The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-15-05, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
Another article from Fever. See bolded section.

Columbia Grad to Compete On CBS’ Survivor: Guatamala
Brian Corridan Hopes to Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast His Competitors on This Season’s Installment of the Popular Show, Fulfilling His Dream
By John Davisson
Spectator Staff Writer

September 15, 2005

Mild-mannered Brian Corridan, CC ’05, has an alter ego—one that’s not afraid to lie, cheat, steal, or worse, break alliances. Much like Clark Kent darts into a telephone booth and emerges in yellow undies, Corridan rushed to Guatemala on a pretense last summer, donned his tribe’s colors, and pledged to use his Ivy League psychology degree to manipulate 15 other contestants in Survivor 11: Guatemala, The Maya Empire, which premiers tonight at 8 p.m. on CBS.
CBS insists that contestants on the reality-TV kingpin not speak to the press about their experiences until they are voted off or ultimately win the game in broadcast time.

But if a person’s sheer devotion to Survivor can win the game for him, there will plenty of time for questions after Corridan collects a $1 million grand prize during the show’s live finale.

“(Being on Survivor) was a goal that he wasn’t going to let go of until the show stopped airing or he died,” described Corridan’s longtime friend and current roommate Greg O’Keeffe, SEAS ’05, now a graduate student in the Environmental Engineering Department. O’Keeffe likened Corridan’s appearance on Survivor to a little boy who grows up worshipping the Yankees and one day dons the famous pinstripes. “You can exaggerate that as much as you want to,” he said. “And you won’t be going overboard.”

As a Carman RA his junior and senior years, Corridan was known to commandeer the TV lounge on Thursday nights. “I remember Brian always talking about how he wanted to be on Survivor,” said Makini Byron, CC ’07, one of Corridan’s former Carman 7 residents. According to Byron, Corridan often told stories about his several audition tapes and an inspiring, but ultimately unsuccessful, call-back from the show’s executives.

“I don’t think there’s a bigger fan anywhere,” said Brian’s father, Kevin Corridan, the departmental administrator of the Electrical Engineering Department. The “obsessed” Brian had been telling his parents since the age of 17 that he would someday appear on the show. Kevin Corridan said that the family has been teasing Brian, now that his dream has come true at age 22. “Where do you go from there?” he asked. Brian actually hopes to get his doctorate and become a child psychologist—but a million dollars has a funny way of changing people’s plans.

On Corridan’s facebook profile, which hasn’t been updated since he traveled to Guatemala, his sole interest is: “Survivor, which I will one day win.”

A prerequisite for that win, a call to notify him that he had been selected as a contestant, came as Corridan was eating lunch with his family on Commencement Day. Since he could not reveal his selection, he told family members that he was going to South America with a friend and told friends that an uncle was financing a trip abroad. Corridan then put his job as a site director for TestTakers on hold and headed to Guatemala for more than a month to outwit, outplay, and outlast the other castaways.

But can a chronic overachiever—New Milford, Conn. high school valedictorian, Columbia Phi Beta Kappa—navigate the Guatemalan jungle as well as he did the New York concrete? The old saying, “If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere,” perhaps has never been so literally tested. Contestants in past Survivor tribes have killed wild boars, dropped dozens of pounds, and been “medevacced” to safety.

Byron predicts that Corridan, “a people person,” will be successful in Guatemala. “He can ease into any situation; he can be whatever he needs to be .”

And being this season’s social chameleon seems to be Corridan’s best bet. “My background in psychology will allow me to pinpoint people’s insecurities and weaknesses and to manipulate them to my advantage,” Corridan says in his official biography on cbs.com. A true student of the game, Corridan also says that he’s written school papers on game strategies.

Kevin Corridan said that Brian wanted to keep his affiliation with Columbia a secret, to avoid becoming a target. A message board for fellow die-hard fans is already abuzz with accusations of snobbery.

“(Corridan’s) convinced they’re going to portray him as the Ivy League villain,” O’Keeffe said, adding that CBS has so much footage of each person that the editors can make anyone appear any way they want.

Susan Sacks, who taught Corridan when he was the only male in a 19-person adolescent psychology senior seminar, said, “ would have to be really manipulative to make him mean or elitist.”

But Corridan’s not the only Ivy Leaguer on the show; 22-year-old Rafe, who plays the piano with his toes, attended Brown.

Sacks doesn’t think she’s ever seen Survivor; she wasn’t entirely sure which program it is. But she took up a pencil and scribbled down in her appointment book that this Thursday night she has a date with the television, a favorite former student, and his quest for his destiny. “He’s a survivor. I’m positive he’s a survivor,” she said.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... FesterFan1 09-15-05 1
   RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Brownroach 09-15-05 2
 RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Flowerpower 09-15-05 3
   RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Thaibeach 09-16-05 4
       RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Flowerpower 09-16-05 5
 RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Corvis 09-21-05 6
 Brian is not the "colorful" exit re... coachocd 10-08-05 7
   RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exi... emydi 10-08-05 8
       RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exi... Quiddity99 10-08-05 9
           RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exi... Outfrontgirl 10-08-05 10
           RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exi... Outfrontgirl 10-08-05 11
 RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Outfrontgirl 10-21-05 12
   RE: Brian = villain = not an extrem... Loquatrix 10-21-05 13
   The point of the thread Brownroach 10-21-05 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-05, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
I don't know what it means in terms of length of stay, but it sure points to him being the "colorful" exit that Probst promised. I know we were leaning that way, anyway, but this all but seals it for me.

Jeff also said that he pissed some contestants off this season with his TC Q&A, and that he wouldn't be invited to dinner anytime soon by them. I'm guessing Brian is one of them.

Fester

09-15-05, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
Jeff also said that he pissed some contestants off this season with his TC Q&A, and that he wouldn't be invited to dinner anytime soon by them. I'm guessing Brian is one of them.

Me too. (I doubt that Probst enjoyed Brian correcting his grammar at the auditions.)

As for Brian's longevity, I'd guess he must make it to at least around Ep 5 if he's anticipating a significant villain edit. A departure any earlier would make him a pretty negligible character (although he does seem to be a legend in his own mind, so who knows).

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-05, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
Talk about obsessed! I can't WAIT to see his boot! Ha! This is really going to be something to look forward to!

Thaibeach 872 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-16-05, 07:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Thaibeach Click to send private message to Thaibeach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
Add me to the list of those who can't WAIT to see his boot. What an officious Ivy League *ss.

My gaydar was ping-ping-pinging whenever he was on screen. I sense a closet case.

Sorry, make that an Ivy League closet case.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-16-05, 08:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
....wonder if Rafe will help ease him out of the closet???...

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-21-05, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
I don't know how I missed this thread! Thanks to KObrien_fan for pointing me here. And I agree - Brian has to survive at least a few episodes to get a villain edit.

coachocd 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-08-05, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail coachocd Click to send private message to coachocd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Brian is not the "colorful" exit referred to by JP"
LAST EDITED ON 10-08-05 AT 10:20 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-08-05 AT 10:19 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-08-05 AT 10:18 AM (EST)

There have been some assumptions that the most "colorful" exit from TC ever referred to Probst in his pre-show, post-game media teleconference would be Brian, perhaps because of his "villanous" edit or desire to see Brian taken down a peg or just the "telephone game" or whatever.

However, I want to nip this in the bud. Brian may leave TC colofully in a different sense of the word than Probst was using it,, like Greg Buis did in S1-TC8, or he may simply leave politiely like Sue Hawk did in S1-TC13 (before coming back for her "snake and rat" speech) or as Jerri did when she simply said "checkmate... good game" in S2-TC9, if he any interesting reaction at all. Most bootees leave somewhat quietly, even the blindsided ones..

The "coloful" exit needs to be put in context to analyze Probst's exact words. From his teleconference:

Question: Has someone ever, when voted out, gone totally ballistic and threatened violence?

JP: Nobody's threatened violence. We had a couple this season of Guatemala, where people were so blindsided and it was so personal and there's one in particular that is probably the most colorful exit that we've ever had. I say colorful in quotes because it's funny looking back on it but it wasn't funny to the person at the time. People are generally respectful at Tribal Council. I try to remind myself when I go get the votes that for somebody it's their last Tribal Council and the end of something they've worked hard for and they may not even know it's coming. I try to be respectful of that and most Survivors are also.

The colorful exit comes out of being blindsided and taking the boot very personally. JP's answer comes out of a question asked to Probst about being ballistic and threatening violence. Also, the "colorful" exiter wasn't trying to be funny. It is only funny in retrospect.

Think more along the lines of Big Tom's exit from All Stars, when he doubled-back in a threatening maneuver against Robfather for betraying him.

Brian has already stated he could be picked-off one by one, so his boot would hardly be a blindside. All bootees are at some level disappointed and angry, and conceivably Brian may say something snarky or not, or say "good game" or not, when he leaves TC and then be catty in his post show interviews. However, iIt just isn't in his temperment to go on an embarassing, ballistic, funny-only-in-retrospect tirade to be the most "colorful" exit ever.

The person making a fool of himself or herself is someone prone to emotional reacations.

So who fitts this description?

Here's JP's description of Judd during that same teleconference:

Judd Sergeant is 34 from New Jersey, a hotel doorman. He's everything you want in a Jersey hotel doorman. Everything ends in "man". "Let me tell you, man". He's colorful. He's hot headed, he's strong. He's a pretty good player of Survivor. You get to talking to these guys in casting and you figure out who gets the game and who doesn't. I think Judd gets the game. He knows he's got to build alliances with people. He knows he's got to be trustworthy to a certain point and he knows he's got to pull his weight.

JP associates the word "colorful" with Judd and even describes him as "hot headed".

While there is no certainly Judd makes the most "coloful" serious exit ever, but I would bet large amounts of money, the embarassing, funny-in-retrospect tirading after a blindsiding that JP is referring to won't be coming from Brian.

While this isn't a source spoiler, I take this as a "clue" that Judd doesn't make the final 2.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-05, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exit referred to by JP"
coach I agree it's Judd

and imho its very soon

Jamie and Steph boot him the next time (or maybe after Marg goes) NuNakum goes to TC

Quiddity99 244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-08-05, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Quiddity99 Click to send private message to Quiddity99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exit referred to by JP"
>coach I agree it's Judd
>
>and imho its very soon
>
>Jamie and Steph boot him the
>next time (or maybe after
>Marg goes) NuNakum goes to
>TC

I agree. I think he's going next, and its largely because of his own dumb decision last week. He's talking like he's a big dominant player whose going to last long when in actuality he's gonna get booted next time and he'll go nutz because of it.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-05, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exit referred to by JP"
I also agree with coachocd.

I think Brian is obsessed the way RobC was obsessed. If Brian doesn't make the jury he's going to be seriously bummed at not succeeding in a game he studied so hard. Bummed does not equal making a scene.

The fact that a guy with Brian's IQ and background in psychology has studied the game to an obsessive degree also means he is aware of all the strategy scenarios. I would be extremely surprised if he is booted without him seeing that there's a good chance that his strategy of the moment may bite him in the ass.

Right now it looks to me like the mechanics of the swap may have put Brian in a position where he is essentially screwed if his tribe goes on a losing streak or throws IC's. The 3 B-boys aren't exactly master strategists and I see them sticking to the simple plan of maintaining numbers until the merge. There is really nothing Brian can do to control his own destiny without some help from these guys and/or Danni OR being saved because his tribe doesn't go to TC. Danni = best bet, I think.

As for "villain" editing, my take on that is:
Brian knows that players are edited as TYPES. He knows the types that recur in Survivor and that "villain" is one of them, and he apparently sees himself as the best candidate for the role in his tribe, given the way he played.

That does not mean he did something truly villainous, IMHO. He isn't playing the true blue alliance-following loyal integrity strategy but rather the do whatever I have to do to get farther in the game strategy.

He probably feels rather alone as the only intellectual on his new tribe. He's surrounded by good ol boys and tomboy women. He's the Ivy Leaguer. He probably sees the dynamic in those terms and expects that to translate into his portrayal -- because he knows he will be TYPED and that everyone gets stereotyped.

Is he all that worried about it? Possibly, but I doubt it. He probably just hopes to be memorable in the history of Survivor--particularly if he goes pre-merge. I'm sure he started the game assuming he would make jury at minimum. If he doesn't, all he has for posterity is the hope that he seemed villainous enough to get some good face time and some post-show attention.

That's my take on it now, from what I've seen. Who knows where he will go? The dust from the swap has still to settle and it's hard to make any predictions right now. My point is he doesn't need to do something BIG or BAD in order to account for this press buzz that we're reading.

btw, I like Brian! Of all the players currently on Yaxha I would rather see Brian make the merge than any of the others.

10-08-05, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Brian is not the "colorful" exit referred to by JP"
I think Judd would be in big trouble on some other tribe in some other locale. This early pre-merge, as the only big guy on a tribe that has so many women plus Rafe--he has a free ticket until just prior to the merge.

My feeling is that all the old Nakum are vulnerable but that Nakum is going to start winning somehow and they'll get a reprieve. Unless the weight loss spoiler that fits Judd was a CBS plant. (Which is possible of course, and we'll see.) I don't see Judd as a guy who wouldn't gain his weight back after being booted and he hasn't lost a lot of weight yet.

10-21-05, 03:21 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
LOL, I have to bump this thread because Brian's exit was so classy and OMG he pretty much hugged everyone before he left.

Villain? Wishful thinking. How about a "cheerleader" edit?
Not at all putting down the theme of this thread, because Brian's people were quite misleading (on purpose or not).

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-21-05, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Brian = villain = not an extremely early boot?"
Totally classy, OFG. In a situation where idiotic bully Judd had just blustered about how "I'm a good sportsmanship," whatever the eff that means... Brian comprehensively showed them all what true sportsmanship is.

He came, he played hard, and he was beaten. And he was fine with it, because his attitude is "I'm good, so anyone who beats me must be really good."

His personality has grated on me all season, but he gets plenty of respect from me for his gracious and classy exit.

10-21-05, 11:03 AM (EST)
14. "The point of the thread"
LAST EDITED ON 10-21-05 AT 05:51 PM (EST)

He had a very classy departure, and he was even better on TES this morning.

But the spoiler in the article, and the point of the thread, was that Brian had to last past the first few boots. That was all. He didn't have to get the villain edit, he just had to be around for a bit if he thought they could edit him that way.

This thread really could have stayed back on page 4, since its usefulness ended a month ago.

ETA: Just to clarify -- OFG, I know it was already back on page 1 when you bumped it today; I was just mystified that it had gotten bumped earlier.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •