The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"'The Restaurant' gets glowing review from Wall St. Journal"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-18-03, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"'The Restaurant' gets glowing review from Wall St. Journal"
As many of you know, Mark Burnett's new reality show "The Restaurant" premieres Sunday night (7/20) at 10 PM on NBC.

In today's edition of the Wall Street Journal, the show received a rave review, which referred to it as "riveting." It's especially notable because the WSJ critic, Dorothy Rabinowitz, doesn't care for reality TV in general.

I'm reprinting the review here.

******** WARNING ********* WARNING ***********

This review contains LOTS OF SPOILERS about what will happen over the course of the show. If you don't want to know, don't read it.

******** WARNING ********* WARNING ***********

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB105849897956639200,00.html?mod=weekend%5Fjournal%5Fsecondary%5Fhs

"THE RESTAURANT," a new reality show unlike anything previously seen in that genre is itself something of a soap opera. From Mark Burnett Productions (creators of the "Survivor" series) this unscripted enterprise (Sunday, 10-11 p.m. on NBC) follows the adventures of chef Rocco DiSpirito, late of Manhattan's Union Pacific, as he struggles to launch his own restaurant, Rocco's on 22nd.

In the film's opening scenes Rocco holds forth on his youth, and on parties in a basement, explaining that the new restaurant was going to be all about his background.

Training Day

An ominous beginning note. Fortunately, the charming Rocco moves quickly on from there to the main drama -- his struggle to find the right space, deal with his financier, assemble a staff and get the place going in time for the opening date. The tension builds as his busy press agent gets him prized promotional spots on radio and TV -- things he can't get out of. Thus does the chef find himself in the unenviable position of announcing his new restaurant opening, without being able to say where it will be. As opening day approaches he has yet to find the space, and get -- and train -- a staff.

The whole show comes sharply alive when he begins interviewing for restaurant talent. Now long lines of aspiring employees (a lot of them attracted by the cameras) stand waiting for the chance to sell themselves as perfect for the new venture -- a scene thick with telling social notes, and one as emotional as a theatre casting call. One delicious montage offers a steady succession of applicants announcing, "I'm a people person."

The show maintains its life throughout, no small thanks to Rocco himself -- whose master chef's soul reveals itself when he enters the kitchen -- and to the 1,001 disasters that occur, including the kitchen fire on opening night, the absence of chairs and the half-tiled floor. Include, also, the hilariously mixed-up waiter, certain that diners want to engage in protracted conversation with him, when it is abundantly clear that at least one of them would prefer to kill him. And all this was just the "soft" opening -- mainly for friends and specially invited guests. Not a few of those friends and special guests looked as though they thought they'd stumbled into Fawlty Towers.

Even people who view reality shows as a blight on the TV landscape (for good reason) can risk a look at this one. Riveting stuff. Rocco's of 22nd Street is, it can be reported, now up and running and doing very well.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 This is Serial Documentary... IceCat 07-18-03 1
 RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing r... Drive My Car 07-19-03 2
   RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing r... cqvenus 07-19-03 3
 RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing r... TechNoir 07-19-03 4
 RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing r... SJerseyChip 07-31-03 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

07-18-03, 07:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "This is Serial Documentary..."
... and they said that reality TV was going to be the death of documentary! Hah!

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-03, 01:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing review from Wall St. Journal"
I am looking forward to this!
It really promises to be what most of the Summers " Reality" offerings aren't. I want to look behind the scenes in places I would never be. The start up of a resturant sounds perfect.

I think TLC has the term we really want, " Unscripted".
We really want to see unscripted TV. It is almost like a documentary as opposed to the "reality" crap we've seen lately.

Don't get me wrong I like some of the crap too, but this summer seems to be flooded with it (and most of it bad) This show looks more like a real life scenario on camera, then a planned show.

I admit to wanting to see into others lives, it's why the Real World sucked me in so many years ago. This show looks fresh, and goodness knows we need something fresh on TV.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-03, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing review from Wall St. Journal"
Unscripted

word.

that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

~ cq

- better than scripted alleged reality TV

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

07-19-03, 11:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing review from Wall St. Journal"
The scheduling sucks though ... putting it up against HBO's smash hits doesn't make any sense.

"Half of Tech's charm is that sometimes I have no idea what she's talking about" -- True

SJerseyChip 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-31-03, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SJerseyChip Click to send private message to SJerseyChip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 'The Restaurant' gets glowing review from Wall St. Journal"
I like the show, but I can't accept two little things concerning the premise of this show.

1) During the premiere episode, Rocco spends minute after minute talking about how he wants to create a restaurant that served the food he grew up eating. It was his "mission" to bring the Italian food he used to eat to THIS country!

HEEELLLLOOO!!!??? How old is this guy? *30*??? WHEN did he grow up? THE EIGHTIES???

I grew up in South Jersey just outside of Phildelphia - there's no shortage of FINE Italian Resturants!

2) Will the restaurant be a success?

First off, we all know what's on his mind: get the hell out of there and roll out the franchise resturants and grocery products with his little picture on the front... Rocco's microwavable pizza in a cup! The Japanese will LOVE it! Then move to Tuscany, where his future grandkids can live off of the royalties and tell stories about what a firecracker the old man was while looking at his portrait over the 12 foot fireplace next to the window overlooking the vineyards. FWIW, Chef Boy-ar-di was a gourmet Italian chef, too.

Let's look at this business model: Rocco's ONE restaurant is being constantly plugged on a national BROADCAST network including the freaking TODAY show where food chains have to pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS for 30 second spots!!!

Planet Hollywood didn't get this amount of media coverage, and they're still in business selling hamburgers for $12 and soda refills aren't free!

SO... *HOW* WILL THE RESTAURANT SUCCEED???

THE QUESTION SHOULD BE: HOW CAN IT POSSIBLY FAIL?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •