The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Star Dates"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-03, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Star Dates"
I'm guessing this is the correct forum for this, but if it gets moved to Non-Reality I won't have a problem with that.

http://www.eonline.com/On/StarDates/index.html

Star Dates: E.G. Daily
Premieres: Aug. 7, 10 p.m.
Encores: Aug. 8, 1 a.m., 8 p.m.

Did anyone catch it?

Article:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2086513/

Excerpts:

E!'s Star Dates features has-beens and the people who want to date them.
By Virginia Heffernan
Posted Friday, August 1, 2003, at 4:26 PM PT

Blindly choosing a phrase is passing fun, though the lyrical list, it turns out, is a fake-out. The opaque groupings aren't general categories from which a match will be chosen; they're exact pseudonyms. Choose Disco Ducks, and you'll only end up with Deney Terrio, the host of Dance Fever from 1979 to 1985. Last-Minute Cuties will get you Robbie Rist, the floppy man-child who played Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch. Funny Girl turns up Debra Wilson from Mad TV. The Space Cadet is Richard Hatch, who was once an astronaut on Battlestar Galactica. Carrottop is the former pop star Tiffany. Mountain Folk is Mary McDonough from The Waltons. Men in Berets is Fred Berry, or Rerun from What's Happening! Bunker Buddies is Jimmie "J.J. Evans" Walker from Good Times. Dyn-o-mite.

In just a few episodes of Star Dates, what stands out is the congeniality of the pairings. Presided over by a nice chauffeur and chaperone named Reggie Gaskins—a theater actor for whom dating "ain't about all this bling-bling and yo-what's-up how-you-feeling-shorty, it's about being real, being true, but most importantly, being a gentleman"—the dates go smoothly, sweetly, uneventfully. Each star goes on two dates per show, most of which involve L.A. adventures like surfing or target shooting. Gaskins asks the star and the dates for their impressions at regular intervals. In response, they come up with variations on "he's great."

Tiffany gets a little more action. One of the world's purest one-hit wonders, she still keeps herself in So-Cal shape, with high-contrast chunk-streaked hair and wondrously lucid skin. Her dates include an Australian guy who likes, more or less, to party. He seems rich; they go surfing; he gives her a back rub; she likes him. That one looks like the most persuasive match so far this season. Tiffany's next date is a slacker musician who hardly says a word, except that he liked to strip. Reggie doesn't like him; he won't play the gentleman for the camera. Tiffany assures everyone she had a good time.

The Nordic good looks of Leif Garrett—teen pop idol, Tiger Beat favorite—have taken some hits since his heyday in the 1970s, but he's got a hippie-bearish vibe that Reggie calls groovy. Something about Garrett's red eyes and swollen face, however—as well as his genuinely impressive discography (11 albums), which I found on a fan site along with a list of semistar turns in film (33) and on television (65)—reminded me that celebrity is short, but work is long. All of these ministars have been putting in the hours for decades; they're tired. That's another thing they have in common with the love-seeking people who come on the show to date them. Maybe it's this note of resignation that makes Star Dates appealingly winsome, if not very steamy. As Jimmie Walker said at the end of his kissless date with a pretty, middle-aged hippie named Darby, "I appreciate her giving me as much time and thought as she did." This, from J.J.! It kind of breaks your heart.

SMILES ARE FREE

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 I've seen it... cqvenus 08-08-03 1
 RE: Star Dates Steen 08-08-03 2
 Screech from Saved by the Bell sbeck 08-08-03 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-03, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "I've seen it..."

I saw the one with Tootie from the Facts of Life. She was a total hunguponherself beeotch. Granted, the guy was kinda square... but she was RUDE. She was on her cell phone about 75% of the time. She was unappreciative of everything, and she was mean mean mean. She got mad when he didn't know what show she was on. Puh-leaze. Get over yourself. Has-been.

Steen 1544 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

08-08-03, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Steen Click to send private message to Steen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Star Dates"
The only one i saw was the first part of the one with Tiffany, it was alright.

sbeck 418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-08-03, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sbeck Click to send private message to sbeck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Screech from Saved by the Bell"
I saw one where he was on a date with a female bodybuilder - it was hilarious! But they really seemed to like each other. If they want to make a comeback, though, I think they're going about it the wrong way.

I saw the one with Tootie, too, and all I can say is it's no wonder she isn't married. She was one rude woman!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •