The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-25-04, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
Travel in a third world country is very different, and that is what makes it very interesting. One should not be surprised to be ripped off by bus or taxi drivers, at markets, or crossing borders. This does not make these individuals bad, it is just that in many third world countries such things happen all the time. Colin acts like an entitled prick....probably a Republican (note cheapshot) when he trys to stiff the taxi driver that he agreed to pay $100.00, and now wants to pay $50.00. My bet is that but for the ever present camera crew his ##### would have been locked away until he paid not just the $100.00, but many more $$$ to the cops, jailers, and anyone else he pissed off.

Bribes, overcharges, or whatever you want to call them are very common when traveling independently, and in particular at borders. As a white foreigner crossing borders in South East Asia I paid small tokens of appreciation to get my passport stamped to either exit or enter. It may not be legal, but unless you want to sit until hell freezes over you shut up, pay the man, and move on.

Last nights show was compelling television in an uncomfortable way....I was squirming in my chair because I knew what the result would be of trying to stiff the cabbie. TAR should continue to send the racers into the developing world, and require them to find their own transportation, and see how the true travelers get by with smarts...and jerk offs like Colin and Team Hypocrite get what they deserve from the locals. I never thought anyone could rival Ian for the title of "truly shameful", but Colin is working at it very hard. He just might make it given his current pace.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Third World is not the First Wo... sittem 08-25-04 1
 RE: Third World is not the First Wo... warp_core breach 08-25-04 2
   RE: Third World is not the First Wo... NoParole 08-27-04 5
 RE: Third World is not the First Wo... mocha madness 08-27-04 3
 RE: Third World is not the First Wo... steppingrazor42 08-27-04 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-25-04, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
Very well stated - the advantage TAR participants have is a camera crew traveling with them that can mute the behavior a bit and diminish the risk factor for not so smart decisions by Colin, Brandon/Nicole and Chip.

I still wonder if the producers address these issues/risks beforehand or if the racers are on their own to figure this stuff out. Since it makes for good TV it must be the latter.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

warp_core breach 469 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-25-04, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail warp_core%20breach Click to send private message to warp_core%20breach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
I'm so glad you brought that up! I was thinking the exact same thing. What's with these people? You're not in North America! I agree, if it wasn't for the cameras... this privileged, white American man would have paid the $100.00 several times over. And for his beligerence it could have likely been beat out of him. Oh and an additional $100.00 to each of the guys beating you too! And then there's last week's episode where Nicole threw the money at that man. I'm thinking she was lucky there was a camera crew around. She's in the heart of Africa (a continent that has seen much violence and still does). Third world country. Pretty, privileged, white American woman treating this African man (who's trying to earn a living whether we agree with his methods or not) with disrespect, in his own country. If you want to seriously get hurt, keep it up Colin and Nicole!

NoParole 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-27-04, 06:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NoParole Click to send private message to NoParole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
True. Some third world countries still treat their women as second class citizens(at best). Nicole doesn't realize how close he was to a serious beating. Women do not disgrace African men like she did. In the words of some African men I know, who have since become US citizens, "I would have slapped that b-tch". Knowing them, I was cringing when Niki did that. I'm sure the only thing that may have saved her was the presence of the cameras. Future racers please take heed... know where you are and how to act

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings

08-27-04, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
It is not uncommon to barter or gift things when traveling in Developing/Third World countries. The teams short on $$$ could have given something away in exchange for not having enough money to pay for things. I would like to see the teams having to be more resourceful when traveling, but I guess when the producers take away their money the teams have to get resourceful in a hurry. I expect that if it happens to Brandon and Nicole they could always preach their way to the next pit stop.

steppingrazor42 283 desperate attention whore postings

08-27-04, 06:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail steppingrazor42 Click to send private message to steppingrazor42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Third World is not the First World-That is What Makes it Interesting"
Thank you for this post! All so true. I was waiting for Colin to get pitched into the clink! You could just tell he had no idea what he could've really gotten himself into....but then again wasn't it all Christi's fault???

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •