The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-03-03, 11:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Choose a word, I've got a few good ones! I can't believe how horrible he was to his serving staff on tonights episode. The head chef of a restaurant swearing about his serving staff to the customers while they are standing there?

And him chatting/feeling up girls at one table while people at another table are complaining about the food, justifiably!

And seriously, the paper beach-side food stand style presentation of the food is freakin ridiculous. I totally agree with the serving staff and the customers.

There is suddenly some very nasty anti-rocco editing on the show. Makes you want the jerk to fail. Sigh.

oooo, raise your hand if you're hoping the broken arm server sues him!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... sbeck 08-03-03 1
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... true 08-03-03 2
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... Bucky Katt 08-04-03 3
   RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... Turkishdelights 08-04-03 4
   RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... AZ_Leo 08-04-03 7
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... Breaux888 08-04-03 5
   RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... sbeck 08-04-03 6
       RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... Kab_Frank 08-04-03 8
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... AZ_Leo 08-06-03 9
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... AZ_Leo 08-06-03 10
 RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a ___... Loree 08-06-03 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sbeck 418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-03-03, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sbeck Click to send private message to sbeck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
I totally agree with you! I just read an article in the NY Post online edition that says that Gideon hasn't gotten any shifts since he broke his arm. I really hope that the show is scripted, because I cannot imagine having the guts to treat people the way Rocco, Laurent, and that blonde manager do. Yes, the waitstaff are the customers's servers, but not servants. You couldn't pay me enough to put up with that.

When I go to NY this fall, I want to go to the restaurant and give them a piece of my mind. And if they send in Mama, I'll tell her, too!

What kills me, though, is that this guy has a camera on him the entire time and still acts like a jerk! Imagine what he's really like. I almost hope that not only does this restaurant fail, but that his others do, too, because he's acting like such a jerk.

And I want that waiter to sue him for all he's worth, and sue his financial backer, and the restaurant itself!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-03-03, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
oooo, raise your hand if you're hoping the broken arm server sues him!

*raises hand*

Looks like he may have to sue. I don't understand why his injuries aren't covered under workmen's compensation. (since it was never mentioned) I have no idea what the law is in New York, but I'd think Rocco would have to cover his employees injuries suffered on the job. *geeze*

I will admit, Rocco was much less attractive when he was being an ass. *sigh*

Bucky Katt 3146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-04-03, 02:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bucky%20Katt Click to send private message to Bucky%20Katt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
I found the editing interesting. For instance, did you notice that when he was "feeling up the girls" there were many empty tables right behind him. But the restaurant sure looked busy with that critic waiting there. I doubt that those two things were happening at the same time (heck - it may not even have been the same night). It appeared to me that the editing was made to make Rocco look like a jerk - which I am sure he isn't too impressed about!

"How fascinating for you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm due to make a deposit at the local savings and litter box."

Turkishdelights 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-04-03, 02:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Turkishdelights Click to send private message to Turkishdelights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Yeah, it really is rather interesting that the editors are chosing to put a Rocco is an ass spin on the show... I think it's great! I bet Rocco was expecting loads of free publicity for himself, as he seems to be a grade A media whore... little did he know that it was gonna be mostly bad publicity!

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-04-03, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
I posted on another thread that I would love to hear any interviews or quotes from Rocco now that the show is airing. It would be interesting to see if his attitude toward doing this has changed.

My guess is that there will be a Rocco gets a clue, pulls himself and the restaurant together, and everyone loves him show sometime in the near future (how long is the run for this?). Redemption and learning from mistakes has always been a favorite story line for Mark Burnett.

Breaux888 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-04-03, 03:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breaux888 Click to send private message to Breaux888 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
I doubt whether agressive editing was necessary to make Rocco appear to be a jerk. That WAS the real Rocco, absent the flashy American Express ads, publicists, and socialites who run the magazines which have made him APPEAR to be sweeter than chocolate flan. Egotistical? Insensitive? Just ask anyone who has worked for him. In my opinion, Rocco is himself a receipe...When you take a self-centered person, and reward that self-centeredness with success, cook that in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, you have a Rocco.
To an extent though, I don't feel bad for those who choose to work for him. Persons who work in that restaurant KNOW that it is a society restaurant, and while food is secondary to the theatrics of going to Roccos; even the 100lb models who dine there have had a decent meal in thier lives, and certainly have the ego to let the "peons" know how bad the food is. You, as waitstaff, know who goes to eat there, you know how you'll be treated by a celebrity chef. Frankly, they could make more money working at Outback Steakhouse on a Friday night, but they cannot impress anyone doing that, so they work at Roccos. The staff is right, no one deserves to be treated the way tonight's episode revealed Rocco and his band of unmerry men treated them--they even blamed them for the restaurant's inadequacies--but at the same time, no one is forcing them to work there either.
The "Socialite" restaurant business if very sleazy. I do know for a fact that hostesses in many retaurants like Roccos are told to "misplace" waitlistings for unattractive patrons. Now you know why the cute chick in Armani who walks up without a reservation gets a seat while you've been waiting for an hour. Even more to the point, now you know why a hostess who outright says she can't be nice to customers, isn't asked to hit the bricks permanently, whereas some nice waiter is treated like a peice of garbage because he slipped and fell.

sbeck 418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-04-03, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sbeck Click to send private message to sbeck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Just curious, have you ever worked for Rocco?

You've certainly opened my eyes about this business. I never thought to examine the "socialite" restaurant business aspect, but this makes sense. I just hope that the someones to impress see this show and decide not to go here. . .

Kab_Frank 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-04-03, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kab_Frank Click to send private message to Kab_Frank Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
I would say Rocco is a SOB but I like his mom.
When I watched last nights episode I was appalled at Rocco's attitiude towards the servers. I kept thinking about that book "fast food nation" and the horrible working conditions that people endure. More to the point the type of A-holes that they have to deal with.
Most importantly I'm happy to see the camera catch "the reality" of Rocco, self serving, heartless and a sleazy individual.
I can't believe he is treating that server the way he is. This kid waited 24 hours to be the first in line and he blows him off like lint on a jacket.
The French manager just needs to be pummelled. It probably wouldn't change his arrogant manner so I wouldn't feel bad if he was decked a second time.
I hope they get sued to the hilt.
This is a great show by the way.

Cheers

08-06-03, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Looks like I was right. MB is going for the redemption thing again. From NBC for next episode:

10pm 2003-08-10 ALL NEW!
EPISODE 104 Up, then down again. At the pre-service staff meeting, Rocco gets his comeuppance. Two of his top servers tell him they are unhappy with his cavalier actions. Then his general manager threatens to quit. To right the wrongs, Rocco calls in Monsignor Marchese to bless the restaurant. Then Rocco goes back the soul of the restaurant, the kitchen. He works hard to make the kitchen better, the change is contagious, and pretty soon the whole restaurant is humming with happiness for the first time ever. Or is it? TV-PG

They were also pushing that hard on last night's previews.

08-06-03, 05:05 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Response from Rocco (sort of) to last weeks show is on Zap2it.com. Since I can never get a working link to their articles I posted it all. If this was incorrect let me know.

Meatballs and Meltdowns at 'The Restaurant'
(Wednesday, August 06 11:15 AM)
By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Chef Rocco DiSpirito had a very bad patch during the filming of the NBC reality series "The Restaurant," which chronicles his efforts to open a New York eatery. Apparently, reliving the experience in the show's third episode last Sunday (Aug. 3) didn't do much for his disposition.

The episode showed unhappy customers, a chaotic atmosphere and a staff nearly at the point of mutiny, while depicting DiSpirito as distant and more interested in schmoozing in the dining room.

Asked about the episode on Tuesday, DiSpirito said, "When you give someone 100 percent access to your life -- as you know, everyone's life is full of blissful moments and troubling moments, so I expected both to be portrayed."

That's all he said, as he then opted out of continuing the conversation by putting this reporter on hold and then never returning to the phone.

Calling in later in the day from the set of "Survivor," executive producer Mark Burnett defends the episode but is sympathetic to his star.

"He comes out smelling like roses," Burnett says. "The Rocco we saw on Sunday was edited fairly. Rocco didn't behave in the kindest, most gentlemanly or businesslike of ways. But, to be fair, because of the TV schedule, this guy opened a restaurant in absolutely record time, dealing with 500 things. He was like a one-armed paperhanger.

"It was just too much for anybody. He had a bit of a meltdown with it. But what we are going to see is that the true character of Rocco will come out, which is good, and a good businessman and a good chef.

"In next week's episode, Rocco gets back in the kitchen, where he really belongs and does best. Future episodes after that, Rocco becomes a good leader, inspires his troops and is a big success. Rocco just took an arc where he had a little dive, which could have happened to anybody, but he had character enough to come back."

While DiSpirito handed the show's producers access to his life, they handed control of the restaurant over to him. This caused some problems in episode two, which showed DiSpirito dismissing some of the newly hired staff.

"He fired some key people we would have liked to keep," says Ben Silverman of production company Reveille LLC, who shares executive producer credit with Burnett and with Robert Riesenberg of Magna Global Entertainment. "I wish he had kept those people. What can you do? Next time maybe we'd want to own the restaurant.

"You're sitting there having a heart attack, because you so are not in control. It's not your game; it's not your cast; it's not your environment; it's not your set. It's this guy's restaurant, his livelihood and his business, and he's not going to let us dictate what we want."

At the other end of the spectrum is waiter Topher Goodman, whose efficiency and sunny nature endeared him to DiSpirito (and to the viewing audience) -- until DiSpirito berated him in front of diners in episode three. Goodman then led an employee gripe session in the wee hours of the morning.

Asked if he's still working at Rocco's, Goodman says, "There's a question that will be answered in this week's episode, so I'm not allowed to say.

"People are certainly expecting some sort of turnaround from me. Either I punch Rocco in the mouth, or there's a major change that happens or I make a change for myself."

An experienced waiter who also has an extensive theater background, Goodman tried to always remember he was on camera. "They can do a lot with editing," he says, "and represent you in different ways, but you know what, if you didn't give them bad things, they wouldn't have bad things to represent you with.

"All human beings need to hold themselves responsible for their actions in life, and we all should have gone into this with the same mindset, thinking, 'This is reality television. This is our lives, and all of it is going to be able to be displayed and modeled in the way that producers see fit. They're making television.'

"I was flabbergasted by Sunday night's episode, to see how much they used my story, how much airtime given to me. It was very overwhelming in an exciting way."

As to whether he'd like to parlay this newfound fame into further showbiz work, Goodman says. "I would love the opportunity to be on television more. Anybody who works at that restaurant doing the show would be lying if they said differently."

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-06-03, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Restaurant's Rocco is a _____!"
Rocco is certainly not looking good. So unless he has the big turnaround he won't have a popular business. What is with the paper baskets? And why the chains around his neck?

I was actually suspicious of Gideon's accident and how badly he was really hurt. I wondered if Rocco wasn't just calling his bluff. It seemed convenient that he didn't want to be a runner and then he gets hurt but no cast and he was flopping down on the couch and moving his hand. So how bad was it? Gideon wanted to be a host or answer phones. He didn't want to clean toilets. Maybe I am just a suspicious person.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •