The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What is the Sit Out Rule?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-16-04, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What is the Sit Out Rule?"
This has been discussed elsewhere, but I thought it might be useful to get it out in the open so that we can get this resolved once and for all, and refer people to this thread when the question comes up again in the future...

The rule, as I understand it, is that a contestant may not sit out two consecutive challenges occuring in a 3 day boot cycle. After a TC, the slate is wiped clean and the counter starts over...

There seems to be confusion about the definition of "consecutive challenges". Some believe the rule applies across episodes, and to challenges occuring on either side of a TC.

I don't have any proof to support either position, but I remember this issue being discussed during previous seasons of Survivor. I recall that the same person did sit out an IC in one episode and then the RC in the following episode...

I'm hoping we can resolve this and that those who have first hand knowledge or examples will step forward and clarify this for us...

Krautboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? KObrien_fan 02-16-04 1
 RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? tribephyl 02-16-04 2
   RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? KLicK 02-16-04 3
   RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? Krautboy 02-16-04 4
       RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? abbahammer 02-16-04 5
           RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? Krautboy 02-16-04 6
               RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? tribephyl 02-17-04 7
               RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? Flowerpower 02-23-04 12
 RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? dabo 02-17-04 8
 RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? katethegreat 02-18-04 9
   RE: What is the Sit Out Rule? Brownroach 02-19-04 10
 Shii Ann sits out RC in EP5? Krautboy 02-23-04 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-16-04, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
The way Jeff says it, he says "Remember you can not sit out back to back challenges" They are out there for up to 39 days and they don't play as if the game were episodes on TV. So to the survivors when they hear the rule "back to back" challenges, it means RC IC RC IC RC IC regardless of the TV episode cycle may be. This is my opinion based on watching the show and never have I heard anything that says it restarts after each tribal council.

I will do some digging to see if I can find proof one way or the other.

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

02-16-04, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
The rule, as I understand it, is that a contestant may not sit out two consecutive challenges occuring in a 3 day boot cycle. After a TC, the slate is wiped clean and the counter starts over...

You understand correctly.

For example in S4, after the tribes were mixed up, Rotu had 8 members and Maraamu had 5. The following immunity challenge was was the "Life's a tapestry" challenge.
John, RobM and Sean were sit-outs for this game. Regardless, Maraamu lost and Sarah was booted.
The next challenge was the "Tiki Towers" challenge (for RC). This was the original blindfold challenge, Rotu decided to use only Robert, John, Tammy and Gabe for the challenge. Meaning that RobM and Sean sat out again (along with Vee and Zoe).

So it is fair to assess that "no person can sit-out in back-to-back challenges", unless we are in the next 3day cycle.

Answered?

But you can call me tribe. S7ABCABP Winner

KLicK 316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-16-04, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KLicK Click to send private message to KLicK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
I was just coming in with the same example.

I wish JP would word it differently, "If you sit out the RC, you cannot sit out the IC."

02-16-04, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
Thanks Tribe! That's the example I was hoping someone would remember!

Krautboy

abbahammer 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

02-16-04, 10:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail abbahammer Click to send private message to abbahammer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
How this affect the fact then that Jenna left and no one sat out?
Do we go back to the previous challenge? Or is it gone now?

I think I am more confused now.

What do you expect from a dog....

Abbahammer

02-16-04, 11:06 PM (EST)
6. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
The cycle should "reset" after each boot. Since Jenna left the game, the tribes should be able to sit out anyone for the RC...

Krautboy

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-04, 02:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-04 AT 02:45 AM (EST)

Absolutely correct.

Come to think of it.
JP has never said, "the same person can not sit out back to back challenges" before an IC.
I guess, that's just something we didn't really pick up on.

But you can call me tribe. S7ABCABP Winner

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-04, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
For example....Sue sat out for the reward building the shelter challenge, then Jenna left, and Sue again sat out for the next reward, remember the items in the other tribemates boxes to match challenge. It was a new 3 day cycle.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-04, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
The sit-out rule is whatever Jiffy determines it to be. My own personal opinion is that he isn't very stickler about it because the whole situation might change in the next episode, but that's no reason to give the yo-yo contestants a forewarning.

In any event, it does not seem to carry over from one episode to the next. But the cancelled IC in ep 3 would probably count as a reset regardless, since it has to be presumed that the sit-outs in RC3 would have performed in that challenge.

katethegreat 207 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-18-04, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katethegreat Click to send private message to katethegreat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
Thanks so much for this thread, because many people seem to assume that if you sit out in an IC, you can't sit out the next RC. But I don't thinbk they have ever enforced that (thanks for the example!). In the IC challenge thread, many are making so much out of who's sitting out (Amber), so it "can't" be the RC, since she sat out the RC last week (the last challenge . . . ) Anyway, I do think the cube is the IC, but not BECAUSE Amber is sitting out. The only thing that the IC sit-outs tell us is who DOESN'T sit out the RC in that same week. Jeff is misleading in his wording, or maybe they just enforce this rule when they feel like it. But the average viewer doesn't remeber who sat out the IC last week; they probably don't remember from RC to IC in an episode!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-04, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What is the Sit Out Rule?"
I'm too lazy to go searching for another example , but in fact, the example tribephyl cited is the *only* time I remember people sitting out back-to-back challenges. Can anyone recall another instance of someone sitting out IC and then the following RC?

I always suspected they were lax on that one occasion only because Rotu outnumbered Maraamu so badly. I think the rule is *supposed* to mean no back-to-back sit-outs, period. But as Dabo says, it's *really* whatever Jiffy wants it to mean at any given time.

02-23-04, 02:43 PM (EST)
11. "Shii Ann sits out RC in EP5?"
If Shii Ann sits out the RC in EP5, as speculated based on Vidcaps, after sitting out the IC in EP4, it would finally put this issue to rest...

Krautboy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •