The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Wild Rules"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-09-03, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Wild Rules"
Found this one on Zap2it. Since it's so short, I'll just quote the whole thing:

ESPN Gets 'Wild' with Outdoor Block

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - ESPN is planning a "Survivor"-style series in which players compete for a cash prize, but there will be no reward challenges for banana splits or cushy spa days.

"The Wild Rules," which the cable sports giant is targeting for a September premiere, would drop two teams of six people into the wilderness of British Columbia. They would be given only the most rudimentary of supplies -- fish hooks and axes -- and have to gather their own food and water.

The teams, made of up experienced outdoorsmen and -women, then compete in a race that will ultimately award one person $100,000.

"There won't be any prefabricated obstacle courses created by production companies," Dan Bowen, a producer of the show, tells The Hollywood Reporter. "This is a raw nature experience where Mother Nature is the boss."

"The Wild Rules" is scheduled to make its debut Sept. 8 as part of a Monday-night block of outdoor-themed programming.

I have to say that this show sounds promising, a mix of "Survivor" (if that show were actually about surviving rather than gamesmanship) and "The Amazing Race". I like the fact that they're looking for experienced people who can succeed, and not just pretty faces.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 It's coming realitybites 09-01-03 1
 Nobody cares but I like it anyway realitybites 09-09-03 2
   RE: Nobody cares but I like it anyw... AlaskaBear 09-10-03 3
       RE: Nobody cares but I like it anyw... realitybites 09-11-03 6
 RE: The Wild Rules FarmBoy 09-11-03 4
   RE: The Wild Rules realitybites 09-11-03 5
 RE: The Wild Rules FarmBoy 09-16-03 7
   RE: The Wild Rules realitybites 09-16-03 8
       RE: The Wild Rules FarmBoy 09-16-03 9
 RE: The Wild Rules FarmBoy 09-22-03 10
   RE: The Wild Rules realitybites 09-22-03 11
       RE: The Wild Rules FarmBoy 09-23-03 12
           Missed it... realitybites 09-24-03 13
           Finally realitybites 09-30-03 14
               RE: Finally FarmBoy 09-30-03 15
 RE: The Wild Rules FarmBoy 10-06-03 16
   The last two episodes realitybites 10-14-03 17
       RE: The last two episodes FarmBoy 10-16-03 18
 Watched Re-runs! weltek 10-20-03 19
   RE: Watched Re-runs! FarmBoy 10-20-03 20
       New episode last night realitybites 10-21-03 21
           RE: New episode last night FarmBoy 10-21-03 22
               RE: New episode last night FarmBoy 10-28-03 23
                   And Team Forest wins again realitybites 11-04-03 24
 Chuck got booted!! pdragonfly 11-10-03 25
   RE: Chuck got booted!! FarmBoy 11-14-03 26
       RE: Chuck got booted!! pdragonfly 11-14-03 27
           RE: Chuck got booted!! FarmBoy 11-18-03 28
               RE: Final Three pdragonfly 11-18-03 29
                   RE: Final Three FarmBoy 11-21-03 30
                       RE: Final Three pdragonfly 11-21-03 31
                           RE: Final Three realitybites 11-25-03 32
                               RE: Final Three pdragonfly 11-25-03 33
                                   Yep realitybites 11-25-03 34
                                       RE: Yep pdragonfly 11-25-03 35
                                           RE: Yep FarmBoy 11-26-03 36
                                               RE: Yep FarmBoy 12-02-03 37
                                                   I'm here realitybites 12-02-03 38
                                                       RE: I'm here FarmBoy 12-02-03 39
                                                           RE: I'm here pdragonfly 12-02-03 40
                                                               RE: I'm here FarmBoy 12-03-03 41
                                                                   RE: I'm here pdragonfly 12-03-03 42

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

09-01-03, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "It's coming"
Bet you all forgot about this one, huh? ESPN has finally put it on the schedule Mondays at 9 PM, starting next Monday. Perhaps they'll even leave it there for its ENTIRE RUN, unlike SOME OTHER ESPN SHOW THAT GOT JERKED AROUND. Ahem, rant over. That felt good. I'm fine now.

This show looks intriguing, and you can visit their mini-site here.

09-09-03, 04:16 AM (EST)
2. "Nobody cares but I like it anyway"
Considering most of the people in its target audience was either watching Monday Night Football or not watching TV at all, the ratings for "The Wild Rules" figure to be puny.

The very quick episode summary:

Two teams of six form - each with distinct labels (fisher, hunter, guide, weekend warrior, strongman, military man). They're asked to go to three checkpoints using vague directions, then use a rickety raft to cross over to where they set up camp. The strongman for the red team suffered mightily throughout the hike and the medic declared him out of the race on the first night. The strongman for the yellow team didn't do much better; blisters did him in on the second day. On this 2nd day, the teams hava a mini-race that determines who will make it to the finals. Again, they get to hike to three checkpoints using vague directions. The yellow team took a quick lead but missed their 2nd checkpoint. The red team had to take a medical time out to remove their strongman, then slipped a little further behind. The yellow team arrived first but had to take a 1 hour penalty. The red team straggled home nearly 2 hours later, but because of the penalties, they are only about an hour behind. At the end of the show they build another raft and head for camp again.

I have to say this show is exactly what I thought and hoped it would be. It doesn't have the manic pace of TAR or the silly scheming of Survivor and the host is pretty useless, but the people seem genuine enough and the game seems very tough.

AlaskaBear 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-10-03, 04:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AlaskaBear Click to send private message to AlaskaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Nobody cares but I like it anyway"
I have to agree with you...I like it too. Is the Leo McSweeney on The Wild Rules the same one who was the DI on "Boot Camp"? The name is the same and they look alot alike...
I figured the strongmen would have problems. I'm a big guy myself..6'6, 300lbs. I do quite a bit of hiking and backpacking, so I know what they were going through. It took me several trips in the wilderness to get used to trekking properly. Plus Joe(?) was dressed completely wrong for the expedition. I'll try to keep up with this one to the end.

09-11-03, 06:34 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Nobody cares but I like it anyway"
>Is the Leo McSweeney on The Wild Rules the same one who was the
>DI on "Boot Camp"? The name is the same and they look alot
>alike...

I think they're the same person, though I didn't follow "Boot Camp".

>I figured the strongmen would have problems.

Obviously having a strongman was a good idea in theory, because there would be a lot of heavy lifting needed out in the woods and they could be helpful for that. But their weight caused them serious troubles unless they were like you and prepared for it. Perhaps on The Wild Rules II they'll adjust for this somehow. Yeah right, like there will be another one.

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-11-03, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Wild Rules"
Is this still airing?

Sounds good.

An Original Draco Masterpiece

It's hot out here in the sun.

09-11-03, 06:28 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The Wild Rules"
>Is this still airing?

Sure. It just started. The regular airing is Mondays at 9 on ESPN. There are reruns scattered throughout the week, probably on ESPN2; check your listings.

09-16-03, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Wild Rules"
I watched ep. 2 & 3 (I think) last night. This show is pretty good. I wish they would expand it to an hour, though. I would also like better visuals on the "Travel Time" route. It looks like they just follow the river.

Do they return to the same base camp every night?

It looks like "Island" is going to expel someone next week. Any ideas?

Bovinated- An Original Draco Masterpiece

09-16-03, 12:55 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The Wild Rules"
I thought that each episode would be an hour long, but apparently they're just 1/2 hour. That would mean I watched episodes 1 & 2 last week, and ep 3 last night. I think it's a bad idea; the show felt compressed with all its action in just half an hour.

I think camp moves each day as they move. No idea who's going next.

09-16-03, 01:10 PM (EST)
9. "RE: The Wild Rules"
I wish I knew more about the area where they are at.

Looks like we are the only people watching.

09-22-03, 02:22 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The Wild Rules"

bump-

Anybody going to watch this tonight? they have to complete the "Strongman" challenge, and neither team has a strongman left.

09-22-03, 03:01 PM (EST)
11. "RE: The Wild Rules"
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll watch. Somehow I think they'll manage. How they do so is part of the fun.

09-23-03, 12:15 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The Wild Rules"
Did anyone watch?

I wonder if the Forest team realized that Nancy would share information with the Island team once they sent her over? I don't see how Island can catch up or make use of the info though.

I thought they would expel Josh or Charlie.

09-24-03, 02:08 AM (EST)
13. "Missed it..."
...but I'm sure I'll eventually catch it.

09-30-03, 10:40 AM (EST)
14. "Finally"
I finally got to watch last week's episode last night, along with this week's.

I thought the Forest Team saddling Island with Nancy was a tactical error. If they didn't think she was pulling her weight they should have just expelled her. I think she'll eventually help her new teammates more than she hurts them.

Forest got it right this week by eliminating Josh. But they've got some problems. Island, despite their chaos, has been nibbling at their travel time lead. And Chuck seems to be dominant, so if they lose him, who knows what will happen. They'd better not lose a clash, that's all I'm saying.

09-30-03, 04:30 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Finally"
I watched it too. Looks like we're still the only ones watching though.

I thought Chuck did a good job with finding the avalance beacons.

The promo's for next week made it look like Forest may throw a challenge or intentionally expel Chuck because he is getting on their nerves.

If Island wins, I am sure they will look to Nancy for who to expel.

Any one know how many episodes are left before the final?

10-06-03, 04:21 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The Wild Rules"
Come on!!!!!! Somebody watch!!!!!

10-14-03, 04:55 PM (EST)
17. "The last two episodes"
Last week - can't believe Team Forest almost lost the clash. That would have been troubling for them, to say the least. Forest's move to swap their weekend warrior for Island's fisherman was good, I suppose. Though one never can tell when those secrets will come back to haunt them.

This week - recap episode. I HATE recap episodes.

10-16-03, 08:47 AM (EST)
18. "RE: The last two episodes"
Same here- friggin' recap crap!!! I waited around for Monday's "new" episode and it didn't even happen!!

I liked the clash. Chuck can't throw a knife- hee hee hee.
Island was so close; I wish they had won.

Hopefully next week will be a new episode, even if we are the only two people in North America watching this show.

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-20-03, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Watched Re-runs!"
I caught two episodes this weekend by accident! Loved it! I love Leo McSweeney. He makes me laugh. I'm pulling for Forest team. I think they really deserve it. Although props to Island for surviving a rock slide. ouch.

10-20-03, 03:30 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Watched Re-runs!"
Yipee!!!

Hello Weltek!

Glad there's 3 of us now! Hopefully there will be a new episode tonight.

10-21-03, 09:30 AM (EST)
21. "New episode last night"
Was anyone else made uncomfortable by having the guys pick up animal droppings?

Island lost a lot of travel time. I'm not sure why. They were looking a little ragged, for obvious reasons. But good for them that they ended up in a tie in the clash.

10-21-03, 11:45 AM (EST)
22. "RE: New episode last night"
Help!! I missed it and I don't have ESPN2.

What happened? I hope they re-run this one @ 9:00 next week.

Tied the clash? No vote?

10-28-03, 01:02 PM (EST)
23. "RE: New episode last night"

OK- I caught the re-run. A tie is just a tie- nothing happens. That's right- nothing. Now why should I even watch anymore?

Caught the new episode too- Forest Team is getting on my nerves just trading people back and forth. I wish Island team had won the clash.

11-04-03, 03:47 PM (EST)
24. "And Team Forest wins again"
Caught the last two episodes last night. Nobody much cares for Chuck, but Team Island is so screwed up they can't force him out, and the Foresters won't stand up to him. He'd be the favorite to walk away with the 100 grand, but something has to give.

pdragonfly 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-10-03, 10:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdragonfly Click to send private message to pdragonfly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "Chuck got booted!!"
Finally!!!

Too bad that no one is watching this. Its a nice change while I'm waiting for the next episode of survivor.

No village to loot, no foot challenges, no bs teasers and vidcaps. Just challenges against the wild. I really like it.

One team has lost ALL the challenges so far. LOL and there's no MB to switch things around. Sweet.

11-14-03, 09:17 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Chuck got booted!!"
HI pdragonfly!!!

I am still watching!. I loved it when Chuck's own team voted him out. His reaction was hilarious. He stomped around just like an angry bully on the playground and wouldn't leave.

It definetly made poor little Island team's day. You could tell they just wanted to cheer when they heard the votes. I loved their 'rap' at the end.

I also like that they don't show a lot of "drama". It's all challenges. I do wish they would give better info on the travel time segments. They get kind of boring because you can't tell much of where they are headed. The last two were good- straight uphill and around the lake. I thought Chuck would swim across. Wasn't it cool when he lost the compass!!

11-14-03, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdragonfly Click to send private message to pdragonfly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Chuck got booted!!"
Yeah, another person is watching this show!

What amazed me is that Chuck still found the objects w/o the compass. It will be interesting to see what happens now with Forest. Will they lose the 3 hrs they gained? Wll they win the Clash and take the Island member who has the compass (think its John)?

Now its getting interesting. Too bad for Chuck, he was the best player, but he never watched any of the reality shows, like Survivor or BB or else he'd know: "its relationships stupd."

The next show may not be easy to call. Can't wait.

11-18-03, 08:55 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Chuck got booted!!"
We have our final 3!!!

Do you know if next week is a two part episode or not?

11-18-03, 09:31 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Final Three"
LOL - I really enjoyed this episode. Even w/o a compass the team won. Loved the look on the expressions of our favorite losers when they won the last challenge. We won, how is that possible? Wonder why they couldn't know the details.

It didn't say that there is a two part finale next week, so I don't know. I start watching at 9am anyway.

11-21-03, 11:18 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Final Three"
Bobby came over and told them after he was swapped.

Who do you think will win?

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece Charter Member of the Tennessee 1000 Alliance

11-21-03, 05:40 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Final Three"
I'd like to say any body's game, but I don't know what the challenges are so I don't know who has the best chance.

Interestingly enough, I'm ok with whoever wins.

Now with Survivor that's another matter.

11-25-03, 09:55 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Final Three"
Finally got a chance to see last week's episode, and then I followed it up with the "new" episode.

I can't believe they did another recap episode. I HATE RECAP EPISODES!!!

11-25-03, 06:16 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Final Three"
Does that mean I didn't miss the last show? Its still on? Please tell me its so.

11-25-03, 06:40 PM (EST)
34. "Yep"
It's still on. I'm sure the episode that aired this Monday will be airing on ESPN2 sometime in the next week (worthless, IMO, unless you desperately want to get to know the final three a little better).

The true finale should be on next week.

11-25-03, 08:40 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Yep"
Thanks so much. I feel much better now. I'll watch it early next week to get the update too. Yeah I would like to get to know the final three, since they really highlighted Chuck and the women. IMHO
Thanks, have a good Holiday!

11-26-03, 10:18 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Yep"
whew!

I thought I'd missed it. I'd love it if "Brother John" manages to stumble by the real guys and win.

LOL- that would make Chuck have a stroke!

Charter Member of the Tennessee 1000 Alliance

12-02-03, 11:52 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Yep"
Hello? Any one there?

Stephen won! (There wasn't any one there either when he crossed the finish line.- what a bummer!)

12-02-03, 01:12 PM (EST)
38. "I'm here"
Stephen did indeed win. But the interesting part is that John beat out Leo for second.

Now we wait and hope to see if there will be another season.

12-02-03, 03:23 PM (EST)
39. "RE: I'm here"
Yep. Leo made a couple of dumb mistakes that cost him the game.
I think Jon got lucky.

12-02-03, 05:28 PM (EST)
40. "RE: I'm here"
What a lackluster finish. I thought all of them would be there at the finish line to greet Stephen. Not even his family.

I'm glad he won. He fed the team and I like that he was playing dumb, shows that at least someone had a strategy going.

It would have been nice if one of the women decided to go instead of John.

I did like that Stephen wasn't a sheep and actually stopped to check the headings, knowing Leo had problems in the past. Again, someone was paying attention.

Anyone know what the prizes are for the 2nd and 3rd place winners?

12-03-03, 01:33 PM (EST)
41. "RE: I'm here"
HI pdragonfly!

I like how the show didn't reveal that S. was playing dumb until the last two episodes! That was cool.

I was also disappointed that no one was there to greeet them!

12-03-03, 09:33 PM (EST)
42. "RE: I'm here"
Its amazing how little attention this show has gotten. Too bad because it really does bring in a lot of great elements, including the option to swap or vote off members. Maybe our friend MB will pick up some pointers and we'll see them in a future Survivor.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •