The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-28-05, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
Since the topic has come up again this season I thought it might be good to review.

The rule, as I understand it, is that a contestant may not sit out two consecutive challenges occuring in a 3 day boot cycle. After a TC, the slate is wiped clean and the counter starts over...

Here's a link to the previous discussion from the archives:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4827&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes

Krautboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Thank you KB sylvester 02-28-05 1
 RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? Brownroach 02-28-05 2
   RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? sylvester 02-28-05 3
   RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? JohnMc 03-03-05 5
       RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? Brownroach 03-03-05 6
           RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? JohnMc 03-03-05 7
 RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? television 02-28-05 4
   RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule? pax 03-13-05 9
 Confirmed, finally Brownroach 03-11-05 8
   RE: Confirmed, finally ohboy 03-14-05 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sylvester 555 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-28-05, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sylvester Click to send private message to sylvester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Thank you KB"
Lots of confusion on the board again this season over this very topic.

Several of us keep popping into various discussions to try to clarify, but it keeps coming back, lol.

KB is correct peeps, the slate wipes clean with the episode, it has been done in the past, a survivor can sit out the IC in one episode and yes, sit out the RC in the NEXT episode.

Maybe this thread will help put the issue to rest.

Please call me Cat!!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-28-05, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
I don't think this has ever been resolved. Jeff Probst always states that the rule is you cannot sit out two challenges in a row. In the other discussion thread, tribephyl cited one instance in S4 where there were back-to-back sit-outs in the IC and the next RC, but Rotu outnumbered Maraamu 8-4 at the time, so they might have been lax on that one occasion. I don't think there are any other examples of someone sitting out the IC and then the next RC.

And lately we don't necessarily have three-day boot cycles.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

sylvester 555 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-28-05, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sylvester Click to send private message to sylvester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
Wouldn't you know I just erased all the Vanuatu episodes off my Tivo last week, darn it.

I'm fairly certain Scout sat out at least one IC and then the next episodes' RC, if not more.

I will find you some more examples BR, diving into archives now, someone please come looking for me if I get lost.

Please call me Cat!!

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-03-05, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
Rotu never outnumbered Maraamu 8-4. By the time Maraamu was down to 4, Rotu had lost Gabe. 7-4 means that 3 people sit out, so one person will do both RC and IC. At their last RC/IC before the merge, Bahston Rahb did both challenges.

With S9, Scout never sat out back to back challenges, either from an RC to an IC or vice versa. Somehow there was a "watered-down" component that allowed Scout to do things like shout directions to lose a challenge or something innocuous like that which allowed the girls to have a chance at challenges.

In this case, if Koror whittles Ulong down to 9-4, this would clearly be a case where you could not mathematically avoid sitting out the same person for back to back challenges.

(And, Koror, if you get to this point, I recommend you hold Willard back. Kind of an offbeat strategy, I know, but that's what I would do.)

03-03-05, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
Rotu never outnumbered Maraamu 8-4. By the time Maraamu was down to 4, Rotu had lost Gabe.

Maraamu lost 4 IC's before Gabe got booted. Peter, Patricia, Hunter went, then with the tribal switch Maraamu consisted of Gina, Sarah, Kathy, Paschal and Neleh. This group lost the next IC as well, and Sarah got the boot.

So going into Ep 5, when Gabe got booted, Maraamu had 4 peeps and Rotu had 8.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-03-05, 04:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-05 AT 05:01 PM (EST)

I stand corrected. I didn't do enough backwards math. I was only thinking of the Gina boot and not the Gabe boot.

And if we check out KB's link back to the original discussion, the illustrious TRIBE demonstrated an instance in S4 where the same person did indeed sit out in back to back challenges.

Thanks for that link, Krautboy; I'd have forgotten about that discussion otherwise.

television 282 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-28-05, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail television Click to send private message to television Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
I wonder what would happen if, say, Koror outnumbered Ulong 9-4 without any tribal switch - in that case, at least one person would have to sit out two consecutive challenges in the same show.

I wonder if we'll see...

pax 56 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-13-05, 09:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pax Click to send private message to pax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: What is the Sit-Out Rule?"
I was wondering the same thing.

Assuming that we do indeed have a double boot this time, it'll become 8-4. That means half the Korors would have to sit out each challenge in the next week's episode. This would create some tough choices for the Korors -- do they keep their four strongest members for the IC and cut their chances of winning a reward?

Then we face the prospect of an 8-3 division the following week with two Korors not competing in ANY challenges. Wonder what contingencies are in place for that?

Do I recall correctly that there has been a challenge or two over the seasons in which imbalanced numbers were allowed to compete when quantity had no real bearing? I seem to remember a situation in which there were head-to-head competitions (maybe gross food challenges?) where one team had to have a couple of members compete twice.

03-11-05, 11:43 AM (EST)
8. "Confirmed, finally"
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-05 AT 11:43 AM (EST)

Last night's episode apparently confirmed that the no back-to-back sit-outs rule does not carry over from the IC to the next RC, at least if Jeff Probst decides that he doesn't want it to.

At the RC he reminded Ian that the same people "cannot sit out back-to-back challenges" (which is what he always say). Ian, thinking ahead to the IC, opted to sit out Janu. But Janu had sat out the previous IC and Probst said nothing.

So there we have it, I guess.

ohboy 168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-14-05, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ohboy Click to send private message to ohboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Confirmed, finally"
Well , the sit out rule would have to change if Koror keeps winning. And if Mercedes is right, then only one Ulong is left then we will see Korror having to sit out 5 or 6 people in some instances, and then they would have no choice but to sit the same people out in back to back challenges . I wonder if it will be addressed on the show.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •