The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Be forewarned, spoilers..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-18-04, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Be forewarned, spoilers..."
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-04 AT 03:55 PM (EST) by SurvivorBlows (admin)

Are we in for some surprises this season or is Jiffy just bluffing to create some anxiety for us spoilers?

"Will Survivor survive the Internet?"

Reality show's host fears for future of similar TV fare
By STEVE TILLEY
Edmonton Sun

Just as video killed the radio star, the Internet could ultimately drive a stake through the heart of reality TV.

So says Survivor host Jeff Probst, who will once again be overseeing challenges, doling out rewards and conducting Tribal Councils in Survivor: All-Stars, the eighth instalment in the reality TV series that started it all. It debuts Feb. 1 on CBS and Global immediately following the Super Bowl XXXVII broadcast.

Each successive season of Survivor has seen more and more information leaked out ahead of time, often through so-called spoiler websites on the Net. It culminated with an off-shore betting scandal that revealed Sandra Diaz-Twine would wind up the winner of Survivor: Pearl Islands before the show had even begun airing.

"The Internet and the accessibility to information has made it very difficult to do shows like Survivor," Probst told the Sun yesterday in a phone interview from his home in Los Angeles. "And it wouldn't surprise me if ultimately it led to the demise of our show at some point."

With each series filmed a few months before it goes to air, keeping a lid on twists, vote results and other secrets is proving nigh-on impossible. And it's not the contestants themselves who are doing the blabbing.

"Sooner or later you cannot combat people who betray you," Probst said. "We have a crew of 400 people, and everybody tells somebody something. I definitely believe that.

"Once you spread information like that and there's money to be made or fame to be had - 'Hey I know something you don't know, listen to this' - all we can do, honestly, is counter it with our own misinformation."

Survivor: All-Stars will see the return of 18 past contestants, including memorable characters like the original Survivor's Richard Hatch and crusty former navy SEAL Rudy Boesch, and Survivor: Pearl Islands would-be Blackbeard, Rupert Boneham.

Some All-Stars spoilers have already bubbled to the surface, suggesting that the past $1-million winners don't fare all that well, that Rupert does not emerge as the ultimate victor and that Survivor: The Amazon winner Jenna Morasca leaves the show early, due to the death of her mother.

Then again, maybe some of those tidbits have just been released into the wild by CBS's own counter-intelligence squad. Gamblers, be warned.

Said Probst: "Better make sure if you're betting, that what you're reading is right."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 bunch of hooey cqvenus 01-18-04 1
 RE: Be forewarned, spoilers... Swami 01-18-04 2
   RE: Be forewarned, spoilers... ginger 01-21-04 3
 RE: Be forewarned, spoilers... udg 01-21-04 4
 RE: Be forewarned, spoilers... Brad Lascelle 01-23-04 5
   ChillOne's site is still up idiotcowboy 01-23-04 6
       Snewser is back up, too. udg 01-24-04 8
   RE: Be forewarned, spoilers... KLicK 01-24-04 7
 AP Article, 1-27 Milan23 01-28-04 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-04, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "bunch of hooey"
first they say the internet is always wrong, now they say it's going to ruin survivor. how can the few tens of thousands of people that read these boards ruin the show, especially when MB denies these people have any valid info, anyway?

~ cq

-- thinks they're trying to scare us and mislead with misinformation about misleading misinformation so we will scrutinize everything and turn on each other. like that's gonna happen.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-04, 11:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Be forewarned, spoilers..."
Well, it's nice to see Jiffie admit they put out disinformation, like we didn't already know that!

I love you Richard, but don't unpack.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-04, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Be forewarned, spoilers..."
My highest regards for MB pertain to his disinformation. I thought the Gervase Gretchen thing was pretty brill. They could up the spoilage stakes and put some real thought and effort into further internet Tokyo Rosary - and the on-tv game need not change an iota, while our game would be enhanced.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-21-04, 04:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Be forewarned, spoilers..."
Are we in for some surprises this season or is Jiffy just bluffing to create some anxiety for us spoilers?

>Then again, maybe some of those
>tidbits have just been released
>into the wild by CBS's
>own counter-intelligence squad. Gamblers, be
>warned

Could he be talking about E-Online's Kristin? http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4678&forum=DCForumID2&omm=12 among other things.

---
UDG

Brad Lascelle 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-23-04, 09:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brad%20Lascelle Click to send private message to Brad%20Lascelle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Be forewarned, spoilers..."
Judging by the simultaneous shutdown of several sites and sporadic thread deletions (both jeffvarner.com and survivornews.net are presently FUBAR) in the wake of ChillOne's mainstream spoiler-filled press release, it would appear to me that CBS decided to skip the whole misinformation tactic and resort to some good old-fashioned legal warfare.

It's nice to know that somebody's awake in Moonves country but they only have themselves to blame for letting their plumbing leak out an entire season's worth of boots before the premiere YET AGAIN.

Maybe they'll finally figure out the trick to keeping a tight lid on things for Survivor IX in Fiji. Making an example out of people like Marson {C1} and Snewser's source pipeline would be a good place to start.

== Brad Lascelle <blascelle@gto.net>

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-23-04, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "ChillOne's site is still up"
dontcha think they would have gone after him first? Just curious, as I expect you're jumping to conclusions not based in fact. Anyway no one really seems to have a consistent story past the first boot anyway, except for the fact Rob M looked like hell when he returned home (maybe he drank too much at the looser lodge ).

-ICB

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-24-04, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Snewser is back up, too."
Although, it was down yesterday when I was looking for something.

---
UDG

KLicK 316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-24-04, 07:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KLicK Click to send private message to KLicK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Be forewarned, spoilers..."
I have a vague memory of Jeff Varner pulling statements before. It would have been something regarding S3 - S5.

Does anyone remember what it was and whether or not it was true?

Milan23 127 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-28-04, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Milan23 Click to send private message to Milan23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "AP Article, 1-27"
LAST EDITED ON 01-28-04 AT 05:51 PM (EST)

Interesting bit in an article that's mainly about Jeff Probst http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap01-27-205900.asp?t=apent&vts=12820041034 .

Regarding the winner, Probst insists he doesn't know, ''But I could tell you who won,'' he says with a grin, ''and you wouldn't know if I was telling the truth. I'm so tempted to do that: start dropping clues.''

Also thought this next bit was interesting, although not really spoiler-ish.

''This bunch arrived confident that they had anticipated every twist we were going to come up with.'' Even before the 39-day contest got under way in November, they had put Probst on notice: They would be guarding against his interrogations at the ''tribal councils,'' those torch-lit encounter sessions where players often speak more freely than they should — right before ballots are cast voting one of them off.

''One by one, they e-mailed me or called before we got out there and said, 'I just want to let you know: I'm not gonna give you anything good at tribal council.'

''I went into the game thinking, 'How am I gonna get good stuff out of these guys?' And it turned out I got the best stuff I've ever gotten.''

Probst's counterstrategy: Use their confidence against them or, in his words, ''Just ride the horse in the direction it's going. If these people believe they're running the show, let 'em KEEP thinking it.''

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •