The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

RyrieRae 416 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-21-04, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
Did anyone catch this on Sunday Night? I found alot of things interesting, and tried the whole time to gather "behind-the-scenes" information that could help us spoil upcoming seasons.

Some things I found interesting...

> When a person is voted off (and they make the jury), they have the option of eating their first meal with the jury, or taking a shower and eating alone in their hotel room.

> There is approximately 30 minutes between the time the votes are cast and when they are read.

> Apparently CBS got flooded with calls and letters when Rupert was voted off Survivor 7, asking "how could this be?" So EPMB cast him in Allstars AND arranged "America's Tribal Council" to ensure that Rupert would win at least one million dollars, making the fans happy.

>According to THS, Survivor is not planning on ending any time soon.

The points, although interesting, may not be particularly spoilish, but I would love to hear if anybody caugh tanything that was.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... volsfan 12-21-04 1
   RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... RyrieRae 12-21-04 2
   RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... abbahammer 12-22-04 4
       RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... volsfan 12-22-04 5
           RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... RyrieRae 12-23-04 6
           RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... abbahammer 12-23-04 9
               RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... volsfan 12-23-04 10
               RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... Scarlett O Hara 12-24-04 11
               RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... RyrieRae 12-27-04 13
       RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... Loree 12-24-04 12
 RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... Scarlett O Hara 12-22-04 3
   RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Stor... SurvivorBlows 12-23-04 8
 Will be on again.... lilRED 12-23-04 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-21-04, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
I didn't see this but with it being on E! I am sure they will replay it alot.

AND arranged "America's Tribal Council" to ensure that Rupert would win at least one million dollars, making the fans happy.

This is just wrong and sickening.

12-21-04, 06:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RyrieRae Click to send private message to RyrieRae Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
<AND arranged "America's Tribal Council" to ensure that Rupert would win at least one million dollars, making the fans happy.

This is just wrong and sickening.>

I semi-agree. I am not a Rupert fan, and with many on this sight, was disappointed when they GAVE him a million dollars. But at least this answered the question "why" they did it.

Despite my personal feelings, there are obviously MANY viewers who like him, and I guess their protest is what CBS kept in mind. At least they made an attempt to keep viewers happy. We just have to realize that we are in the minority, and our thoughts on the subject will always be out-weighed by tie-die fans.

abbahammer 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-22-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail abbahammer Click to send private message to abbahammer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
I don't think it is any more "wrong" than pagonging, or voting out the strongest first strategy, or the Under the Radar strategy. The fact is this show is called Survivor, and if it were truly based on Survival in the wild, I am sure that 98% of the people would have died. Rupert is the exception to this. Do you remember the Outback? They were seriously worried about people's health because they had no food. He actually had the skills to survive.

This is a game. This game has fans. The fans decided the winner of the extra million. It very well could have gone to Boston Rob as well. It made for ratings. That is what TV is all about.

Abbahammer

12-22-04, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
I don't think it is any more "wrong" than pagonging, or voting out the strongest first strategy, or the Under the Radar strategy.

These are all strategies and are the way players play the game...not CBS manipulating a game. CBS knew exactly who would win the money when they offered. You are right...it is all about ratings!

12-23-04, 09:44 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
I agree Volsfan. Unarguably, Rupert did not play the best game out there. I can think of at least a dozen people who played better than him, some of whom were not even on Allstars.

But the editors and producers created this character out of Rupert to fit a stereotype (like they do with all the contestants) and I don't think it is fair to reward Rupert for THEIR creative efforts. None the less, as I have already mentioned, at least they stepped up and made a decision to make the majority of the viewing public happy. I just hope something as unbalanced does not happen again.

abbahammer 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-23-04, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail abbahammer Click to send private message to abbahammer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
I was in a hurry when I posted, I knew someone would take me to task on that. But, what I was trying to point out is there is much in this "game" that is not fair. I argued on these boards that it was unfair to change the rules of the game in the middle of the game. Ie allowing people booted off to come back. I felt it an unfair rule.

I believe Shakes told me that it added a dynamic to the game. So what I'm getting at is that CBS already manipulates this game. Sometimes overtly, like they did with the Rupert vote, and sometimes more subtly. Does MB have a script ahead of time, or does he tweak it as the game goes on? If he tweaks it, then you must admit that he is manipulating this game, and I argue, that this could have the same result as the Favourite survivor for Rupert. In the end for Rupert the audience decided.

Perhaps a better twist, would have been to have the survivors themselves from all 8 seasons vote for the Ultimate Survivor. That may have been an interesting vote.

Abbahammer

12-23-04, 02:46 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
I understand what you are saying but I don't think CBS has manipulated the game per say. I think MB is behind the tweaking of the game. MB had nothing to do with the Rupert voting thing...that was CBS! Now, I don't know if MB has to get approval from CBS or go to the big whigs to see if his changes can occur.

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-24-04, 07:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
what I'm getting at is that CBS already manipulates this game. Sometimes overtly, like they did with the Rupert vote, and sometimes more subtly. Does MB have a script ahead of time, or does he tweak it as the game goes on? If he tweaks it, then you must admit that he is manipulating this game ...

EPMB tweaks and manipulates this game with every edit! They film everything on the island and only show us what they want US to see. They make some Survivors like Rupert, into GOOD GUYS ... and others like Jerri into absolute BIOTCHES ... They are omnipotent and pretty much control everything IMHO.

... a better twist, would have been to have the survivors themselves from all 8 seasons vote for the Ultimate Survivor. That may have been an interesting vote. You are ABSOLUTELY correct! I would LOVE to see this happen.

Scarlett

12-27-04, 01:35 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
But the Rupert vote had nothing to do with the GAME or Strategy. And yes, i agree, that the Survivor's voting would have been much more interesting than America. Save it for American idol, not Survivor.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

12-24-04, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
>>
> Rupert
>is the exception to this.
> Do you remember the
>Outback? They were seriously
>worried about people's health because
>they had no food.
> He actually had
>the skills to survive.

I don't think Rupert would have survived long in his underground shelter. He would have drowned in his sleep when the tide came in and filled it up. The editing made Rupert look better. I have always thought it was very unfair to the others.

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-22-04, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
Yes RR, I saw the special and was mesmerized! It was a great behind-the-scenes documentary on the filming of each show. Kathy provided some insight about the "peeing on the Sea Urchin wound" from Marquesas. She said that two male survivors volunteered to pee on the sting wound, but when they each actually tried to do it in front of the rolling cameras ... their tanks were empty! She said when she stepped up to do the job, the victim told her "Okay ... that's enough," but she replied ... "Sorry ... there's more in the tank and I can't stop it!"

Apparently, a lot of it is ablibbed out there as well. For instance, when Jenna & Heidi stripped for the peanut butter -- it wasn't one of the "planned" food items. Jenna let it slip out that she would strip for peanut butter. When Jiffy realized he did not have any, he sent his grips searching high and low for it. We know their search was successful as we all got to see the outcome on national tv.

All in all, I enjoyed it very much. Not a lot of Spoiler info was provided however.

Scarlett

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-04, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Survivor E! True Hollywood Story"
LAST EDITED ON 12-23-04 AT 11:42 AM (EST)

>Kathy provided some insight about the "peeing on
>the Sea Urchin wound" from Marquesas. She said that
>two male survivors volunteered to pee on the sting wound,
>but when they each actually tried to do it in
>front of the rolling cameras ... their tanks were empty!

She's been telling this stoyr for a long time -- actually I think John was the first one to tell it on The Early Show after he was booted.

>Apparently, a lot of it is ablibbed out there as well.
> For instance, when Jenna & Heidi stripped for the
>peanut butter -- it wasn't one of the "planned" food
>items. Jenna let it slip out that she would
>strip for peanut butter. When Jiffy realized he did
>not have any, he sent his grips searching high and
>low for it.

This story has also been mentioned numerous times in media interviews -- I think by Jiffy himself.

I'm not saying that they don't bare repeating, just that if regurgitating previously publicly reported info is the best that E! can do with this special, then I'm kinda disappointed. It sounds like a supposed acknowledgement that CBS planned the ATC thing for Rupert is the biggest bit of a scoop that they had

(and btw, I don't think CBS did it 100% for Rupert -- I believed at the time, and still believe now, that they did it because they could make far more than $1,000,000 extra by selling advertising for an extra May sweeps Survivor episode while simultaneously creating a suddenly strong competitor to NBC's Frasier series finale broadcast. The "for Rupert" story sounds good, but they forgot to mention the "and more importantly for us" part.)

lilRED 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-23-04, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lilRED Click to send private message to lilRED Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Will be on again...."
On the 25th at 1pm
and the 27th at 8pm
(did not specify time zone, check your local listings)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •