The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

IreneMcGee 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-21-04, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IreneMcGee Click to send private message to IreneMcGee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
Leah LaBelle was on Fox News, and she kept saying how she didn't like the song she sang on last week's show before she performed, and that of course, she would not ever sing it again.

She seems stron-willed enough that she would not sing a song she did not like unless she was made to do so.

Are we being fed a line of hooey about them "choosing" their own songs?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... Chrissy gal 03-21-04 1
   RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... IreneMcGee 03-21-04 2
       RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... StarryLuna 03-21-04 3
           RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... 712 03-21-04 4
               RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... IreneMcGee 03-21-04 5
   RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... niteowl 03-22-04 6
       RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... ManilaESQ 03-22-04 7
 RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... managerr 03-22-04 8
   RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... opinionated 03-22-04 9
   RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own ... Loquatrix 03-22-04 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-21-04, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
I think the vocal coach and piano player strongly suggest what songs they think the contestants should sing. I also think the list of songs they can sing is short in case they don't go along with the recommendation.

03-21-04, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IreneMcGee Click to send private message to IreneMcGee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
That's my thinking as well. Also, I bet if two singers like the same song, it's quite political (read: more popular one gets it) as to which is the one actually performing it on show night.

Some of the stuff those judges say may not even be the fault of the singers.

>I think the vocal coach and
>piano player strongly suggest what
>songs they think the contestants
>should sing. I also
>think the list of songs
>they can sing is short
>in case they don't go
>along with the recommendation.
>
>

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-21-04, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
Actually, didn't two singers sing the same song last year? I seem to remember Josh (the military guy) and another contestant singing the same song on the same night.

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-21-04, 08:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
Josh and Clay both sang "To Love Somebody" on BeeGees night, and Josh and Ruben both sang "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" on Motown night.

03-21-04, 10:15 PM (EST)
5. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
ah ok, I was remembering it wrong. I thought only Unchained Melody was re-sung, and only because Justin was a guest performer (Clay sang it I think the same night).

niteowl 199 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-04, 02:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl Click to send private message to niteowl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
Do you think that they encourage "unpopular" contestants to continue with a bad choice or switch last minute to a worse choice? Or is that way too "paranoid/conspiracy theory" even for the well-seasoned cynics on this board. "chuckle"

ManilaESQ 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-22-04, 04:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ManilaESQ Click to send private message to ManilaESQ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
I think that a contestant can sing any song provided that the American Idol has secured the required license for the performance of the song. It is possible that a contestant will not be allowed to sing the song indicated as the first choice.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-22-04, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
They are given a list of songs to choose from. If they don't like anything on that list, they can make a request--but if Fox can't get the rights to that song, then they can't sing it.

In some cases, songs are forced upon them though. I know that the bikini model, Lisa Wilson, said that the song was forced upon her and she didn't have time to practice--Fox said the song she wanted to sing had been performed too many times and basically gave her another one because they were short on time.

In either case, it's part of the contract, Fox is allowed to do that. However, I will say that in Leah's case, there is absolutely no song that would have saved her. She was just way out of her league.

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings

03-22-04, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
>In either case, it's part of
>the contract, Fox is allowed
>to do that. However,
>I will say that in
>Leah's case, there is absolutely
>no song that would have
>saved her. She was
>just way out of her
>league.

As was the bikini model -- LOL!

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-22-04, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: hmm they REALLY pick their own songs?"
It's not just a question of whether Fox can get the rights. Clearing licenses from publishers is very easy to do because basically all you're saying is "Here is a lot of money. Now let us use your song." Publishers only really hear the first part. ;)

More of an issue is the fact that all the songs have to be rearranged for the 2-minutes-or-so slot each contestant has. You'll notice that they rarely, if ever, perform full renditions of songs.

Thus, the musical director is going to be working with a limited songbook -- maybe 20 selections, would be my guess? -- just for the simple time factor of rearranging and rehearsing all the numbers. And the contestants get to choose from that song book.

I also assume that voting figures from the prior week dictate who gets to sing the song when two or more people want it. If I recall rightly, it always seems to be the "better" singers who get the "best" songs out of any week's selection.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •