing for 3-4 seasons now.

I was really over Survivor for a while and realized it was because I knew almost everything that was/did happen. The last two seasons, I have been very picky in the thresds that I visit here. I will visit the vid cap thresds and some of the discussion ones but try to stay away from obvious boot lists thresds.

I really enjoyed this past season and would really only read things on a weekly basis (SOTS, the vote thresd and things like that) and it really increased my interests in the show.

I don't know if I can ever really get back into spoiling as much as I did a few seasons ago because it takes alot of fun out of the show.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-06, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
*sits with Doc*

Although I have loved every season. But I do like it better when I don't know.

It's Arkie Love

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

07-05-06, 04:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
Sits with doc and boo. (and really enjoys the company)

Spoiling can be fun, but when it becomes 100% accurate the tension goes right out of the show for me. I much prefer watching the show for what it is rather than knowing what's going to happen. Sort of like the Doug Flutie miracle pass at the end of the Miami/BC game - sure it is super-amazing to watch replays, but to see it happening without knowing that it was going to? Priceless.

But, the four of us had a great time.

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
I agree with you and have for some time, which is why I haven't spent much time in the Spoilers forum since around Survivor 3 or 4. There was one season that was just so boring to me, since I already knew most of what was going to happen before I saw it, that I almost stopped watching completely. Rather than doing that, I just stopped heading over to Spoilers.

See Dave write. See Dave edit. See Dave blog.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-06, 09:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "That is why..."
I don't spoil anymore...

It's no fun when everything is done before the season starts. I used to love grabbing the latest vidcaps and seeing what could be gleaned from them.

It's just a waste of time, now...

So now I don't even read the spoilers. I much prefer watching the show without knowing the outcome in advance.

architecturegirl 227 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-06, 09:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail architecturegirl Click to send private message to architecturegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-17-06 AT 09:07 AM (EST)

I agree with everyone here. I've only really been following the spoilers for the last two seasons, and while I still enjoyed last season, it really took a lot of the fun out of this season. I had already decided that I'll just stick to Veruca Salt's editing thread next season. Most of the fun of Survivor comes from trying to figure out for yourself what's going to happen...

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-06, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
>>Is this what it will be line from now on, or is there a chance that we'll get a season with very little in terms of leaks?

That question isn't possible to answer; it depends on how seriously SEG takes its leaks, and at this point how seriously it enforces its confidentiality agreements. As the production gets larger and in less remote areas, more leaks happen at that end. As more players and employees ignore the secrecy issues, and they don't get slapped down hard for it, more leakage occurs.

During the Outback final editing, there was no chance the show would outsource work on the final TC reveal. But now -- dissimilis actually saw two minutes of the Finale before it aired and he's not even under a confidentiality agreement. Major slop on the part of CBS.

So, no guarantees of any future unspoiled seasons. This isn't a new issue either; it's been huge since S2. Some people aim to spoil the game to thwart CBS/EPM (who hardly seems to care at this point) by any means possible. Others of us want to have fun flexing our brains.

How to arrange it so everyone has fun? Some boards have separate forums for spec and spoiling. Some boards have rules that all sourced spoilers have to stay in threads clearly marked as such within the spoiler forum and can't be referenced in other threads. Spoilers here at Blows is an all purpose spoilers and spec forum; we only have VS's thread where people voluntarily respect her request to leave the sourced spoilers out.

There's also little agreement on what spoiling is "fun" and what is not, also as to what is spoiling. This is how I would break it down (omitting pre-season spoiling of contestants and location):

SOURCED SPOILERS
1) sourced boot information in the form of bootlists and information leaked from those involved with production.
2) sourced info that comes from people who know contestants (may only involve one specific part of the game).
3) members who live near or know contestants and try to glean spoilers (like the Clay F2 spoiler, where he bragged).
4) fans around the world who have seen bootees on tour and reported on the web.
5) sourced information from locals who may not understand the game completely, which could pan out different ways, like a lot of Chill's info this season.
6) betting spoilers
7) player sightings and schedules after they return to the States, including players spotted in NY or en route to New York.
8) gossip about players from former contestants and others, that has to be sifted for veracity.

To counter some or all that, we get disinformation planted by CBS that can pass as reliable sourced spoilage.

PROMO ANALYSIS SPOILING
1) vidcap analysis from promos.
2) teaser and press release analysis
3) interview and press comments (less interesting than of old before everyone got real savvy, but still good).
4) Analysis of Insider clips

Some people enjoy this spoiling the most; others who really want to be surprised don't want to read this kind of "spoiling" either. Some who do vidcaps don't want to read press.

EDITING/STORY ARC SPOILING
CONFESSIONAL & FACETIME ANALYSIS

Few people complain that this type of spoiling ruins the show even though it may be dead on and correct.

As to how to make everyone happy, it's up to the mods here whether they want to implement any stricter segregation of sourced spoilers from vidcap/promo/interview spoiling and pure editing/story arc spoiling. Some boards try, as I said. It can be a big headache to enforce until posters are trained about the rules.

IMO, it's fruitless to complain about information leaks and hardly fair on our part. For years people have been working on beating SEG's security and developing contacts because of the "spoil EPM's day" philosophy. It's not reasonable at this late date to expect people to pull the plug on that. You just have to avoid it if you don't want to hear it.

FWIW there was plenty of uncertainty about this last season. I read all the spoilers and I still sucked at Spoiler Island.

KLicK 316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-17-06, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KLicK Click to send private message to KLicK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
You've made a good list of what are "fun" spoilers and what are not.

At SurvivorAddicts, we have used the term "spiller" for the types of things you listed as "sourced spoilers" and we have a special "scrub font" and "spoiler icons" to help protect people who want to do storyline analysis/vidcap analysis, but don't want to see spillers.

Let me tell you -- keeping everything coded is a huge pain! Things get leaked as "opinions" that are really tied to the sourced spoilers, etc. It's not an easy task to keep everything "safe." The only evidence that we have that all that effort is worth it is that the non-spillers are happy at the end of the season (and say they didn't really know what was going on).

I feel very conflicted. I think it splinters the spoiling effort somewhat -- especially when the sourced spoilers don't match up.

~Gabby

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-06, 02:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
FWIW there was plenty of uncertainty about this last season. I read all the spoilers and I still sucked at Spoiler Island.

LOL, OFG, ditto.....well, at least I was in good company!

DRONES 615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-17-06, 11:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DRONES Click to send private message to DRONES Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
**Using my best hypnotic voice**
Everyone must go to VerucaSalts editing thread...go to the editing thread.

DRONES

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-06, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
*eyes glaze over*

We love the leader.

I couldn't agree more, Drones. I've gotten bored with the whole racing for the vidcap thread. I think it's just something that is exciting when you're new to spoiling, but after awhile you get Sherlock Holmes apaphy.

MB knows it. Why do you think he keeps putting each season closer to home, where spoilers aplenty hang out? He wants us back. Ha!

Rolly made this.
Desperate Housecats

KoalaChick 509 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-23-06, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KoalaChick Click to send private message to KoalaChick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
This was my first year of following the spoilers. And while I admit, it was fun to scoop everyone in my office about the boots and the storylines, it did take away the fun of watching the show.

Every other season, I've raced home on Thursday night and parked in front of the TV screen with some frozen adult beverage in anticipation. This year was very ho-hum.

It was kind of like peeking at your Christmas presents. Takes away the excitement of Christmas Day.

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-31-06, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
I have stayed out of the Spoiler section for a while. I found out some info on Amazon that said never again. Glad I made that decision.

So it sounds like you guys nailed it again. Could someone summarize the spoilers you had this season so I don't have to read all the trends? Thanks.

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

07-04-06, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
Now before you get all huffy, please keep in mind that I am doing this with love and with good intentions, but ...

Do I hear whining going on here? You are all beginning to sound a little like my young children who are already bored with summer and can't find ways to entertain themselves!

If you don't want to know, don't go to the Spoiling threads. Simple as that. Although the rest of us will miss you dearly. Maybe we need a non-spoiler discussion thread over on the "Fanatics," or as Drones mentioned above, just hang out over in Veruca's Editing thread.

Whatever you decide, I have enjoyed your company a lot over here and would miss you if you left!

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

07-05-06, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
If you don't want to know, don't go to the Spoiling threads.

To me? Spoiling is different than having boot list and specific events given to us on a silver platter. I lvoe going to the vid caps and trying to spoil things based on what SeeBS give us but to have someone post exact conversations and boot lists isn't much fun. As I said...this is just my opinion.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

07-06-06, 08:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-06-06 AT 08:44 AM (EST)

I'm with Doc on this one. I don't mind the threads where boot lists or events are given on a silver platter, but maybe more discretion could be given in the lobby to ensure too much info isn't given out in the title and in the first paragraph of the post so people would know whether it's a thread to bypass.

Analyzing the vidcaps and trying to figure out what is going to happen next through deduction is far more challenging and fun than simply being told by so-and-so that it *will* happen in this exact way so people who simply want that kind of spoiling shouldn't be denied or blocked out from entering Spoilers, while still allowing those who love the exact conversations and boot lists to have their fun on here as well.

Old style spoiling with vidcaps/deduction is fast becoming a lost art.

ETA: In regards to the title, "Too much spoiling?" ... well, I don't believe there's such a thing as too much spoiling -- as I was saying earlier, we could do better to be a little more discreet with our subject titles and first paragraphs so we can get the maximum number of people possible enjoying this site. There's room for everyone and there's room for different kinds of spoiling. This isn't a country club where only certain people/spoilers are welcome.

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

architecturegirl 227 desperate attention whore postings

07-07-06, 08:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail architecturegirl Click to send private message to architecturegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Too much spoiling?"
I have to agree here, I guess with both of you. I decided after last season that a lot of the fun of survivor had been lost for me because I knew how absolutely everything was going to play out.
So, I decided to just avoid the spoiling threads, and stick mainly to VS's thread this coming season. Yet, I do enjoy other people's analysis of the video caps - but I'm not sure if I should go there this season because I'll likely read/see something I dont want to. Also, I noticed last season that I think that all the spoiler information greatly affected people's interpretations of the videocaps.
I do agree though - this forum shouldnt exclude any group of people (other than those simply here to bash others). So I guess its just one of those things that comes with the territory.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •