The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Technicality"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

paranoia 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-13-03, 06:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail paranoia Click to send private message to paranoia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Technicality"
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-03 AT 07:59 AM (EST)

I hesitate to mention this because it looks bad for my favorite, Sandra.

I discovered this technicality after I searched for game rules after I questioned something regarding JP's language at the start of the jury selection process. He said something to the effect that from that point forward all of the players' actions would be considered by the jury. I question whether this means that each juror sees all of the players' actions starting from the time the juror takes a jury seat (through elimination), possibly through closed circuit video or by some other method. These moves would include things such as Jonny Rotten's interaction with his friend about the Big Lie.

I also wonder how much they allow the juror's to interact with each other.

One of Burton's post-elimination interviews (or chats) reveals that the juror's do indeed interact with each other, which would mean that they could discuss incidents that new jurors might not have seen (including the Big Lie).

I couldn't find specific rules about the progression of the game, and CBS only has basic rules at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor7/index.shtml

When I read the rules, I immediately noticed a technicalilty upon which the producers/referees have not acted.

The rules state the following:

"Several actions will result in immediate elimination from the contest and expulsion from the Pearl Islands, as well as forfeiture of any prize. If you were one of the Survivors, you wouldn't want to do any of these things:

Break the law. Even though they are stranded on a remote island in Panama, the Survivors will still be held to U.S. law, as well as local law. Any breach of those laws is against the contest rules.

Act up. Any misconduct is against the rules, including but not limited to stealing or misappropriating food, harming other Survivors or crew members, and acts of violence."

Does anybody else see the implications?

By disposing of the fish after Rupert's elimination, technically Sandra breached the rules. Technically, this act should have eliminated Sandra from the game.

By stealing Morgan's shoes, Rupert also breached the rules. In my opinion, this act had a much larger impact on the progression of the game, to the disadvantage of the members of the Morgan tribe. As I recall, Morgan left their shoes in a public place, and one might argue this technicality in Rupert's defense.

Do the producers of the show just arbitrarily enforce the rules? What do they consider fair play? These rules are probably stated in much clearer language in the players' contracts. Does anyone see the lawsuits coming, especially if Sandra wins?

Could this technicality strip Sandra of the title at the final vote tally?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Technicality PepeLePew13 12-13-03 1
   RE: Technicality paranoia 12-13-03 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-13-03, 09:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Technicality"
>I question whether this means that each juror sees
>all of the players' actions starting from the time the
>juror takes a jury seat (through elimination),
>possibly through closed circuit video or by some
>other method. These moves would include things such as
>Jonny Rotten's interaction with his friend
>about the Big Lie.

I like this idea... except that some jury members have said in their Early Show/chat interviews they only found out about the Big Lie just now.

>I also wonder how much they
>allow the juror's to interact
>with each other.
>
>One of Burton's post-elimination interviews (or
>chats) reveals that the juror's
>do indeed interact with each
>other, which would mean that
>they could discuss incidents that
>new jurors might not have
>seen (including the Big Lie).

Christy told me that they do interact daily in LoserLodge, but they had someone from the production staff sitting there with them at all times to make sure that nothing too revealing is discussed from what happened in the game.

>By disposing of the fish after
>Rupert's elimination, technically Sandra breached
>the rules. Technically, this act
>should have eliminated Sandra from
>the game.

Sandra said she only planned to hide the food and accidentally knocked it over, and she was going to fess up before things got out of control in arguing with Jon and then Burton going overboard in accusing Christa of doing something with the fish.

Technically, Christa could sue Burton for slander with the way he ripped her in front of everyone without foundation. But that's not going to happen, just like Sandra's breach of the rules being interpreted in any way you want to -- she didn't wilfully dump the fish in her words.

>Could this technicality strip Sandra of
>the title at the final vote tally?

Won't happen. Nothing's happening with Stacey Stillman's lawsuit from S1 where MB allegedly encouraged her to vote for someone else to save Rudy from the boot. If she wasn't going to succeed after that or the producers do anything to Colby for his infraction in the caribeener challenge in S2:Australia, then nothing is going to happen with Sandra in this case.

paranoia 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-13-03, 07:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail paranoia Click to send private message to paranoia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Technicality"
LAST EDITED ON 12-13-03 AT 07:38 PM (EST)

"I like this idea... except that some jury members have said in their Early Show/chat interviews they only found out about the Big Lie just now."

I considered this evidence and suggest it might be subterfuge to avoid revealing too much. The contestants have contractual obligations not to give interviews before their eliminations from the game or reveal unreleased details about further progression of the game. Might these obligations extend to lying about certain elements? They have, after all, practiced lying for several weeks.

I question why the jurors would not see all of the evidence from the time of their jury selections. Allowing the evidence could add a few more dynamics to the game. Prohibiting it gives the jurors less evidence to consider for their decisions. They only have their respective prior interactions with the final contestants and what those contestants choose to present to the jury to influence the outcome. I guess this secretive policy allows for the kangaroo court atmosphere of the final phase.

"Christy told me that they do interact daily in LoserLodge, but they had someone from the production staff sitting there with them at all times to make sure that nothing too revealing is discussed from what happened in the game."

This is interesting. I suppose the jurors would then need to wait for the final "hearing" to reveal anything they might know.

"Sandra said she only planned to hide the food and accidentally knocked it over, and she was going to fess up before things got out of control in arguing with Jon and then Burton going overboard in accusing Christa of doing something with the fish."

I suppose that Sandra's intent would define the act. However, her plan to sabotage the camp (prior to Burton's elimination) does show a pattern of lawlessness.

"Won't happen. Nothing's happening with Stacey Stillman's lawsuit from S1 where MB allegedly encouraged her to vote for someone else to save Rudy from the boot. If she wasn't going to succeed after that or the producers do anything to Colby for his infraction in the caribeener challenge in S2:Australia, then nothing is going to happen with Sandra in this case."

I suppose you're right. Lawsuits of this nature probably won't materialize. After seven series and a few lawsuits the producers probably have the contracts woven tight enough to protect themselves from suits based on their rule enforcement decisions. I guess they define what is fair play. They make the rules.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •