The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Bachelor / The Bachelorette Forum (Protected)
Original message

Princess Emily 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-12-03, 07:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Princess%20Emily Click to send private message to Princess%20Emily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
I just had to write.when I found out Meredith was the next Bachlorette. A lot of people I spoke to told me they would have liked to see Mary be the next Bachlorette. I mean she is pretty and her personality was quite warm. You would think it would have been about time to pick a hispanic right??? and she would have been the perfect hispanic to become the next bachlorette. It kind of makes you wonder WHY has there not been a hispanic or black person next???? I do not in no way mean this to be of racism, but c'mon. When Meredith's grandmother died, she should have left the show and as respect to her grandmother attended the funeral and be with her family at a time of loss; what does this tell you???

And don't you find that on every show when the first 25 girls or guys are being picked, the bachelor or bachlorette always make sure they pick someone black, hispanic and/or asian, but they never make the cut. I have nothing against Meredith, but I as a lot of people I know cannot believe they picked her to become the next Bachlorette. Do not believe I will watch it this time around.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The third rail realitybites 12-12-03 1
   RE: The third rail Princess Emily 12-12-03 2
       RE: The third rail realitybites 12-12-03 3
           RE: The third rail HobbsofMI 12-12-03 4
               RE: The third rail jes_dc 12-12-03 5
               RE: The third rail Princess Emily 12-12-03 8
                   Gwen and Jamie realitybites 12-13-03 10
   RE: The third rail triednottowatch 12-12-03 6
       RE: The third rail teejax22 12-12-03 7
 RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the ... reality_gal 12-12-03 9
 RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the ... ValleyGirl 12-13-03 11
   RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the ... schmoe 12-14-03 12
       RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the ... littlemisssmartypants 12-14-03 13
           RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the ... schmoe 12-14-03 14
               RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the ... Princess Emily 12-14-03 15
                   Was everyone white at that wedding?... ScoobyDoo 12-15-03 16
                       RE: Was everyone white at that wedd... Chrissy gal 12-16-03 17
                       RE: Was everyone white at that wedd... schmoe 12-17-03 19
                           RE: Was everyone white at that wedd... ScoobyDoo 12-18-03 20
 When will there be a hispanic , ind... CyberCooties 12-16-03 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-12-03, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "The third rail"
Welcome to the boards, Princess Emily. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

>A lot of people I spoke to told me they would have liked
>to see Mary be the next Bachlorette. I mean she is pretty and
>her personality was quite warm.

I liked Mary also and would like to have seen her as the bachelorette with one caveat - she would have to have been seen and known by her potential suitors before the show started. Otherwise her eagerness to have children right away would likely turn off a lot of the bachelors, making for a less interesting show.

Mary has one other "problem", besides her race, and the baby thing - her age. She's 35-ish, which isn't a big problem in itself, but probably means that they would have to bring in some guys who are in their late 30s and even into their 40s. They won't be the young and pretty types ABC seems to favor.

So I can understand why she wasn't picked.

>It kind of makes you wonder WHY has there not been a
>hispanic or black person next????

I'm starting to wonder myself. It's not just "The Bachelor/ette" - none of the several imitators have had a minority as the featured person. My guess is we'll see one in '04 or '05 - the possibilities are too much fun to resist.

There are two reasons besides the obvious (haven't found the right person) to not try this:

1) Station boycotts - when the station manager in Backwater, SC, sees previews a black guy making out with several white girls (not at the same time) in the obligatory hot tub, he's going to say, "That ain't right!" and run Andy Griffith reruns instead of poisoning his audience with such liberal views. If there are three or four guys like him scattered across the U.S., the ratings will take a noticeable hit. And no network wants that.

2) Possible imbalances - suppose our black bachelor has jettisoned all the non-black bachelorettes by the second round. Would there be enough of an audience left? People like to watch contestants they can relate to and root for (or against).

>And don't you find that on every show when the first
>25 girls or guys are being picked, the bachelor or
>bachlorette always make sure they pick someone black, hispanic
>and/or asian, but they never make the cut.

Yeah, I've noticed. I think it's tokenism of the worst kind. The producers probably stage manage decisions like this - "you've gotta pick one of them!" Then again, Mary made it to the final three, so maybe our bachelors (at least some of them) are more race-neutral than I think they are.

12-12-03, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Princess%20Emily Click to send private message to Princess%20Emily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The third rail"
Hi, Thank you for the welcome. Yes you are right about all the things you said. Mary missed up when she started talking about babies right away. Big NO NO. The age thing, I did not find to be a thing, because love can be found at any age. I hear that Bob and Estella are no longer together. Well, Bob to me on the show never looked like he would be serious with anyone. He did not look like the type who would want to get married. He just seemed to have cold feet when it came down to it. They should have never picked him. They should have picked someone interested in finding someone with the intentions of getting married. Yes the race thing is also true. I think the bachelor and bachelorate should state up front. I am only interested in Caucasian, black or hispanic, asian, to be specific. If they truly are not interested in black, hispanic, asian, then there should not be any black, hispanic, asians in the 25 selected in the show to be begin with if the bachelor or bachlorette would not have considered marrying or dating outside their race. But I can see they are briefed and told it looks better this way for the audiences, to show no prejudism, but it only took me the second show to 100% sure of what I thought. So, yes, even though I liked Mary, the baby issue scares men. But it still would have been interesting to watch Mary and pick the guy in the end you know. This Meridith thing, well to me is going to seem boring if I watch even the first episode. I did enjoy reading your post!!

12-12-03, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The third rail"
I enjoyed reading your messages and agree with most of them. There was one thing, however, that I don't agree with:

> Mary missed up when she started talking about babies
>right away. Big NO NO.

Well, from the standpoint of costing her a shot at being in the final two, this is probably accurate. However, as a guy, I think it's best to know these things as soon as possible. So I admire her honesty and willingness to put herself on the line like that. And I'm sure there are enough other suitable guys who feel the same way.

>Bob to me on the show never looked like he would be serious
>with anyone. He did not look like the type who would want
>to get married. He just seemed to have cold
>feet when it came down to it. They should have never picked
>him. They should have picked someone interested in finding
>someone with the intentions of getting married.

Bob kept saying no, but ABC kept offering and he finally said yes. Based on reactions here and elsewhere, it probably would have been better for everyone if he had stuck with his initial no.

>I think the bachelor and bachelorate should state up front.
>I am only interested in Caucasian, black or hispanic, asian,
>to be specific. If they truly are not interested in black,
>hispanic, asian, then there should not be any black, hispanic,
>asians in the 25 selected in the show to be begin with if
>the bachelor or bachlorette would not have considered marrying
>or dating outside their race.

I think they do ask that of the bachelors and bachelorettes. But it's one thing to check a box on a form and quite another to hand out roses to someone who could be your husband or wife.

If the pool were split with, say, 7 whites, 6 blacks, 6 Latinas, and 6 Asians, it would indeed make for an interesting show. But that's not very likely to happen.

> This Meridith thing, well to me is going to seem boring if I
>watch even the first episode.

I didn't see much of Meredith, so I can't give much of an opinion on her. I HOPE she's more interesting than people say she is. And I HOPE the bachelor group is just as interesting - or more - than the one they had for the last Bachelorette.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-12-03, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The third rail"
Bob was on the radio here in Detroit and the reason he was saying no was he was dating Gwen at the time. Since he was considering it....Surprise! It was the reason why Gwen broke up with him. So this just shows how dumb Bob is....Gwen was better then any 25 that they could find and it just goes to show how big of a DAW he is.

jes_dc 7 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-03, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jes_dc Click to send private message to jes_dc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The third rail"
Gwen fell for Aaron AND Bob????? Great girl, terrible taste in men....I'm not honestly not sure which one of them she was luckier to get away from. You'd think it would have at least earned her the spot as the next bachelorette - but maybe she didn't want it after ABC convinced her bf to ditch her and film the show...

12-12-03, 06:34 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The third rail"
Yes, Mary was being honest upfront about wanting to have children and you know after looking back at this you could tell of her sincerity and honesty. She looked like the type of woman who would have made a good honest faithful wife and the thing is, Bob was too blind to see this, but again Bob should have not been on the show. You know who I thought was just an awesome guy, was the guy on the beach; the blonde who was shy and asked Trista if he could kiss her; was his name Jaime??? Gosh I cannot remember. I just thought he was so sincere and polite in asking and what is wrong with that. I think he would make a great catch for Mary!!! Was Gwen from the other Bachelor show were Helene ended up winning. Was Gwen the one who had been married before but had her marriage annuled. If so, I thought she was a cutie.

12-13-03, 02:26 AM (EST)
10. "Gwen and Jamie"
HobbsofMI: Thanks for the scoop. Gwen isn't my type, but she seemed nice enough. Perhaps she should find a "real" man and leave these media whores alone.

Princess Emily: Yes, you've identified Jamie and Gwen correctly. Jamie was one of the preseason picks for "The Bachelorette", being tall, blond, handsome, and a professional athlete. And he turned out to be a nice guy too. For whatever reason Trista wasn't much impressed.

triednottowatch 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-12-03, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail triednottowatch Click to send private message to triednottowatch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The third rail"
>Mary has one other "problem", besides
>her race, and the baby
>thing - her age.
>She's 35-ish, which isn't a
>big problem in itself, but
>probably means that they would
>have to bring in some
>guys who are in their
>late 30s and even into
>their 40s. They won't
>be the young and pretty
>types ABC seems to favor.

Why would they have to be in their late 30's or 40's? If she was interested in Bob, obviously, she is not firm on this criteria.

I think Mary would be perfect, because if the right guy is in the group, we know she won't hesitate to accept a marriage proposal. Unlike Bob, who goes through the process and then gives a freakin' "promise ring". He was without a doubt, the most juvenile person to ever appear on the show.

This season with Bob finally allowed me to write the show off. I think it has about run its course. The diminished activity on these boards pretty much reinforces that fact. This season caused a lot of ho hum, and in TV once a show starts to lose its audience, it's tough to get it back.

teejax22 96 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-12-03, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail teejax22 Click to send private message to teejax22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The third rail"
I agree that Mary would have been a good choice and I don't think her age is a problem. She's a beautiful person inside and out and I'm sure there are guys out there who share similar goals of finding love, marraige and having kids. Every time I think about Merideth being the next bachelerate...I just can't see where the interest lies. Her personality is kinda boring...and she looks boring for a make-up artist. lol

I know what I need to do...I need to get a life and leave these reality shows alone. I hate to get so wrapped up into them and set myself up for dissapointment.

reality_gal 62 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-03, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail reality_gal Click to send private message to reality_gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
Mary was my favorite from the last bachelor and i was hoping they would make her the next bachelorette when she didn't make it to final cut with Bob(good thing she didn't) but anyways i thought she was beautiful sexy and intelligent. She has everything going for her.

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-13-03, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
What it boils down to is "Ratings". Unless someone can convince one of the networks that a visible minority can carry one of these shows on their own and get the same level of ratings it ain't going to happen! Sad but true.

Valley Girl
"Oh Bob, tell me again how much you want to ....."

schmoe 69 desperate attention whore postings

12-14-03, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail schmoe Click to send private message to schmoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
I don't think any of last seasons women save Kelly Jo would make great batchlorettes. I'm not sure Mary is interesting enough, she has a one track mind (babies).

Meredith isn't ideal candidate either. I don't think she's attractive enough. I know that sounds horribly shallow, but it is a big deal. I think thats why Bachelor Bob flopped. All these beautiful contestents went crazy over this (at best) average looking guy. The audience just cringed. The same thing will happen in the next Bachlorette. All these hunky guys will fall in love with an average looking girl, and the audience will will wonder why?

I think if they were to have an Asian, Latino, or biracial bachlorette, paired alongside male contestents of every race and color imaginable, you would have a real ratings winner. A white/Asian or a black/Asian couple might not be as controversial as a white/black couple.

Or, if they are too worried about ratings, why not add a second show on a different night? They done it with Law & Order and CSI. You can still have the all white show on Wednesday night to appease ABC, and add a second bathelor(ette) show on a different night with a little more diversity.

littlemisssmartypants 477 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-14-03, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail littlemisssmartypants Click to send private message to littlemisssmartypants Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
Just goes to show you that beauty is somewhat subjective. I thought Meredith was beautiful. Although all the women were good looking, we all have our individual favourites.

Bob was far better looking when he was the funny rejected guy than when he became the ooey gooey smooch-monster. We all know a guy like that....so he made our skin crawl as we remembered the guy in high school who made us feel like princesses, and then made out with all our friends. Thanks for the flashback, Bob!

I always thought it would be funny (in an ironic way)to have a white bachelor and all the contestents be of other ethnic backgrounds. But, I guess ABC might not be so comfy with highlighting the racial tokenism for all to see!

12-14-03, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail schmoe Click to send private message to schmoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
Meredith is attractive, no doubt. In real life I would be lucky to go out with such a girl. She's attractive enough to be a contestent, but not enough to reach the high level standards for being a Bachlorette, at least on my scale.

John

12-14-03, 07:48 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Why wasn't Mary picked for the next Bachlorette?? When will there be a hispanic or black bacholorette?????"
John: There is no question that Meredith is attractive and she probably is a wholesome sweet gal. I did not think Trista either was attractive enough to reach the high standards for being a bachlorette and Bob surely was not. Although, I must admit Trista can handle herself quite well on TV. I think the overall picture for me for a bachlorette is someone who is pretty, but not soo pretty, but someone who has sincerity and a type of charisma that one admires in depth. John I am sure there are a lot of other guys out there who too in real life would be so lucky to go out with Meredith and a lot of girls who would be so lucky in real life to look like her; sweet!

ScoobyDoo 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-15-03, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ScoobyDoo Click to send private message to ScoobyDoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Was everyone white at that wedding? besides the help..."
I'm glad people are bringing up race. It's annoying that nobody ever mentions it on the show, as though it doesn't exist, as though it just always happens that the chooser is white and the few token people of color just happen to usually get kicked off early on. Imagine if Trista had picked that black guy she kicked off pretty early on.....The people at her wedding were SOOOO WHITE-I did not see a drop of color anywhere. Granted, I kept falling asleep due to the ridiculously idealized white suburban Leave it to Beaver gender normative 2.5 very white kids coming very soon monotony of the whole sordid affair. So I might have missed all of Trista's black friends, and all of her family's black friends while I was dozing. Yeah.

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-16-03, 05:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Was everyone white at that wedding? besides the help..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 06:19 AM (EST)

I don't think Trista was attracted to Jack.

12-17-03, 07:59 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Was everyone white at that wedding? besides the help..."
I don't think its fair to criticize Trista for the all white wedding, just like it wouldn't be fair to criticize a black person for having an all black wedding. If you and your future spouse are of the same race, chances are most of the families will be of the same race. Thats probably 80% of the wedding guests.

John

ScoobyDoo 27 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-18-03, 00:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ScoobyDoo Click to send private message to ScoobyDoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Was everyone white at that wedding? besides the help..."
Hey all,
I wasn't criticizing Trista for having an all white wedding as much as I was criticizing the show's general avoidance of race as an issue. Clearly in Trista's all white world, her marrying a black man would have been an issue for somebody, even if it remained upspoken. I'm not saying Trista didn't pick that guy because he's black- I think if he'd been the one for her she would have picked him. But looking at how her wedding turned out, it's unrealistic that race never crossed her mind in making her decision about him, if she truly did consider him as a possible husband. SOMEONE in her family would have atleast reacted with surprise. The illusion that race is no longer an issue in the U.S. exists only through the eyes of white privilege. As soon as a generation wakes up to the fact that racism is wrong, many whites want to ignore the issue of race and of deeply entrenched institutional racism which still exists and will be around for a very long time, due to our nation's history. It's silly for me to expect race to be dealt with realistically on a silly show like this, but the show is still frustrating as yet another another symptom of a general cultural denial.

CyberCooties 162 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-16-03, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CyberCooties Click to send private message to CyberCooties Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "When will there be a hispanic , indian, asian or black bachelor/bachelorette"
They have definitely had some fine looking contestants on these shows. I want it to happen but I don't. There should be enough fair warning out there to normal people to stay away from reality love shows.

Ew! CyberCooties!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •