The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Role Of The Provider"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

ruppiefan 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-24-04, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ruppiefan Click to send private message to ruppiefan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Role Of The Provider"
The Provider is a strategy that alot of players have taken on. At the risk of starting a thread and daring to be a newbie this season < we seem to be multiplying like brown roaches > I think it's a topic worthy of it's own thread. Perhaps a few others may feel it has spoiler value, Feel free to flame. The subject has been featured in every episope. Being a recap week... I'll play along. {episode 1} :: No actually fishing yet still struggling for fire and water, but Alicia had a good quote "THE FIRST TEAM TO GET FIRE AND WATER WILL GO THE FARTHEST" {episode 2}:: Ruppert says "I AM ALWAYS GOING TO FEEL THE ODD MAN OUT, BUT I GOT A FISH, I POKED HIM WITH A STICK." we all know this is how ruppie measures his value. {episode 3}:: This was the big SHARK ATTACK. Richard really played up the provider role here. While Ethan and Rupert had a little bit of competition already. Ruppie says "I LIKE BEING THE FISHERMAN, I KNOW HE WANTS TO BE TOO, BUT IT CAN'T BE A COMPETITION BETWEEN US". {episode 4} :: Richard catches the big eels. Rupert earns forgiveness by rebuilding the shelter and providing a feast. Lex is shown plotting to cast off Richard "ONCE WE HAVE RICE, WE WONT NEED TO RELY ON RICHARD FOR FISH". {episode 5}:: Mogo wins the spear and hooks. Ethan spears a small fish and is scared to show it to Richard "I WAS SCARED, I DIDN'T WANT TO STEP ON HIS TOES". Kathy couldn't be happier about all the fish, "THE BOYS ARE TRYING TO ONE UP EACH OTHER". {episode 6}:: ShiAnn is shown whining about missing Richard or at least his fish. but then, Lex says and proves that he is "AN ACCOMPLISHED FISHERMAN"." He also adds " I DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE A COMPETITION" & "I'VE GOT THE FAVOR OF THE GIRLS, IF I CAN SHOW THEM I CAN CATCH FISH. NO REASON TO KEEP THE OTHER GUYS".. that part of his strategy worked, he is the only guy left at MM. Rupert is shown making a spear and talking about his new Chappy team, "THE ROLE OF THE PROVIDER IS WIDE OPEN". Boston Rob has his own opinions on this "RUPERT'S CATCHING FISH, I'M HAPPY, HE CAN CONTINUE TO FEED ME UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR HIM TO GO" {episode 7}:: Tom says "IF I CAN CATCH A FISH, I CAN BEAT RUPERT" it wasn't meant to be "I HAD 4 POLES, I NEVER CAUGHT A FISH, RUPERT GOT MORE FISH WITH A STICK THEN I GOT ON A THREE MILLION DOLLAR BOAT." {episode 8}::The Chappys win the ALL MIGHTY SPEAR. We were shown the huge competition between Rob and Rupert. MM is not only short on rice but their spear is taken away. Lex hasn't actually caught a fish with a stick yet nor has he been shown trying to use the hooks. IMHO, if this tribal switch plays out, the role of provider could become a huge issue, ok enough said, send in the clown.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 word of advice shakes the clown 03-24-04 1
 *snort* CantStandToLook 03-24-04 2
 Reformatted version Brownroach 03-24-04 3
   RE: Reformatted version shakes the clown 03-24-04 4
       Exactly! udg 03-24-04 5
           RE: Exactly! nailbone 03-24-04 6
               RE: Exactly! JohnMc 03-31-04 18
       RE: Reformatted version Brownroach 03-24-04 7
           RE: Reformatted version nailbone 03-24-04 8
       Listen to the clown! memacmur 03-24-04 10
           RE: Listen to the clown! Brownroach 03-25-04 11
               RE: Listen to the clown! Round Robin 03-30-04 16
           RE: Listen to the clown! grit 03-31-04 17
   RE: Reformatted version rosesarefree_lover 03-25-04 12
       RE: Reformatted version CantStandToLook 03-25-04 13
           RE: Reformatted version rosesarefree_lover 03-25-04 14
       RE: Reformatted version ManateeBob 03-25-04 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-24-04, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "word of advice"

> ok enough said,
>send in the clown.

....I'm not going to flame you cause I took one look at your single paragraph mess of a post and decided to skip it altogether...except the last sentence of course.

Word of advice...if you actually want people to read what you write try using a friggen paragraph or two along the way. And no, USING CAPITAL LETTERS EVERY FEW SENTENCES DOES NOT HELP.

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-24-04, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "*snort*"
Isn't the Clown something.

I actually read the post and there were interesting statements in it but why oh why...couldn't you have made it more readable. Shakes is right....a paragraph is your friend.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
"Dook ....still sux"

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Reformatted version"
Ok, Ruppiefan, since you mentioned me in passing I decided to help out and reformat your post for you -- as Shakes and Can'tStandToLook said, it's very hard on these eyes.

---------------------------

The Provider is a strategy that alot of players have taken on. At the risk of starting a thread and daring to be a newbie this season < we seem to be multiplying like brown roaches > I think it's a topic worthy of it's own thread. Perhaps a few others may feel it has spoiler value, Feel free to flame.

The subject has been featured in every episope. Being a recap week... I'll play along.

{episode 1} :: No actually fishing yet still struggling for fire and water, but Alicia had a good quote "THE FIRST TEAM TO GET FIRE AND WATER WILL GO THE FARTHEST"

{episode 2}:: Ruppert says "I AM ALWAYS GOING TO FEEL THE ODD MAN OUT, BUT I GOT A FISH, I POKED HIM WITH A STICK." we all know this is how ruppie measures his value.

{episode 3}:: This was the big SHARK ATTACK. Richard really played up the provider role here.

While Ethan and Rupert had a little bit of competition already. Ruppie says "I LIKE BEING THE FISHERMAN, I KNOW HE WANTS TO BE TOO, BUT IT CAN'T BE A COMPETITION BETWEEN US".

{episode 4} :: Richard catches the big eels. Rupert earns forgiveness by rebuilding the shelter and providing a feast. Lex is shown plotting to cast off Richard "ONCE WE HAVE RICE, WE WONT NEED TO RELY ON RICHARD FOR FISH".

{episode 5}:: Mogo wins the spear and hooks. Ethan spears a small fish and is scared to show it to Richard "I WAS SCARED, I DIDN'T WANT TO STEP ON HIS TOES".

Kathy couldn't be happier about all the fish, "THE BOYS ARE TRYING TO ONE UP EACH OTHER".

{episode 6}:: ShiAnn is shown whining about missing Richard or at least his fish. but then, Lex says and proves that he is "AN ACCOMPLISHED FISHERMAN"."

He also adds " I DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE A COMPETITION" & "I'VE GOT THE FAVOR OF THE GIRLS, IF I CAN SHOW THEM I CAN CATCH FISH. NO REASON TO KEEP THE OTHER GUYS".. that part of his strategy worked, he is the only guy left at MM.

Rupert is shown making a spear and talking about his new Chappy team, "THE ROLE OF THE PROVIDER IS WIDE OPEN".

Boston Rob has his own opinions on this "RUPERT'S CATCHING FISH, I'M HAPPY, HE CAN CONTINUE TO FEED ME UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR HIM TO GO"

{episode 7}:: Tom says "IF I CAN CATCH A FISH, I CAN BEAT RUPERT" it wasn't meant to be "I HAD 4 POLES, I NEVER CAUGHT A FISH, RUPERT GOT MORE FISH WITH A STICK THEN I GOT ON A THREE MILLION DOLLAR BOAT."

{episode 8}::The Chappys win the ALL MIGHTY SPEAR. We were shown the huge competition between Rob and Rupert. MM is not only short on rice but their spear is taken away. Lex hasn't actually caught a fish with a stick yet nor has he been shown trying to use the hooks.

IMHO, if this tribal switch plays out, the role of provider could become a huge issue, ok enough said, send in the clown.

------------------------

Looks better now? That'll be $5.00.

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Reformatted version"
Okay Brownroach, I read it, now can you go back and reformat it one more time, this time inserting a point to the whole thing.

Forget it, I'll try on my own...

The point of the post is that if you catch fish you are safe in the game, unless you are Richard.

In all seriousness though, the role of provider has always been one of the dumber strategies in Survivor. First of all, provider usually requires a lot of solitary time while doing the providing...this always cuts into bonding and alliance making time back at camp. Just ask Kel from S2.

Secondly, when push comes to shove, no one is hungry enough to lower their odds at a million dollars in exchange for a few more bites of fish. A provider may be able to delay his/her boot, but a provider is NEVER able to avoid the boot simply by asserting his/her provider status.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Exactly!"
Additionally, Rupert seems to believe that "playing the provider" means he doesn't have to play the Game of Survivor! Dique provided in S1, but he also Played the Game. Providing didn't win S1 for Dique. Rather, it was part of the big picture in his scheming and planning.

---
UDG

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Exactly!"

Providing didn't win for Rupert in S7 either. You'd think he'd learn.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-31-04, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Exactly!"
btw, Mateo in S6: Amazon tried to be provider also. While he was a challenge threat, he managed to squeak by to F2. He didn't win because even though he was a provider for most of the game (along with Butch, who he got his only vote from), he didn't really court any jury votes. Jenna had played the social game from the beginning, and even managed to get Christy's vote.

Point being: You can be provider, and it will get you to the merge. But once you are there, you have to play the game. And you have to have played the game all along, not just from the merge.

03-24-04, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Reformatted version"
now can you go back and reformat it one more time, this time inserting a point to the whole thing.

That service costs another $20.00.

You're right, of course -- if anything the post illustrates that "being the provider" is just not a viable game strategy (when will contestants learn this)? Richard is gone (though I'm sure that wasn't his sole strategy). Ethan, who made a feeble attempt at it, is gone. Rupert's stock has dipped because he's not necessarily needed for that. If he lasts it will be because he's in an alliance that requires his vote. Same with Lex.

So yes, as an identity for early in the game, it *can* be helpful, but you've got to have something else going on besides that. By the middle of the game, "being the provider" always becomes irrelevant.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-24-04, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Reformatted version"
Especially in a tribe like Chapera that wins a couple of "eating" rewards.

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

memacmur 359 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-24-04, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail memacmur Click to send private message to memacmur Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Listen to the clown!"
Shakes is right.

With the exception of the great Dicque, no Survivor winner has been a player that put themselves in the role of provider. Hard worker yes, but provider no.

None. Heck, you can type that in capital letters and place it all in one paragraph.

NONE.

Kudos to Lex for realizing that and letting everyone else fish on his tribe while he built alliances.

MEmacmur

03-25-04, 12:31 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Listen to the clown!"
One last thought:

Also in Dicque's favor was that, while being the provider, he was not simultaneously perceived as a challenge threat. It seems that often the provider types are also seen as challenge threats and end up getting voted out for that reason.

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-30-04, 11:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Listen to the clown!"
The provider strategy is an excellent strategy to get you to the merge, but the reason it doesn't get you the win unless you've got game is that by the time the merge takes place, the game is already half over, or in this case several days past halfway. At that point, players start thinking that they can put up with a couple weeks of hunger easier than they can put up with somebody they don't like or who might beat them. Then they start thinking with their wallet rather than their stomach and the provider strategy loses its stroke. So a provider strategy is a good one to use to get you on the jury, but to be one of the two facing that jury you have to play the politics also.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-31-04, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Listen to the clown!"
You gotta give a newbie like ruppiefan some credit, though, for going out on a limb and floating his ideas. You people are a tough crowd! I get a headache just trying to sort through all your posts analyzing vidcaps, TV commercials, spoilers, and info on the CBS webpage. It gets to the point that I'm not sure what I'll see when the show finally airs on TV each week!

rosesarefree_lover 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-25-04, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rosesarefree_lover Click to send private message to rosesarefree_lover Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Reformatted version"
When I watched the recrap, something that jumped out at me was (I believe) that Jenna L was the one who said that said "Let's give everyone fire" at the second episode reward challenge.

Now, there may have been more than one person that said this, but I'm pretty sure they only showed Jenna saying it in the recrap.

It got me thinking about this post, and the rumor I've heard about the possible winner...

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-04, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Reformatted version"
Interesting...I thought I heard Rupert say everyone gets it.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
"Dook ....still sux"

rosesarefree_lover 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-25-04, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rosesarefree_lover Click to send private message to rosesarefree_lover Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Reformatted version"
I'll have to check my tape at home, but I know she was at least one of the ones to say it.

Sorry if I'm incorrect in thinking she was the only one...

ManateeBob 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-25-04, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ManateeBob Click to send private message to ManateeBob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Reformatted version"
I noticed that also, especially in light of how accomodating she was to the MMs when she came to pillage their stuff. I dont know to what extent that was or wasnt authorized by the rest of the Chappies.

Also remember that at the Sue quit-boat episode she chimed in that the tribes should share the reward and mend fences even though that idea got smacked down by the rest of them ultimately.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •