The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"My Theory Holds!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Average Joe Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Big Slick 85 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-06-04, 03:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Big%20Slick Click to send private message to Big%20Slick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"My Theory Holds!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-04 AT 03:43 AM (EST)

First, let me say this. Good job Adam. You went with your instincts, and I can't fault you for that. I for one, am not disappointed in you. Why? Because your human.

Everyone on this board, and including yourself, had this very naive idea that a person, when given a choice between someone who is by relative definitions "attractive" versus someone who is not as "attractive", but by some obscure definition "a more genuine person", the person doing the chosing would pick the latter.

First of all, these two categories are not mutually exclusive. Meaning, an "attractive" person will posses some qualities that are "genuine", and a "geniune" person will have qualities that are "attractive". But I haven't revealed anything that most adults don't already know. I believe this crossover causes a person to chose a mate they find more "attractive" in the hopes that the more "attractive" person will continue to develop qualities he or she considers more "genuine".

Second, social desireability forces us say that we are in favor of substance over appearances. Yet when the moment arrives for US to make a choice between the two, we generally chose appearances. In reality, very rarely are we put in situations where we are confronted with this choice. Relationships normally occur in succession, not simultaneously. And unless the person who is "attractive" happens to be a total jerk, we'll tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for a time. This is a natural occurrence in any relationship. But when juxtaposed with a relationship in which the other person isn't as "attractive", the decision may seem cruel or unbeleiveable.

Finally, as the saying in coaching circles goes, "you can't teach height or speed," neither can you teach passion. It is more realistic to presume that we can help a person we find physically desireable to become a better person on the inside, than we can help a person we find to be a great human being be more physically attractive on the outside. What we see is basically what we're gonna get.

We must be careful not be hypocritcal in our indictment of Adam. His decision making process and ultimately his final choice was not unnatural, in fact just the opposite. It was a decision that, if given the opportunity, the majority of us would've made. Yet nearly unanimously, all of us are pointing our fingers at him and saying, "That's the bad guy!"

$lick

"Why don't you try pointing that high-powered microscope at yourself and tell me what you see, or maybe you're afraid to?" - Clarice Starling

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 My Theory Holds!   Big Slick     04-06-04       
   RE: My Theory Holds!   OfficerDave     04-06-04     1  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   Robotext     04-06-04     2  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   Suess     04-06-04     3  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   Chrissy gal     04-06-04     4  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   Handola     04-06-04     5  
         RE: My Theory Holds!   socalcandlegal     04-06-04     7  
             RE: My Theory Holds!   Handola     04-06-04     10  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   Oscirus     04-06-04     6  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   Handola     04-06-04     8  
         RE: My Theory Holds!   Oscirus     04-06-04     9  
             RE: My Theory Holds!   Handola     04-06-04     12  
         RE: My Theory Holds!   Big Slick     04-07-04     18  
             RE: My Theory Holds!   DRONES     04-07-04     19  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   sweetpea2     04-06-04     11  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   Suess     04-06-04     13  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   IslandFever     04-06-04     14  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   PC452     04-06-04     16  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   iMark     04-06-04     15  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   hugodrax     04-06-04     17  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   Zeus     04-07-04     20  
   RE: My Theory Holds!   joannie     04-07-04     21  
     RE: My Theory Holds!   Big Slick     04-07-04     22  
         RE: My Theory Holds!   escapedude     04-08-04     23  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •