The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-05-05, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"

State of the
Spoiling Episode Eight

“What we don’t know, affects what we do know, in ways we will never know.”
Richard Rhodes.

This quote, from one of my favorite authors, should be the motto of spoilers everywhere.

Episode 8 Title

Neanderthal Man. Someone was convinced once that this was a reference to the fire-building challenge Mersaydeez says happens in this episode. Others are convinced it’s a reference to Bobby Jon. Perhaps it’s both.

CBS Misdirection

See the thread here.

A Survivor becomes irritated with the tribe's living conditions and lack of maintenance around camp, which has attracted unwelcome visitors.

General consensus is that this is Coby as was shown to us in the TV promo. There are some (Bebo) who think this could be Tom.

Several weeks surviving on an island has driven one Survivor to exhibit unruly behavior, much to the concern of a tribemate.

Bobby Jon and Steph. Probably. On the other hand, is just belching cause for being considered unruly?

The Survivors get a chance to sample a Palauan delicacy, which can be rather difficult to swallow. Who has the will to stomach this indigenous cuisine?

Obviously Steph and Bobby Jon on the one side. There are shots of Tom chewing something. Fruit bat, perhaps? (Thanks Vols!)

Two Survivors disagree on how the tribe should enjoy their Reward, leaving one of them feeling defeated and annoyed with the final decision.

Bobby Jon and Steph? When you’re down to two people on one tribe, it’s easy to narrow down the misdirection.

Promos

Promo vidcaps are all over the place. Thursday night’s caps are here. The focus is on the rats at Ulong, Coby becoming upset with living conditions, and Bobby Jon belching.

Web promo and on-air promo caps can be found here. Focus of the Web promo is on Ulong being decimated and “in the fight of their lives”, Coby being depressed, and Ian showing his lack of understanding of the “Strategies Revealed” theory. (While we’re at it, have we ever had an alliance thrown in our faces as much as that alliance is in the Web promo? Considering that many believe three of the four people mentioned are three of the final four, is MB throwing the “Strategies Revealed” theorem in our faces?) The focus of the on-air promo is the competition between Ulong and Koror. As the voiceover says “It’s two against eight – can the mighty beat the many?”

Which brings me to why I’m even mentioning the promos here. (I’ll be discussing the content in the context of the RC and IC later.) I think it’s important that any analysis of promos begin, if possible, with watching the actual promo instead of looking at the vidcaps. Vidcaps can be deceiving if you don’t have the context in which the caps are presented. For instance, the two types of promos have vastly different audiences. The Web promo is more for the hardcore Survivor fan, the person who is definitely going to watch the show. These promos contain more detailed information and are more likely to contain misdirection or information open to interpretation. The on-air promos are for the casual viewer. They are designed primarily to attract people who might otherwise not be inclined to watch. These promos usually boil down to one conflict, one simple enticing storyline. These are unlikely to contain misdirection or information open to interpretation. There’s a simple reason for this – you don’t want to draw a casual viewer in with the promise of one thing and then give them something different. They’ll feel they were subject to a bait and switch and not watch again.

Reward Challenge

As indicated in the misdirection, the Gross Food Challenge. We know Steph and Bobby Jon compete. But who from Koror? There is footage of Tom chewing something. The suggestion is made by HE that perhaps Tom and Ian have to compete because they sat out the two previous challenges. We’ve already seen the sitout rule adjusted to fit the special circumstances. (That is, the people who participated in the RC last week were forced to sit out the IC.) Maybe it’s been adjusted further so that no one can do a challenge until everyone has done one. That would force Tom and Ian into the RC. But who wins? Well, there are shots of a happy Steph and Bobby Jon returning to camp. So let’s go with them.

Immunity Challenge One

If you follow the Mersaydeez spoiler to its logical conclusion, there are two ICs in this episode. The first is a regular IC between Ulong and Koror. Both are discussed here. This involves some sort of water challenge, and we know that Coby is participating for Koror. We’re not sure who the other person is, though speculation ranges from Gregg to Janu to Jenn. Personally, I think it would have to be Gregg or Jenn. There’s swimming, going under a dock type thing, and a photo of the II stool. There are also shots of a wet and depressed Steph and Bobby Jon going back to camp. So, Koror win.

Immunity Challenge Two

According to the Mersaydeez spoiler, the second IC is a fire-building challenge between Bobby Jon and Steph. This challenge takes place because Ulong loses the last Tribal Immunity and there has to be some way to determine who goes home. This is the source of much debate all over the board. We seem divided into two camps – those who believe Mers and those who don’t. Those who do think things shake out (more or less) exactly as she says. Ulong loses, then Steph and Bobby Jon go head to head with one staying and one going. Those who don’t believe her think that the Ulong two get to IC and find out they’ve been merged and are now competing for Individual Immunity. (There is also a small “Bobby Jon gets kidnapped” contingent floating around. For them I say – GIVE IT UP!!!!!! Not going to happen. No way, no how. Maybe he stays around because of a merge, but he’s not getting kidnapped.)

I’m firmly in the “believe Mers” camp. For one thing, she’s been right everything she directly quoted her source on. (The thing she was wrong about, Ibe outlasting Bobby Jon, was her own supposition – not her source’s statement.) For another, the photographic evidence, and the context of the promos, clearly show a tribal immunity challenge. There are people sitting out. The Immunity Idol stool is there. We see a wet and defeated Steph and Bobby Jon walking back from the Challenge. The promos talk about “Ulong fighting for their lives” and “can the mighty beat the many”. Couple this with Probst’s preseason statement that there would not be a merge, and even without Mers there would still be people arguing that we are seeing a first and that a two-person tribe is competing for Tribal Immunity. We might now know how they resolve things if Ulong loses, but there would still be people arguing that it is still tribal without a merge. (For you Bobby Jon gets kidnapped types still around, answer this: Absent the CMC spoiler, is there any evidence whatsoever that supports the argument that Bobby Jon gets kidnapped? Nope. Nothing.) And the flip side is true as well. Other than tradition, is there any evidence that supports the notion that it isn’t a tribal immunity challenge? Nope. Not really.

So that’s where I stand. Ulong loses the first immunity challenge, Bobby Jon loses the second immunity challenge, and we’re off to next week.

Long Term

We see a hint of the Tom, Katie, Ian, Steph alliance. This is where we are going next, along with Gregg and Jenn in love, Coby feeling outcast, and Janu slowly disappearing before our eyes.

SOTS is provided by SurvivorBlows.com as a service to our readers. The purpose of this post is to consolidate the threads in the Spoiler Forum pertaining to this week's episode. Feel free to reply to this post if you feel that a theory you support was not adequately represented in this message. Please use this thread for unified discussion of all topics as we approach the next episode.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... volsfan 04-05-05 1
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... emydi 04-05-05 2
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... Brownroach 04-05-05 3
   RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... Devious Weasel 04-05-05 5
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... Krautboy 04-05-05 4
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... kingfish 04-05-05 6
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... Magic Fingers 04-05-05 7
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... KObrien_fan 04-05-05 8
 Hallo? LookeeLoo 04-05-05 9
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... Wheezy 04-06-05 10
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... Flowerpower 04-06-05 11
 UPDATE Devious Weasel 04-06-05 12
 UPDATE TWO Devious Weasel 04-06-05 13
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... strid333 04-06-05 14
   RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... VerucaSalt 04-07-05 15
 RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode ... kmac23va 04-07-05 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

04-05-05, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Great job rodent! I am going with Mers just because she has been right so far but I am still leary of the promos not even giving us a mention that something strange will happen during the TC.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-05-05, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Nice SOTS...I'm in your KISS camp again!!!

Although I think the CBmiSdirection about two members of a tribe disagreeing about how to partake in the reward is Tom and Coby after they win the RC and of course, Coby's side, does not win....

but I've been wrong before...yes.. I know you all don't believe it but it's true ....

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

04-05-05, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Who are you and what you have done with Devious Weasel? The real Dweezil would have loaded his SOTS with examples of his inimitable sense of humor, in addition to delivering a well-presented account of the spoilers for this Ep. (The latter of which you did.)

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

04-05-05, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
That's what happens when I'm trying to sneak in a SOTS while doing heavy work assignments.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-05-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Nice work DWeasel!

Chocked full of great information...and I'm glad you took the editorial approach, rather than the journalistic approach. Having your opinions makes it much more interesting to read.

Thanks!

Krautboy

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

04-05-05, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Nice job. And there is humor. A different flavor, but quite good. I enjoyed it very much.

Magic Fingers 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-05-05, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magic%20Fingers Click to send private message to Magic%20Fingers Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
I didn't even look to see who wrote the SOTS this week until I got to the bottom and saw it was DW..I was
I think you nailed this one on the head.

You did an awesome job DW!
Thank You

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

04-05-05, 08:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Excellent job Dweeze, I enjoyed reading this and I believe it is spot on.

LookeeLoo 1169 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-05-05, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LookeeLoo Click to send private message to LookeeLoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Hallo?"
That you, Dweeze? I'm with BR. Would not have guessed this was your SOTS, even though it was packed with the pertinent!

LookeeLoo

Another Dicey Original 2004

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 01:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"

HA HA HA!!!

Your humour gets subtler and subtler so that only a few remain laughing and others walk away puzzled, yet still awe-struck...

Well done, rodent. Had a busy week this week and was way behind, and you helped me out tremendously.

*smooch*

What. Are you looking at.
he funny, the dweeze

Wheeze * Everything In Between

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 07:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Thanks, Dweasel! I'm with you all the way for this week.

Fp

04-06-05, 12:53 PM (EST)
12. "UPDATE"
These pictures from the IC are of a wet Bobby Jon.

Vols asked the question “what are the two "stands" for?” here but it was never discussed. TDT suggests that the stands are puzzle stands, and that part of the IC is completing a puzzle. So, the survivors swim out, get the puzzle pieces, bring them back, then have to complete the puzzle. That might be how Koror is able to win an otherwise extremely physical challenge without Tom.

04-06-05, 03:18 PM (EST)
13. "UPDATE TWO"
Don't miss this thread about whether or not a mistake occurs at TC.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-06-05, 05:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Good job on the confusing week.

As much as I usually cheer for an underdog, I want Ulong to lose just to see how this is going to be handled.

Three is the perfect number.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-07-05, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Excellent job DW; I always enjoy reading the talent that comes out of these SOTS

kmac23va 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-07-05, 08:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kmac23va Click to send private message to kmac23va Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: State Of The Spoiling, Episode Eight"
Something that I recall that may lend credence to the fire-building being a tie-breaker at TC. On the DVD commentary for season 1 (Probst, Hatch, Rudy, Gervase), Richard mentions that in the original Survivor rules, a tie was to be broken by some kind of challenge. Of course later we saw it become previous votes against, then the purple rock, but for this special circumstance, perhaps they're bringing back the old rule?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •