The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Mosques R Starbucks"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

divawife 43 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-01-04, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail divawife Click to send private message to divawife Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Mosques R Starbucks"
Did the commited good Christian Nicole actually say that in Dubai "those things, those Mosques are everywhere here, they are like their Starbucks".
Apparently in her hometown the churches must serve lattes and frappucinos and good Christians mock other religions.
She is so clueless about the fact she is in a different country then the U.S.!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Pot. Kettle. Black. shakes the clown 09-01-04 1
   She's right... dabo 09-01-04 3
       no, she's wrong and so are you shakes the clown 09-01-04 8
           Oh spinning clown of fury... TeamJoisey 09-01-04 9
           I gotta call you on this one... emydi 09-01-04 11
               RE: I gotta call you on this one... TeamJoisey 09-01-04 13
                   Good stuff! realitybites 09-01-04 23
               RE: I gotta call you on this one... ElroyJetson 09-01-04 14
                   finally.... shakes the clown 09-01-04 16
                   RE: I gotta call you on this one... HistoryDetective 09-01-04 17
                       RE: I gotta call you on this one... ElroyJetson 09-01-04 18
                           RE: I gotta call you on this one... ginger 09-01-04 21
                           RE: I gotta call you on this one... dabo 09-04-04 74
           RE: no, she's wrong and so are you dabo 09-01-04 34
           The Onion & Starbucks weltek 09-03-04 71
   RE: Pot. Kettle. Black. HistoryDetective 09-01-04 6
       RE: Pot. Kettle. Black. EnglProf 09-01-04 12
           RE: Pot. Kettle. Black. vixie 09-02-04 59
       RE: Pot. Kettle. Black. ElroyJetson 09-01-04 15
           RE: Pot. Kettle. Black. nailbone 09-01-04 20
   Oh good grief!!! nailbone 09-01-04 19
   Baptism by Shakes divawife 09-01-04 26
       RE: Baptism by Shakes TeamJoisey 09-01-04 31
 RE: Mosques R Starbucks Puffy 09-01-04 2
 RE: Mosques R Starbucks filipino_fan 09-01-04 4
 RE: Mosques R Starbucks aquariaqueen 09-01-04 5
   RE: Mosques R Starbucks missygirl3 09-01-04 7
   RE: Mosques R Starbucks Ontario TAR Fan 09-01-04 10
       Keep em coming Canada Girl 09-02-04 47
           RE: Keep em coming emydi 09-02-04 53
               RE: Keep em coming greenmonstah 09-02-04 54
                   RE: Keep em coming PepeLePew13 09-04-04 72
 RE: Mosques R Starbucks bondt007 09-01-04 22
           RE: Mosques R Starbucks divawife 09-01-04 28
       RE: Mosques R Starbucks mrc 09-02-04 35
   RE: Mosques R Starbucks greenmonstah 09-01-04 29
       RE: Mosques R Starbucks teesosh 09-01-04 32
       RE: Mosques R Starbucks bondt007 09-01-04 33
           RE: Mosques R Starbucks toddE 09-02-04 55
 RE: Mosques R Starbucks Molaholic 09-01-04 27
   RE: Mosques R Starbucks divawife 09-01-04 30
       RE: Mosques R Starbucks aquariaqueen 09-02-04 40
 After rewatching Breezy 09-02-04 36
   RE: After rewatching greenmonstah 09-02-04 37
       RE: After rewatching HistoryDetective 09-02-04 38
           RE: After rewatching greenmonstah 09-02-04 39
               RE: After rewatching HistoryDetective 09-02-04 41
                   RE: After rewatching greenmonstah 09-02-04 42
                       She said church people! Breezy 09-02-04 44
                           RE: She said church people! greenmonstah 09-02-04 45
           She did call them churches Breezy 09-02-04 43
               RE: She did call them churches greenmonstah 09-02-04 46
                   Well yeesh! Breezy 09-02-04 48
               RE: She did call them churches HistoryDetective 09-02-04 49
                   RE: She did call them churches greenmonstah 09-02-04 50
                   Huh? Breezy 09-02-04 51
                       RE: Huh? HistoryDetective 09-02-04 52
                           LOL Breezy 09-02-04 56
                               RE: LOL HistoryDetective 09-02-04 57
                                   RE: LOL Breezy 09-02-04 60
                               RE: LOL greenmonstah 09-02-04 58
 Oh, for cryin' out loud!! nailbone 09-02-04 63
   RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!! emydi 09-02-04 65
       RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!! nailbone 09-02-04 66
           RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!! emydi 09-02-04 67
               RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!! bondt007 09-02-04 68
                   RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!! sisterwoman 09-04-04 73
 Swoop rasslinmomma 09-02-04 69
   RE: Swoop nailbone 09-03-04 70

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-01-04, 01:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Pot. Kettle. Black."
>Did the commited good Christian Nicole
>actually say that in Dubai
>"those things, those Mosques are
>everywhere here, they are like
>their Starbucks".
>Apparently in her hometown the churches
>must serve lattes and frappucinos
>and good Christians mock other
>religions.
>She is so clueless about the
>fact she is in a
>different country then the U.S.!

...just like you're obviously clueless about what qualified as a pretty accurate and humorous analogy.

ya know, I don't like em either but you have to be pretty thick headed to think she was "mocking other religions" with her comments.

Obvioulsy, the point was that there are a lot of mosques in Dubai, just like there are a lot of Starbucks in the US.

Did you really miss that???

And who is the clueless one?
>

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-01-04, 02:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "She's right..."
At least in part. Nicole is naive and doesn't realize a lot of things. She doesn't realize that there have to be a lot of mosques in Muslim countries, there's lots of Muslims there. Nor does she realize that most of America doesn't give a spit for Starbucks, there really aren't many of them in most of America. She should have said McDonalds.

SMILES ARE FREE

09-01-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "no, she's wrong and so are you"
>that most of America doesn't
>give a spit for Starbucks,
>there really aren't many of
>them in most of America.
> She should have said
>McDonalds.

....first of all, Starbucks outnumber McDonald's about 10 to 1 where I'm from.

And second of all, its common knowledge that there is a running joke in this country about Starbucks being EVERYWHERE and popping up everywhere, not McDonalds. If you don't believe me, go watch Shrek 2 or the Simpsons.

Her comments were not at all insensitive, nor were they naive. She was merely pointing out that there are a lot of mosques in Dubai.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-01-04, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Oh spinning clown of fury..."

Starbucks has 8,000 retail stores.
McDonalds has 30,000.

Within a 25 mile radius of my home: 36 Starbucks, 79 McDonalds. And more than a few mosques.

Maybe Nicole doesn't see all the McDonalds because she's a caffeine-addicted model with an aversion to the Big Mac.

hmmm... caffeine... "Shakes"... maybe you're a caffeine-addicted fashion model with an aversion to Big Macs?

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "I gotta call you on this one..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-01-04 AT 01:20 PM (EST)

Her comments were not at all insensitive, nor were they naive. She was merely pointing out that there are a
lot of mosques in Dubai.

Shakes, come on, she didn't even know what Mosques were called...

To compare a religious building to an overpriced coffee hut is just plain wrong--esp. if she espouses to be so in touch with God (but then she probably thinks Allah is a boxer )

The idea that this "Christian" little teen queen wanna be model has the audacity to say it in a Moslem country was just pathetic, condescending and insensitive. When she gets home, she should look down the street and count all the Protestant Churches there are there. I'm sure she wouldn't compare those to Wal-Marts or Burger Kings....

Courtesy of the Amazing Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Your're wrong on this one, but i still *heart* you

et correct spelling

09-01-04, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: I gotta call you on this one..."

Muhammad Allah, the boxer?? He's not one of those mosque people, is he? Then how did he learn to grill so well?

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-01-04, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Good stuff!"

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-01-04, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: I gotta call you on this one..."
Shakes, come on, she didn't even know what Mosques were called...

The majority of Americans would fall into that category. Probably about the same number that don't know the UAE is a country. Let alone its location.

Nicole was definitely commenting on the quantity of Mosques in the country and was not impugning their religion.

09-01-04, 02:47 PM (EST)
16. "finally...."
...sonmeone with a brain who actually gets it.

That's why you were always my favorite Jetson.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: I gotta call you on this one..."
The majority of Americans do not know what a mosque is...?! Please! All you have to do is read the newspaper or (if that is too much effort) listen to the news on the radio or watch it on television. I'm sure that even Fox News Channel uses the word. Considering world events of the last few years, the word "mosque" comes up in the media often enough that people should know what it means.
You're probably right that most Americans are not familiar with the UAE, but poor geography skills are not the same as basic vocabulary picked up from watching the news.

09-01-04, 03:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: I gotta call you on this one..."
The majority of Americans do not know what a mosque is...?!

I would so totally wager you on this. Your talking about people who can't name the Vice President or would get the date of 9/11 wrong!

Unfortunately, how do we prove it? I say, if you give this quiz to the average American, they'd get the wrong answer:

Circle the correct answer to the question:

Q: Mosque is...:

a) Iraqi headwear
b) a Muslim Holy Place
c) the capital of the United Arab Emirates
d) the longest river in Qatar
e) None of the above

A HARDER quiz would be to ask the subject to simply define Mosque. You'd get some good answers.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: I gotta call you on this one..."
Not to mention "scarab."

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs.

09-04-04, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
74. "RE: I gotta call you on this one..."
Define a mosque? It's those buildings like church-thingies, of course. Sort of like hot dog stands but all kosher.

09-01-04, 11:56 PM (EST)
34. "RE: no, she's wrong and so are you"
>....first of all, Starbucks outnumber McDonald's
>about 10 to 1 where
>I'm from.

That's coz you live in a city that's bigger than its own county, that's just not so for most of America.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-04, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
71. "The Onion & Starbucks"
One of my favorite Onion articles from the 90's was "Starbucks opens in Starbuck's bathroom"

Handcrafted by RollDdice

09-01-04, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Pot. Kettle. Black."
LAST EDITED ON 09-01-04 AT 09:40 AM (EST)

I agree with divawife. I thought that Nichole's comment was insensitive and uniformed. I watch TAR5 with a group of friends every week and one of them actually said "No, the mosques are everywhere in Dubai like CHURCHES are everywhere in the U.S." The insight into Nichole's personality here is that she did not seem to understand that Islam was as important to the local population as her own Christianity is to her. I don't want to put words into her mouth, but some Christians see their religion as more legitimate and superior to other religions. That may or may not be her point of view, but her comment was suggestive. Mosques are an important part of the local culture. Those mosques aren't there just for pretty scenery for Western tourists...

It was also interesting that Brandon and Nichole observed that "God really wants us to stay in this race" since the most recent leg was non-elimination. I don't seem to remember clips of them from earlier episodes saying "God really wants the twins to stay in the race with us" or "God really wants the bowling moms to stay in the race with us."

(For the record, in case this is an issue, I am a non-evangelical Protestant. My faith is important to me, but I understand that others come from faith traditions that are just as meaningful to them.)

-edited for spelling

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-01-04, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Pot. Kettle. Black."
Ha! Yes, I said this exact same thing to my husband last night: Mosques are on every corner in Dubai like CHURCHES are on every corner here in the States. Of course that's not literally true, but I completely agree with your assessment of Nikki not comprehending how the two are equivalent. She did seem to trivialize it, and I had the same thought last night.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

vixie 727 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-04, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vixie Click to send private message to vixie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Pot. Kettle. Black."
Me, too Prof!

09-01-04, 02:24 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Pot. Kettle. Black."
I agree with divawife. I thought that Nichole's comment was insensitive and uniformed.

Uninformed, yes. Insensitive, no. You can only be insensitive if you are informed. Its a premeditated act.

I don't want to put words into her mouth, but some Christians see their religion as more legitimate and superior to other religions.

By definition, it's pretty much inherent in ALL religions to think this way.

"God really wants us to stay in this race"

Yeah, this thought process bugs me too. It basically absolves them of responsibility. It's God's will, etc. It's kind of a cop out in my opinion. I can see God glued to his wide screen TV with a big sloppy chili dog cheering on Brandon and Nicole. Geesh...

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Pot. Kettle. Black."
"God really wants us to stay in this race"

I commented to DW that actually God was too busy helping the Indians pound the Yankees to worry about Brandon and Nicole being in this race.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

And yes, I know TAR actually happened weeks ago. It was a joke.

09-01-04, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Oh good grief!!!"

Shakes is exactly right on this one. She was making a comment about how many mosques there are..."one on every corner, like Starbucks". It wasn't a slam at mosques or Muslims or anything like that.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

09-01-04, 08:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail divawife Click to send private message to divawife Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Baptism by Shakes"
>
>...just like you're obviously clueless about
>what qualified as a pretty
>accurate and humorous analogy.
>
>ya know, I don't like em
>either but you have to
>be pretty thick headed to
>think she was "mocking other
>religions" with her comments.
>
>Obvioulsy, the point was that there
>are a lot of mosques
>in Dubai, just like there
>are a lot of Starbucks
>in the US.
>
>Did you really miss that???
>
>And who is the clueless one?

LOLOLOL!!!! Whooo Hoooo! I have been officially welcomed to your little dysfunctional family by the Great Shakes! I am IN!

Besides God wanted me to write about Nicole, I was just a vessel.

Thank you Shakes, I love ya baby.

09-01-04, 10:13 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Baptism by Shakes"
congratulations... not many folks manage to awaken the clown before their 10th post.

Puffy 6702 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 02:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
I thought it was tactless of her, too. But at least she didn't say it to any locals, just to the millions of us watching on TV.

Handcrafted at midnight by RollDDice

filipino_fan 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-01-04, 02:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail filipino_fan Click to send private message to filipino_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
How about the Midget saying "Everything is delayed in this country!", if i were from that place, i would go to the airport and kick that girl out of my country..

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-01-04, 08:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
In all the towns and cities here in Missouri, there are many many more churches than Starbucks.

Our churches outnumber McDonalds too.

missygirl3 541 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail missygirl3 Click to send private message to missygirl3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
Here in Oklahoma too. Not too many Starbucks, but in every town and city, there is a church. Lots of Mcdonalds too!

Ontario TAR Fan 133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-01-04, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ontario%20TAR%20Fan Click to send private message to Ontario%20TAR%20Fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
The analogy up here in Canada would be Tim Hortons! They are everywhere!

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-04, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "Keep em coming"
Never too many Tims!

09-02-04, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Keep em coming"
Always Fresh!!!

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-04, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Keep em coming"
Will you get me an iced tall skim Tim-a-chino?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Please.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

09-04-04, 08:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
72. "RE: Keep em coming"
The appeal of a Tim Horton's is that they keep it simple, none of that 'double tall vente latteachino with a blueberry twist' crap. Small, medium, large and extra large, black or double-double is about all Tim Horton's has to worry about with their customers.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Scratch and sniff

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 07:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
...I knew I could open up TAR Bashers and get my fill of Christian bashing.

I thought her comment was funny and stupid, but as usual, she's bashed because she is a Christian...

*whatever*

posting forever despite my DAWness

09-01-04, 08:55 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
For a first time post-er. I am quite proud of myself. Shakes flamed me and... the thread got replies!!!
I R a real member now!

Anyway, seriously folks.
-Point about most Americans not knowing what a Mosque is
Sad but true. However most Americans are not picked from thousands to be in TAR (you know the reality show where the players travel around the world and the players might have done some research about, I don't know, say THE WORLD?)

For the record I don't think Nicole was stupid nor mean spirited, just clueless. Which means "without a clue".
No awareness of the completely different culture which includes religion as a very large part of that culture.

Love,
Diva

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-04, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
I can't imagine that a poster without a good reputation for comedic wit and snarkiness could get away with saying this about Jews or Muslims. Not a good introduction for me.

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

09-01-04, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
Bondt007: do you think Nicole is getting slammed because she is Christian or do you think she is getting slammed because she seems to think God is a TAR fan?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The Lord really wanted me to ask that question.

teesosh 26 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 10:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail teesosh Click to send private message to teesosh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
Bondt007: do you think Nicole is getting slammed because she is Christian....?"

Well, let's see... the original question started off thusly:

"Did the commited good Christian Nicole"....

does that sound just a TAD sneering to you, as it does to me?

09-01-04, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
THAT? Is pretty funny... she just might think that.

But, no... I'm pretty sure she's slammed not for cluelessness but because it's vogue to slam Christians, or at least dig into them a bit.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-02-04, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
Nicole just made an innocent, but totally clueless comment. Since it related to religion, and they are so outspoken about their religiousness, people picked up on the irony.

I think she and Brandon provoke criticism because they think "God wants us(BN) to win." That is really the type of comment, and thinking, that provokes "slamming" Christians.

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-04, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
The Clown is hrtiw
The Blsoei is right
dang
uh ... somehow, my screen won't let me type the word "right" on the same line as "the Clown is"

But seriously folks, Nicole did know what a mosque is (in her own fashion), and I really believe that her comment was just as Shakes said, simply an observation on the number of Mosques along their route.

I also concur with the observation that the Big Nic is caffine-adicted and Mac repelled. In her eyes, the Golden Arches don't exist.

The
Clown
Is
Tpwum

(double dang!)

A.S.S. PTB Red Points CONSOLATION winner
sigpic a GeorgiaBelle creation MMIV

09-01-04, 10:01 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"
Just for fun-
Here is a little article from a Texas paper:

" Posted on Wed, Sep. 01, 2004

COLIN WATCH!

Bricked off

By Todd Camp

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

He's mad as hell, and he wants everyone to know it.

Colin Guinn, our favorite reality-show sociopath, may not have melted down last night as much as he did on last week's The Amazing Race, but he, like some of the show's other Texans, had his moments.

We had to pick our jaws up off the floor when former Miss Texas (and self-described "Christian model") Nicole O'Brian commented on the many mosques in United Arab Emirates by saying, "They have those church things everywhere, don't they? What is it called, a mosque or something? They're on every corner. It's like Starbucks here."

Yep, way to respect another culture's religion, Nic.

Meanwhile, the Colinator actually seemed pretty laid-back for most of the episode -- that is, until a "Detour challenge" to build clay bricks from scratch sent his temper meter right into the red.

As limitlessly patient girlfriend Christie tried to offer tips on proper clay-packing technique, Col belched fire and growled, "I'm packin' it!" Christie immediately morphed into her cowering puppy mode, but in case she forgot that it's always all her fault, he slipped in the reminder: "You're killing me, you know that?"

Sure, Colin and his simpering sidekick fumed into first place, but we still expect an episode where his head actually explodes.

Maybe next week."

hee hee hee

One can only hope, excuse me I am off to the mosque to pick up a capuccino to go.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-02-04, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Mosques R Starbucks"

>We had to pick our jaws
>up off the floor when
>former Miss Texas (and self-described
>"Christian model") Nicole O'Brian commented
>on the many mosques in
>United Arab Emirates by saying,
>"They have those church things
>everywhere, don't they? What is
>it called, a mosque or
>something? They're on every corner.
>It's like Starbucks here."

Nicole was a former Miss Texas? I can't believe I got this far in the race without hearing that. (Selective hearing?) I would have never thought of her as a beauty contestant. I was having hard enough time thinking of her as a model.

Gee, the things they can do with make up, gel, and silicon these days.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-04, 08:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "After rewatching"
I saw nothing wrong with her statement. She commented on all the churches around that was all. Apparently where she is Starbucks are on each corner, here it's Walgreens and RiteAids.

09-02-04, 09:26 AM (EST)
37. "RE: After rewatching"
I pass 2,237 on my way into work. Based on this fact, I agree. She was drawing an analogy.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

It would have been really funny if Nicole had said, "if we get separated, I will meet you at the Mosque."

09-02-04, 09:36 AM (EST)
38. "RE: After rewatching"
I pass a lot more churches on my way to work than I pass Starbucks, so I still think that CHURCHES would have been a better choice. Besides, where I live, churches tend to have steeples and other architectural features that set them apart from other buildings, making them a very noticeable part of the landscape. Starbucks look like just another business.

09-02-04, 09:41 AM (EST)
39. "RE: After rewatching"
Yes, but we draw analogies based on our socio-econmic worlds. And this is what Nicole happened to say. I am not saying it was a great analogy and it should be on the next verbal SAT.

Let's not go overboard. I refuse to deconstruct a reality TV show.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

She is a model fercryinoutloud. She probably has coffee for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

09-02-04, 09:51 AM (EST)
41. "RE: After rewatching"
But couldn't you also argue that we draw analogies based on socio-cultural relationships? Considering how often she and Brandon talk about their relationship with God, it seems like the word "churches" would have just rolled off her tongue...

She is a Christian fercryinoutloud. She probably says grace before she has coffee for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

09-02-04, 10:22 AM (EST)
42. "RE: After rewatching"
The a-ha lightbulb just went on over my head. I see your point. But again, personally , I take no offense in what she said. Was it hypocritical? Probably. Was it offensive? Meh. Was it airheaded? Sure.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

In fact, I am not even really sure how I wandered into this forum. It is hard for me to watch the show because it is on during baseball season.

09-02-04, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "She said church people!"
I have the tape at home, who would like to see it?

It's Breezygirl's favorite show, so I have to tape it for her now that school has started.
They really need to move it back to 8.

09-02-04, 10:50 AM (EST)
45. "RE: She said church people!"
Did you just call *me* people?

I know we drifted...but this? Really.

09-02-04, 10:39 AM (EST)
43. "She did call them churches"
Her analogy of how many there were is correct. She asked Brandon prior to her starbucks analogy what the churches were called again there.

09-02-04, 10:52 AM (EST)
46. "RE: She did call them churches"
Okay, okay...

Handcrafted by RollDdice

It kills me to see Breezy get windy.
*smooch*

09-02-04, 11:01 AM (EST)
48. "Well yeesh!"
*snif* Can you hear me now?

Handcrafted by RollDdice Save a horse, ride a cowboy.
*smooch*

09-02-04, 11:02 AM (EST)
49. "RE: She did call them churches"
OK, but doesn't that only underscore how callous her analogy really was. Before making the Starbucks comment, she correctly identified a mosque as a place of religious worship, roughly equivalent to a church. THEN instead of using churches in her analogy, she used Starbucks instead, refusing to equate an Islamic place of worship with a Christian place of worship - or, perhaps, refusing to acknowledge the prevalence of Christianity in American culture (because, as many fundamentalists loudly proclaim, they are a persecuted group that are not allowed to participate in American political and social discourse. They apparently have not seen the party platform of the political party currently in power or ever listened to the president give a speech).

09-02-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
50. "RE: She did call them churches"
Here, have some pudding.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Nicole is not very smaht. We get it.

09-02-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
51. "Huh?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-02-04 AT 11:06 AM (EST)

Her analogy was "gee they have churches on every corner here, like we have Starbucks on every corner." That was it. Fino. Finished. Done.

Using churches in her analogy wouldn't have worked, cause where she lives there are Starbucks on every corner not churches.

09-02-04, 11:26 AM (EST)
52. "RE: Huh?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-02-04 AT 11:40 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-02-04 AT 11:31 AM (EST)

OK, OK, OK.

(edited to add this paragraph: I imagine that if you flipped open the telephone directory wherever she lives, you would discover a lot more listings for churches than you would for Starbucks...)

But I still think that she might have been a little offended if she watched a non-Western team running a similar race through the United States and somebody said "Look, they have have churches everywhere, kinda like marketplaces back home" or a team from London saying "They've got as many churches as we have tube stops." It just doesn't show much respect.

BTW, thanks for the pudding Greenmonstah. Yum, candy from strangers... You're right, nobody ever accused Nicole of being the sharpest crayon in the box. I think that some people, myself included, are reacting mostly because she seems to be especially uncomfortable everywhere they go that the majority of people have a skin color other than white. (Edited again to clarify: And please do not misinterpret that observation. I am in no way trying to say that she is racist. I do not think that she harbors any ill will towards the people she meets; she just seems uncomfortable in those places that are the most culturally different from her own experiences in America. Those places (so far) happen to be in Africa, the Middle East, and sub-Asia as opposed to the earlier legs of the race in North America, South America, and Europe. A constant reminder to her of those cultural differences is the fact that the people around her do not look like her.)

09-02-04, 12:12 PM (EST)
56. "LOL"
I came back in here, cause I forgot to welcome you to the boards and now I see you've edited your post a couple times.

Well first off. Welcome. Stay, play and have fun.

As for the rest, nope she's not that smart. Sorry. She was just making an observation/comparision to what she sees on her corners to what she was seeing there.

Pudding is good, but smooches are better. *smooch*

09-02-04, 12:20 PM (EST)
57. "RE: LOL"
*smooches* right back at you, Breezy. I'm honored to be welcomed by a Centerfold of your magnitude.

As for Nicole not being too smart, I think that she's running neck and neck with some of her competitors... Some of them do seem more enthusiastic about new people, places, and challenges than others though...

09-02-04, 01:12 PM (EST)
60. "RE: LOL"
Don't let the staples in my belly button scare you. I'm a marshmallow.

I agree there are some really stupid racers this year. Colin's remarks in the cab about the "culture" and "beautiful scenery" was extremely stupid and rude. But I'll take that to a Colin bash thread. *grin*

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

09-02-04, 12:24 PM (EST)
58. "RE: LOL"
Actually, the pudding is little lumpy today. And a Breezy smooch? She is kind of a 'ho...her smooches are like Starbucks, a dime a dozen.

But I agree...Welcome History Detective...have fun.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

09-02-04, 03:19 PM (EST)
63. "Oh, for cryin' out loud!!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-02-04 AT 03:20 PM (EST)

Didja not see up there where Shakes points out that the Starbucks analogy is a JOKE!!! Common enough to be used in a movie and a TV show!

Yeah, she's an over-the-top Christian, and an airheaded model.

But it was an off-the-cuff joke that wasn't intended to insult anybody's religion!! Geeeeez!!!

Talk about a tempest in a teapot!!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Well, I'm not at a "Shakes flame" level, but I'm tryin'.

09-02-04, 04:50 PM (EST)
65. "RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!!"
You know what, after reading all of this, I may have been a bit rash (me, rash, never )in my comments about little Nici. I still think she was out of line but I think it has more to do with her being an airheaded model and not a basher of the Muslim religion.

I think my indignation with the comment (and the reason why this particular comment was shown by the editors of TAR5) was because she espouses to be a God-fearing Christian and her religion is a big part of her life. To say something so off-handed about another religion (a major one with millions of members) was just so amazing to me. I perceived her to be so totally lacking in any awareness that this comment may have been inappropriate, it just got my blood boiling.

Well, boner, somebody has to step in now that we have the "I LOVE YOU" clown...*Hate* that clown

09-02-04, 04:55 PM (EST)
66. "RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!!"
And see, I don't even see it as commenting about another religion as much as commenting about BUILDINGS.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

09-02-04, 05:03 PM (EST)
67. "RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!!"
But why do you think the editors chose to pick that comment from that racer???? It definitely was put in the episode for its irony

Come on, flame me, boner, I'm dying here without the clown...

09-02-04, 07:27 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!!"

I think I agree with that, but, I'm not sure SHE knew that, or knows how to be ironic on purpose, more, the devilesh editing team did and does.

sisterwoman 163 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-04-04, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sisterwoman Click to send private message to sisterwoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
73. "RE: Oh, for cryin' out loud!!"
>
>I think I agree with that,
>but, I'm not sure SHE
>knew that, or knows how
>to be ironic on purpose,
>more, the devilesh editing team
>did and does.

Exactly my thoughts,007. When I saw the episode, that is just what I was thinking- that there were many other things they could have put in place of that comment, but they knew how outraged people would be over it, or at least to point out that Lovely American Ignorance that so many international places love to see. Its why we are so loved in other countries. <rolling eyes>

When I heard the comment, I never thought she was smart enough to make a JOKE like that. SHe is just young and ignorant. I was there once also- as hard as that is to believe

rasslinmomma 938 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-02-04, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rasslinmomma Click to send private message to rasslinmomma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
69. "Swoop"
Clueless definitely describes Nicole. I can easily visualize her with her mop-headed BF Brandon, and a sheepdog named Rory, roaming the local Starbucks back home, looking for a blend that reminds her of "those pretty buildings in Dubai"

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

09-03-04, 10:29 AM (EST)
70. "RE: Swoop"
Nice swoop!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •