The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What did everyone think?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Lost Forum (Protected)
Current Message

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-06-06, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "Episode 1 thoughts"
I rewatch the episode last night. I liked it. Much better than most of the episodes from last season especially the middle ones where things really bogged down. The opening was brilliant although not quiet as brilliant as last seasons which it mimiced in style and music (the two songs were not the same but very similar).

I thought we actually learned quiet a bit, given we were only shown three of the main characters (we were introduced to another new character Juliet and of course more background on the creapy Ben aka the artist formerly know as Henry Gale). It appears that the Kate choice is Sawyer, while not unexpected is also probably not going to really last either. I just don't see Saywer as a kept man for long, he will eventually break her heart if he's given long enough to do it.

Obviously what we missed was the other castaways, fine with me as long as its something resolved soon, I would much rather a good tight storyline focusing on just a couple of characters than the mess you run into when everyone has to have a role. We only get an hour (40 minutes really), with a cast a large as Lost it doesnt work to have everyone be involved in everything. Plus if you looked close we did get several clues, even if you dont follow the spoiler sites, the actors who play Eko, Locke, AND Desmond all appear in the credits, they are all coming back for the season (although possibly not next week that looks like a Sayid/Jin/Sun epidode on the sailboat). Again that is very similar to last season when we had a raft story, and tail story, and a hatch storyline all being told in different episodes, before being brought all back together over the course of multiple episodes.

So what we learned, well the Others appear to be normal people, as normal as you can be while living in a closed society in a little village on the top of a otherwise "deserted" island... that no one can get to. Clearly they are not completely isolated from the outside world because they have such things as CD players and Steven King books, although since we are talking about "Carrie" and not something newer it is possible they have been isolated for a while (the Jack dossier not withstanding).

In rewatching I got the impression Ben and Juliet do not in fact get along, whether they were at one time close (perhaps even lovers) is possible, but I dont know too many people who would want their EX to join their bookclub... although in such a closed society (and the fact that Ben appears to be the leader) I suppose its not out of the question. I also noted that there were in fact no children in the Other camp. I think it is fair to assume since the Others appear to be very interested in children, and the fact that there were none in the camp suggests that perhaps something in the Others make up prevents them from having their own children.

Next its clear that what they are mostly doing is psychological warfare against the three prisoners. Kate they physically treated delicately but mentally ripped appart. Sawyer they treated as an animal (literally). Jack got the severe mind screwing with the dossier which might include nothing, all that matters is they he believed they new everything even if they didnt. I wonder if perhaps they drugged and interrogated Jack (and Kate) and got the information they were looking for to use for their mind games or whether they are in fact connected to the outside world in a more direct manner. Nothing you see ever really is what it appears to be on the island it seems.

Which leads us to the underwater hatch. Put me in the camp that there is no underwater hatch. It's a clever illusion to simulate underwater. Notice how easy it is for Ben and Juliet to come back and forth from there? Also if the water really was rushing in and they were underwater Jack and Juliet would be dead now, its a trick to make Jack think hes underwater so he wont try to escape again. The same thing with Sawyer, they plant "Chachi" to escape so that Sawyer will see the futility of it and wont try it himself. The Others clearly love the mind games, and if the captives can figure that out they have a fighting chance, otherwise they might as well be pushing a button in a hatch for the next 3 years.

As far as the flashback goes, Jack is pathetic. He drives his wife away then become Mr. Obsessive Stalker dude. Accuses his father of infidelity with her at an AA meeting, and drives him back to drinking which in turn leads to the "accidential" death, and the drinking himself to death in Australia. No wonder Jack questions his own judgement it is clearly bad, and for a hero he is definately severely flawed.

Oh and one last thing, I dont know if I buy the Mr Friendly is gay theory. I got a different feel personally, more of a plantation owner and his slave vibe. He may well be gay, but I think he would have made the same comment to Jack or Sawyer as well, they simply are not his type of person, because he looks at them more like cattle or a subspecies perhaps. All that being said I do think the reason Kate/Sawyer/Jack were selected was because they want them for breeding purposes, and Kate becomes their little baby incubator. Time will tell on that theory, but so far I like the start of the season... is it next week yet?

-ICB

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 What did everyone think?   Das Mole     10-04-06       
   RE: What did everyone think?   ohmyheck     10-04-06     1  
     RE: What did everyone think?   MrBigDog1974     10-05-06     16  
   RE: What did everyone think?   batts     10-04-06     2  
     RE: What did everyone think?   udg     10-05-06     5  
         RE: What did everyone think?   J Slice     10-05-06     6  
   RE: What did everyone think?   rockdog     10-05-06     3  
     Not just you...   udg     10-05-06     4  
   RE: What did everyone think?   zombiebaby     10-05-06     7  
     RE: What did everyone think?   mrc     10-05-06     8  
         RE: What did everyone think?   Ahtumbreez     10-05-06     14  
             RE: What did everyone think?   zombiebaby     10-05-06     15  
                 RE: What did everyone think?   mrc     10-05-06     19  
     RE: What did everyone think?   weltek     10-05-06     18  
         *Spoiler*   mrc     10-05-06     20  
             RE: *Spoiler*   emydi     10-05-06     22  
                 RE: *Spoiler*   dragonflies     10-05-06     28  
     RE: What did everyone think?   AugustGirl     10-05-06     23  
         Ben?   Chez     10-05-06     27  
   RE: What did everyone think?   Rhyn     10-05-06     9  
   Disappointed   Breezy     10-05-06     10  
     RE: Disappointed   emydi     10-05-06     17  
     RE: Disappointed   udg     10-06-06     38  
   RE: What did everyone think?   brvnkrz     10-05-06     11  
     RE: What did everyone think?   Breezy     10-05-06     12  
   RE: I MISSED IT - WAAAAAAA   Maroonclown     10-05-06     13  
   Stephen King   Dunard2     10-05-06     21  
   RE: What did everyone think?   HobbsofMI     10-05-06     24  
     RE: What did everyone think?   Snidget     10-05-06     25  
         RE: What did everyone think?   HobbsofMI     10-05-06     26  
         RE: What did everyone think?   CouchTater     10-08-06     43  
   Kate's location   dragonflies     10-05-06     29  
     RE: Kate's location   Breezy     10-05-06     31  
         RE: Kate's location   dragonflies     10-05-06     34  
   Could there be a connection between   moonbaby     10-05-06     30  
     Juliette   Das Mole     10-05-06     33  
         RE: Juliette   Chez     10-05-06     35  
             That's right!   moonbaby     10-05-06     36  
   Juliette and Ben   trigirl     10-05-06     32  
     Doesn't seem   moonbaby     10-05-06     37  
         RE: Doesn't seem   udg     10-06-06     39  
             RE: Doesn't seem   AugustGirl     10-06-06     40  
             RE: Doesn't seem   MollyTV     10-08-06     45  
   Episode 1 thoughts   idiotcowboy     10-06-06     41  
     RE: Episode 1 thoughts   mrc     10-06-06     42  
     RE: Episode 1 thoughts   trigirl     10-10-06     47  
   Couple of thoughts   realitycoholic     10-08-06     44  
   great as usual (well almost)   shakes the clown     10-09-06     46  
     addicted nonetheless   hunterjax     10-10-06     48  
   Add to the Loved it list   CattyChat     10-10-06     49  
     Stephen King   trigirl     10-10-06     50  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •