The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"More from Ryno"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-20-03, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"More from Ryno"
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID2&conf=DCConfID1

Ryan O. tells all -- well, as much as CBS allows

At least one person on "Survivor" thinks it's time for little Lil to turn in her Boy Scout uniform.

"Lil played terribly in the beginning, but she was nice and sweet and just wanted to do good for her family and win some money," says Ryan Opray, 30, Redwood City native and current Los Gatos resident during a recent phone interview. "Then when she got a second chance to come back on the show after getting voted out of the tribe, she changed. Maybe she should have taken off that Boy Scout uniform.

"Andrew (Savage) said it best when he was on (David) Letterman after he got voted off: 'It's pretty bad when you can trust the attorney and not the Boy Scout leader.'"

Opray, better known as "Ryno" on "Survivor," got the boot last week and became the first ousted member to become a part of the jury which will de-

cide who the ultimate survivor will be -- and, thus, who will cash in on that million buck prize.

And it probably won't be Lillian Morris, 51, if Opray has a say.

As part of the twists and turns in "Survivor" this season, producer Mark Burnett threw quite a jolt into the game when he decided to have the two tribes, Morgan and Drake, go up against a new tribe made up of contestants who had been kicked out of their tribes during earlier tribal councils.

As a result, two new tribe members were allowed to come back: Lil and Burton Roberts, 31, of San Francisco.

A bit of a flap occurred early on when Websites reported that Burton had won "Survivor," according to inside information. There was even a rumor that friends of contestant Sandra Diaz-Twine, 29, of Ft. Lewis, Wash., were running across the border to Canada to place bets on Burton.

When Burton was booted off, it seemed as if the reports were all bogus. Then Burton returned. But he's still a front-runner in the first to get the boot, according to what seems to be unfolding on the show.

Ah, the intrigue. The rumors. The twists. It's all part of the "Survivor" mystique and the reason why this show consistently pops up in the top 5 in the Nielsen ratings.

Opray says he has no problem with how he was portrayed in the show.

"I got edited to be the nice guy. There were times when I blew up and screamed and had attitude, but that wasn't shown," Opray says. "I guess someone in the editing room liked me."

What about Rupert Boneham, the 39-year-old troubled teen mentor from Indianapolis, who seems to need a little anger management mentoring himself?

"Rupert is a teddy bear. I befriended him immediately, and he taught me how to fish. He only yelled at me one time, when he stuck me in the hand with a spear while I was trying to push the fish into the bag. It was the only time we ever got into it," Opray says. "Rupert and I got along, although he did scare almost everyone else in the tribe."

As for misconceptions about the show, Opray's a little surprised as he watches how the show portrays Jon Dalton, 29, as being slightly nutty.

"Jonny Dalton and (his 'Survivor' alter ego) Jonny Fairplay are two different people. He's not a jerk, but after watching him on TV, people want to kill him," Opray says with a laugh. "He's a normal guy who can be pretty annoying at times. OK, I probably wanted to kill the guy a couple of times."

At times, even at the worst when his tribe was struggling for food, Opray says he thought he might like to live on the island full time.

"Andrew and I were talking one time and said we could live here," Opray says. "Then we looked at each other and said, 'Well, if we could fish we could stay here.'"

As for who he hopes will win it all, Opray doesn't skip a beat: Darrah Johnson, the 22-year-old mortician from Mississippi.

"We have a good relationship, I'd take of her and she'd take care of me. (The tribe members) would say, 'Go with your wife and get food.' It was funny, because nothing was really going on between us," Opray says.

Opray says he'll probably go back to work as a carpenter in Los Gatos because "I need money." But he hopes to pursue acting.

And he hopes to make the "Survivor: All-Stars," featuring 18 contestants from past editions of the CBS reality series.

The extravaganza premieres after Super Bowl XXXVIII on Sunday, Feb. 1. The players, to be announced later, will be vying for a $1 million prize and bragging rights to the title "Ultimate Sole Survivor."

--------------------------------

Boy, this guy cannot stop rooting for Darrah to win S7. And now he's rooting for Lillian to lose too. Hmmm.

And how nice that Ryno hopes he makes ASS -- is he so clueless he doesn't know it's already filming? Or maybe the reporter botched up something there, since there are other errors -- Burton was given the best odds early on one site, but I don't remember any spoiler about him winning. The Vancouver bets were placed on Sandra, not Burton.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: More from Ryno I_AM_HE 11-20-03 1
   Rynos Kiss of Death for Darrah? mavsfan 11-21-03 3
       RE: Rynos Kiss of Death for Darrah? ExInterper 11-21-03 4
 RE: More from Ryno queencityfan 11-20-03 2
   RE: Darrah KObrien_fan 11-22-03 5
       RE: Darrah PepeLePew13 11-22-03 6
           RE: Darrah KObrien_fan 11-22-03 7
           RE: Darrah tapestry 11-22-03 8
           RE: Darrah GuessItRains 11-23-03 9
               RE: Darrah I_AM_HE 11-23-03 10
                   RE: Darrah VerucaSalt 11-23-03 11
                       RE: Darrah volsfan 11-23-03 12
                           RE: Darrah pdragonfly 11-23-03 13
                               RE: Darrah VerucaSalt 11-23-03 14
                                   RE: Darrah volsfan 11-23-03 15
                                       RE: Darrah pdragonfly 11-23-03 16
                                           RE: Darrah volsfan 11-23-03 17
                                               RE: Darrah Sneezles 11-24-03 19
                                                   RE: Darrah volsfan 11-24-03 21
       RE: Darrah Loree 11-24-03 18
           RE: Darrah pdragonfly 11-24-03 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-03, 06:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: More from Ryno"
I can't believe MB would allow him to so blatantly root FOR Darrah and AGAINST Lillian if those were the final 2. One of them, probably, but I just can't see both.

Then again, if he really thinks he might make ASS, rather than just bare it, he might well unwittingly give the F2. Who knows?

mavsfan 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-21-03, 00:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mavsfan Click to send private message to mavsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Rynos Kiss of Death for Darrah?"
I don't remember ANY prior SURVIVOR where a booted player accurately refrenced the final 2.

In fact, in the past, when a player was making the inverview rounds, a comment of "I hope PlayerX Goes Far" has in my mind been a sure sign that PlayerX WOULD NOT make it further than loser lodge.

Maybe this time is different, but in my opinion Ryno pulling for Darrah is a virtual guarantee that she doesn't make the final 2.

ExInterper 3093 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-21-03, 00:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ExInterper Click to send private message to ExInterper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rynos Kiss of Death for Darrah?"
The only one I can think of is Tanya (I think) from S5 who said she hoped Brian went far. Granted, she was booted second, so she really wouldn't know how well people did at the time, but there is a precedent.

"Let's hope Osten doesn't smoke. He might decide to quit breathing." - Jims02, Ep 7a Summary

queencityfan 123 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-20-03, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail queencityfan Click to send private message to queencityfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: More from Ryno"
It continues to amaze me that Andrew and Rhino take no responsibility for their loss.

Why in heavens name should Lil trust either one?

She may not be much of a player but she understood who voted her off, and then made no effort to win her back.

We seem to learn about D only through these exit interviews, will MB ever focus on her? I'd hate a "V" win.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

11-22-03, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Darrah"
I went back and watched all of the audition videos for the final 8 the other day, to see if I could get any further insight on their pregame mentality. Johnny Fairplay was just the same as he is now, so was Rupe, Sandra, Christa, Burton, and Tijuana. Lill spouted off about the scouts giving her pledge and all, not real interesting stuff at all. Darrah was the biggest surprise. Her audition tape was hilarious, she showed some skin, she talked very confidently, and in short was a totally different person then what we have been shown so far.

Is that because of how she is being edited, or perhaps because that is how she has intended to play the game so UTR? It also strikes me as odd that on day 9 when approached by T she barely had anything to say about herself to convince the tribe to keep her, was that reverse pyscology because she knew she was stronger then Lill and figured the others would come to that conclusion on their own? Or was her early bond with Ryno enough to make her feel confident that they would oust Lill and not her?

There is a lot left to figure out about Darrah...

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

11-22-03, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Darrah"
LAST EDITED ON 11-22-03 AT 10:25 AM (EST)

>Darrah was the biggest surprise. Her audition
>tape was hilarious, she showed
>some skin, she talked very
>confidently, and in short was
>a totally different person then
>what we have been shown so far.
>
>Is that because of how she
>is being edited, or perhaps
>because that is how she
>has intended to play the
>game so UTR? It also strikes me as odd
>that on day 9 when approached by T she barely
>had anything to say about
>herself to convince the tribe
>to keep her, was that
>reverse pyscology because she knew
>she was stronger then Lill
>and figured the others would
>come to that conclusion on
>their own?

I really feel there is much more than what we're being shown -- I'll bet you $5 that Darrah did fight to stay and explain why she should be kept ahead of Lillian in Ep.3 but that part was left on the cutting room floor.

One of these days, I'll post my observations from the conversations I had with Christy while she was in my hometown at the end of September, I learned a lot of things about how they edit Survivor and how they do things in the show that you'll never see on TV. I was surprised at a number of things that went on during S6 upon hearing it from Christy (i.e. Jenna really got a hatchet job from the editors and Matthew was edited far more positively than he probably deserved to be). What I'm saying here ties in with what's been posted above in this thread -- Darrah is likely being well-hidden to take attention away from her as a potential winner (I wouldn't be surprised if she goes in Ep.11 which is traditionally the 'clueless-beauty-gets-booted' episode), and I think we're going to see a LOT more of Sandra as a manipulator or go-between in the next few episodes.

Heidi: My biggest assets to the tribe are my athletic skills and my intelligence. I've lost one of them.
Jiffy: Which one?

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

11-22-03, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Darrah"
Exactly Pepe, I believe that this is more editing then anything else. Quote's from D's boyfriend also show a different side of her, I don't remember now exactly what he said but it was something to the affect that she was "tough, a real survivor" and that he thought she had what it takes to go all the way. Not to mention all of Ryno's enthusiasm about her. I think she is clearly being kept hidden from us by the editors and I expect that to change very soon too.

tapestry 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-22-03, 11:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tapestry Click to send private message to tapestry Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Darrah"
>I really feel there is much
>more than what we're being
>shown -- I'll bet you
>$5 that Darrah did fight
>to stay and explain why
>she should be kept ahead
>of Lillian in Ep.3 but
>that part was left on
>the cutting room floor.

Pepe, you are so right. I know Darrah personally and she would never give up without a fight. I think the editing has really not shown her true character. I feel that she is playing strategically by staying in the background, knowing that she would have been gone by now if she had been more vocal.

Please be nice, this is my first post but I have been reading this forum since the beginning of S7.

GuessItRains 700 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-23-03, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GuessItRains Click to send private message to GuessItRains Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Darrah"
Pepe, I can't wait to hear your Christy insights on S6! Hope you get the time soon.

As far as Darrah goes, I would guess it's a combination of editing and harsh conditions. Darrah probably is having a somewhat tough time with the harsh conditions and so isn't as "exciting" as she was on her audition tape. But it's also clear that she's being hidden so we don't get much of a sense of what is going on with her. That could be because either a) She gets voted out before the Final 4 and MB needs to spend more time editing his finalist, so her interesting story gets relegated to the sidelines, or b) She makes it to the Final 2, and MB wants "suspense" as to whether she can beat Lillian among his non-spoiling viewers (by portraying her as lazy, weak, boring, etc.) even though Darrah would surely trounce Lil in the final.

P.S. Welcome tapestry. Hope you enjoy our boards!

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-03, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Darrah"
or c) there's absolutely nothing interesting about her in the first place

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

11-23-03, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Darrah"
Darrah stated part of her strategy was to use her looks as a tool. I think I have no trouble believing that assisted her in at least making sure Ryno kept her around when there was indication that Darrah would go before other Morgans.

How you THINK you are going to play the game and how you actually end up playing the game can be totally different things. I have no trouble believing Darrah is outgoing, flirty, etc. (I believe I read she was a cheerleader, she was homecoming queen or runner up, she had no problem being in her bikini in her audition, etc.)

However, getting on that tribe and seeing people like NICOLE with her attitude get booted, then seeing Tijuana (who uses her mouth) be in a less than great position, seeing how Andrew dominated the tribe, etc. strategy may have to change.

I honestly would like to think that MB cuts the "stuff" that is not necessary for the story and the people to progress. Darrah is what she is and personally I think her story is what we are seeing. A pretty girl with decent athletic skills who used her prettiness and/or outgoing nature when she needed to but nothing where it was so over the top (a la Jerri) that it really required to keep in. She is staying low in a cast full of big mouths and egos because she is probably smart enough to realize that another strategy she may have considered won't wash.

Sometimes there IS nothing more to show but if she would be the winner, then she still managed to outplay, outwit and outlast. If her strategy was to maintain a nice neutral demeanor among a crew of major Type A personalities who are going to kill each other off, so be it. She made a good strategic choice.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-03, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Darrah"
VS, I agree with most of the things you have said. However, if Darrah does make the final three and possibly the final two, I would hope that MB learned his lesson with VEE in that there is no suspense in having someone win that has no face time.

Even if we think Darrah has chosen to play the game UTR, I hope that MB picks other things to show from Darrah that doesn't give us another finale like Vee winning. That was such a terrible show (IMO). This version has been such a great series and I would be so bummed to have someone UTR win it all.

pdragonfly 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-23-03, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdragonfly Click to send private message to pdragonfly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Darrah"
LAST EDITED ON 11-23-03 AT 06:12 PM (EST)

Ugh!
So far this season we have seen the following people highlighted and given a goodly amount of airtime:

Osten: quit, but was a favorite to bash while it lasted
Rupert: got the MOST airtime next to Osten - booted
Andrew: Mr. Armani stood out for looks and tears - booted
Ryan: the hapless fisherman, voted most likely to fail - booted

Jon: the shrill of the group, loves the camera and attention - still in
Sandra: admits to saying ugly things at TC - still in
Lil: self proclaimed bi*ch and scumbag - still in
Burton: camera loves to see him flex - still in

Christa - not as much airtime as these others, until this week with the whole food issue. - slated next to go.

T & D - not much, don't know them, don't care about them. Still there, but who are they really? Lack personality. Not camera friendly.

Would it be much of a show if these two were highlighted over the others? Even the iguana had more of a personality.
We might as well enjoy everyone else while they still have airtime, cause I'm seeing a pretty boring final 3.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

11-23-03, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Darrah"
The problem is (IF Darrah is that winner.......) MB can only do what he can do with the person, period.

If Darrah did indeed take this approach and there is NOTHING to highlight, then you do the next best thing. Showcase the theme, showcase the villians, showcase the twists and perhaps in an UTR situation, give the impression that in the midst of all this chaos, those who did not follow suit, got to the top.

volsfan, Vee was (to a good majority) a horrific and botched editing job. I believe that MB did the Inveesible editing on purpose as an new and interesting device in misdirecting the viewers but from what I recall, Vee was an extremely strategic player but WAS hidden.

I don't necessarily believe MB would EVER do that again and in fact we saw an almost step by step approach by Brian the following season coupled with the fact he allowed the audience to see Brian for what he was even before the contestants did.

At this point, IMO (which is often dead wrong lol) I think MB is focusing the audience on the deceptions, the chaos, the personalities butting heads and or trying to take over. Darrah's approach to this game (if the opposite end of the spectrum) may just be his showcasing how those who stay back from the fray and allow others to perform mutiny, cheating, stealing, lying, etc. will be the victor.

Is it unsatisfying? Yes, to me anyway. But I've come to the conclusion that Mark Burnett is telling his story his way for his purposes. Whether the outcome generates a positive or negative reaction doesn't matter because it is still going to elicit a reaction and he wants that.

However, as a lot of you know, I don't "fit" the show to the spoilers but I wanted to point out how it could be if, in fact, Darrah is the one and this is all we are getting.

11-23-03, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Darrah"
Great analysis VS!

I agree with you in that MB is telling HIS story. However, even if someone chooses to play the game UTR, they have to talk to someone and make general conversation. Darrah and Ryano had to have chats about something. Things like this would at least give us some insite to her likes and dislikes.

Also, if Darrah has chosen the UTR way of playing the game and she does make it far into the game...why not let her narrorate (sp?) the episodes like Andrew did?

I just think it is a terrible waste to hide people like this. However, I do agree with you that he (MB) is concentrating on the lies and deceit that is going on. But, once they are gone and Darrah is left...WHAT THEN?

11-23-03, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdragonfly Click to send private message to pdragonfly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Darrah"
Why would MB put this pic out there if she's going far?
Maybe he can't stand her drawl either.

11-23-03, 07:19 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Darrah"
TOO FUNNY!

Sneezles 114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-24-03, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sneezles Click to send private message to Sneezles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Darrah"
Now y'all need to be nice to those of us with drawls......

Sneezy

(Go Razorbacks! Beat LSU!)

11-24-03, 03:22 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Darrah"
I agree Sneezy! I am rooting the backs too!

GO VOLS!

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

11-24-03, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Darrah"
I always wonder if Darrah did fight to stay in the game over Lil. All we heard was what T and Andrew said about it. Maybe T just told Andrew that Darrah hadn't said anything. Darrah and T may have had a strategy for that, or T did. The editing doesn't always let you know what really happened, only what we are told happened. We never saw Darrah in a confessional saying she didn't fight to stay in the game. We do know that Ryan fought to keep her. Ryan and Andrew have both talked about Darrah and her personality and that she was fun and worked. They did not see her as we do. MB is just not showing her. And only he knows why. My guess is that he wanted to spend time telling the story of the players who were booted before her. Maybe now that Rupert is gone we will see more of Darrah and find out how close she is with T. Do they have a strategy? If she is the winner I expect to see Darrah focused on more in the next few eps. But if she is continued to be hidden. I think she was just considered not important to the storyline. And she doesn't make final 2. The Rupert story is now over. Time to focus on Darrah if she makes final 2. Otherwise she is just another UTR player that didn't win or make great TV.

11-24-03, 02:23 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Darrah"
I went and counted all the vids at Survivor Phoenix:
Sandra: 48
Burton:47
Christa: 37
T: 30
D:29
Jon: 25
Lil: 18
Jeffy: 5

Who knows if it makes a difference. She is seen talking with Burton while he's chopping something, so an alliance could be forming there between the two of them. If that's the case he's not too interested or else he would have stopped and looked at her.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •