The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Family - Episode 3"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

BriarRosie 990 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-19-03, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BriarRosie Click to send private message to BriarRosie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Family - Episode 3"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-03 AT 09:06 AM (EST)

I'm so glad I didn't miss the show this week as I had last week.
The more I see the show, the more I'm liking it!

I'm going to go in for the kill:

It looks like our bald, tattooed Mike is now one of The Untouchables. I seriously doubt that any family member will wish to put Mike up again in the near future, because Maria was probably the only other family member as well liked by the staff as he is.

Best Moment: The Kitchen Table

Didn't you just love the looks on the faces of Rob and Melinda as they saw their TV dinners? What brilliant irony to have the chef announce the succulent dishes for the barbecue, and then spring the surprise on the two Outcasts. At least the presentation of the TV dinners looked nicer than when I
pop in a Lean Cuisine. (And what's with the attitude of, "I don't make TV dinners for myself at home, let alone here!"
In the immortal words of Mr. Potato Head from the movie, "Toy Story": "You uncultured swine!"

I think that "Toy Story" quote should be the official mantra of the staff when referring to most members of the Family.

Worst Moment:

Dawn Marie whining to the stylist that her pants were two sizes too big. I think DM might have felt humiliated by it, but it was no reason to berate someone. She should have apologized, IMHO. (But that wouldn't be typical Family behavior, no?)

The Challenges:

I liked the regatta thing. I was rooting for the blue team to win solely because Aunt Donna and Uncle Mike were on the red team. I was impressed by how well Anthony's team worked together. The Lear Jet experience looked very cool, indeed.

Elimination:

It's too bad that they couldn't play tennis for elimination.
Instead, we were treated to the glamorous coveralls and bow ties for drink balancing. Was anyone else miffed that Aunt Donna and Uncle Mike were paired by the same hors d'ouevre? Auggh!

Let's compare Mike and Maria.

Mike:

He's shown still being the good guy, showing compassion for the butler's discomfort in the heat, and good natured joking with the housekeeper about coffee. The guy has won the staff over by his sincerity. He's a diamond in the rough in their eyes, and even Ringo can't find a reason to dislike him.

Maria:

She's the staff favorite for adapting to the lifestyle. It wasn't lost on me that she seemed very comfortable in the rich girl role when she was exercising while Ringo went over her schedule. She won points for being the one person who would not be the "fish out of water" in social situations.

If Maria had been paired for elimination with anyone else but Mike, she'd still be in the game. I am still rooting for her to be brought back into the game, but I do want Mike to win.

Lori

Survivor: Adventurers Club
Outdrink, Outlaugh, Outkungaloosh!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 sorgee 03-19-03 1
 kind of boring toddE 03-19-03 2
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 SurvivinDawg 03-19-03 3
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 BriarRosie 03-19-03 6
 Right On Sleeping Beauty! SurvivaBear 03-19-03 4
   RE: Right On Sleeping Beauty! BriarRosie 03-19-03 7
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 Loree 03-19-03 5
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 BriarRosie 03-19-03 8
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 GeorgiaBelle 03-19-03 10
       RE: The Family - Episode 3 munson 03-19-03 11
           LOL! GeorgiaBelle 03-20-03 14
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 katem 03-19-03 9
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 shakes the clown 03-20-03 12
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 SurvivinDawg 03-20-03 13
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 SurvivaBear 03-20-03 15
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 DEVILRAYS 03-21-03 16
 RE: The Family - Episode 3 munson 03-26-03 17
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 SurvivorBlows 03-27-03 18
   RE: The Family - Episode 3 Loree 03-27-03 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sorgee 1455 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-19-03, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sorgee Click to send private message to sorgee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
i am hoping for a mike win as well. he looks a bit tough, but he is being edited as a big ol' softee that is really concerned with the people around him.
(would consider having mike's love child. grrrrr he's sexy...)

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-03, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "kind of boring"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-03 AT 09:37 AM (EST)

It was all right. It would appear that Dawn Marie and Cousin Mike are in till the near-end, with probably either Uncle Michael or Aunt Donna against them as "the villain." Too bad Maria got the axe, maybe she'll be back.

The episode just didn't grab me.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-19-03, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
Thanks for the update , as I did manage to miss the show .

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

03-19-03, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BriarRosie Click to send private message to BriarRosie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
I realized that I missed the pampering segments completely! One morning, the young guys were approached with the offer of services from a masseuse, and they all took advantage of the offer. They're no dummies.....when it comes to this.

You know that they had to mention how "hot" the masseuse was, and Anthony's libidinous post-massage talk was amusing.

The other pampering was breakfast in bed, and it looked fabulous!
I could get used to that, myself.

The other key point I missed was a bit of foreshadowing by Maria.
Since she's on Uncle Mike's side of the family, she felt that Aunt Donna was looking out more for her nieces (Melinda, Dawn Marie, Jill) and ignoring her.

Since you missed the way the bootees were picked, here's a better rundown:

They were all wearing coveralls, so they thought they were going to jump out of an airplane. Nope. They were going to balance martini glasses full of "drinks" on a tray, with teams of two.

Each team was chosen by a tray of hors d'oeuvres. Whoever had the same type of hors d'oeuvre were matched together. Mike and Anthony were the first team disqualified, and Uncle Mike and Donna won. Uncle Mike played the game by asking which team lost first. He picked Mike, expecting Aunt Donna to pick Anthony. Anthony even thought she should pick him, yet she picked Maria to spare her little boy. Big mistake, because she showed a weakness in the game.

Anyway, they were showing a montage of previews, and darned if they showed the golf cart running into George Hamilton. I never get tired of seeing that. LOL!

Lori

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-19-03, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Right On Sleeping Beauty!"
I can't help it, I just love this show. The family in-fighting, snide remarks, and culture vs. swinedom. With characters like George Hamilton and Ringo, the family members are just the icing on the cake.

I, too, am pulling for the underdogs. Mike, Dawn Marie, and to some extent Maria are on the outside of the family. I have been there and I have already developed an extreme disgust toward Aunt Donna and Uncle Mike. I like Dawn Marie, but she can be a diva sometimes (i.e. the "my pants are too big" thing or the "donkey" burger incident).

I love the Dynasty-style opening and the luxury rewards. I also like the set for the Board of Trustees meeting (behind a secret bookcase in the basement?). I thought it was precious that Aunt Donna felt that sailing would be like driving a bus. I also love George's attitude during the luxury challenges. He sits on the sidelines and enjoys himself while maintaining an indifferent watch over the activities. He reminds of Jiffy in this way.

I am sorry so few are actually watching this show, because it is really put together well. It is definitely one of ABC's better reality outings.

Beware the Bear! An IceCat Original, © 2002

03-19-03, 01:15 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Right On Sleeping Beauty!"
>I love the Dynasty-style opening and
>the luxury rewards. I
>also like the set for
>the Board of Trustees meeting
>(behind a secret bookcase in
>the basement?).

LOL! So true! They milk every bit 'o drama for what it's worth.
I even like the "DENIED" stamp and the light fading from the portraits.

> I also love George's
>attitude during the luxury challenges.
> He sits on the
>sidelines and enjoys himself while
>maintaining an indifferent watch over
>the activities. He reminds
>of Jiffy in this way.

LOL! I'm really diggin' him. Heck, I find him sexy, even
though he can be my dad. If I had to choose between George or
Jiffy on a deserted island, I'd have to go with George, I think. LOL!

>I am sorry so few are
>actually watching this show, because
>it is really put together
>well. It is definitely
>one of ABC's better reality
>outings.

Bear, you are so right. Sure beats out the pseudo-celebrity Survivor knockoff. I'm finding it more entertaining at times than Survivor!

Lori

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-03, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
I love this show. It has a bit of everything. Mike the underdog we all want to win. Aunt Donna the b!tch we want to get booted.

I wonder when the other family members will start to notice that Mike always treats the staff better than they do and that is why he is still around? Has Mike figured this out?

I want to know how someone can get back into the game. Do the trustees pick the person to put back in? They keep saying they change their minds about the people all the time. They may regret one of their decisions. Because how a person acts after they are out does tell alot about their character also.

I kept wondering if maybe Dawn Marie just likes to wear her pants very tight and was upset they didn't show off her butt enough so she complained they were too big.

Wasn't it convenient that Uncle Michael and Aunt Donna got paired together. She probably grabbed whatever he picked because it is the way she is. She picked him first for her team and she couldn't pick her son to nominate. I think Uncle Michael wanted Mike out of the game. I don't believe he didn't know who was out first. He said everything to sound like he was being fair. Of course then it made Aunt Donna look bad and Anthony angry. But now they all have to be very worried if they go up against Mike. He is winning over all of them. I do love that Robert put the idea in Mike's head that they have to put up Uncle Michael and Aunt Donna together. I want her out!!!!

And why would the girls turn to Aunt Donna for beauty advice? Eeek! I think she needs the advice herself.

Still loving George. He is like the Charlie (from Charlie's Angels) except they get to see him.

03-19-03, 01:18 PM (EST)
8. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
>And why would the girls turn
>to Aunt Donna for beauty
>advice? Eeek! I think
>she needs the advice herself.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who
think they are God's gift, teach gym class. (Whoops, wrong show!)

>Still loving George. He is
>like the Charlie (from Charlie's
>Angels) except they get to
>see him.

Hmm, I still think he's more like Mr. Roarke from "Fantasy Island". Both are suave, and both seem to appear out of nowhere when necessary. And don't forget his champagne toast
during the "Dynasty" opening!

"I am Mr. Hamilton, your host. Welcome to the train wreck known as...The Family." Works for me.

Lori

GeorgiaBelle 2136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-19-03, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GeorgiaBelle Click to send private message to GeorgiaBelle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
I wonder when the other family members will start to notice that Mike always treats the staff better than they do and that is why he is still around? Has Mike figured this out?

I have to believe Mike is just a very nice guy. When you are good to people they will be good to you. If he continues to be good to the staff he will stay in the game, if not win. Manors WILL get you everywhere.

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-03, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
If Mike hasn't figured it out, one of them has to soon. Come on, are there really that many options to consider?

GeorgiaBelle 2136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

03-20-03, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GeorgiaBelle Click to send private message to GeorgiaBelle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "LOL!"
If Mike hasn't figured it out, one of them has to soon. Come on, are there really that many options to consider?

You win Got me there!

If he has figured it out and is smart he will not share his knowledge. Just saying.

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-19-03, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katem Click to send private message to katem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"

>It looks like our bald, tattooed
>Mike is now one of
>The Untouchables. I seriously
>doubt that any family member
>will wish to put Mike
>up again in the near
>future, because Maria was probably
>the only other family member
>as well liked by the
>staff as he is.

Yup, if the staff gets to choose the person to come back, it's going to be her (Maria, I mean).

I think, as I did since the beginning, that Mike has this one in the bag.

Aunt Donna, if she wasn't already disliked by the staff, now they REALLY don't like her.

Anthony might have made up some points with them, since he was so upset at his mother for not chosing him, to go in front of the of the council.

>Best Moment: The Kitchen Table
>
>
>Didn't you just love the looks
>on the faces of Rob
>and Melinda as they saw
>their TV dinners?

My question to this is. Are the eliminated players at the mercy of the staff, when it comes to meals? Can't they just cook their own food? TV dinners suck and are very unhealthy.

If the point is to separate them from the feasts that the others are having, then, why can't they just go to the kitchen are make themselves a salad or a sandwich?

I guess we will never know this.

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-20-03, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
I'm gonna give it one more episode, but right now I can think of few tortures worse than having to sit through this borathon much longer. Its just sooo borring and nothing ever happens. And, none of the characters have charisma whatsoever, they're just obnoxious with annoying accents. Not an interesting one amongst the bunch.

And the most annoying part of this show is that they have yet to explain to us how they are all related to each other. We get little bits and pieces, but not nearly enough to figure out who is related to who and how. That's a fatal flaw in this show and there's no excuse for not explaining it to us. For example, we finally learned last night that Dawn and that other girl are Donna's nieces, and that the girl who got eliminated is somehow related to Uncle Mike, but we don't know how.

Stupid, stupid show.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

03-20-03, 06:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
They mostly explained who was who's relative in the first show.

I'd sure like this show a lot more if it would preempt some of those stupid NCAA basketball tournament games. Talk about borathon and torture!

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-20-03, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
Shakes-

You don't have to be an obnoxious, womanizing loudmouth to have a personality. (just kidding, don't hit me!) I think some of this crew has a lot of personality. Admittedly there are some really UTR members, but Vee won Survivor.

Beware the Bear! An IceCat Original, © 2002

DEVILRAYS 398 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-21-03, 01:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DEVILRAYS Click to send private message to DEVILRAYS Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
I've watched every episode, and here's what I know:

The fact that Maria is gone and Dawn Marie is still there is a travesty. How it is that the board of trustees kept the inoffensive Melinda over the bitchy Dawn Marie is a total joke, and how it is that Mike and Maria had to go against each other already when both should have gone far has already hurt the game.

I would like to see Mike go far; he has personality. He might turn into the Will of The Family, being put up so many times but being saved and eventually winning the game.

For the fantasy contest, or whatever the hell they call it, IW as pulling for the blue team as well; I believe Mike was the captain, and I know Maria was on board. Plus Aunt Donna, who's obnoxious, and Dawn Marie, who's even more obnoxious, were on the other ship.

Of the three already out of the game, I definitely want to see Maria come back in the end. However, I don't know when that's going to take place, so let the rest of the family, except for Mike and Jill, tear each other apart.

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-03, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
Here we go again! Just like with Mole 2 last year, ABC has decided to pull "The Family" and re broadcast it in the summer. Seems it wasn't doing to well and with the on-going war coverage, the network will look for better numbers in the less competitive summer season.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-03, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
Wow, I missed this week's episode (I keep forgetting it's on Tuesday's at 10PM, I also missed Ep2) so I guess I'm not the only one.

They should just swap it's timeslot with the dreadful "All American Girl" starting next week and stick it after "The Bachelor 3" -- I bet it would probably start pulling in very good ratings

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-03, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The Family - Episode 3"
I hated when ABC did this with The Mole 2. Now they are doing it again? Pretty soon nobody is going to want to start watching a reality show on ABC because they will assume once they get into it, it will be pulled off the schedule.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •